Author Topic: Episode 9: East Coast live show updates and commentary  (Read 39672 times)

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Episode 9: East Coast live show updates and commentary
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2010, 08:04:59 PM »
OMG, today is officially the day where I'm rooting against Louie & Michael.
Just here to visit.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2010, 08:05:29 PM »
Cops finish zipline as Carol/Brandy make their way down.
Cops get clue, head for the pitstop.
Carol/Brandy get their clue and head for the pitstop.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2010, 08:06:28 PM »
And Louie & Michael finish 4th and are still in the race.
Just here to visit.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2010, 08:07:06 PM »
Carol & Brandy are out. Brandy is pissed. Ha ha.
Just here to visit.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2010, 08:07:28 PM »
Well, at least now Joe & the Lesbians can bitch together about the U-Turn :lol:
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
Carol says she'll explain her anger to Brent & Caite in 1st grade language. That's hilarious.
Just here to visit.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2010, 08:09:45 PM »
Well it was not the best time for a personal reason to U-Turn some one, though L&M using that with Brent & Caite to take heat off of them was smart.  But I don't care for them.  They are exceptionally cocky and when you actually look at how they have performed (not simple placement but time to actually complete) they haven't done well enough to be cocky about anything.

But Carol & Brandy could be mean spirited often (we don't know how much of that other teams saw, but it did occur though most of what we saw was in interviews not in front of others).  So I don't mind them getting the boot.

But it was an exceptionally poor reasons if you are trying to win the race.  I do hope Brent & Caite don't win.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2010, 08:11:17 PM »
Editing makes it look very, very close.
Cops get out.
Lesbians get out.
Both teams try to find Phil.

Phil: Louie/Michael, you're Team #4.  Still in the Race.

Woman: Welcome to Sinapoor.
Phil: Carol/Brandy, you're the last team to arrive.  Sorry to tell you, but you have been eliminated from the Race.
Brandy: No reason for Caite and Brent to U-Turn us!  Dumb did us in.
Phil: They said you were rude to her.
Brandy: I'll be rude to her now. 
Carol: I'll translate that into first grader language for Caite

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2010, 08:11:46 PM »
Jet & Cord promo the CMAs - cool.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2010, 08:13:02 PM »
NEXT TIME ON .. THE AMAZING RACE:

Phil: Down to the Final Four. Competition gets tougher.  Will teams hang on?
Puzzle pieces skitter across the ground in the wind.
Phil: Or crumble under pressure?
Dan/Jordan cry and hug, despondent about something.

Love @ Jet/Cord's Country Music Academy Awards Commercial.  

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2010, 08:13:34 PM »
Well it was not the best time for a personal reason to U-Turn some one, though L&M using that with Brent & Caite to take heat off of them was smart.  But I don't care for them.  They are exceptionally cocky and when you actually look at how they have performed (not simple placement but time to actually complete) they haven't done well enough to be cocky about anything.

But Carol & Brandy could be mean spirited often (we don't know how much of that other teams saw, but it did occur though most of what we saw was in interviews not in front of others).  So I don't mind them getting the boot.

But it was an exceptionally poor reasons if you are trying to win the race.  I do hope Brent & Caite don't win.
I think it was well played by the cops to turn Brent & Caite against Carol & Brandy. Jet & Cord might have overcome the U-Turn quickly, so at least the cops' "U-Turn queens" moment allowed them to live for one more leg.
The story so far:
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2010, 08:21:27 PM »
Well, at least now Joe & the Lesbians can bitch together about the U-Turn :lol:

Joe & the Lesbians will have to bitch about it after the Race or else via phone because Joe & Heidi are still at the Elimination Station while Carol & Brandy will be running as decoys.

