Author Topic: TAR16 - EP 8: You're Like Jason Bourne, Right? (Malaysia)  (Read 116222 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR16 - EP 8: You're Like Jason Bourne, Right? (Malaysia)
« Reply #250 on: April 02, 2010, 07:50:56 AM »
Okay, need some help from the team! I'm at work and can't do it...

I want to coerce Chateau into doing some shadow times for us...we have lots of yummy shadows this week!

But I need the exact location of each of our task locations, with a few other tourist type pics of each place, plotted out on a map so we can see exactly which way is North/South, and where teams are standing

These places if possible:

from the first preview:

the field where the flag task is
the steps Jet and Cord are running down

From the second promo:

The place at the Incense task temple that Brandy and Cord are running past the Incense sticks, and also where they are carrying the sticks

The beach coconut task, the place in front of the Mutiara hotel where they are smashing...

Each of these locations has been identified, but if we can get each spot pinned down more exactly, I'll see if he can help us out with shadows.... but we need to get everything we can to help him, he is swamped right now!

Thanks guys...see what you can find by this evening , okay??  :hearts:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #251 on: April 02, 2010, 08:27:16 AM »
Can't find good satellite imagery for the temple, but here's those from the first preview. North is always up.

The median line in the second map looks wrong, but I arrived at it using an extrapolation along the same road. Would definitely help if someone could double-check!

The sun is shining from the southeast in both photos, so both were shot before noon, I suppose?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 08:46:03 AM by Neobie »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #252 on: April 02, 2010, 11:30:03 AM »
Besides, it's ironic because some teams that do try to do the FF end up getting put in last place (Terrence/Sarah)

That's why recently only one team goes for it (Season 15) or none of the teams wish to risk it (Season 14).
The only Fast Forward offered in AR15 was in  Dubai going from the desert to the race track. Cheyne/Meghan had a reasonable lead leaving the desert, so all the other teams knew they could not beat them to the Fast Forward site.

Being anything but first at the Fast Forward site is usually the kiss of death (I can think off the top of my head that Rob/Amber beat it after the Orlando Cooling Station in the Johannesburg area in AR7 and Jon/Kelly did so after going for the Sepilok, Malaysia orangutan place in AR4, ep. 9.) Due to this risk in AR10 ep. 6, Dustin and Kandice were not willing to risk it in Kuwait when David/Mary get a clear lead on them.

To address the statement by Danooky, in AR14- ep. 7 I vaguely remember that the only FF was teams at the Phuket Zoo had the opportunity to buy presents for local charities from their own funds to participate in the Fast Forward, so none chose to do that.

AR13 ep. 8 in Almaty was that Terrence and Sarah started slightly behind Nick/Starr, but since Terrence had eaten no meat in many years he was either unable or very slow to produce any eating results. In ep. 4 Dan/Andrew chased after Ken/Tina on the Fast forward at the Auckland Sky Tower, but backed off at the last minute when they discovered they were behind.

In AR12 ep. 7 the Fast Forward getting a tattoo each at Fabio's Studio in Empoli Italy for Donald and Nicolas was the result of them leaving the aerodrome well ahead of all other teams and discouraging any from attempting it.

In AR3 ep. 6  in Marrakesh Flo/Zach dropped out when they arrived at the carpet merchant and discovered Ian/Terri and John Vito/Jill there ahead of them. Flo played a game of chance against Jill which Jill won to settle the question of who would compete and who would go on to regular tasks. However, since Aaron and Ariane were way behind, neither John Vito and Jill or Flo/Zach suffered serious consequences from going for it at least up to a point.

In AR2 ep. 2 Gary/Dave and Shola/Doyin were already inline to play volleyball when Peggy/Claire arrived and correctly discerned that they had no chance. They quickly dropped out rerouted to the regular tasks. In ep. 7 Mary/Peach attempted to reach first place with success at the Fast Forward, but they arrived after Gary/Dave had already won it. Thanks to slayton for this information in a post below.

So the thesis was that teams trying to capture the Fast Forward frequently lose as a result. In some cases, such as AR3, ep. 3 with Dennis and Andrew, it made no difference whether they went for the Fast Forward or not, as they were going to finish last in Scotland belief had was that teams no longer compete vigorously for the Fast Forward. In season 1 to 4, when there were many Fast Forwards offered each season, teams had more of a tendency to go for it. Teams recently have been more risk averse.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:01:06 PM by apskip »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #253 on: April 02, 2010, 12:48:04 PM »
Thanks Neobie!! Huge help!!

Can anyone else help with the beach/coconuts, the Incense temple, and the steps??
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #254 on: April 02, 2010, 01:30:58 PM »
Here's the Mutiara beach, with North being straight up.  You can see the angle of the beach.  I'm not certain exactly where the coconut smashing is going on, but from the pictures of Louie, you can see that the area where they are breaking the coconuts appears to be set square to the beach.  Meaning that the front edge of that area seems to be parallel to the beach.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #255 on: April 02, 2010, 04:59:06 PM »

I'd call it somewhere from about 11 am to noon. That's a smaller shadow compared to that of Jet & Cord at the flags.

