Author Topic: Season 16 = Dumbest Cast Ever...?  (Read 77889 times)

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
Season 16 = Dumbest Cast Ever...?
« on: April 12, 2010, 08:00:11 PM »
I just had to start a thread after what happened on the show last night!!!

I adore the Season 16 cast but after so many careless mistakes and two very personal decisions about U-Turn...

Seriously...?!  

It makes me sick to my stomach that Caite is the last girl standing.

It disappoints me that Jordan (Of Jeff and Jordan) doesn't pour with her heart into the Race.

Joe & Heidi and Carol & Brandy deserved not to be U-Turned. They showed their strong racing skills and they deserved their spots in the Final Three.   :'(

Jet & Cord's Speed Bump task is such a crapload.

I wish the cow didn't kick Grandma's head then Jody & Shannon could have prevented Michael & Louie from going further in the Race.

Non-Bunching in European legs sucked.

And, I think it's the first time that we have the entire Final Four teams with poor racing performances?

I'm sorry but this season is just a big letdown soon as Steve & Allie and Carol & Brandy got eliminated.  :'(

I hope next season will cast the clones of Colin & Christie, Nick & Starr, Tammy & Victor, Margie & Luke, Jaime & Cara, Meghan & Cheyne, Eric & Jeremy, Drew & Derek, Nate & Jen, BJ & Tyler and Dustin & Kadice. Now, that will be one of hell bloody race with all strongest teams battle it out!  :lol3:

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
Re: Season 16 = Dumbest Cast Ever...?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 09:39:38 PM »
I agree. I think Jet & Cord and Dan & Jordan are the only teams that still deserve to be in the race. Louie & Mike and Brent & Caite have been showing terrible racing skills from day one.

And then they gave up a golden opportunity to remove the best performing team from the race. Idiots.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 09:54:37 PM »
Still, it's good entertainment :lol:
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline everbloom

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 12:27:49 AM »
For me this cast beats S15's. That was INCREDIBLY dull.

Coutzy, I wholeheartedly agree!

Luke, Carol/Brandy were strong but not necessarily the strongest. Plus, I feel they don't deserve to win after all the b!tching they've done throughout the whole race...the bungee jump, the WWI battlefield, next the U-Turn.

I wish Monique/Shawne and Steve/Allie would be back in instead of Brent/Caite and Mike/Louie. That makes the F4 more competent and overall better and less dragging.

And if you thought Jet/Cord's speed bump was a load of crap check out Gary/Matt's from last year.

Overall, the cast was good, except majority of the good ones were out by the first half of the season. Now only the two mentioned by Coutzy are deserving of the 1 million.
TAR 17:
Brook/Claire, Nat/Kat, Jill/Thomas

TARA 4
Richard/Richard, Claire/Michelle, Dimple/Sunaina

OMG!! I finally found the cowboys' Facebook fan page!![/url]

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 12:37:30 AM »
I still don't get why people are so bent on the Speedbump having to be a task with a hellish difficulty ???
Isn't it enough having to deviate from the normal course and waste time (mostly transportation) on a pointless task? Check the Speedbumps:

* Kynt & Vyxsin: Yoga
* TK & Rachel: run through a field with blazing fireworks
* Ken & Tina: Serve water
* Dan & Andrew: Learn a choreography
* Christie & Jodi: elephant make-up
* Mark & Michael: wash hair
* Maria & Tiffany: serve soup to a guard
* Gary & Matt: Sauna
* Brian & Ericka: Absynth Shot
* Jeff & Jordan: Make a wall out of sticks
* Jet & Cord: serve tea to a guru

All these tasks are obviously designed just to waste time. IMO, wanting to add another task that is as difficult as a Detour or Roadblock to a team that is already dead-last is just plain sadistic.
The story so far:
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline everbloom

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 12:42:47 AM »
Honestly, I preferred the "marked for elimination" used during S10 and S11. The speed bump has just been criticized for being too easy  B:) while sometimes it actually DOES leave a team in last. The "marked for elimination" was much more interesting and posed as much greater of a challenge IMO
TAR 17:

TARA 4

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 01:05:00 AM »
I still don't get why people are so bent on the Speedbump having to be a task with a hellish difficulty ???
Isn't it enough having to deviate from the normal course and waste time (mostly transportation) on a pointless task? Check the Speedbumps:

All these tasks are obviously designed just to waste time. IMO, wanting to add another task that is as difficult as a Detour or Roadblock to a team that is already dead-last is just plain sadistic.

