Author Topic: TAR16 - EP 9: "Dumb did us in" (Singapore)  (Read 111836 times)

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
Re: TAR16 - EP 9: "Dumb did us in" (Singapore)
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2010, 12:41:09 AM »
Steve and Allie just confirmed that they raced as decoys for the rest of the race.

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2010, 12:46:07 AM »
i doubt so

remember from the earlier post that Carol and Brandy were spotted at the Singapore Flyer, i am thinking that as a roadblock
The Singapore Flyer might be the Fast Forward.  Or were other teams spotted there as well?
Singaporean here - PM me, if you need me to translate, Chinese, Malay, English, German or Japanese

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2010, 12:59:21 AM »
So now we know that Steve and Allie are decoying the rest of the race, we now know the next two eliminated teams will be as well and those three teams never made it to elimination station in Mexico!

Offline Kevin_Zhu

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2010, 01:02:49 AM »
Speculation:

If there's a U=Turn involved as to Carol-Brandy and Brent-Caite, it may be that the Cowboys were already ahead.  I have the impression that Singapore may be like Penang for the "Boys in the hats.

Agreed!!
U-turn the Cowboys is the smartest choice, but Jet & Cord won't give you that opportunity..
TAR16 FAVS Jet & Cord, Steve & Allie, Dan & Jordan

Offline jerseydude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • It’s Friday, Friday Gotta get down on Friday
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2010, 01:04:56 AM »
I think its a detour or RI or why is both Jordan and Dan strapped in (with Helmets)?

i doubt so

remember from the earlier post that Carol and Brandy were spotted at the Singapore Flyer, i am thinking that as a roadblock
The Singapore Flyer might be the Fast Forward.  Or were other teams spotted there as well?
The Amazing Race TV Stars- Marc and Rovilson (Currently 1st)
Victor\'s Amazing Race- Mooyou and Jerseydude (Currently 5th)
RFF Amazing Race Season 2- Redskevin88 & Jerseydude (Eliminated 4th)
Mooyou\'s Amazing Race- Tammy and Victor (Finished 2nd Place )

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2010, 01:20:17 AM »
we have to see the new promo to confirms this

but i think that from the bottom, they were strapped, then take the flyer to the top, then read the clue, i know it sounds messy
I think its a detour or RI or why is both Jordan and Dan strapped in (with Helmets)?

i doubt so

Singaporean here - PM me, if you need me to translate, Chinese, Malay, English, German or Japanese

Offline jamestay

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2010, 02:13:21 AM »
Steve and Allie just confirmed that they raced as decoys for the rest of the race.

Any source?
I want their interviews.

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2010, 02:24:01 AM »
it's in their facebook page

Any source?
I want their interviews.

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2010, 07:01:38 AM »

There's the patented "Fast Forward" speculation that I was waiting for!

It really looks like something that could be a FF, or would be a FF in earlier races.  Unfortunately, it'll probably end up being something else (stupid Speed Bumps! No SB in this leg, obviously, but just the fact that the SB have more or less wiped out the FFs or decent FFs)

As Evan mentioned, we'll probably have to wait for another promo to confirm.  It could be a roadblock.  However, I personally would put this as a FF before a RB.  IMO it's completely unnecessary to have both people get prepared for a task, and then choose who'll do the RB before reading the clue.  Where's the excitement in that?  Plus, if there's going to be a Fast Forward, now would be the time to have it.  Don't think this TAR will have the rare appearance of a FF with 4 teams left (and in the same leg as the final Philimination).

Other than that, in the event that it's neither (a RB or a FF), I think it's a Detour as well.  Or just a task that everyone has to do.  Wonder what the other choice is if it is a detour, but A detour would make sense with a U-Turn that would force someone to have to do both of these difficult tasks (which would lead to their demise since no team has ever survived from a U-Turn since its debut).
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2010, 09:28:21 AM »
From puddin's summary on post #2:

*And a tweet to go along with it:
BethRuh: Sighted: People walking outside on TOP of the Singapore Flyer. Helicopter filming...I"ll give you one guess....

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2010, 09:40:20 AM »
Flights from Penang to Singapore

OK, Peach. I made the assumption that only the nonstop flights from Penang to Singapore need to be considered. Your point mandates that connecting flights through Kuala Lumpur also be considered. There are 4 basic flight combinations leaving Penang from 0640 to 0725 and arriving Singapore between 0930 and 1025:

MH1133 0640 0735 connecting to 3K684 0850 actual 0952 or MH9131 0855 actual 0945

GF6227/MH1137 0710 0805 connecting to 3K684 0850 0952 or MH9131 0855 0945

MH9881 0715 0815 connecting to either of the flights on the prior line

CX720 0725 0825 connecting to MI7415/MH611 0925 actual 1015
KUL Kuala Lumpur MH 1155   Malaysia Airline 17:35
SIN Singapore MI 355 Silkair 18:05
LGK Langkawi FY 1016   Firefly 18:10
KCH Kuching AK 6506   Airasia 18:25
SZB Kuala Lumpur FY 2093   Firefly 18:50
KUL Kuala Lumpur MH 1161   Malaysia Airline 19:35
MES Medan QZ 8075   Indonesia AirAsia 19:55
SZB Kuala Lumpur FY 2095   Firefly 20:00
BKK Bangkok LD 832   AHK 20:05
SIN Singapore TR 427   Tiger Airways 20:15
KUL Kuala Lumpur MH 1165   Malaysia Airline 20:35
KUL Kuala Lumpur AK 5375   Airasia 21:00
SIN Singapore MI 357   Silkair 21:15
KUL Kuala Lumpur MH 1167   Malaysia Airline 21:45
KUL Kuala Lumpur AK 5369   Airasia 22:25
SZB Kuala Lumpur FY 2097   Firefly 22:50

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carol & Brandy selling ice-cream @ about 11am

well, according to her, there were 2 females, should be wearing grey though she wasn't really sure now. They were selling ice cream and it was about 11+ am. =)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teams spotted near Rasa Sentosa carpark @ about 1pm

I did not realise that they were filming the amazing race until the 2nd sighting, therfore no pictures were taken.

I was at the singapore flyer at about 11am, 16 dec 2009, when i saw the 1st group, male/female team(young couple, long hair girl dressed in blue).
As the flyer was closed for shooting until 12.30pm, my family and i proceeded to sentosa's underwater world, where we spotted the 2nd group, male/male group (middle aged man, dressed in blue too.) wondering around Rasa Sentosa Hotel car park at abt 1pm, same day.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:02:13 AM by Evan_Weinstein »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2010, 11:13:20 AM »
It would be great to see how dumbness can cause a team's elimination..... IN SINGAPORE!!!

I don't think there's anything magical about Singapore there. Think of all the past Amazing Race seasons and the dumb things that got people eliminated. How many of them were in Singapore? The answer is zero, since the elimination of John Vito and Jill on Mt. Faber does not count because it was poor navigation and not dumbness. However, Joab, fear not because I can think of two dumb things in Singapore in ARA1 and ARA2:

1. Allowing Rovilson to do the final flag ROADBLOCK when Marc could have done it much quicker (ARA2- finale). This got them a last-place-in the final-3 episode finish, 3rd overall in ARA2 (thanks methylc for the correction).
2. The Amazing Race - Universe blunder of blunders by Michael McKay in having the car-washing task as the only reason for a visit to Singapore (ARA1- ep.7). This did not get him eliminated, but only because he's the producer of Amazing Race Asia and cannot be eliminated.

Obviously apskip, there's everything magical about Singapore. You won't know until you're living here for the past 20 years of your life. It's just like i won't know how magical your parents are unless i know what they've done for you if i were your sibling. Like duh.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2010, 11:16:39 AM »
Calling bluff! This looks like Penang to me. :lol:

[Singlish] Singapore where got hill? [/Singlish]

LOL!! TRUE. THAT'S PENANG FOR SURE.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2010, 11:18:55 AM »
When the preview was going to end. Carol and Brandy were in a cab and i'm pretty sure  they were in an area with HDB flats.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2010, 11:20:14 AM »
EP 9: ELIM
EP 10: NEL
EP 11: ELIM
EP 12: FINALE

So Singapore eliminates another team... after John Vito and Jill.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2010, 11:26:35 AM »
Anyway, pretty sure Carol and Brandy are U-TURNed.. if they're this pissed off.

Unless they're just insulting them just because they stole their cab, which is such a meagre matter.

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2010, 12:02:20 PM »
I'm still hoping for a Fast Forward.  Would they have a FF and a U-Turn in the same leg?

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2010, 12:28:33 PM »
Plz Delete! TY
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:32:03 PM by DianeC »

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2010, 01:31:58 PM »
U-Turn and a "Venomous Reaction" - two of my favourite things!
A SEASON-LONG FEUD CULMINATES WITH A U-TURN AND A VENOMOUS REACTION IN SINGAPORE, ON "THE AMAZING RACE," SUNDAY, APRIL 11 ON THE CBS TELEVISION NETWORK

"Dumb Did Us In" (Singapore) - Tempers and tensions flare when Racers place a target on one Team's back, and feuds come to a head when a U-turn comes into play, on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, April 11 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is host.
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2010, 01:44:13 PM »
Well, that takes care of that!  As for a FF and a U-Turn on the same leg?  Hasn't happened.  There also has yet to be a Speed Bump and a FF on the same leg.  It would be pretty interesting to see how that would play out if it came up.  FTR, during the Yield era, there has only been one leg in the entire series that featured both a Yield and a FF.  Of course, it was a NEL (and IIRC, a FF that none of these teams would claim without a second thought.  Except for maybe Jet/Cord and Michael/Louie).

However, they tend not to put a FF on those legs since it would either make the SB irrelevant or that someone is U-Turning someone for nothing.  Though if there was a FF, I think it would come up early enough that teams would have an idea who took it (as well as the unlucky team that went to the site, hoping for the eventual people to bail, only for said team to complete it).

As for Brent & Caite, I think they may have stolen their cab AND U-Turned Carol/Brandy.  Something that has B/C sneaking past C/B would definitely set them off.
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2010, 04:39:01 PM »
We've got a lot of locations, now our task is to match them to tasks...

Singapore Flyer
Assuming that the Brent/Caite shot is of them heading into the city from the airport, the teams arrive by plane in daylight. The first direct flight from Penang arrives at 10.45am, while a connection through Kuala Lumpur can get teams into Singapore an hour earlier, by 9.45am. Leasing the Singapore Flyer is a costly deal, and we know that the wheel was closed to the public only until 12.30pm, with little room for extension. With such a limited range of time, expect the climb at the Flyer to be one of the first tasks.
The same issue of limited time means the Flyer is unlikely to be part of a Detour, lest a team that is U-Turned drag the use of the Flyer into later in the afternoon. Multiple teams are seen there, suggesting this is not a Fast Forward. The likely possibilities: mandatory route marker task, or Roadblock.

Istana Park
The scenes of Carol/Brandy fuming are shot here, suggesting that this is at the end of a Detour, where the U-Turn is posted. I can think of very little options for task in the park, though, which means we would have to find the actual Detour options elsewhere.

Bugis
As far as we know at this moment, the ice cream task is geographically closest to Istana Park (1.4km/0.9mi). This lends credence to the theory that Bugis is one side of the Detour.

Sentosa
Sentosa would indicate very poor planning if it were the other side of the Detour, especially with a U-Turn in effect. U-Turns have always had Detour options within close range of each other, the furthest being the La Paz band/bicycle Detour. There are sightings of them on Imbiah (Subway, Mega-Zip) and on the west end (Rasa Sentosa Hotel parking lot), but the furthest we can conclude thus far is Sentosa is unlikely to host the Detour.

Marina Barrage
Closed later in the day, scenic views, no tasks that can really be done there... You can probably guess what this one is for.

I think we are still missing one location for the opposite side of the Detour... Unless the Flyer is indeed the other side?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 04:43:08 PM by Neobie »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2010, 05:01:13 PM »
Here are some statistics for the world's biggest Giant Observation Wheels (ferris wheels is a term not really applicable any more): London Eye, the Great Dubai Wheel(to open 2010), the Singapore Flyer, the Beijing Great Observation Wheel(opened 2009), the Giant Orlando Wheel(opening 2010), the Giant Berlin wheel (opened 2009 and Star of Nanchang (opened 2006) are the biggest. Here are summary comparisons:

By Height:
1) Great Beijing Wheel - 208 metres (682 feet)
2) Great Berlin Wheel - 185 metres (606ft)
3) The Singapore Flyer - 165m (541ft)
4) Star of Nanchang - 160m (525ft)
5) London Eye - 135m (443ft)
6) Great Orlando Wheel - 122m (400ft)

By Capacity:
1) Great Beijing Wheel - 1,920 passengers
2) Great Berlin Wheel - 1,500 passengers
3) Great Orlando Wheel - 960 passengers
4) London Eye - 800 passengers
5) The Singapore Flyer - 784 passengers
6) Star of Nanchang - 480 passengers

London Eye
The height of the London Eye is 135m
There are 32 10-tonne capsules
You can see around 40KM (25 miles) from the top as far as Windsor Castle on a clear day
The London Eye welcomes an average of 3.5 million customers every year
The circumference of the wheel is 424m (1.392ft)
The spindle weighs 330 metric tonnes (716,000 pounds), the wheel and capsules total 2100 tonnes (4.41 million pounds weight)

The Great Dubai Wheel will be one of the major attractions at Dubailand. The 185m wheel will be taller than the London Eye. Visitors will be able to view distances up to 50 km from the comfort of one of 30 capsules.

Singapore Flyer
Capsule size: Each capsule is 4 metres x 7 metres – about the size of a city bus. There are 28 capsules. Each capsule can carry up to 28 passengers.
Speed it travels: 0.24m per second, or 0.76km/h.
Total capacity per revolution: 784 passengers.  
Rotation: Each rotation is about 32 minutes.
View Radius: 45 kilometres.
For reference purposes, in Amazing Race Asia 1 ep. 11, teams had a task at the Etisalat - Eye of the Emirates (Shrajah, United Arab Emirates) has  450,000 annual riders in its 42 cabins. It is 60m high.

The Great Observation Wheel, Beijing Chaoyang Park wheel(628 ft)will surpass both the London Eye (443 ft) and Dubai's Great Wheel(607 ft).

Great Orlando Wheel will open in 2010. Its height is 400 feet (122 meters) above the earth. A 25-mile (40 km) viewing range is possible. There will be 24 of these fully enclosed, rotating air-conditioned, glass capsules affixed to the Wheel’s outer rim.
Measuring approximately 38 x 16 feet; each capsule will carry up to 40 passengers, for a total of 960. It moves so slowly (nine inches per second) that guests will enter and exit without the wheel having to stop during the 30 minute ride.

Great Berlin Wheel
175 Meters high (some sources say 185 m), 28 km view, 40 passengers/capsule, 30 minute ride, Capable of carrying 1,920 passengers in 48 capsules
the part in German - Kapselabmessung    4,70 Meter x 11,60 Meter (dimensions of capsule)
Geschwindigkeit    0.25 Meter pro Sekunde (rotation speed)
Umdrehungsdauer    30 Minuten (ride length in time)
Gewicht einer Kapsel    18 Tonnen (weight of each capsule)
160 metres (525 feet), carries up to 480 people in sixty enclosed climate-controlled gondolas for eight passengers.
Gewicht des Rades    ca. 6.500 Tonnen (weight of entire structure 14.3 million pounds)

Star of Nanchang
160 metres (525 feet), carries up to 480 people in sixty enclosed climate-controlled gondolas for eight passengers.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2010, 05:07:57 PM »
Quoting from the all-reliable Wikipedia here :snicker:, but the opening of the Beijing Great Wheel has been delayed to later this year and construction of the Great Berlin Wheel has been stalled due to financial difficulties...

Which means the Singapore Flyer remains, for now, the largest observation wheel (in height) in the world.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2010, 06:23:59 PM »
  meh!  who cares about some silly carnival ferris wheel or some such thing....  :lol:   Now, when is the Sands Casino going to be finished ???   seems like they have been building that thing for donkey years...   :snicker:  Now that's entertainment.   :keeta:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2010, 07:06:03 PM »
U-Turn and a "Venomous Reaction" - two of my favourite things!
A SEASON-LONG FEUD CULMINATES WITH A U-TURN AND A VENOMOUS REACTION IN SINGAPORE, ON "THE AMAZING RACE," SUNDAY, APRIL 11 ON THE CBS TELEVISION NETWORK

"Dumb Did Us In" (Singapore) - Tempers and tensions flare when Racers place a target on one Team's back, and feuds come to a head when a U-turn comes into play, on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, April 11 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is host.

Sounds like Louie & Michael using another team to U-turn Carol & Brandy. Or it could just be the general dislike that Brent & Caite have for them.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis