Author Topic: TAR16 - EP 11 "They Don’t Even Understand Their Own Language" (Shanghai 2)  (Read 64979 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
credit to Evan for the title!

Press: (thanks wp!)

THE RACE INTENSIFIES AND TEAMS SCRAMBLE TO MAKE THE FINAL 3, ENSURING A SHOT AT THE MILLION DOLLAR PRIZE, ON "THE AMAZING RACE," SUNDAY, MAY 2

"They Don't Even Understand Their Own Language" (Shanghai) - The Final 4 teams struggle with the language barrier in Shanghai while sorting through hundreds of golden Buddhas and thousands of Chinese stamps in their pursuit for a spot in the Final 3, on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, May 2 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is host.

From woden's Timeline, post 1:

EP11: Shanghai, China
EVIDENCE: Photo evidence of pit stop, crew spotted returning to SFO from Shanghai

Air Date: MAY 2

Film Date: DEC 19

Route:
EVIDENCE: Local insider

ROUTE MARKER: Counting golden buddhas at LongHua Temple
SPEED BUMP: "coin Toss" at Long Hua Temple
Unknown task: counting Chinese Stamps
ROADBLOCK: “High fashion” at Tian Zi Fang>>moved to episode 10

DETOUR: Pork Chops or Dumplings at Bridge of the Nine Turns (YuYuan Garden)

PIT STOP: Riverside Promenade on Pudong side of Lujiazui River (Greeter: Bao Xishun); teams arriving in evening (apx 8pm)
EVIDENCE: Blogger who witnessed pit stop

Safe From Elimination at End of Episode:
Jet & Cord (Finish first on this leg, spotted in SFO)
Dan & Jordan (Spotted in SFO)
Brent & Caite (Spotted in SFO)

Eliminated:
Mike & Louis
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 10:18:24 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Work in progress! Will be updated as we know more.

Pictures are thumbnails, click-click to enlarge. Items in red can be clicked for further info.

HUGE thanks to our insider local and to swoonist and to Slowhatch for the original swoonist blog find!!

Teams remain in Shanghai following a 12 hour Pitstop.

PitStart: Shanghai Science and Technology Museum

Teams should be released in the order of their arrival:
Cowboys, Models, Brothers, and then Cops.

Teams travel by taxi to the Route Marker:

Long Hua Temple

Longhua Temple (Chinese: 龙华寺; pinyin: Lónghúa Sì, literally "Lustre of the Dragon Temple") is a Buddhist Temple dedicated to the Maitreya Buddha located in Shanghai, China. Although most of the present-day buildings date from later reconstructions, the temple preserves the architectural design of a Song Dynasty monastery of the Buddhist Chan sect. It is the largest, most authentic and complete ancient temple complex in the city of Shanghai.

Task: Count the Golden Buddhas

SpeedBump: "Coin Toss"

(pure spec here, inspired by memories of TAR 2 and Dan's recent game video:}
Would be fun if we saw something like this?

Teams were originally supposed to travel by taxi to the "High Fashion" Roadblock, which I suspect has been transformed into the "Fashion" Route Marker scheduled for episode 10.
In any case, it was originally located in Tian Zi Fang  

Tian Zi Fang Photo Album

SPEC: Since our scheduled RB was transferred to episode 10,  there could be some possibility that the Route Marker scheduled for ep 10 could have been transformed into a RB here?? (spec)
ep 10 scheduled ROUTE MARKER: in Lu Zia Zui Park in Pudong

Lujiazui Central Green is located in Pudong district in Shanghai. The Greens are situated at the entrance of a Tunnel where you could come across a group of huge steel structures named ‘Spring” which resembles eight flowers in full bloom. This is the largest space which has been opened up by the Shanghai Government. Some of the evergreen grass has been imported.

Lujiazui Central Green covers an area of approximately 100,000 sq metres out of which 65,000 sq meters are covered of an evergreen turf. The shape pathway resembles the city flower of Shanghai, Magnolia. The center of the Lujiazui Central Green features a man made lake which covers an area of 8600 square meters. The lake resembles a map of the Pudong new area. There is a fountain in the centre of the lake that can spray water columns as high as 80 meters. There is a white scenic canopy on the banks of the lake which resembles both a conch and a shell.

The green land is surrounded by clusters of high buildings which are like a new International Architecture Expo. Towards the south of the Lujiazui Central Green is the Lujiazui development Exhibition Room which showcases special architectures and combines Chinese and Western culture. It also reveals the past present and future of Lujiazui. The park is open from 6AM till 10PM.

This location may include something to do with Cadillac Escalades?? assemble toy cars?? Cliimbing?? product placement?? Not clear... possibly originally scheduled for Da Ning Park instead.

< Confirmed as Hong Yi Plaza by Boingo,  

Teams were originally scheduled to then travel by taxi to the
Detour Decision Point located at the Bridge of Nine Turns in the Yu Yuan Gardens:

the walled Yuyuan Garden, still retaining the feel of traditional China, is an ancient park of rock formations, pavilions, towers, and man-made lotus ponds designed by a Ming dynasty family. The zigzag Bridge of Nine Turnings, one of the most well-known sights in Shanghai, crosses an artificial lake to Huxingtang, a beautiful little pavilion that holds a classic Chinese-style tea house. In and around the garden, you will find excellent snack food stalls

Teams travel by foot to either
Detour A: Pork Chops or Detour B: Pork Dumplings
Whether this is Eating? Selling? Cooking? is unknown.

Teams then travel by taxi to the Riverside Promenade and search on foot for the PitStop for this leg.

We were very fortunate that Slowhatch found a wonderful blog written by swoonist, who is currently working, living, and studying in Shanghai.

She wrote (in the process of showing a friend around Shanghai):

We spent one day doing the touristy things of Shanghai.  We went over to Lujiazui to see the Pearl Tower and to go up the Shanghai World Financial Center building - currently the third tallest building in the world (according to wiki).  It’s the one that many of us think looks like a ‘bottle-opener’. After wandering about Lujiazui for a bit and grabbing a late lunch at Din Tai Fung, we eventually made it to the Riverside Promenade so that we could get a look across the river to the Bund on the Puxi side. We are standing around in the freezing cold, next to the freezing cold river when THE MOST AMAZING THING HAPPENED!

A few people run past us. The first thing that runs through my mind was, “oh no, they’re trying to steal my purse!” And then we saw the camera crew. Second thought that runs through my mind, “ITS THE AMAZING RACE!” Well, that was my theory at least.  I’ve always thought it would be pretty cool if I came across the Amazing Race during my time abroad. Michelle and I start running after them and ask them what they were filming for and the guy answers with the two coolest words, “Amazing Race.”

OH. MY. GOODNESS. At this point I couldn’t believe what was happening before my eyes. Ultimately, we found the pit stop for this leg of the race and waited around long enough to:

1.    see two teams check in. Including the last team to arrive. I have no idea whether it was a non-elimination leg or not though
    2.    see one of the world’s tallest men. He’s a Chinese man and quite tall. Though I heard soon after that he just recently lost his title to someone else. He needed walking canes to help him stand though.
    3.    see the production crew of The Amazing Race.
    4.    see Phil, the host.
    5.    say “hi, I love this show” and get a photo with Phil.

The crew in charge of keeping the area clear of bystanders was nice enough to let Michi and I stand around. I believe they let us because they could tell we weren’t locals from our American accents and probably figured we could do no harm. Truth is, some Chinese locals will treat you differently once they know you’re a foreigner ... even if we are ethnically Chinese.