Well said Dan! I second that!
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 01:07:41 AM »
Okay you can ban me from the forum but I'll disagree with everyone of you.

I'll start with the cast. This cast looks pretty strong, the alpha-male team, being the cowboys of course. Jeff & Jordan looked like Rob & Amber, sadly they choose to imitate the Rob & Amber of All-Stars. After winning the first leg, they really slid down. The difference was that the All-Stars cast were overawed and allowed Rob & Amber two more wins, the cast of Season 16 did not follow the script given to them by CBS. Jet & Cord's wins were never down to luck (I'll talk about that later). Louie & Michael's two wins in France DID come down to luck.

Marked for elimination: Yeah, it did not work for several reasons. In S10, David & Mary took the Fast-forward, and came in first, thus erasing their penalty. It kept a weak (it's true) team in the race. And in All-Stars, it allowed Eric & Danielle to  :groan: win.

I agree with Dan about the speed bump... it was a waste of time and thus the cowboys really had to work hard to stay in the race. They worked really hard and got first. Good job.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 02:08:34 AM »
Okay you can ban me from the forum...

Be careful. It could happen. :lol: ;)

I don't know about this season. I like it overall, and I really do think this is one of the better casts of recent seasons. I just don't think it turned out ideally. The main problem for me is Louie & Michael's agenda of using the U-turn to knock out all the teams they want to see out for personal reasons (or for other teams' personal reasons). It makes me want to puke. I'm just glad that Jet & Cord and Dan & Jordan are keeping out of the shenanigans so that I can root for them.

I do think that this season will go down in the books as one of the most interesting (and controversial) that we've had in a while, and (depending on who wins) could even become one of the "classic" seasons that have the "special feel" that Phil mentions. I'm actually pretty grateful it has been different, though, and for the sake of entertainment it has truly done well. Unfortunately it's been somewhat more "cheap" than the entertainment of older seasons, but I suppose the producers can't really control the actions of the teams.

Hopefully the winning team is a good one. Then perhaps all will be worth it. I'm still thinking that Dana & Adrian were originally cast to be a new Uchenna & Joyce and win the race against the odds. Obviously that didn't happen. But maybe it's better that we get a new storyline instead. We'll see. This season overall is hard to describe, but it's better than 15 through 13 for me at least.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 02:16:47 AM »
I'm taking offense with using the word "dumb." Keep in mind, that these are real people, and they are definitely not stupid in real life. While it's fun to bash what they do on the TV, chances are they're much friendlier than you'd expect in real life without the selective editing.

What we should be criticizing is their racing ability. The teams chosen on average aren't as incompetent as say TAR 13 and TAR 15's...but they are very erratic and are making way too many silly mistakes for some odd reason this season. I blame it on the increased focus of navigation, which had been thrown aside and neglected by the race for far too long.

The speedbump isn't really supposed to be challenging, but it does waste valuable time and can restore part of a time deficit that was lost due to equalizers. Like many others, I prefer the speedbump only because it puts the team's fate in their own hands. Part of why time-based penalties don't really work is that there's not much that can be filmed during the waiting time. Since the race has transitioned from sights and tasks to teams now, the producers want as much race footage as they can get. Taking this account with a financial standpoint, the easiest way to create drama would be to slap a mandatory U-turn...but that would be incredibly discouraging to the last-place teams, considering the ratio of eliminations to the number of times it's been used...

It makes me sick to my stomach that Caite is the last girl standing. Yes, it does.  :'(

It disappoints me that Jordan (Of Jeff and Jordan) doesn't pour with her heart into the Race. That's what you get with stunt-casting!  (:;)

Joe & Heidi and Carol & Brandy deserved not to be U-Turned. They showed their strong racing skills and they deserved their spots in the Final Three.   :'( The "deserving" part can be debated. I admit that despite some flaws, they were above average teams.

