Author Topic: Taking bets on the first leg of TAR17?  (Read 44544 times)

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
Re: Taking bets on the first leg of TAR17?
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 03:24:33 PM »
West: North of Asian Russia?

What's north of Asian Russia?

Something like Magadan, or like such as... you know.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 08:56:06 AM by DavidMV »

Offline Solarius

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 06:58:24 PM »
East: Brazil
West: Australia

Offline Mr. Seattle

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 10:34:25 PM »
West- Start in either Seattle, San Francisco, or LA, and go to Cambodia, and then hopefully the 2nd leg will be in a tiny island country like Micronesia or Fiji

East-Start in LA or NYC, and go to Morocco

Offline static_edrei

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 05:02:48 PM »
hi guys.. newbie..

hope they'll try this route.. did they already taken this route in previous Seasons?

East to West    Start (Oregon)

Australia--Southeast Asia (Laos or Phils.)---South Asia (Sri Lanka(safe now here)/Maldives(same as Seychelles))
--Mideast (BAhrain)

--- East or North Africa --- and avoiding Europe --- divert to South America --- then US (Texas) :duno: :yess:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 05:14:04 PM by static_edrei »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2010, 07:26:44 PM »
:welcome: to RFF static edrei!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline cosmophobia

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2010, 03:09:36 PM »
I agree with Madrid, Spain. TAR has a huge debt with that country. If westwards, I would say the Easter Islands (though is very unlikely to have Chile as first leg again) or Perú, just a little bit of South América before continuing on Asia or Oceania.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2010, 05:04:27 PM »
If they go east, they should go to Brazil, then Spain, then spend a lot of time in Africa, and then head to Asia or Australia/Oceania before heading back to America.

If they go west, they should go to the Philippines, then head to Australia, then spend a lot of time in East and North Africa, and finally spend one leg in Europe (Spain) before heading back to the U.S.

Belle Book

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2010, 05:42:33 PM »
East: South Africa
West: Australia or NZ
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

AmazingDT

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2010, 05:18:45 PM »
East: Lima Peru
West: Canberra Australia or some other australian city

Offline RichInSydney

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2010, 06:36:30 PM »
The FIFA World Cup stars in South Africa on June 10 for a month. I can't see TAR going there during this time due to high prices of air fares and too much else going on at that time.
"I wish the world was flat like the old days, and I could travel just by folding a map."

Offline mariamindy

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • I'm batman!!!
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2010, 10:42:41 PM »
The FIFA World Cup stars in South Africa on June 10 for a month. I can't see TAR going there during this time due to high prices of air fares and too much else going on at that time.

You have a strong point there. Also, I wouldn't say a place in Europe with the intermittent volcano situation there.
How about this: East - Rabat in Morocco, or West - Ulaanbaator in Mongolia... at least it will be fun to hear them say THAT ONE. Hehe!!!
mm!

Offline jerseydude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • It’s Friday, Friday Gotta get down on Friday
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2010, 09:30:36 AM »

You have a strong point there. Also, I wouldn't say a place in Europe with the intermittent volcano situation there.
How about this: East - Rabat in Morocco, or West - Ulaanbaator in Mongolia... at least it will be fun to hear them say THAT ONE. Hehe!!!

Well it could work. Why not fly into a nearby country (Lesotho) have a leg there and then drive into South Africa. And if TAR starts soon then they could visit and be gone before it even starts.

I think Europe is definitely out (unless it's East Europe maybe) cuz of all the volcano's in Iceland. So I'm think it would be

USA--> Africa--> Asia--> Oceania--> South America--> USA
The Amazing Race TV Stars- Marc and Rovilson (Currently 1st)
Victor\'s Amazing Race- Mooyou and Jerseydude (Currently 5th)
RFF Amazing Race Season 2- Redskevin88 & Jerseydude (Eliminated 4th)
Mooyou\'s Amazing Race- Tammy and Victor (Finished 2nd Place )

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2010, 11:28:15 AM »
For the first time ever, we might see South America in back-to-back editions. Africa is not easy to access (the only direct flight I can think of from US to Africa are East Coast to Johannesburg).

I also agree a return visit to Australia is highly likely.

Offline jerseydude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • It’s Friday, Friday Gotta get down on Friday
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2010, 11:41:48 AM »
For the first time ever, we might see South America in back-to-back editions. Africa is not easy to access (the only direct flight I can think of from US to Africa are East Coast to Johannesburg).

I also agree a return visit to Australia is highly likely.

Not exactly. There are a number of flights to North Africa mainly. They may have 1 in North Africa then moving to Southern Africa.
The Amazing Race TV Stars- Marc and Rovilson (Currently 1st)
Victor\'s Amazing Race- Mooyou and Jerseydude (Currently 5th)
RFF Amazing Race Season 2- Redskevin88 & Jerseydude (Eliminated 4th)
Mooyou\'s Amazing Race- Tammy and Victor (Finished 2nd Place )

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2010, 02:33:51 PM »
IF Spain airports are still closed, it is difficult to go to the North of Europe.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2010, 07:28:37 PM »

They went to Mongolia in S10. Peter turned Sarah into some sort of freak show for money. Hated that leg.

Guys, look at possible cities where teams can take a direct flight or connect via an American city.

East: Madrid, Spain then if possible take train to Italy (no ash)
West: Japan or Taiwan

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2010, 08:42:53 PM »
The problem is that even Spain is out of commission.

I suppose it may be possible for teams to go to Cairo first leg, but that's a big jump.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2010, 09:40:58 PM »
ASH is still very much a concern. Both Heathrow and Schipol were closed for some hours today.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2010, 11:32:52 PM »
If they head West (Assuming LA start point) Melbourne, Sydney and Auckland are all directly connected.

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2010, 07:43:54 PM »
For South and East: South America, Southern Europe, or Africa
For West: Oceania or Asia

Offline mungobuh

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2010, 11:07:55 AM »
I'm betting they go East, and that they will go to Rome, Italy.

THIS!! Because I'll be in Rome at the top of June!!

Offline static_edrei

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2010, 04:52:21 PM »
How about coming back to Costa Rica, Ecuador or Panama? Switchback for the first leg...

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2010, 08:48:59 PM »
ASH is still very much a concern. Both Heathrow and Schipol were closed for some hours today.

The volcanic ash according to the British Meteological Office is north in the Arctic Ocean and White Sea off the coast of northern Russia.  Airports are working fine in Europe and the Mediteranean with very little or no volcanic ash interuption.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2010, 07:29:39 AM »

The volcanic ash according to the British Meteological Office is north in the Arctic Ocean and White Sea off the coast of northern Russia.  Airports are working fine in Europe and the Mediteranean with very little or no volcanic ash interuption.

Heathrow was not closed to my knowledge. There has been a flight attendant strike which caused the cancellation of  many national and international flights. from the Associated Press  yesterday:
Union wins court fight with BA on strikes By JANE WARDELL, AP Business Writer

LONDON (AP) -- Thousands of travelers face the renewed threat of disruption in coming weeks after the union representing British Airways cabin crews won a landmark ruling against a legal block on its planned strikes. The Unite union said it wouldn't immediately order workers off the job and instead intended to pursue talks with BA management to resolve a bitter dispute over changes to pay and working conditions - but indicated that staff will walk out from Monday if no deal is reached by then. BA said it was disappointed that Unite intended to go ahead with "its unjustified and pointless strikes," saying it planned to fly around 70 percent of passengers booked to travel over the targeted period. Negotiations between the union and the airline in the months long dispute have become increasingly difficult since Unite forged ahead with a financially damaging walkout in March and BA took disciplinary action against several workers. Unite was incensed when BA turned to the courts earlier this week, just hours before a planned series of strikes totaling 20 days was due to begin. The loss-making airline won a ruling from the High Court that the walkouts were unlawful because of a technical error in the union's ballot of members. It was the third time in less than six months that the courts had barred a major transport strike, including a planned walkout by BA cabin crews over the Christmas and New Year breaks - on technical grounds. Two other strikes are currently before the courts. The decision on Thursday by the Court of Appeal overturning the High Court ruling - in a 2-1 ruling from the three judges - was hailed by the union movement as a restoration of the long-held democratic right of workers to walk off the job in industrial disputes. "This is an important victory," said Trades Union Congress General Secretary Brendan Barber. "I hope it marks a halt to the recent run of arbitrary legal judgments where employers have found it all too easy to get courts to find in their favor and prevent employees from exercising their democratic right to take strike action." Unite, which represents some 90 percent of BA's 12,000 cabin crew, struck a conciliatory note outside the court, saying it was keen to use the enforced break to return to the negotiating table. "We would hope that we don't have to strike at all," Derek Simpson, joint general secretary of Unite, told reporters outside the court in central London. "We would call upon British Airways to go that extra mile ... and allow us to proceed to what is absolutely required in this, a negotiated conclusion." The union is particularly angry about the disciplinary action taken against around 50 workers and that BA removed travel perks from staff who took part in the March strike and this week took out full-page newspaper advertisements accusing "Brutish Airways" of bullying. BA Chief Executive Officer Willie Walsh has insisted that the travel concessions are not part of the negotiations and will not be reinstated. The airline said Thursday it had already put forward a "very fair" offer on changes, such as reduced staffing on longhaul flights, that it argues are necessary for its survival in a post-financial crisis world where demand for air travel has fallen. BA, which is due to report a third record annual loss when it releases its earnings on Friday, has been hit hard by the global economic downturn because of its heavy running costs and reliance on premium fare traffic. The union says it has already agreed to significant savings and that the airline is now going too far. Simpson said cabin crews would not begin strike action until the planned start of the second of the original four blocks of five-day walkouts - May 18-22, May 24-28, May 30-June 3 and June 5-9. BA has been running a reduced service this week, but had been unwinding some of its contingency plans for the walkout - which would still fall over a British school summer vacation period, a long weekend and the run-up to the football World Cup in South Africa - to allow more flights. After the ruling, it said it expected a large number of cabin crew staff to ignore the strike call - as several did during the March walkout. London's Heathrow Airport will again bear the brunt of the cancellations with the airline planning to operate around 60 percent of its longhaul program and 50 percent of its shorthaul service from that hub. It plans to operate a full schedule at Gatwick and London City.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2010, 07:31:38 AM »
I follow the lead of the Australian contingent, RichInSydney and Coutzy, in nominating Melbourne.