Author Topic: Amazing Race: 9th place teams.  (Read 26192 times)

Offline misterblah

• RFF Jr. Member
Amazing Race: 9th place teams.
« on: March 15, 2010, 10:49:09 AM »
I noticed that a lot of teams that had potential to win finished 9th.  :(

Examples: Heather and Eve -eliminated due to penalty
                  Jim and Marsha- missed flight connection             
                  Debbie and Bianca -got lost
                  Marianna and Julia -helped another team
                  Mark and Bill -penalty
                  Brad and Victoria -missed flight connection
                  Zev and Justin- lost passport
                  Monique and Shawne -struggled at both tasks.
                  Steve and Josh and Pat and Brenda -despite coming in first on the previous leg, they were eliminated the next.

Curse the 9th place finish!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Re: Amazing Race: 9th place teams.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 11:26:55 AM »

Mark and Bill -penalty
                  Steve and Josh and Pat and Brenda -despite coming in first on the previous leg, they were eliminated the next.

Many of my favourites are gone due to the 9th place curse. With the most significant one being Lena and Kristy! How could you forget them... :'(

I wouldn't say that all the 9th place teams had the potential to win.. but i definitely agree that most of the 9th place teams went too early. :(

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 04:26:19 PM »
Oh, yes indeed. The 9th-place curse. (:;)

I would add Wanda & Desiree to your list. They had strong showings on the first two legs. It was the German highway that did them in. :(

I've also noticed that recently there's been kind of an 8th-place curse too in recent seasons. Rob & Amber, Lorena & Jason, Amanda & Kris, and Joe & Heidi have all fallen victim to that one (but it's less common overall).
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 06:20:20 PM »
Out of the list, I think Pat and Brenda & Monique and Shawne were the ones who had the worst deal out of them. With all of them, they were avoidable (reading the clues better, realising that the Andes are not near the ocean :res:) but Pat and Brenda got done in by an intentionally ambiguous clue (Imagine if they did that today) and Monique & Shawne were killed by physical limitations.

Offline nathandg0924

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 04:36:35 AM »

I've also noticed that recently there's been kind of an 8th-place curse too in recent seasons. Rob & Amber, Lorena & Jason, Amanda & Kris, and Joe & Heidi have all fallen victim to that one (but it's less common overall).

Yeah but this is all a coincidence, and some of our faves fall victim to this so called "curse"

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 07:08:53 AM »
How about Amazing Race Asia? Had Sophie picked a more competent teammate or had more trust  (sorry I got to say this) I bet her team wouldn't have gotten eliminated. And had Brett taken his girlfriend rock climbing...

Sahil & Prashant did an early version of Kelly & Christy (to find a girl on a swing means to find A GIRL ON A SWING!). Aubrey & Jac were an early version of Maria & Tiffany... hopeless.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 07:12:14 AM by redskevin88 »

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 08:03:45 AM »
Add Wanda and Desiree to that list.
 :'(

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 08:11:30 AM »
Hold on a second...

How did we all manage to overlook Lena & Kristy?

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 08:59:17 AM »
Hold on a second...

How did we all manage to overlook Lena & Kristy?

We didn't. It was discussed in the second post by me.

And yes, add Wanda and Desiree to the list!!!!

Offline misterblah

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 06:54:46 PM »
I didn't add wanda and desiree to the list since I didn't watch amazing race 9. But yes, I'll add them to the list.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 07:28:15 PM »

Mark and Bill -penalty

God, I wouldn't agree that many of these teams had the potential to win, except for the very base fact that all teams have the statistical potential to win.

Pat & Brenda were so not going to be in it, and only started the so well due to the Fast FOrward being available in every leg (minus the finale) yet their first leg showed no evidence that that they excelled at any aspect of this race.

Steve & Josh only did well in two circumstances one was working with a group of two other teams, and taking a Fast Forward, on their own not so much.

Marianne & Julia sorry but this team did exceptionally poorly at nearly every aspect of each leg they were in.

Wanda & Desiree had one solid leg, after that they did poor to worse (and this includes both aspects of a double leg).  Fatigue was already hurting this team.  No way would they have managed.

Jim & Marsha neve showed on any of their legs any great strides or a level of performances that would indicate they would have faired well.

Heather & Eve started fairly solid but didn't improve, I don't think I could see this team surviving the fatigue.  And unlike say Teri & Ian I don't feel either had the drive (love them or hate them Teri & Ian had drive, even when they sucked).

Mark & Bill (I like them, a lot), but do I think this team could take the fatigue of the journey and be competitive???  Well at least their race was a week shorter then earlier season so less killer fatigue to deal with.

Brad & Victoria (I loved this team) and I do think they had the drive and physical ability to handle the fatigue.

Zev & Justin, I honestly don't know.  Fatigue and strength were a real problem with this team.  How well would they have managed, later...  Tasks choices could really, really kill this team (and its another I really liked).

Monique & Shawne felled by the physical nature of tasks, and early never a good sign for how you would handle the stress and fatigue and how that effects you down the line.

Debbie & Bianca did great on one leg, did medicore on the next and fell apart the next.  But this is one team that I really think could have recovered, I think they could have been a final three team.

Then we have Lena & Christy another team that did fairly well (nothing great), but got killed on one task.  I never pictured this team as final three material for their season, but I did figure top 5.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 03:23:53 PM »
I agree with mswood on his ratings of potential for 9th place finish teams. I think Debbie and Bianca, Lena and Christy and Brad and Victoria all could have done well if they had a second chance.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 08:08:22 PM »
Its very difficult to judge the  racers in the first few episodes, but to me as long as we see a team generally thinking (smart), staying focused and having a solid drive behind them, is what gives me my opinion.  And most of the teams don't on this list.  I stick by my three.  I think if Debbie & Bianca had survived they would have learned from their mistake (in navigation and being so over confident not to double check), I think Brad & Victoria easily had th edrive and the strength they just made a terrible choice in flights (especially at that stage of the race), Lena & Christy, showed promise and a lot of character, but out of the three teams here, they worried me down the road with fatigue, but I think they had a shot.

Offline misterblah

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 11:20:52 AM »
Well not obivously all the teams but I think all these teams had potential to stay at least halfway throught the race.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 02:03:49 PM »
Well not obivously all the teams but I think all these teams had potential to stay at least halfway throught the race.
Thats actually on first glance where I figured most of these teams would end.

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 02:34:18 PM »
Y'all thought Mom and I would be 9th place team or first team eliminated  :lol3:

Victoria mentioned that there's no way that Brad and Victoria would make it to Final Three due to her hip injury from running down the mountains in Leg Two. Poor her :(

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 05:58:07 PM »
Y'all thought Mom and I would be 9th place team or first team eliminated  :lol3:

Victoria mentioned that there's no way that Brad and Victoria would make it to Final Three due to her hip injury from running down the mountains in Leg Two. Poor her :(

She would now though!! Her hip is better than new!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 02:41:31 AM »
Y'all thought Mom and I would be 9th place team or first team eliminated  :lol3:

Not true at all. Spoilers helped, though. But even if I hadn't been spoiled I still would've expected you to make it far after your team's strong performance on Leg 1 combined with the strong edit the editors gave you.

Oh yeah, and the pre-race hype the promos gave you as well. Your team, Tammy & Victor, Mel & Mike, and Mark & Michael(?) all got promos and the rest of the teams didn't, I believe. So it was pretty obvious who would go far right from the start.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 03:56:42 PM »
Not at all! And your strong finish in the 1st leg proved you would be a team to be reckoned with! :tup:
Just here to visit.

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 05:40:48 PM »
Y'all thought Mom and I would be 9th place team or first team eliminated  :lol3:

Not true at all. Spoilers helped, though. But even if I hadn't been spoiled I still would've expected you to make it far after your team's strong performance on Leg 1 combined with the strong edit the editors gave you.

Oh yeah, and the pre-race hype the promos gave you as well. Your team, Tammy & Victor, Mel & Mike, and Mark & Michael(?) all got promos and the rest of the teams didn't, I believe. So it was pretty obvious who would go far right from the start.

It was Jaime & Cara that got the promo, not Mark & Michael. I remember when all four teams' promo came out, all people said to me, "All of you guys are the Final Four!!!!!!"  I was shocked of how it came out that way by leaving other teams out and only showed four teams that were in the Final Six. It was so obvious   :groan:

I remember the spoiler! Y'all thought I was a woman according to my ankle size from a picture in Thailand!  :lol3:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 07:14:36 PM »
We still   :-[ :-[ :-[  about that....   don't rub it in. :funny:  Cutest calves in town!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 02:55:19 PM »
We still   :-[ :-[ :-[  about that....   don't rub it in. :funny:  Cutest calves in town!!

:lol3:

Any chance you guys still got that picture? I would like to save it and print it and put in my photo album  :lol:

And about the pictures of teams being spoiled at Bangkok Airport, how come Mom and I weren't in any of it?? That's shame it wasn't shown before the season aired then y'all would thought that Mom and I would have been eliminated earlier!! That would have been a big surprise, haha.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 04:19:39 PM »
I'll look for you this week Luke...  :kuss:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 04:59:32 PM »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 08:39:24 PM »
Thank you slayton!! :hugs:
RFF's Golden Rule: