Author Topic: TAR17 starting line/finish line cities?  (Read 22517 times)

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR17 starting line/finish line cities?
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2010, 07:12:33 AM »
I'd think the two legs in one city trick would be a good way to boost the continent count, say, having two legs in Cape Town or Nairobi or Sydney - they can pick a reasonable hub and have a) ways to get in and out, b) enough to do for two legs and c) not much in the way of expenses.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2010, 08:32:19 AM »
What truly doesn't make since is why CBS has cut the first episode down from either an hour and a half or two hours.  Season 10 is the last season to have the first leg be longer then an hour (something that started with season 4).

It just doesn't make logical sense, the single leg shown over two hours has consistently generated stronger then average ratings for TAR.  And with the exception of the 9 episodes of Undercover Boss) TAR is consistently the strongest demo performer for CBS on Sundays.

And since the two hour episodes are typical designed the same as a typical leg, they just include more of the footage, and show all the actual route markers (Something that often gets edited out).  So it gives CBS the benefit of having another strong performer, with having almost no additional cost.  Its a win, win.  And on a business level makes absolutely no sense.

Now I can understand making the race shorter, as it saves money on all aspects, but to not take the footage you already acquired and maximize your profit off of it makes zero sense.
There is no rational reason for why we don't get 13 hours (even if its only 12 legs and shot with the new 21 day race plan).

I totally agree.

I actually quite liked how TARA does the Introduce the racers pre-show. If we had something similar, then the whole first hour could be devoted to the RACE, not the "meet the racers", giving that first stop much more exposure.

And then there is the reunion show idea....for the cost of a few plane tickets, they could have a whole hour of entertainment...tell me there wouldn't be fireworks sometimes!! Doesn't the Survivor reunion show get decent ratings??
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2010, 08:11:41 PM »
The survivor Reunion show takes a hit (it still does well), but its about 25% lower then the finale episode (sometimes even more) it is of course running in the 10pm slot so its still head and shoulders above what normally would air during that time (Cold Case Currently).

But of course the survivor finale generates higher numbers then what TAR would get, but isn't the reunion show for Survivor where they technically announce the vote?  If so there is no way a TAR reunion would hold anywhere near the level of interest.

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2010, 08:56:46 AM »
The survivor Reunion show takes a hit (it still does well), but its about 25% lower then the finale episode (sometimes even more) it is of course running in the 10pm slot so its still head and shoulders above what normally would air during that time (Cold Case Currently).

But of course the survivor finale generates higher numbers then what TAR would get, but isn't the reunion show for Survivor where they technically announce the vote?  If so there is no way a TAR reunion would hold anywhere near the level of interest.

They could do the same thing with TAR, though, and not show the finish in the first hour.  Then start the second hour with the race finish and segue into the Reunion.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2010, 12:07:25 PM »

They could do the same thing with TAR, though, and not show the finish in the first hour.  Then start the second hour with the race finish and segue into the Reunion.

I've always advocated a 90 minute finale and a 30 minute reunion. Though TAR needs to have a good finale to keep me interested for 90 minutes...

arun1125

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2010, 07:50:28 PM »
I think the finish will be in LA.

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2010, 07:10:18 AM »
I'm guessing the finish line is somewhere in New York area or Texas.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2010, 06:46:54 PM »
It's going to be on the West Coast again unless TAR makes a stop at Vancouver.

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2010, 11:11:27 PM »
I do believe that Boston will be both the start and final city for TAR 17.  GO CELTICS GO!!!  BEAT L.A.!!! :jumpy:

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2010, 12:39:00 AM »
It's going to be on the West Coast again unless TAR makes a stop at Vancouver.

Need more Midwest finish lines (Minneapolis, Detroit, Cleveland, St Louis) Southeast (Atlanta, Charlotte, Orlando, Tampa) East Coast (Philadelphia, Washington DC, Baltimore, Buffalo, Portland/Maine) Plains/Mountains/Southwest (Salt Lake City, Houston, Oklahoma City)
-Hopeful West Coast Finishes-
(Boise, Spokane, San Diego, Sacramento, Reno, Los Angeles)
We might have 13 legs again since All-Stars?

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2010, 10:51:48 AM »
I do believe that Boston will be both the start and final city for TAR 17.  GO CELTICS GO!!!  BEAT L.A.!!! :jumpy:

Topaz:
I have no idea where the finish line will be, but I absolutely agree with your sentiments about the Celtics. Celtics fans now have only 12 hours to wait before finding out who the 2010 NBA Champions will be.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2010, 12:17:22 PM »
The finale city is available in the spoiler thread, if you need/want to know. :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2010, 01:16:07 PM »
The finale city is available in the spoiler thread, if you need/want to know. :lol:

Well tell us here! LOL
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2010, 01:31:44 PM »
Can't...this is the discussion thread...no spoilers! :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2010, 04:52:19 PM »
Phooey!  :lol:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2010, 06:21:51 AM »

Topaz:
I have no idea where the finish line will be, but I absolutely agree with your sentiments about the Celtics. Celtics fans now have only 12 hours to wait before finding out who the 2010 NBA Champions will be.
but sadly, the Celtics lost to Lakers and I cried! :'(

Oh hell, they'll make it again next year but now I read on the specs that the final city of TAR 17 is on LA, and will it be ironic if all the 11 teams, Phil Keoghan and the WRP crew had watched the game after the final race?  It could be. :duno:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2010, 07:24:11 AM »

Topaz:
but sadly, the Celtics lost to Lakers and I cried! :'(

Oh hell, they'll make it again next year but now I read on the specs that the final city of TAR 17 is on LA, and will it be ironic if all the 11 teams, Phil Keoghan and the WRP crew had watched the game after the final race?  It could be. :duno:

It's possible. I guess the belief is that the race finished on June 16 in the LA area. The traditional after-the-finale party would have been in between games 6 and 7, so teams could have watched the NBA finale on June 17. But if you had been away from home for almost a month, wouldn't you want to get there ASAP? I know that I would. Most of the AR17 teams would not be from the greater Los Angeles area and would probably not be Lakers fans or Celtics fans.