Also just for reference/comparison:

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #256 on: April 02, 2010, 05:10:04 PM »
I'm also trying to find that little building behind Louie, but I'm not finding one that looks like a match. I don't have a great degree of confidence in this location.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #257 on: April 02, 2010, 05:59:36 PM »
Hooky, if you look at the map in my post, you can see several clusters of trees along the shoreline.  In Jet's picture, you can see grass on the south side of the smashing area.  I'm wondering if this area might be directly north of the reddish building that is west of the Mutiara Resort buildings.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 06:02:43 PM by chill_sd »

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #258 on: April 02, 2010, 06:05:49 PM »
Hooky, if you look at the map in my post, you can see several clusters of trees along the shoreline.  In Jet's picture, you can see grass on the south side of the smashing area.  I'm wondering if this area might be directly north of the reddish building that is west of the Mutiara Resort buildings.

Ooh, I think you're on to it! That looks a lot more likely IMO.

EDIT: I don't see evidence of that swimming pool, though. Maybe the wall was put up just for this task? ???
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 06:10:04 PM by Hooky »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #259 on: April 02, 2010, 06:37:21 PM »
I'm thinking the task is in the circled area; the long buildings are the temple and the arrow points to the shed and tree seen behind Louie.

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #260 on: April 02, 2010, 07:15:44 PM »
AR14- ep. 7 I vaguely remember that teams at the Phuket Zoo had the opportunity to buy presents for local chairites from their own funds to participate in the Fast Forward, so none chose to do that.

Luke can probably confirm this, but I believe Mel & Mike said that the Fast Forward required teams to spend all of their money. 

(I wouldn't expect any team to take such a huge gamble unless they were way behind.)

In TAR2, Mary & Peach went for the Face reading & Palm reading Fast Forward in Hong Kong, but Gary & Dave had already taken it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #261 on: April 02, 2010, 09:07:13 PM »
Tweet video!! screencaps coming!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #262 on: April 02, 2010, 09:24:55 PM »
tweet Vid:

Could you balance a 35 foot flag on ur head while running through Malaysia? Only on AmazingRace SUN at 8 PM !!

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #263 on: April 02, 2010, 10:33:33 PM »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #264 on: April 02, 2010, 10:33:50 PM »
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:48:57 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #265 on: April 02, 2010, 10:37:32 PM »
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:54:23 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Kevin_Zhu

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #266 on: April 03, 2010, 12:51:02 AM »
So how about this:

Land at the airport
Go to somewhere and get the clue for the detour
Go to detour (Dan & Jordan, Louie & Mike, Steve and Allie get a traffic jam while cowboys get to the  flags and complete very fast, no idea where Carol & Brandy and Brent & Caite are)
After detour, go for RB while cowboys should do the speedbump first
After RB, go to pit stop...

Just guess.

TAR16 FAVS Jet & Cord, Steve & Allie, Dan & Jordan

Offline everbloom

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #267 on: April 03, 2010, 09:09:23 AM »
Oh my gosh! Judging from the screencaps I think we can predict:

1. Some teams will get screwed by traffic and taxis. (I actually missed the Race traffic jams)

2. Those will give the cowboys a chance to make up ground.

Also, it seems Cord is having a rather easy time w/ the flags. It looks like it's Jet who's kinda struggling w/ the task. Just my observation.
TAR 17:
Brook/Claire, Nat/Kat, Jill/Thomas

TARA 4
Richard/Richard, Claire/Michelle, Dimple/Sunaina

OMG!! I finally found the cowboys' Facebook fan page!![/url]

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #268 on: April 03, 2010, 09:28:14 AM »
 :lol3:  Got it!  Intersection of Jalan Anson & Jalan Macalister

Ghee Hiang
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 09:44:10 AM by Boingo »

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #269 on: April 03, 2010, 12:13:44 PM »
 :lol: no surprise, cowboys at Peranakan Mansion pitstop  ;)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #270 on: April 03, 2010, 03:17:30 PM »
Nice job Boingo!! I was wondering what that was!

But are they showing us the Intersection...or the Sesame oil place?? Traffic jam maybe?? Or do we have something at Ghee Hiang?? ???

And nice match on the confessional!! :yess:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #271 on: April 03, 2010, 04:14:39 PM »
Peach, I think you might be reading too much into things! :lol:

Not sure if it is slightly disrespectful to have confessionals in front of the ancestral altar...

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #272 on: April 03, 2010, 04:25:21 PM »
Peach, I think you might be reading too much into things! :lol:

Not sure if it is slightly disrespectful to have confessionals in front of the ancestral altar...

Ha! I always think they show us stuff for a reason... :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #273 on: April 03, 2010, 08:59:13 PM »
NEW PIP!!! Video coming once I figure out where to put it :lol:

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #274 on: April 03, 2010, 09:22:53 PM »
PIP video:

Original Video - More videos at [banned image hosting site]
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 09:28:54 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule: