Author Topic: TAR 17 Speculation  (Read 342662 times)

Offline mungobuh

• RFF Not So Newbie
TAR 17 Speculation
« on: May 16, 2010, 11:03:08 PM »
I read a rumor at Survivor Sucks that TAR17 may begin filming at the end of this month. This would correlate with the information on the CBS application which mentioned filming taking place somewhere in the "Spring or Summer of 2010."

Do we know anything else?

I'll be in Italy from about June 4-15 and if TAR17 starts at the end of May, I really hope that I spot something TAR-related while there. I'm visiting Rome, Assisi, Florence, Venice and possibly Naples...three of those five would be NEW cities to visit in Italy. What do you think my odds are, folks? haha!

Offline woden

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
Re: TAR 17 Speculation
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 10:48:11 AM »
I'd say slim to none unless you take a big ash vacuum along with you.  :lol:

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 07:11:54 AM »
I'd say slim to none unless you take a big ash vacuum along with you.  :lol:
Where would you put all of the ash after it was vacuumed?
Ash hole.  :lol3:

(Sorry - a joke told to me by my 7 year old niece.)
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
Be nice to the guy.  Airports in Western Europe just got reopened.  The danger is pretty low now with the volcanic ash.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 03:31:02 AM »
Airports in much of Europe have opened and closed a couple of times due to further ash eruptions. Although the route for TAR 17 is probably already worked out, I'd think the producers will be very careful about their routing through Europe and may rerouting it or skip it entirely. Having a several day delay due to all flights being grounded would wreak havok with the schedule for the rest of the race and may make some planned locations later in the race unavailable. I'd guess that a route through southern Europe - Spain, the French Riviera, Italy, Turkey, places like that - would be safer from ash clouds and therefore more likely.

I'd still say your odds of seeing the race are pretty low, but if you do see them, please tell us what you see. We promise to be suitably impressed and jealous.  :yess:

Plaidmoon
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 04:42:05 AM by Plaidmoon2 »

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 03:37:09 AM »
Airports in much of Europe have opened and closed a couple of times due to further ash eruptions. I'd think the producers will be very careful about their routing through Europe and may skip it entirely. Having a several day delay would wreak havok with the schedule for the rest of the race and may make some planned locations later in the race unavailable. I'd guess that a route through southern Europe - Spain, the French Riviera, Italy, Greece, Turkey, places like that - would be safer from ash clouds and therefore more likely.

I'd still say your odds of seeing the race are pretty low, but if you do see them, please tell us what you see. We promise to be suitably impressed and jealous.  :yess:

Plaidmoon

The only way I can forsee Europe is if they fly in via Russia, and take the train through Europe.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 11:59:30 AM »
Southeastern Europe has a better chance than the rest of Europe including Russia. The normal upper air current this time of years usually heads across Northern Europe and Russia, and Southwest and Central Europe are likely to have good days and bad days with the ash until the eruption totally subsides.

-- theschnauzers

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 01:31:31 PM »
Airports in much of Europe have opened and closed a couple of times due to further ash eruptions. Although the route for TAR 17 is probably already worked out, I'd think the producers will be very careful about their routing through Europe and may rerouting it or skip it entirely. Having a several day delay due to all flights being grounded would wreak havok with the schedule for the rest of the race and may make some planned locations later in the race unavailable. I'd guess that a route through southern Europe - Spain, the French Riviera, Italy, Turkey, places like that - would be safer from ash clouds and therefore more likely.

I'd still say your odds of seeing the race are pretty low, but if you do see them, please tell us what you see. We promise to be suitably impressed and jealous.  :yess:

Plaidmoon

Malta and Italy are potentially accessible by ferry...

Offline kwando1313

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 06:50:34 PM »
I would guess Vancouver will appear, since it's after the Olympics...

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 07:58:22 PM »
I would guess Vancouver will appear, since it's after the Olympics...

It'd be the first stop probably, seeing how close it is to the U.S. (keeps costs down).

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 03:13:32 AM »
Malta and Italy are potentially accessible by ferry...

but from the United States??
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 08:32:37 AM by redskooky »

arun1125

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 03:25:51 PM »
This is speculation, but Phil has used his twitter everyday up till May 8, then 1 comment on May 16, and none since the writing of this post. I think they are sequestered somewhere getting ready for the race, meaning a start is imminent?  :)

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 06:03:29 PM »
This is speculation, but Phil has used his twitter everyday up till May 8, then 1 comment on May 16, and none since the writing of this post. I think they are sequestered somewhere getting ready for the race, meaning a start is imminent?  :)

Probably.  I think there's speculation elsewhere that the Race will start at the end of this month.

Belle Book

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 06:04:55 PM »
They don't sequester Phil. :lol:

Twitter: PhilKeoghan    Now Energy Bars! http://www.amazon.com/Bar-Peanut-Butter-Caramel-2-47-Ounce/dp/B003LPL0GE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1274388652&sr=8-4
about 2 hours ago via web
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 06:25:53 PM »
 :lol: :lol3: sneaky sequesterville. The race is definitely coming but Phil is definitely still on Facebook.  :tup:
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

arun1125

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 08:12:31 PM »
:lol: :lol3: sneaky sequesterville. The race is definitely coming but Phil is definitely still on Facebook.  :tup:

NVM

arun1125

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 08:13:30 PM »
Just, throwing this out do you think its the same person with the fake seattle rumor that started last seasons Toronto rumor?

Considering both had racers visiting Canada first.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 10:42:26 PM »
If Peach says the race is close to starting............then it is close to starting............you can take that to the bank.    I guess if someone was really interested......they could go through the City of Los Angeles website and look for the filming permits..if they are using Los Angeles. Maybe they are using an LA surburb, so they dont have to file a request for the LA filming permit.....that would make sense after the last two races.....

Or guess someone could put a GPS tracker on Chateau........and the rest of us might know when the start is........lol

Personally, I try to check Twitter around 11-12 am for each time zone, just in case they are using a different city this time
Matthew 7:15

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 02:12:58 AM »
If Peach says the race is close to starting............then it is close to starting............you can take that to the bank.
If it is, it'd be the ideal time for a fall season to start taping, at least.  Maybe that means the winter/spring season's applications will come out soon, too!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 10:45:41 AM »
I'm hoping i can put my very useless TAR Detective honour to use for this season.

Last season i merely missed them by around 1 to 2 hours.. :meow:

If i knew they will be going to the Barrage, i'll head there RIGHT AWAY. :'(

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 01:34:05 PM »
I kind of like the idea of a Seattle - Vancouver, BC first leg.  This could also be a way for TPTB to attempt to start the race with minimal detection.  If they started someplace like Qwest Field, home of the Seahawks, then had the teams drive to Vancouver instead of flying, the chances of teams being spotted before they got to Vancouver would be minimal.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 12:04:32 PM »
Boston huh? A nice city with great colleges.

I would have to say likely starting line locales would be Fenway Park or the Bunker Hill Monument.

Yeah I'm going to have to say Fenway Park: it's concealed and there are many public transportation options to the airport.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 12:16:32 PM by Caelestor »

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 12:12:11 PM »
Boston huh? A nice city with great colleges.

I would have to say likely starting line locales would be Fenway Park or the Bunker Hill Monument.

Fenway would be sweet and could happen because the Red Sox's are away all week.

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 12:51:09 PM »
Looking at Boston-Logan Airport webpage at departures for international flights crossing the ocean, I found: (flight times is in Eastern Standard time)
AerLingus 136 to Dublin 620P
Air France 337 to Paris 540P
American 108 to London-Heathrow 715P
American 146 to Paris 645P
Delta 320 to Amsterdam 650P
Lufthansa 423 to Frankfurt 450P
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 12:57:52 PM by mjriches2005 »

Offline Mandoli

• hahahaha NO!
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 12:53:48 PM »
Looking at Boston-Logan Airport webpage at departures for international flights, I got: (flight times is in Eastern Standard time)
AerLingus 136 to Dublin 620P
AirCanada 359 to Toronto 1104A
AirCanada 36

Are they taking a direct flight for this first leg, or are they hitting another airport on the way?
I thought that when we fought, I was to blame
Now I know you play a different game
I've seen you dance with danger; still wanting more
Add another number to the score