After that cold, amazing experience, Michi and I headed across the Huangpu River back to Puxi where we grabbed some dinner and took a walk down Nanjing Road. It’s just a shopping street but at night it’s all lit up and you can people watch. Weather: still cold

You can read much more about her experiences here:
http://swoonist.livejournal.com/124177.html

credit for all of this goes to swoonist, with a big :ty from all of us.

She replied:

The Pit Stop was on the Pudong side of the river (Lujiazui) along the Riverside Promenade. The exact location was the area that is directly in front of the Starbucks and Shangri-la Hotel. I saw them on Saturday, December 19 around 6pm-8pm (China time). The tall Chinese guy was the greeter.

Thanks to slowhatch, here's an Interactive map link with the starbucks

She was incredibly fortunate in being able to obtain some photographs, and has shared those with us!! :hearts: I have lightened and brightened them a bit so we can see better...

The first was taken in between the second to the last team and the last team to arrive. And the rest were pictures of Phil talking to the last team to arrive.  All photos were taken after the second to last team had already checked in and left the area.  My friend and I ran up to the area just as the second to last team were hugging each other and speaking to Phil.

The last team then arrived:

The exif data for the first photo reads 12/19/09 at 18:55:40

From swoonist:
I dont have many pictures to show because they initially refused to let us take photos. ........  So I was only able to get pictures of the last team to the Pit Stop.  In the photos, you will see the Chinese greeter (in full costume), Phil, and the male/male team that I think is Louie and Michael (tall and short males).  The photo was taken just before the last team arrived and after they had "checked-in" and Phil has that short conversation with them.

originally posted here: http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,21253.msg509067.html#msg509067

Swoonist was also able to confirm the next to last team as Dan and Jordan.
The last 2 teams to check in were both male/male teams. Judging from the CBS website of the cast, I would say that the second to the last team was Daniel and Jordan and the last team was Louie and Michael. The second to the last team to check in were male/male and they weren't wearing cowboy hats (my assumption is that the cowboy team wears their hats throughout the race? I have no idea, haha). This second to the last team actually ran past my friend and me, but they ran in the wrong direction because a few minutes later they doubled back in the direction of the Pit Stop. The last team to check in was a tall male and a shorter male. They arrived at the Pit Stop almost 2 hours after the team before them. It seemed like Phil talked to the last team for quite awhile.

The arrival order was later confirmed by our local insider as Cowboys, Models, Brothers, and then sadly, Michael and Loiue eliminated.

Cowboys apparently arrived about 2 hours ahead of the Cops.

Misc leg info:

Here is our greeter:  Bao Xishun (thanks to graytex!)

While they were waiting for the team to arrive, Phil would help hold up the protective covering to keep the Chinese greeter warm. Since the Pit Stop was right next to the river and it was a really cold winter night, there were a few helpers who would help cover the greeter (probably not in perfect health due to his large body frame) from the cold.

The buildings behind them are part of a group of buildings known as "The Bund" in Shanghai.  They are located on the Puxi (Western) side of the Huangpu River.  So the brightly lit buildings you see are across the river.  There should be information about them on wikipedia. The Pit Stop was on the Pudong (Eastern) side of the Huangpu River in the Lujiazui area (where the Oriental Pearl Tower, Jin Mao Tower, the Shanghai World Financial Center and Super Brand Mall are).

Possible building behind from slowhatch:
I see something here, across the river from the starbucks; it has a similar shape, but the name translates only as "new bund building."

It's south of the Mcbain building. Look at the building with the cupolas next to the Attica nightclub.

I wondered if it could be:
Russo-Chinese Bank Building (No. 15, The Bund) is now the Shanghai Foreign Exchange.  

Here's the English and translated Chinese version (click the thumbnail to enlarge). It's not big enough to be listed with Emporis, but I found a streetview for you. And here's a shot of the Starbucks taken from the ShangriLa hotel.

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 04:53:26 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
Re: TAR16 - EP 11 (no title yet) (Shanghai 2)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 06:55:18 AM »
episode named: They Don’t Even Understand Their Own Language

credits: cbs press express
Singaporean here - PM me, if you need me to translate, Chinese, Malay, English, German or Japanese

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 07:09:15 AM »

Do we see Jaime or Cara in this eppy? :lol3:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline everbloom

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 08:06:24 AM »
Judging from the title, I think we're in for another series of language butchering in this ep.
TAR 17:
Brook/Claire, Nat/Kat, Jill/Thomas

TARA 4
Richard/Richard, Claire/Michelle, Dimple/Sunaina

OMG!! I finally found the cowboys' Facebook fan page!![/url]

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 10:58:29 AM »

I'm wondering if we see Jaime in this episode myself!   :lol:

Belle Book

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 07:31:37 AM »

I'm wondering if we see Jaime in this episode myself!   :lol:

Belle Book

Shesh... Shanghai is more than 600 miles from Beijing. Jamie and Cara were not THAT lost.

Offline everbloom

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 07:52:56 AM »

Shesh... Shanghai is more than 600 miles from Beijing. Jamie and Cara were not THAT lost.

I think uycocoa was referring to the title...like how Jaime and Cara were complaining how no one understood them and how they struggled with the language barrier.
TAR 17:

TARA 4

Offline jerseydude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • It’s Friday, Friday Gotta get down on Friday
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 07:57:32 AM »
Sounds like Brent to me... like his "I quit" in Seychelles.
The Amazing Race TV Stars- Marc and Rovilson (Currently 1st)
Victor\'s Amazing Race- Mooyou and Jerseydude (Currently 5th)
RFF Amazing Race Season 2- Redskevin88 & Jerseydude (Eliminated 4th)
Mooyou\'s Amazing Race- Tammy and Victor (Finished 2nd Place )

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 07:58:39 PM »

I think uycocoa was referring to the title...like how Jaime and Cara were complaining how no one understood them and how they struggled with the language barrier.

I know, I was just teasing him and Belle Brook.

Offline everbloom

• RFF Jr. Member
I don't think many people will be complaining about the speed bump now... it's definitely much harder than serving tea.  :lol:
TAR 17:

TARA 4

Offline serendipity

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Sr. Member
The title suggests a situation like when a team does not know the place, they ask some local to give direction to their taxi driver but still they end up getting lost.

Offline cosmophobia

• RFF Jr. Member
The title reminds me of Rebecca's test of the language barrier to a taxi driver ("He has 3 testicles!!" [To Adam])

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
I wouldn't be surprised by any of the four teams saying it, but I'm going to guess Dan & Jordan for the title quote because they were the ones who criticized the people of France for not speaking English to their liking.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Thank you Puddin! :waves:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
They are heading to the food stalls in the Bridge of 9 Turns, I think.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
 :lol:  hmmmm... appears that "The Boyz" are in Shanghai's Century Park running towards the Space Science Museum... Huh!?!    :duno:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 01:08:53 AM by Boingo »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
That is funny! Wonder why? ???

Misplaced footage...they forgot something... ???

But it is the Science Museum, right?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
:lol:  hmmmm... appears that "The Boyz" are in Shanghai's Century Park running towards the Space Science Museum... Huh!?!    :duno:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
That was a great job spotting that!! I had no idea where that aisle of flags was....

Now, to figure out why?? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
Yeah, but I don't exactly know what so good luck about the coin toss... I mean, off topic here, but didn't Joe & Bill won it, and ended up like a LONG way behind the other teams?

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
Yeah, but I don't exactly know what so good luck about the coin toss... I mean, off topic here, but didn't Joe & Bill won it, and ended up like a LONG way behind the other teams?

That was their fault. Instead of heading for the Pit Stop, the decided to "Sip ice tea in air conditioned splendor."

Offline Lutpay

• RFF Full Member
  • #FishbachOuttaWater
however the challenge will be, obviously, must Caite who do the roadblock challenge :tup: