Author Topic: TAR16 - EP 8: You're Like Jason Bourne, Right? (Malaysia)  (Read 115762 times)

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR16 - EP 8: You're Like Jason Bourne, Right? (Malaysia)
« Reply #275 on: April 03, 2010, 09:31:27 PM »
Thanks, Peach. The promo view of Kek Lok Si roughly matches this Panoramio shot from Jalan Air Hatam. I don't know...when the cabdriver told them 4-5 minutes walk he may underestimated a bit. (haven't found the coffee shop yet)

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #276 on: April 03, 2010, 09:54:35 PM »
hey, you are correct, Kek Lok Si Temple indeed is in Jalan Air Hatam, what coffee shop?
Thanks, Peach. The promo view of Kek Lok Si roughly matches this Panoramio shot from Jalan Air Hatam. I don't know...when the cabdriver told them 4-5 minutes walk he may underestimated a bit. (haven't found the coffee shop yet)
Singaporean here - PM me, if you need me to translate, Chinese, Malay, English, German or Japanese

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #277 on: April 03, 2010, 09:57:58 PM »
This one; I don't know if "ju huat" is a district or somebody's name.

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #278 on: April 03, 2010, 09:59:49 PM »
huat, is lucky in chinese, ju, could be joo in normal term, but they short-formed to ju
edited, kedai is a place in malaysia

This one; I don't know if "ju huat" is a district or somebody's name.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:03:55 PM by Evan_Weinstein »
Singaporean here - PM me, if you need me to translate, Chinese, Malay, English, German or Japanese

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #279 on: April 03, 2010, 11:06:40 PM »
Ju Huat (裕发/裕發) is just the name of the establishment, translates into 'abundance and prosperity.' I've searched through the Yellow Pages in both English and Chinese, no luck so far. Found a blog mention (in Chinese) noting that our coffee shop in question is walking distance from the KFC in Sunshine Jelutong...

Slowhatch's got the meaning of kedai kopi; for the rest of us: kedai means shop, kopi means coffee, which makes... coffee shop. *duh*
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 11:19:53 PM by Neobie »

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #280 on: April 04, 2010, 10:34:15 AM »
 :lol:  try a different spelling of "Jalan Air Hitam", Slowhatch.  You get more pix if you google "Jalan Air Itam" or "Jalan Ayer Itam".  IMO the previews may be in a Indian part of town, more subdued shop signs than Chinatown shops.   :duno:   ;)

FWIW, an interesting link
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:46:35 AM by Boingo »

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #281 on: April 04, 2010, 11:16:50 AM »
PIP video:

Original Video - More videos at [banned image hosting site]

What is a PIP video and it doesn't work for me..Is it just a screenshot, cuz it's all black and no where to push to start!

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #282 on: April 04, 2010, 11:23:37 AM »
try using this 2 methods:

1) use firefox to watch, if still cannot

2) upgrading your adobe flash player and reboot your com after installing
PIP video:

What is a PIP video and it doesn't work for me..Is it just a screenshot, cuz it's all black and no where to push to start!

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #283 on: April 04, 2010, 11:37:39 AM »
 :lol: so they really did go to the wrong temple (Kek Lok Si) because the incense is at the Chang Qing Pavillion.  :groan:  :lol3:

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:38:49 PM by Boingo »

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #284 on: April 04, 2010, 12:35:33 PM »
try using this 2 methods:

1) use firefox to watch, if still cannot

2) upgrading your adobe flash player and reboot your com after installing
PIP video:

Thx Evan for trying...Nothing video works for me except UTube...I have done all you say, but since my Windows downloaded SP3 and i had to get it removed, I can't see any other videos, but UTube! PIMB

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #285 on: April 04, 2010, 03:16:13 PM »
Sorry to be of no help here.  I've working on this for a while now but I have to clock out.  Not enough time to get the resolution needed to sort out the teams.

I will add that this detour location (incense):

is called the Ti Kong Temple at least by one tourist.  Note the matching swastika fretwork.  But the tourist did not place the shot correctly in GE.

Boingo's picture of the entrance to "Chang Qing Pavillion"  is a perfect match.  Two names, same place?  :duno:  But Boingo's GE spot for the shot does not match as best as I can tell. (gone now)  And I can't find it either  :groan:

All I can find is where it looks like it is but the satelite image is so old that it is just a grassy spot when it was taken.

That's the thing I need for getting time though.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #286 on: April 04, 2010, 03:25:22 PM »
It's all the same place! :lol: We're running in circles around something we found all the way back on Page 6!

Chang Qing Pavillion (長慶殿, Changqing Dian, Palace of Eternal Celebration) is a building within the temple compound called Thnee Kong Thua (天公壇, Tiangong Tan, Altar of the Jade Emperor). Ti Kong is just another transliteration of Thnee Kong...

The temple was recently renovated and the steps are newly added, so we can't find it on GE. The temple buildings themselves are at the bottom of Chateau's map image, where the "Penang Hill" label is. Since the steps are exactly perpendicular to the temple gates running down to the street, we can easily plot it out on the imagery we have...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 03:39:57 PM by Neobie »

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #287 on: April 04, 2010, 03:54:52 PM »

Testing out my rudimentary mathematical skills... The stairs of the temple (refer to map in above post) are angled at 23° clockwise from a East-West orientation, while the shadows in the Carol/Brandy shot are angled approximately 21° from the stairway. The sun is therefore shining at 90°+23°+21°=134° clockwise of North. Putting this angle into our racing date of 14 Dec gives us an approximate time of 11.07am.

The following analysis assumes that the rack of incense is placed parallel to the stone wall of the temple. The angle between the shadow and the rack falls at around 48°. The complementary angle of 48° is 42° (as the wall is perpendicular to the stairs). This leads us to the sun shining at an angle of 90°+23°+42°=155° clockwise of North. The resultant time of 12.18pm may not be precise, but I can postulate that Carol/Brandy are ahead of Daniel/Jordan.

Note that Malaysia has a single time zone and that Penang is almost as far west as you can go on Peninsula Malaysia, meaning that the sun doesn't shine from straight south until about 1.14pm.

Waits for the episode to prove the utter incompetence of my basic geometry... :lol:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 04:13:15 PM by Neobie »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #288 on: April 04, 2010, 04:16:17 PM »
Thank you Chateau and Neobie!! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #289 on: April 04, 2010, 04:21:39 PM »
Hmmmm.  I've been curious why Phil asked a few teams who they would like to see out of the race.  And the answer was Carol & Brandy.  What was that foreshadowing? Carol & Brandy in first place or last?

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #290 on: April 04, 2010, 05:09:20 PM »
Maybe Steve and Allie are eliminated this episode and Carol and Brandy, 5th
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #291 on: April 04, 2010, 07:00:51 PM »
I think that the shots of the coconut smash may tell us quite a lot...

Who has the most? Who does not??  :tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #292 on: April 04, 2010, 09:25:26 PM »
Leaderboard as of eighth episode:

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #293 on: April 05, 2010, 01:28:54 AM »
I was curious as to just how hot and humid it was in Penang while the racers were doing the incense carry at the temple since a couple of them mentioned how hot it was. I looked up the weather for Penang on December 12th - 14th and it was pretty much the same each day.

Dec. 12th: High 90 Low 77   1 PM:  Temp 90  Dew Point 73  Humidity 59%  Wind SE 3.5 mph

Dec. 13th: High 91 Low 77   1 PM:  Temp 90  Dew Point 72  Humidity 55%  Wind E 8.1 mph 

Dec. 14th: High 91 Low 78   1 PM:  Temp 91  Dew Point 73  Humidity  55%  Wind NE 9.2 mph

I don't know if we ever nailed down the date exactly, but the Singapore episode thread mentions Dec. 16th as the date there, so Dec. 14th sounds likeliest for Penang. The wind matches up with what Jet and Cord had for the flag balancing task. In any case, the weather would have been hot and humid but not unbearably so. I'd say the comments were due to the fact that most of the racers weren't used to the combination of heat and humidity. Brent and Caite are from South Carolina, so they probably were (and I don't remember them complaining). Jet and Cord probably see a days like that in Oklahoma, but they didn't do the lifting and stair climbing. They don't seem like the types to complain much about it anyway.   

Plaidmoon

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #294 on: April 05, 2010, 02:23:01 AM »
the normal singapore and malaysia weather is about 25 degrees low and 32 degrees high, it could reach up to 35 at some point
I was curious as to just how hot and humid it was in Penang while the racers were doing the incense carry at the temple since a couple of them mentioned how hot it was. I looked up the weather for Penang on December 12th - 14th and it was pretty much the same each day.

Dec. 12th: High 90 Low 77   1 PM:  Temp 90  Dew Point 73  Humidity 59%  Wind SE 3.5 mph

Dec. 13th: High 91 Low 77   1 PM:  Temp 90  Dew Point 72  Humidity 55%  Wind E 8.1 mph 

Dec. 14th: High 91 Low 78   1 PM:  Temp 91  Dew Point 73  Humidity  55%  Wind NE 9.2 mph

I don't know if we ever nailed down the date exactly, but the Singapore episode thread mentions Dec. 16th as the date there, so Dec. 14th sounds likeliest for Penang. The wind matches up with what Jet and Cord had for the flag balancing task. In any case, the weather would have been hot and humid but not unbearably so. I'd say the comments were due to the fact that most of the racers weren't used to the combination of heat and humidity. Brent and Caite are from South Carolina, so they probably were (and I don't remember them complaining). Jet and Cord probably see a days like that in Oklahoma, but they didn't do the lifting and stair climbing. They don't seem like the types to complain much about it anyway.   

Plaidmoon

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #295 on: April 05, 2010, 04:11:04 AM »
the normal singapore and malaysia weather is about 25 degrees low and 32 degrees high, it could reach up to 35 at some point

Dec. 12th: High 90 Low 77   1 PM:  Temp 90  Dew Point 73  Humidity 59%  Wind SE 3.5 mph

Dec. 13th: High 91 Low 77   1 PM:  Temp 90  Dew Point 72  Humidity 55%  Wind E 8.1 mph  

Dec. 14th: High 91 Low 78   1 PM:  Temp 91  Dew Point 73  Humidity  55%  Wind NE 9.2 mph

Plaidmoon

25C = 77F and 32C = 89.6F so the racers were seeing typical temperatures, maybe very slightly warm for that area.  35C = 95F so it could have been a few degrees Fahrenheit warmer for us Celsius challenged Americans.   :ascared

Plaidmoon

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #296 on: April 05, 2010, 04:55:31 AM »
so far in singapore or malaysia, the lowest temp is 23, but not seen in the month of dec, and highest can go up to 35, normally it will be either 32 or 33

FYI: this temp is not observed at Cameron Highlands and Genting

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #297 on: April 05, 2010, 06:45:06 AM »
Leaderboard as of eighth episode:

Wow.  The leader board turn itself upside down from the last leg.

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• RFF's Goodwill Ambassador
  • I Live at RFF
  • No more wire hangers EVER!
« Reply #298 on: April 06, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
:rodeo way to go cowboys!!! :tup:

it took me a while to find a favorite after of course jeff and jordan but these guys are so darn chipper and positive about it all they deserve to win!!  :hearts:
zero, zilch, nada, nothing!

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #299 on: April 07, 2010, 07:19:29 AM »
This is one interesting leg isn't it. Compare the placements with the previous leg, every team had a symmetrical switch! The first became last and vice versa, second became fifth and vice versa, third became fourth and vice versa. Just a random observation on my part lol.

Jet and Cord were amazing. They started off rough, not able to get a cab and all. But did they make up a whole lot of time at the Detour! What was the most amazing was that even after completing the Speed Bump and Roadblock, no team was there yet. This must be the first in TAR history. Amazing!

I'm sad that Steve and Allie are gone. With that, I'm rooting for Jet and Cord and Dan and Jordan now.
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`