Author Topic: TAR16 - EP 11 "They Don’t Even Understand Their Own Language" (Shanghai 2)  (Read 64978 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
The Golden Buddhas are here, as should be the SpeedBump:

Long Hua Temple

Longhua Temple (Chinese: 龙华寺; pinyin: Lónghúa Sì, literally "Lustre of the Dragon Temple") is a Buddhist Temple dedicated to the Maitreya Buddha located in Shanghai, China. Although most of the present-day buildings date from later reconstructions, the temple preserves the architectural design of a Song Dynasty monastery of the Buddhist Chan sect. It is the largest, most authentic and complete ancient temple complex in the city of Shanghai.

Task: Count the Golden Buddhas

SpeedBump: "Coin Toss"

But if anyone could help pinpoint any of the other locations it would be great!!

Speculated locations in post #2, but actual spots would be fabulous!! :jumpy:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
Thanks for the screencaps, georgiapeach.

From the "Language Barrier" footage, Dan & Jordan and Louie & Michael are together so there might be a bunch point somewhere.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
The cowboys can be seen walking the same path/collonade that Boingo mentioned, and the Pious bros. can be seen at the western end of the pitstop complex trying to hail a cab (source).

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Jordan/Dan checked in in daylight, and now they're leaving in daylight. Sunset in Shanghai is 4:54 PM on Dec 18. It looks like we've got an extended Pit Stop - definitely less than 24 hours as Mike/Louie are racing in daylight also, but probably in the 14-18 hour range (For reference, sunrise on the 19th was 6:48 AM).

eta: Dan gets the location of the clue for the stadium RB at 3:05 PM. Add 40 minutes (generously) for running through the stadium and going to the museum, they check in around 3:45. So I'm thinking we've got a 15-16 hour pit stop.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 09:15:23 PM by Zack. »

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
 :lol:  Oh wow!  Google just updated the Google Earth pictures of Shanghai (Pudong and The Bund) with nice sharp pix today... too bad they picked the wrong time of day, however... the long shadows block most of the clearer pix.   :groan:  carry on....  :res:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
I just found this on Flickr...still not sure exactly what it involves, but I think we can say that that area is pretty much exactly where Michael is? Longhua Temple SpeedBump.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Could this be in Lujiazui Park, Pudong?? ???

Anybody know what the building in the back is?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
And no, Golden Buddhas is supposed to be a Route Marker, "Coin Toss" is the SpeedBump, again...take a look at the summary in post #2.

OK, got it.  I was going by the original spoiler which by now has been pretty much discredited, and mysteriously deleted.  I was wondering where all the "escalade" and "coin toss" spoilers were coming from, now I know, secret sources.

And for the record, Coin Toss will not be a Switchback, since it was a Fast Forward in Season One, not a Speed Bump.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
The building behind Mike looks like the Pudong govt building, just opposite of the science museum. So a couple of guesses:
  • D/J went the wrong way and had to double back
  • The teams had to find something nearby before starting out

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
All four final teams were spotted in San Francisco.  So one of these teams must be the decoy team. We have been assuming that it was the cops, but perhaps it was instead Dan and Jordan.  The latest cbs promo has Michael and Louie saying "will be eliminated" after the voice over says "Four teams, one..."  Is this misdirection on CBS part?  A local source said that Dan and Jordan were spotted coming out of customs 30 minutes ahead of the others.  This doesn't make sense since the producers have always held everyone up in customs/immigration so that they start off evenly matched.  Unless the team coming out far ahead of the others is a decoy team which has been sent out ahead.

Just speculation since it is not clear by the source which of the two male/male teams was actually seen coming in last at the Shanghai pit stop.

And what about the stamp task.  Any idea where that fits?

Offline spolarium

• RFF Not So Newbie
tvguide scan

so its the cowboys??? OH MY GRAVY??

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
All four final teams were spotted in San Francisco.  So one of these teams must be the decoy team. We have been assuming that it was the cops, but perhaps it was instead Dan and Jordan.  The latest cbs promo has Michael and Louie saying "will be eliminated" after the voice over says "Four teams, one..."  Is this misdirection on CBS part?  A local source said that Dan and Jordan were spotted coming out of customs 30 minutes ahead of the others.  This doesn't make sense since the producers have always held everyone up in customs/immigration so that they start off evenly matched.  Unless the team coming out far ahead of the others is a decoy team which has been sent out ahead.

Just speculation since it is not clear by the source which of the two male/male teams was actually seen coming in last at the Shanghai pit stop.

Whoa G-man...let me see if I can clear up some misconceptions there.

All four final teams were spotted in San Francisco.  So one of these teams must be the decoy team.
TRUE

We have been assuming that it was the cops, but perhaps it was instead Dan and Jordan.
No. The Cops were spotted in the airport clearly hanging around with production. They ARE our decoys.

This doesn't make sense since the producers have always held everyone up in customs/immigration so that they start off evenly matched.
I have recently discussed this very question with former final three racers. Apparently, NONE of them were ever held up on the final leg to start them evenly matched. I specifically asked about delays due to camera hold ups clearing customs or whatever...but according to the people I asked, there were no "bunching delays" at custons on the final leg. If your camera guys had trouble...too bad.

since it is not clear by the source which of the two male/male teams was actually seen coming in last at the Shanghai pit stop
We have two totally separate sources who happened to both be at the Pitstop mat in Shanghai leg 2. Both of them have independently confirmed that Mike and Louie were eliminated there. We have photo/exif data supporting that as well.
There WAS initial confusion from one source as to which pair of brothers came in next to last...the Cowboys or the Brothers. That team was hatless, and was later positively identified as Dan and Jordan.

Not so far!  :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
It could be postage stamps; another possibility is the name stamps called chops.

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
tvguide scan

so its the cowboys??? OH MY GRAVY??

Seeing that Phil said that... "Oh, my gravy" and what he said about just when we think we have it all worked out... I'm guessing an unexpected team wins. Oh my, not Brent and Caite please! Geez.
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Oh, my gravy is not part of Phil's quote.  It's part of the TV Guide writers text.

Offline everbloom

• RFF Jr. Member
I think the "Oh my gravy" thing is an allusion to something surprising happening since the cowboys are the near-overwhelming favorites for winning.
Oh my god I suddenly want the finale already! I pray these last two legs beat last season's!
TAR 17:
Brook/Claire, Nat/Kat, Jill/Thomas

TARA 4
Richard/Richard, Claire/Michelle, Dimple/Sunaina

OMG!! I finally found the cowboys' Facebook fan page!![/url]

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Recap/Preview:

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: TAR16 - EP 11 (no title yet) (Shanghai 2)
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2010, 01:48:15 AM »

Shesh... Shanghai is more than 600 miles from Beijing. Jamie and Cara were not THAT lost.

I think uycocoa was referring to the title...like how Jaime and Cara were complaining how no one understood them and how they struggled with the language barrier.
Only Jaime did.  Not Cara.

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
I think the "Oh my gravy" thing is an allusion to something surprising happening since the cowboys are the near-overwhelming favorites for winning.
Oh my god I suddenly want the finale already! I pray these last two legs beat last season's!
Nah.  I think Jet & Cord just make up the time lost by the customs snafu.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
There should be a new Twitter promo out later today...if someone can snag it, I'll do screencaps as soon as I get home, prob after 8... :tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Here's the TwitVid:

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
I know the fatigue is really kicking in, but the brothers need to :chillpill:.

I'm surprised the cops made up the time.

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
I finally had the time to download and re-watch episode 10.

Dan & Jordan do tell their taxi driver "That cab.  That cab.  Follow that car." after the fashion task.  It comes right after Louie & Michael make their "crackhead" comment.

Following other teams must be their style.

Unless a team is caught in a shakedown like Andre & Damon, I've always found it to be unacceptable to berate taxi drivers.  I don't care if it's a Tara & Wil situation, "killer fatigue," etc. 

There have been plenty of teams in do-or-die situations that have kept their composure this far into the race.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 07:21:13 PM by slayton »

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
I finally had the time to download and re-watch episode 10.

Dan & Jordan do tell their taxi driver "That cab.  That cab.  Follow that car." after the fashion task.  It comes right after Louie & Michael make their "crackhead" comment.

Following other teams must be their style.

Unless a team is caught in a shakedown like Andre & Damon, I've always found it to be unacceptable to berate taxi drivers.  I don't care if it's a Tara & Wil situation, "killer fatigue," etc. 

There have been plenty of teams in do-or-die situations that have kept their composure this far into the race.

It's easy for you to say about Dan since you never got to race. I totally understand how Dan feels. The communication barrier in China was so incredibly difficult for my mom and I. Esp. when it comes down to do it or die battle for a berth in the Final Three after coming this sooooo far. Nobody wants to be eliminated right before the Final Three showdown. There were times where I want to strangle cab drivers in China for not understanding where we need to go esp. when we were searching for U-Turn for 2 hours! And, not forget about lack of sleep and food... I'm sure Dan didn't intend to blow up on his cab driver. It's just such a crucial time to not make a single mistake of going in the Final Three.

Poor Dan :(

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
When I was younger we had a 8 week choir tour through Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, and China.  We were bused and shuttled, dealt (to a much smaller degree) jet lag, lack of sleep, hunger, and by the end of that 8 weeks every single one of us were showing the worst side of our behavior.  And this is with far, far less stress then what the race puts on racers (and the stress racers put upon themselves). 

Now if this outburst is typical behavior from Dan, then I wouldn't want anything to do with him.  But if this is a one time explosion he has (and so far we have seen no evidence of Dan having a temper, really at all), then its unfortunate, my sympathies to the local and hopefully Dan feels bad for his behavior (as we all should when we over react, and I doubt there are many of us who can say we never have).