I don't think Louie & Michael had to try all that hard to turn Brent & Caitie against Carol & Brandy -- the dating couple and the lesbians can't stand each other so it was inevitable that one team would use the U-Turn against the other.  Were the dating couple smart to use the U-Turn on the lesbians?  No -- it would've been better to use it against the cowboys.  But Jet & Cord did nothing against Brent & Caitie whereas we all know that Brent & Caitie and Carol & Brandy can't stand each other.  This is a case where past history came back to bite a team.

Belle Book

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2010, 08:26:06 PM »
After watching Episode 2 at the start of the season.........Brent and Caite might have developed a different opinion of the Cowboys now......
Matthew 7:15

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2010, 08:35:51 PM »
Oh it was very smart of Louie & Michael to do this, and very stupid of Brent & Caite to (especially at this stage) to do it.

While none of these team are actually strong racers, with a vast number of errors that all teams have made, not to mention just overall poor performances.  But Brent & Caite are if not the worst team the 2nd to worst team.  

And while I can break down the episodes based on how teams actually performed, versus just their placement, Brent & Caite can't.  

But this isn't early in the race (or even mid) its this elimination and one more and then everyone standing is got a 33.3% chance at a million.  To let your personal feelings be the deciding factor at this stage of the race is simply not rational.

Its on par with Freddy & Kendra yielding Adam & Rebecca  who were the weakest team left, instead of going after Kris & Jon.  Or BJ & Tyler yielding Mojo instead of gunning for what very possible is the strongest team the race has ever had.  Both of those were for personal reasons and had nothing to do with racing.  

Of course, both those teams did end up winning (though the use of the Yield in those cases didn't impact the final leg), the idea is to use the tools you have available to give yourself the best chance to win.

Now of course, you wont hear me argue that Carol & Brandy got along with Brent & Caite, but I also wonder if Brent & Caite tried either.

For example, they heard Dan & Jordan teasing Caite before Carol & Brandy ever did.  But they never seemed to get upset about Dan & Jordan for it, but got upset from the minute they head about Carol & Brandy saying the Tiara comment.

As most of the worst comments Carol & Brandy said were not with other people around.  But we heard a lot of mean, evil lesbians hate within hear shot of others.

So I do wonder how much was just from that first comment (they they didn't even hear) or from C & B actually being rude to them in person.  

Offline everbloom

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2010, 08:44:31 PM »
I think Caite just has a hard time letting go of that 'tiara' moment. She started whining about how much she hated the lesbians since that, and it got worse post-WWI leg.

But in her defense (wow! what am I doing??) Carol and Brandy always thought she was an idiotic, stupid, only-good-for-looks airhead. Caite was on the race to prove she was just as smart as everyone out there (though she's doing terribly at that mission) so I can see why she hates the lesbians.

And if my memory serves me right, Dan/Jordan never repeated the imitation after Leg 1. I guess Carol/Brandy never really stopped looking down on Caite.
TAR 17:
Brook/Claire, Nat/Kat, Jill/Thomas

TARA 4
Richard/Richard, Claire/Michelle, Dimple/Sunaina

OMG!! I finally found the cowboys' Facebook fan page!![/url]

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2010, 09:28:55 PM »
I just hope there is another All-Stars and that Carol and Brandy be in it!
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2010, 10:36:31 PM »
I just hope there is another All-Stars and that Carol and Brandy be in it!
I wouldn't hold my breathe.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2010, 10:46:06 PM »
Well both teams that were involved in the "place holding incident" way back in Episode 2 got U-turned...........talk about Karma....
Matthew 7:15

Offline everbloom

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2010, 10:48:47 PM »
I guess that just created negative vibes in the other teams. Also, the U-Turns this season were only used for personal reasons.
TAR 17:

TARA 4

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2010, 10:58:32 PM »
I guess that just created negative vibes in the other teams. Also, the U-Turns this season were only used for personal reasons.
at least they were used.
The story so far:

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2010, 11:01:25 PM »
Another great episode (this season has really picked up from the first few episodes). Not a fan of the lesbian's cocky nature, but their breakdown and barrage at Caite was absolutely hilarious to watch.

Horribly strategy for Brent/Caite not to U-turn one of the M/M teams. Oh well.

Still loving Dan/Jordan and the cowboys. :jumpy:

Offline everbloom

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2010, 11:12:54 PM »
at least they were used.

I feel if it's not going to help your team, DON'T USE IT. There have been previous times when the U-Turn or Yield weren't used, and it was perfectly fine. U-Turns are supposed to be for strategic purpose...slowing down the stronger, if not the strongest team.

And did I mention it's because of the U-Turn that I hate watching ES now. Check out Joe. ugh.
TAR 17:

TARA 4

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2010, 11:22:04 PM »
at least they were used.

And on teams behind other teams!

I feel if it's not going to help your team, DON'T USE IT. There have been previous times when the U-Turn or Yield weren't used, and it was perfectly fine. U-Turns are supposed to be for strategic purpose...slowing down the stronger, if not the strongest team.

And did I mention it's because of the U-Turn that I hate watching ES now. Check out Joe. ugh.

I have to disagree.  While I would not complain about the U-Turn being retired, it's part of the game.  Sure it may not have helped Brent/Caite here, but it didn't hurt them either.  It's likely the last time it'll appear, so why not use it?  Whether it may have been used incorrectly, at least the end result was a positive one.  It knocked out a team.

However, I agree about Joe and ES.

Question to Peach, Luke (if he's still around), or whomever: Is there a rule for or against teams doing both detours prior to the U-Turn?  I would think if I were on the race and had a feeling that I might get U-Turned, that I would take a chance and do both detours (if they're close to one-another esp), and then when I found out that I actually got U-Turned, I'm off the hook.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 08:41:24 AM by revengefullycreative »
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2010, 12:29:04 AM »
Kinda bummed to see Carol & Brandy go after all the unnecessary targeting. Most of what I would say about the U-turn issue has already been said, so I'll just sum it up by saying - poor use of strategy.

But on the plus side it put Carol & Brandy back into fine form. Loved their quotes imitating Brent & Caite! :lol3: We haven't seen much entertainment since Leg 1, so this was refreshing. I would actually dare say that it (along with the aforementioned drama) was the spark that saved an otherwise mediocre episode. Apart from the Fast Forward, the tasks didn't seem to have much entertainment potential, especially the counting Roadblock.

I liked that this episode had lots of tasks, but sadly the only memorable one was the Singapore Flyer Fast Forward. I like watching the thrill tasks, so this was nice. And in another "Ode to Leg 1", this was possibly the first real thrill we have seen since that leg. :lol:

Louie & Michael. Ugh. Their cocky and self-righteous attitude really turns me off. I thought they would just U-turn Joe & Heidi out and be done. But they've done it twice, this time by using another team's U-turn to throw out Carol & Brandy. Surely they should have instead tried to convince another team to U-turn Jet & Cord (their biggest competition), or even Dan & Jordan. I just don't get it. :duno:

Oh, and another thing: Why was Michael allowed to use a counting device (or whatever that thing was - it was explained rather unintelligibly) to count for him? Doesn't that warrant some kind of penalty? I would think that the person doing the task would actually be expected to count for himself, right? Lame, and, needless to say, a bad precedent to set in the name of fairness. Couldn't this be considered about on par with speeding when self-driving? Hmmm...
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2010, 12:51:55 AM »
Oh, and another thing: Why was Michael allowed to use a counting device (or whatever that thing was - it was explained rather unintelligibly) to count for him? Doesn't that warrant some kind of penalty? I would think that the person doing the task would actually be expected to count for himself, right? Lame, and, needless to say, a bad precedent to set in the name of fairness. Couldn't this be considered about on par with speeding when self-driving? Hmmm...

It's a ticker that you see often when people pass through the entrance to a museum or train station. Like the calculator last year, perfectly legit if you actually bothered to bring one.