Author Topic: TAR17 starting line/finish line cities?  (Read 22533 times)

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
TAR17 starting line/finish line cities?
« on: March 27, 2010, 01:49:43 PM »
Has anyone been noticing since All-Stars, that all the final legs of each season has ended in the Western USA.  San Francisco (All-Stars/16) Alaska (12) Portland (13) Maui (14) Las Vegas (15).  I'm guessing that this next season will end somewhere in the Western US again.  The only other major cities that would be a big guess are Seattle, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, San Diego, Los Angeles, and Denver.  But smaller cities like Boise, Spokane, Sacramento, San Jose, Reno, Albuquerque, Burbank, and Fresno can still be a possibility.
Also, since season 12, Los Angeles is being way overused as a starting line, with the exception for Los Alamitos in Orange County.  BVM and WRP need to find a new place to start since LAX airport since season 12 has spoiled much where they have started from.  San Francisco, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Seattle, and Portland could work.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR17 starting line/finish line cities?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 02:11:04 PM »
For those of you wanting to comment, remember this is the discussion thread... no spoilers please.  :waves:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Mandoli

• hahahaha NO!
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 04:17:38 PM »
I'm almost convinced that LA's going to be a starting line for TAR 17. No, I'm not spoiling. I'm just convinced.

If they really want a race around the world, they should pick a city on each coast and make them the start line and finish line depending on which direction they want to go. If they're doing Asia/Australia/western South America first, they should choose a west coast city as the start. If it's Europe/eastern South America, then they should choose an east coast city.

Finish up on the other side of the US when they circle the globe. Coming in from Europe? East coast city. Coming in from Asia/Australia? West coast city.

Just my two cents.
I thought that when we fought, I was to blame
Now I know you play a different game
I've seen you dance with danger; still wanting more
Add another number to the score

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 05:50:58 PM »
This is a subject that has been the subject of extensive discussion during past seasons (and even in between). The consensus has been that while an Amazing Race could start  or finish anywhere in the U.S., it typically starts in Los Angeles and finishes anywhere. The primary reason I believe this happens is that the World Race Productions offices are in El Segundo, a suburb of LA. Having the start in the greater Los Angeles area allows WRP to not have to transport all of its staff to another city. The tradeoff is that LAX is the easiest first airport for any race to track, so teams starting a new season are frequently spotted there. The list of cities that mjriches2005 has offered above is virtually identical to lists that I have presented on RFF years ago.

It is in the arrival city that more variation can be expected. The Finish Line has been in Alaska for AR12 and Hawaii for AR14. I do not expect it to return to either state anytime soon. The prime West Coast locations (LA, SF, Seattle, Portland, Las Vegas, Phoenix) have been overused as areas for Amazing Race Finish Lines. The only cities other than those to have an Amazing Race finish Line are New York, Dallas/fort Worth, Chicago, Fort Lauderdale, NY state park near Buffalo and Niagra Falls and Denver. I would like to see serious consideration of Boston, Atlanta, New Orleans (but not during its 6 month summer), Houston (same), San Antonio, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, Columbus, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Oklahoma City, Albuquerque, and San Diego.

I expect we will see Boston, Atlanta and San Diego in either starting city or finishing city roles in the next few years.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 11:59:52 PM »
I'm convinced TAR will start from LA (alternatively San Diego) for the rest of its existence. I've gotten used to that, so it isn't too bad. Interestingly, LA has never been the end city... hmmm  :duno:

Right now, TAR is in a phase of ending on the west coast. Makes sense if they traverse the world east...but I hated how they ended on the west coast in TAR 13 and TAR 15. Only LA, SD, Phoenix, and Seattle are viable options left (the latter two because they've only had a half leg there).

I think we'll be seeing more of the east coast simply because there are only so many west coast cities. But I am half-expecting and wishing for midwest cities like St. Louis and Chicago.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 05:17:44 PM »
Right now, TAR is in a phase of ending on the west coast. Makes sense if they traverse the world east...but I hated how they ended on the west coast in TAR 13 and TAR 15. Only LA, SD, Phoenix, and Seattle are viable options left (the latter two because they've only had a half leg there).  

Why are these the only viable cities? There are other major cities in that area. Is it because they have already been visited? All right, but who can say that they won't be visited again?

Also keep in mind that TAR 10 ended in Garrison, NY, so it doesn't have to be a large city, either.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 06:36:19 PM »
Why dont it end in Altanta

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 07:57:15 PM »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 09:01:07 PM »

Why are these the only viable cities? There are other major cities in that area. Is it because they have already been visited? All right, but who can say that they won't be visited again?

Also keep in mind that TAR 10 ended in Garrison, NY, so it doesn't have to be a large city, either.

Ah, but TAR 10 passed through NYC. TAR 8 passed through Toronto and Niagra Falls.

My point is, the race tries to have most of its final leg in some major city nowadays to attract viewers.

"Is it because they have already been visited? All right, but who can say that they won't be visited again?" Then again, I thought the same thing about San Francisco, so you may have a point. There's plenty to do in the South Bay  :lol:

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 10:03:30 PM »
Why dont it end in Altanta

Because they know that Peach's spidey sense would start tingling, and she'd spoil the finish.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 10:05:15 PM »
My nightmare would be to be stuck at work and unable to leave, lol. I'd rather it be in LA than that!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 10:14:40 PM »
I'd leave work if it was me...

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 11:16:34 PM »
i fake my mom death to go to altant a i stay in hotel i could stay at peach house

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 11:30:29 PM »
-- theschnauzers

DavidJunior

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 02:13:50 AM »
There's plenty to do in the South Bay  :lol:

somebody agrees with me!  :hearts:

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 10:18:19 AM »
Oh, Gosh! I don't mind starting line and finish line cities much. Some unseen city would be great for a finish line.

What I prefer are the other countries, and I just hope that Spain could be visited now, it's time for it, as it is visited each 7 seasons (TAR3, TAR10).

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 09:35:32 PM »
Oh, Gosh! I don't mind starting line and finish line cities much. Some unseen city would be great for a finish line.

What I prefer are the other countries, and I just hope that Spain could be visited now, it's time for it, as it is visited each 7 seasons (TAR3, TAR10).

TAR 3 doesn't count. But yes, we need a visit to Madrid or Seville. Better yet, both of them!

Other places to visit: West Africa, South Australia, Indonesia, South Korea, Brussels/Luxembourg, Copenhagen.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 10:51:38 PM »

Well, the thing about it is that most of the other countries in the world are featured in the race. IMO if they only start in LA and end in the western US every season, it's a waste of places in the US that they could feature. There are many amazing world sites within the US that they still could visit. So I feel that they're sort of excluding the US from being "represented" by what they are doing right now. It's true that it is a show for US audiences, but there are plenty of people here that haven't been to many cool places within their own country. And I don't think the Family Edition quite filled the gap.

It would be like starting every season in Spain in the exact same city, but never featuring any other part of Spain ever. It would be really old after 2 seasons. And you would never really see any culture, lifestyle, etc. that could be found there.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 08:59:58 AM »
Yeah, Hooky, but we saw how "amazing" Amazing Race 8 was. If that is all World Race Productions can do to showcase the U.S., then I prefer to see only the starting line, transportation, airline options and flight departures in that city plus all the tasks in the Finish Line city and leave touring the United States to some other show (actually, there is one - The Great American Road Trip). Actually, tasks in the area around the Finish Lines have been rather interesting, with AR2, AR5, AR7, AR13 and AR14 being the best I recall for the last telecast hour of those seasons.

Offline woden

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 11:36:12 AM »
TI would like to see serious consideration of Boston, Atlanta, New Orleans (but not during its 6 month summer), Houston (same), San Antonio, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, Columbus, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Oklahoma City, Albuquerque, and San Diego.

I've always thought Indy would be great for a spring finale to either tie in basketball-related tasks (especially with the NCAA & CBS in cahoots) or auto racing-tasks. A finish at the Motor Speedway seems like the perfect Race metaphor. But no one's asking me.  ;)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 12:05:37 PM »
We had a serious Nascar related spoiler a couple of season's back that never panned out. We really thought they might be finishing in Indy!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
i fake my mom death to go to altant a i stay in hotel i could stay at peach house

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2010, 09:21:14 AM »
I guess it definitely helps with the epicness when the race starts or ends at an instantly-recognizable landmark...

Note that I don't even have to caption the below pictures!

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 12:01:47 PM »
I guess it definitely helps with the epicness when the race starts or ends at an instantly-recognizable landmark...

Note that I don't even have to caption the below pictures!

I say start next season at Delicate Arch! And have the racers hike their way out and drive a few hours to the nearest major airport. That would be an interesting challenge. :lol:

Of course, that would be too long for a one-hour premiere. :(

Offline TheZanies

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2010, 01:39:47 PM »
Personally, I don't give a rat's you-know-what about the starting cities, it's not like they have even slightest impact on the Race.

As far as finishing cities, I'm not all that bothered either, I only wish it's not a city where one particular team has a huge leg up on the others (season 1 could have turned out that way, with Frank & Margarita growing up in NYC, but thankfully it had zero impact on the outcome).