Author Topic: EP12*finale* East Coast updates and commentary please read the rules  (Read 113912 times)

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP12*finale* East Coast updates and commentary please read the rules
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2010, 10:24:34 PM »
Peach do you have any idea of what it is?  I am curious PM if you do.. 

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2010, 10:30:35 PM »
When it is all said and done........all the racers are employees of WRP.........they have to get paid something.....or else the EEOC would be on their ass. It might not be but what they would have made at their reg job........but you cant work people for a month and not pay them.
Matthew 7:15

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #127 on: May 10, 2010, 10:43:50 PM »
At one point (Years ago) they published a breakdown of the payout structure from first to 11th place.  I am very curious to see how its changed (for either good or bad).

Now obviously, for myself my desire to race isn't the million (thats a huge perk), but the ability to go around the world (even in those conditions) has to be a huge reward in an of itself.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2010, 01:57:54 PM »
Well, after trying to read all the discussion (here we are three pages later :lol: ) I will briefly give my take on this episode.

I thought the cutting in line drama was a little too rude, and Dan & Jordan could have handled it better, but I don't think Jet & Cord should have been so surprised that it happened. It's a good thing that the "fight" didn't get ugly.

Congratulations to Dan & Jordan!! I was actually happy to see them win, even though I had wanted the cowboys to win. But after thinking it over a little, I realized that a win from Jet & Cord would have been too obvious (and would have confirmed my pre-race pick to win yet again), so I was excited to see what I would consider one of the more unpredictable final legs we've ever had, as normally we see the first team get passed by the eventual winners. Can't complain about the results finally proving me wrong! :lol:

As for the penalty for violation of the six-RB rule: I bet anything that there would have been some kind of given penalty for Brent & Caite at the Finish Line had they not already been last. But since they were already last anyway, I'm sure the producers just figured it didn't matter.

And I am SOOOOO glad Brent & Caite didn't win! Thank goodness. The high standard of physical strength and mental intelligence required to win remains (for the most part) preserved. :lol: But in fairness to them, they did earn their position. Just as the race isn't all about brawn, sometimes it isn't even about brains. DESIRE seems to be the most important.

Two complaints (which I always have no matter how good an episode may be):

One: The confrontation at the Finish Line. Brandy, I have lost a lot of respect for you. Possibly all of it. Whatever needed to be said about Caite should have been said when you were eliminated. And indeed it was. And it was appropriate for that time. But NOT HERE. Why ruin the Finish Line with your selfishness and jealousy? Give it up already. :knuckles:

Two (and this one hasn't been mentioned yet :ascared ): Why did we have to get some random and unnecessary confessionals from two eliminated teams? Could these not have been done when they were eliminated? And if we do get confessionals from the eliminated teams, why not from ALL of them? I see some clear producer bias in favor of the two teams who did get to speak. And, as usual, it annoys me. Now, even if producer-favorites get eliminated, we still have to see them speak at the Finish Line. While other eliminated teams don't get a chance. Great. (:;)

I had to type that all really fast, because I haven't had much time to come here lately. But don't worry, I'm still keeping up with the show!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 02:01:10 PM by Hooky »
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #129 on: May 19, 2010, 03:11:11 PM »

...I Nothing edges out S5 as my personal fave though, with 72,000 MILES!!...
Everbloom. you are too quick to buy the Wikipedia mileage estimate. Although I like Wikipedia more than most on RFF, this is one instance where they have missed it big-time. That's almost 3 times around the earth at the equator! I have done a detailed study of what the real mileage in land miles, not air/nautical miles so it's apples and apples. Segment by AR5 segment, here are my results:

Santa Monica Pier to LAX 10
LAX to Montevideo, Uruguay 4246
Montevideo to Punta del Este 115
Punta del Este to Montevideo 115
Montevideo to Buenos Aires 130
Buenos Aires to San Antonio de Areca 70
San Antonio de Areca to Buenos Aires 70
Buenos Aires to San Carlos de Bariloche 1017
around Bariloche 30
Bariloche to Buenos Aires 1017
Buenos Aires to St. Petersburg 6944 (note: actual route through Frankfurt or Paris would be minor extra mileage, but less than 100 for Frankfurt and 200 for Paris)
St. Petersburg to Pushkin 16
Pushkin to St. Petersburg 16
St. Peterburg to Cairo Airport 2062
Cairo Airport to Giza 20
Giza to Cairo Airport 20
Cairo to Luxor 421
around Luxor 20
Luxor to Cairo Airport 421
Cairo to Nairobi direct 2182
Nairobi to Arusha 143
Arusha to Lake Manyara 81
Lake Manyara to Arusha 81
Arusha to Nairobi 143
Nairobi to Dubai 2212
Dubai to Kolkata 2087
around Kolkata 40
Kolkata to Auckland 6944
Auckland to Rotorua 153
Rotorua to Auckland 153
Auckland to Manila 4978
Manila to Cavite to Victoria, Laguna province 53
Victoria to Manila to Manila international Airport 50
Manila to El Nido Island 260
El Nido Island to Lagen Island 20
Lagen Island to El Nido Island 15
El Nido to Manila 260
Manila to Calgary, Alberta 6831
Calgary International Airport to Banff 88
Banff to Calgary International Airport 88
Calgary to Denver to DFW International airport 1536
DFW to Fort Worth Stockyards 20
Fort Worth Stockyards to Trammel Crow Park, Dallas 30

GRAND TOTAL 43,713

It looks to me that the person estimating 72,000 miles was only off by 29,000 miles.

I do agree with you that AR5 was one of the most exciting Amazing Races. It ranks in my top 3.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #130 on: May 19, 2010, 04:51:38 PM »
I believe the information comes from Phil. I mean, how does TAR 14 have 40,000 miles?