Jet & Cord's Speed Bump task is such a crapload. See other people's opinions.

I wish the cow didn't kick Grandma's head then Jody & Shannon could have prevented Michael & Louie from going further in the Race. Oh definitely, even though that team had no chance to win and really should have gone out in the first leg. :'(

Non-Bunching in European legs sucked. We need more Hours of Operation!

And, I think it's the first time that we have the entire Final Four teams with poor racing performances? Jet and Cord are an above average team who suffered only two major setbacks so far. The others are mediocre, but none have made a guaranteed elimination error unlike some of the stronger teams. Unfortunately, eliminations recently have not been indicative of the team's strength...just their incredible bad luck in one episode.

DavidJunior

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 02:37:10 AM »
Okay, Caite and Brent probably made a bad move U-turning Carol and Brandy.

But, let's look at it this way:
a. you have been running nearly non stop for near 2 1/2 weeks at this point.
b. you've been on an emotional roller coaster for the same 2 1/2 weeks
c. you have added pressures do to the stereotypes people have put on you.
d. you're exhausted
e. you're more than likely a bit cranky (a. from the train ride, b. from overall exhaustion)
f. all you have been hearing from/about this one team is that they've been nothing but rude to you, and have constantly been making fun of you.

now, would your natural human instincts make you want to throw logic out of the window, and turn to targeting this particular team?

and if you think about it, even though they didn't get a win, they only placed in the top 5, often times placing either 2nd or 3rd.  Had they not been U-turned, they would most likely have made it to the finale. Which very often, if not always, comes down to a mental challenge of some form or fashion.  Which, let's be honest guys, Carol and Brandy are FAR superior at than any of the remaining teams.

So, actually, it wasn't that bad of a decision after all...

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 09:14:15 AM »
I think Louie & Michael are the only people in this cast remaining cast that may be classified as "smart".

As a whole, I absolutely hated Carol & Brandy (because I loved the Braite and Mouie alliance :snicker: ) so I'm happy they're gone, but on a whole, all the wrong teams made it to the end.

The Finale Four should be Monique & Shawne, Joe & Heidi, Steve & Allie and Carol & Brandy, in all honesty, but as someone else mentioned, it's good entertainment. It's no secret that stupid people are WAAAYYY more interesting than intelligent people (unfortunately). :res:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 09:50:48 AM »
I just had to start a thread after what happened on the show last night!!!

I adore the Season 16 cast but after so many careless mistakes and two very personal decisions about U-Turn...

Seriously...?!  

It makes me sick to my stomach that Caite is the last girl standing.

It disappoints me that Jordan (Of Jeff and Jordan) doesn't pour with her heart into the Race.

Joe & Heidi and Carol & Brandy deserved not to be U-Turned. They showed their strong racing skills and they deserved their spots in the Final Three.   :'(

Jet & Cord's Speed Bump task is such a crapload.

I wish the cow didn't kick Grandma's head then Jody & Shannon could have prevented Michael & Louie from going further in the Race.

Non-Bunching in European legs sucked.

And, I think it's the first time that we have the entire Final Four teams with poor racing performances?

I'm sorry but this season is just a big letdown soon as Steve & Allie and Carol & Brandy got eliminated.  :'(

I hope next season will cast the clones of Colin & Christie, Nick & Starr, Tammy & Victor, Margie & Luke, Jaime & Cara, Meghan & Cheyne, Eric & Jeremy, Drew & Derek, Nate & Jen, BJ & Tyler and Dustin & Kadice. Now, that will be one of hell bloody race with all strongest teams battle it out!  :lol3:

OMG, Luke!! YOU'RE SPOT ON AND I AGREED WITH EVERYTHING YOU MENTIONED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 09:53:19 AM »

Well said Dan! I second that!

After all the Speedbump tasks have been listed out.. i realized... that all the Speedbump really reminded me of the lame FF tasks in the past. :lol:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 09:58:34 AM »
Seriously, i would have preferred Jody and Shannon (performing shockingly like Meredith and Gretchen), Carol and Brandy, Steve and Allie and Jet and Cord in the final 4.

:lol: That could become one hell of a season, maybe letting Brent and Caite to be in the final five so that the hate continues.

ANYWAY, everyone please give credits to Dan and Jordan. They're the only team to feel that U-TURNing Carol and Brandy was a stupid dumbass move.

Offline everbloom

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 10:26:21 AM »
Seriously, i would have preferred Jody and Shannon (performing shockingly like Meredith and Gretchen), Carol and Brandy, Steve and Allie and Jet and Cord in the final 4.

:lol: That could become one hell of a season, maybe letting Brent and Caite to be in the final five so that the hate continues.

ANYWAY, everyone please give credits to Dan and Jordan. They're the only team to feel that U-TURNing Carol and Brandy was a stupid dumbass move.

For some reason I can't frickin' explain, I think Dan/Jordan are the most underrated team of the season. They've done fairly well (being the first team smart enough to search for Allan OUTSIDE the building and winning the FF in the process). They're more competent than Louie/Mike and Brent/Caite. I'd put them on a par w/ Jet/Cord in terms of overall abilities, since both are sometimes careless and Jet/Cord lack mental thinking while Dan/Jordan lack physical abilities.

I miss Steve/Allie!!! Although they were dished the ultimate hatred of the editors of the season, they made the race fun.
TAR 17:

TARA 4

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 10:38:24 AM »
Underrated is right! Ihey are young and strong, and Dan seems very athletic and FAST.

And Jordan is a huge fan of the race and knows all the nuances and things to look out for and strategies such as moving to the front of the plane. I love that they clearly have had a well thought out strategy for this race, and are sticking to it, and it is paying off hugely right now.

Also love how they sass Phil in the Insider Videos. :lol3:

I miss Steve and Allie too...they were a JOY to watch.

ANd loved too how Jordn and Brandy knew who Allan was!!! :yess:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

DavidJunior

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 01:20:06 PM »
I think Dan and Jordan are actually becoming my last minute favs.  which is really weird, because I usually don't switch after halfway (or really leg 2 or 3), let alone in the final stages of the race.

but, they've kind of blossomed into a fun, competitive, and even formidable team.

Good job, guys!

And I miss Steve/Allie too!  But, they were one of the "feel-goods", and we all know that- for the most part at least- feel good teams, don't quite make it to the end.  and the seasons become a little less cheery at that point.  :(

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 07:38:02 PM »

Luke, I've already posted this in the TAR16 speculation thread, but I'll reiterate that the final 4, the final 3, and the entire cast will make some historically bad accomplishments, based on the spoilers.

TAR16 accomplishments (based on spoilers):
  • First cast in TAR:US history to not have at least 3 teams with an average placement better than 4.  (The following two are corollaries of this accomplishment.)
  • First cast in TAR:US history with more than 1 team in the final 4 with an average placement of 4 or worse.
  • First cast in TAR:US history with more than 1 team in the final 3 with an average placement of 4 or worse.

Dan & Jordan or Brent & Caite winning would make either team the first winners in TAR:US history with an average placement of 4 or worse, and the absolute worst performing winners in TAR:US history.

(Thanks to theschnauzers for the stats.)

These are the worst two performing winners right now.
06-01 Freddy/Kendra      45/13   3.4615
11-01 Eric/Danielle    47/13   3.6153

The spoilers have Jet & Cord/Brent & Caite/Dan & Jordan finishing, respectively, 1-2-3 in both legs 10 & 11.

If the spoilers are correct, Dan & Jordan would win the race with 52/12 or (4.3333).

If the spoilers are correct, Brent & Caite would win the race with 51/12 or (4.250).

If the spoilers are correct, Jet & Cord would win the race with 29/12 (2.4166).

Jet & Cord, running the table, would give them a better average placement than Nick & Starr who have (2.4545).  

The problem that I have with elevating Jet & Cord to the level of a great team is that they have made at least 4 blunders on the race: getting Brazilian currency, finishing the intersection first with Louie & Michael but finishing the leg fourth, going to Champagne without double-checking, and not carrying the bottle with them to the Pit Stop in the Seychelles.

A great team would be wiping the floor with these other teams.

AmazingDT

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 08:17:26 PM »
I think the strongest 4 team this season are:

Joe and Heidi: Even with a bad knee, Joe managed to push through and keep a good placement.

Jet and Cord: I know that they've made a few mistakes but they quickly erase them

Monique and Shawne:  Strong female team.  They seemed to have good attitudes and were knowlegdable

Steve and Allie: Very consistent!!!!!  (except for the elimination) DONT TAKE THIS AWAY FROM ME! :lol:

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 08:38:57 PM »
  • First cast in TAR:US history to not have at least 3 teams with an average placement better than 4.  (The following two are corollaries of this accomplishment.)
  • First cast in TAR:US history with more than 1 team in the final 4 with an average placement of 4 or worse.
  • First cast in TAR:US history with more than 1 team in the final 3 with an average placement of 4 or worse.

Can we look at this from the reverse, and say that the TAR 16 eliminated teams are performing better than early-eliminated teams in the past? Or say that this cast is more well-balanced than those of the past?

I don't believe these statistics can prove the aptitude of a group, since rankings are very much a zero-sum game. Statistically-speaking it is equally probable that the entire TAR 16 group could beat every single "great team" there has been.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 09:17:29 PM »
  • First cast in TAR:US history to not have at least 3 teams with an average placement better than 4.  (The following two are corollaries of this accomplishment.)

Can we look at this from the reverse, and say that the TAR 16 eliminated teams are performing better than early-eliminated teams in the past? Or say that this cast is more well-balanced than those of the past?

I don't believe these statistics can prove the aptitude of a group, since rankings are very much a zero-sum game. Statistically-speaking it is equally probable that the entire TAR 16 group could beat every single "great team" there has been.
True. The fact that there isn't an obvious dominant team or that teams haven't checked in in the same postitions over and over again might mean that this cast is better balanced than last season.
The story so far:

Offline docol

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Can't wait 4 "The Amazing Race" 35...!!!!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 09:45:10 PM »
OMFG..!! You're so fraking right..this season's casting (and the locations/tasks) is the dumbest (boring) ever...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is NOTHING in comparison with season's 3-7-10-14 cast...i think the recluting crew should be changed because (obviously) they're not doing a good job.
Here are the reasons i HATE this season:

1. The teams have no passion for the race.
2. There's no so much drama/friction between the racers
3. The tasks are designed for a kids version (put a scarf on a llama?, put a condor costume and jump on a lake??)
4. The perfomances of the racers are no memorables, there's no even one team who should be put on the all-stars season (i hope the producers decide to do it)
5. The decisions they teams made are the dumbest ever, specially on the u-turns...and the speed bumps are so silly than even my little sister could do that.

If they wanna have a really exciting/memorable perfomance they should be copying those teams perfomances: Uchenna and Joyce,Rob and Amber, Dustin & Kandice, Nate & Jane, Nick & Starr, Tammy and Victor and Megan and Cheyne.
"" JUSTICE 4 DUSTIN&KANDICE: PUT THEM ON THE AMAZING RACE LEGENDS SEASON ""

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 09:53:55 PM »
I hate to say this but 3/4 all-male teams in the final 4 is pretty turn off.

That's like TAR 1,2,4 ALL OVER again. Although it has been quite some time since an all-male team won... but then again.................................. all-female team has never............. sigh :(

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2010, 11:37:46 PM »
  • First cast in TAR:US history to not have at least 3 teams with an average placement better than 4.  (The following two are corollaries of this accomplishment.)

Remember guys, the race has an incredible element of luck, particularly in recent seasons. This race, luck has single-handedly saved a lot of the fan unfavorites, while taking out the others. Hence why I try not to dwell too much on which team wins and focus on what the producers should solidly produce: a good race course with interesting tasks.

While I don't complain about ultimate placements, however, I can criticize the casting process. What happened to submitting an application and being heard by the directors? Shame on the producers. Also, I'm torn on the show's malicious intent to manufacture drama. One one hand, it appeals to the lowest common denominator and improves ratings and renewal chances, while the other it seriously distracts from the overall enjoyment of the race.