The Amazing Race > The Amazing Race Discussion

The 6th place curse

(1/7) > >>

Jobby:
Anyone realized that teams with potential to win the race also get eliminated mostly at 6th place too or did decently well but got done in by stupid mistakes like bad cabs or one wrong decision? (mostly stupid mistakes)

TAR2: Mary and Peach (pretty much unexpected as they just won the previous leg)
TAR5: Charla and Mirna (been over performing and doing really well, top of the pack)
TAR6: Jonathan and Victoria (top of the pack every leg until elimination)
TAR7: Brian and Greg (hardly had potential to win, but they did decent but were clueless)
TAR8: Gaghan Family (did really well at first and really had the potential to go far)
TAR9: Lake and Michelle (did better than Brent and Caite are doing now, lol)
TAR11: Joe and Bill (they're the Guidos..)
TAR12: Azaria and Hendekea (hat-trick, and BOOM)
TAR13: Kelly and Christy (were 2nd the previous leg and doing pretty well for the first half of the race)
TAR14: Mel and Mike (won a leg and top of the pack)
TAR16: Steve and Allie (won the previous leg and were top 4 6/8 legs)

And with that, i draw a conclusion that most of my favourite teams are eliminated at 9th, 6th and 4th.

Teams which died under my 6th place curse - Mary and Peach, Tian and Jaree, Gaghan, David and Mary, Azaria and Hendekea, Kelly and Christy, Mel and Mike and Steve and Allie. That's 50% of the time, especially for the past 4 seasons in a row.

BOO!

Dånooky:
On another note, have you ever noticed that teams with potential to win are sometimes eliminated in 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th, 10th and 11th as well? :lol:

Cocoa:

--- Quote from: Dånooky ✟ on April 05, 2010, 04:54:33 PM ---On another note, have you ever noticed that teams with potential to win are sometimes eliminated in 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th, 10th and 11th as well? :lol:

--- End quote ---

:lol3:

redwings8831:

--- Quote from: Dånooky ✟ on April 05, 2010, 04:54:33 PM ---On another note, have you ever noticed that teams with potential to win are sometimes eliminated in 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th, 10th and 11th as well? :lol:

--- End quote ---

Exactly.

apskip:

--- Quote from: Joab on April 05, 2010, 11:42:34 AM ---Anyone realized that teams with potential to win the race also get eliminated mostly at 6th place too or did decently well but got done in by stupid mistakes like bad cabs or one wrong decision? (mostly stupid mistakes)

TAR2: Mary and Peach (pretty much unexpected as they just won the previous leg)
TAR5: Charla and Mirna (been over performing and doing really well, top of the pack)
TAR6: Jonathan and Victoria (top of the pack every leg until elimination)
TAR7: Brian and Greg (hardly had potential to win, but they did decent but were clueless)
TAR8: Gaghan Family (did really well at first and really had the potential to go far)
TAR9: Lake and Michelle (did better than Brent and Caite are doing now, lol)
TAR11: Joe and Bill (they're the Guidos..)
TAR12: Azaria and Hendekea (hat-trick, and BOOM)
TAR13: Kelly and Christy (were 2nd the previous leg and doing pretty well for the first half of the race)
TAR14: Mel and Mike (won a leg and top of the pack)
TAR16: Steve and Allie (won the previous leg and were top 4 6/8 legs)

And with that, i draw a conclusion that most of my favourite teams are eliminated at 9th, 6th and 4th.

Teams which died under my 6th place curse - Mary and Peach, Tian and Jaree, Gaghan, David and Mary, Azaria and Hendekea, Kelly and Christy, Mel and Mike and Steve and Allie. That's 50% of the time, especially for the past 4 seasons in a row.

BOO!

--- End quote ---

Joab,
Your list is a good one, but I can see two minor problems:
1. stating that Jonathan/Victoria were "top-of-the-pack every leg until elimination" does not match their actual record in AR6:
leg 1 #5 leg 2 #2 leg 3 #4 leg 4 #2 leg 5 #2, leg 6 #3 Leg 7 #5
That is an average of 4.14. In the statistical work of the schnauzers and several others, top teams are clearly identified as an average finish of close to 2.0 (which would be essentially top of the pack if Jonathan/Victoria had improved their finish by an average of 2 places).

2. I think you should consider putting Tian and Jaree on this list. They performed well throughout AR4 until failure to load their 2 bales of fabric in Alleppey India as they were getting on the elephant necessitated getting down to load, wasting the time that put them last at the pit stop. They could have knocked eventual winners Chip/Reichen out too, which i would have appreciated. As an overall team, they reminded me of Adam/Rebecca in AR6, with Tian the equal of Rebecca carrying the team and Jaree the wimp like Adam, and also Flo/Zach in AR3 with Zach carrying the team and Flo not at all a wimp but choosing to be of only limited value to her team.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version