Author Topic: EP5: East Coast live show updates and commentary *please read the rules*  (Read 30277 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Thats it these people are so dumb, I have to start doing write ups again.

AWESOME!! :jumpy:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
That detour task was well designed and carried out weell on the screen. And it was oretty obvious to avoid the Morse Code task, because the explosions would make the task difficult.

Qhat killed me was some teams confusion WWI with WWII. Some of the comments from Louie and Michael were just......Caite-like.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
This leg is AWESOMELY planned and edited!  :yess:

Emmy-Award Winning Lines:

Carol: Smart people do Morse Code. Dumb people do this.
Brandy: More stupid people!

Jordan: Are you alright soldier?
Dan: Shut up brother!
Jordan: I'm just checking my fellow soldiers.

AND MY MOST FAVORITE LINE (This made me cry  :()

Heidi: Why did they U-Turn us?

------

I'm so sad that Joe and Heidi are Philiminated. They are such a lovely couple, but their cockiness eliminated them. Even in confessionals, Heidi was SO HAPPY and never knew they we're gonna be out of the race.  :(
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster

------

I'm so sad that Joe and Heidi are Philiminated. They are such a lovely couple, but their cockiness eliminated them. Even in confessionals, Heidi was SO HAPPY and never knew they we're gonna be out of the race.  :(

Heidi was nice and really supportive. Too bad Joe ticked the wrong buttons with the other teams. I remember the Guido's on All-Stars saying that they couldn't afford to be the villains since the race included the Yield. They got U-Turned ā la Weaver.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline caper

• StartLine Finder Queen!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
Great job as always everyone!!! :ty

Offline caper

• StartLine Finder Queen!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
Jeff puts the barrel of his rifle in his mouth after listening to Jordan.  Don't do that.  Point it at her!!!  Then pull the trigger.
Heehee, I think he felt like he was dying a slow, painful death and just wanted it to be over!!! :lolmao:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 09:57:58 PM by caper »

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
I can confidentially bet u Joe & H took a 24-hour penalty for not completing detour...

Well, they were in last place, and they probably didn't feel they could catch up to Jeff & Jordan, and they were so frustrated that they just gave up.  But yeah -- they would've had a 24-hour penalty if they hadn't been Philiminated.

And I guess Joe & Heidi went the way of Amanda & Kris -- although Amanda & Kris were much nicer than Joe appears to be.  Louie & Michael's decision was (mostly) personal, whereas Luke's decision was more strategic.

Belle Book

Seriously!!!!!!!!!!! MICHAEL AND LOUIE!!! You guys are frickin' idiot. There's no room to make a revenge if it's not all about strategies because that will come and haunt Michael and Louie for u-turning Joe & Heidi!

What they should have done is U-Turn Jet & Cord (the strongest team on the race) and put personal feelings aside!!! They should've grabbed the chance to knock a strong team out, not a weak team out!!! KEEP weak teams around much as possible!!!!!

That's my strategic move for U-Turn Amanda & Kris since they were pretty strong and there's no way I could out-perform Kris with his physical strength and they have been doing pretty well for first three legs. So, I took a first chance to knock them out!!  

As if Amanda and Kris' wood stack haven't fell apart, I would've u-turned Tammy & Victor....

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I can confidentially bet u Joe & H took a 24-hour penalty for not completing detour...

Well, they were in last place, and they probably didn't feel they could catch up to Jeff & Jordan, and they were so frustrated that they just gave up.  But yeah -- they would've had a 24-hour penalty if they hadn't been Philiminated.

And I guess Joe & Heidi went the way of Amanda & Kris -- although Amanda & Kris were much nicer than Joe appears to be.  Louie & Michael's decision was (mostly) personal, whereas Luke's decision was more strategic.

Belle Book

Seriously!!!!!!!!!!! MICHAEL AND LOUIE!!! You guys are frickin' idiot. There's no room to make a revenge if it's not all about strategies because that will come and haunt Michael and Louie for u-turning Joe & Heidi!

What they should have done is U-Turn Jet & Cord (the strongest team on the race) and put personal feelings aside!!! They should've grabbed the chance to knock a strong team out, not a weak team out!!! KEEP weak teams around much as possible!!!!!

That's my strategic move for U-Turn Amanda & Kris since they were pretty strong and there's no way I could out-perform Kris with his physical strength and they have been doing pretty well for first three legs. So, I took a first chance to knock them out!! 

As if Amanda and Kris' wood stack haven't fell apart, I would've u-turned Tammy & Victor....
To be fair, Joe & Heidi were still a strong team :lol: and on their Additional videos, Mike & Louie make a good point, that the cowboys aren't as well traveled. Besides, U-turning either team could've been useless from their point of view since JeJo were really far behind.
The story so far:
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
Joe & Heidi. :'(

I agree the U-turn was lousy. Not the decision itself, but the reasoning behind it. "Joe needs to learn a lesson." Yes, maybe he does. But elimination? Now granted, there's no way Louie & Michael could have known the significance of what they were doing at that moment, but based on spoilers, that may well have been a significant reason why they didn't make the F3. If they had done that to Jet & Cord or Dan & Jordan, things may well have turned out differently for them.

If I had been in that situation, I likely would have U-turned Joe & Heidi, but for strategic purpose, not for a pointless incident that rubbed me the wrong way. If not them, I would have chosen Jet & Cord. It really boils down to which team (and their associated strengths) is stronger: the more consistent team or the one that had a peak a couple legs back?

Now that I think about it, either Joe & Heidi, Jet & Cord, or Steve & Allie are the strongest team so far (can't decide which). It's a shame that every U-turn lately means certain doom. :P

And we even get a bonus: at least one more week to watch Jeff & Jordan stink it up at the back of the pack. :groan:

As for the Emmy Episode: This is certainly not the emmy episode for me. I would maybe go with Leg 3 (probably not, actually), but hopefully we haven't reached that episode yet. If we have, it's a shame, because I thought this one was too much of a staging with tasks, and not "genuine" enough. I hate these elaborately set up, staged tasks. They seem like an insult to what the race once was. Plus the editing really wasn't that great. It felt rather clunky instead. The best editing still goes to Leg 2, for me at least.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 02:48:35 AM by Hooky »
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
Joe's knee would not have lasted much longer. I think Mike and Louie should have U-Turned Jet and Cord also. I liked that they thought about getting Allie and Steve out because they have come in second place 3 weeks in a row, but personal feelings creeped in. I think this will come back to bite them and the cowboys will have no problem hurting Mike and Louie down the road.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
I'm pretty turn off by Michael and Louie. I think the producers must be feeling sad that the teams that are remaining in the race DOES NOT appeal to the viewers.

I'm a JET AND CORD fan now. They're fun, relaxed, smart, do their own thing and that impresses me.

I love Caite's love for adventure as well.. but when they quarrel...

As usual, Steve and Allie is love.

The U-TURN was stupid move by the detectives, and it was unfair.

Hated this episode.

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
If you watch the ES video this week with Joe and Heidi you will see that Joe is a hot head and Heidi has to deal with it. Mike and Louie made the right choice.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
Half of the teams were either overbearing, whiny, or incompetent this week. Not a good sign.

Strategically, the detectives made the wrong decision U-turning people. I can see why they did it though, considering half the teams  and viewers think Joe's annoying.

On the other hand, the fanbase seems to be unified on their two favorites!  :hearts: Cowboys or Steve/Allie FTW!

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster

C
This looks really fun.  And I can't believe a leg after a non elimination and with a U-turn doesn't have a bunching point.  Oh my god how far behind are Jordan & Jeff.....

Sure it does!! Bunched on the bus!! :neener:
Not quite! Teams entered the bus in Hamburg with positions and time differentials as determined by their pit stop finish and they got off the bus in France with exactly the same positions and time differentials. That means they were frozen during the bus ride. That is different from bunching.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster

C
This looks really fun.  And I can't believe a leg after a non elimination and with a U-turn doesn't have a bunching point.  Oh my god how far behind are Jordan & Jeff.....

Sure it does!! Bunched on the bus!! :neener:
Not quite! Teams entered the bus in Hamburg with positions and time differentials as determined by their pit stop finish and they got off the bus in France with exactly the same positions and time differentials. That means they were frozen during the bus ride. That is different from bunching.
I think peach meant it as a "physical bunching" as opposed to the teams being isolated from one another :lol:
The story so far:

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
On the use of the U-Turn (I still haven't really watched the episode yet, so I could be wrong), did Phil say this was the only one this season.  If so what Michael and Louie did was extremely risky (though it did work) as in most cases teams would be able to complete both sides of the detour in the allotted time.  Typically when teams get Yielded or U-Turned and survive it fires them up.  Since they said it was to put him down a peg, I am curious if they honestly thought it would knock the team out (though they may have not realized how far behind Jordan & Jeff truly were, which isn't that unusual, but unlike normal Pit Stops they travelled with them and you would think teams would talk). 

People here talk about U-Turn on Jet & Cord, while it's a sound choice again not very likely to work (based on how long it normally takes teams to complete detours).  In all honesty (though both teams on so far haven't been strong), the only teams that I personally would have thought the U-Turn's penalty would have time to take out would have been Brent & Caite or simply being brutal and killing Jordan & Jeff.

I think I would have done Brent & Caite. 

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
This leg is AWESOMELY planned and edited!  :yess:

AND MY MOST FAVORITE LINE (This made me cry  :()

------

I'm so sad that Joe and Heidi are Philiminated. They are such a lovely couple, but their cockiness eliminated them. Even in confessionals, Heidi was SO HAPPY and never knew they we're gonna be out of the race.  :(

Heidi was nice and really supportive. Too bad Joe ticked the wrong buttons with the other teams. I remember the Guido's on All-Stars saying that they couldn't afford to be the villains since the race included the Yield. They got U-Turned ā la Weaver.
Huh? The Weavers were never U-turned in season 8 since the U-turn did not exist until season 12. At the end of episode 9 in Salt Lake city their last-place finish led to non-elimination and a confiscation of all their possessions. That is no U-turn in my  book.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 11:19:15 AM by apskip »

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster

------

Huh? The Weavers were never U-turned in season 8 since the U-turn did not exist until season 12. At the end of episode 9 in Salt Lake city their last-place finish led to a confiscation of all their possessions. That is no U-turn in my  book.
I know the U-Turn came to be in season 12. What I meant was that they were U-turned in the same way the Paolos Yielded the Weavers in the sense that the special route marker was used on them due to spite.
The story so far:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Mike and Louie explain why they chose to eliminate Joe and Heidi and not Jet and Cord here:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Mike and Louie explain why they chose to eliminate Joe and Heidi and not Jet and Cord here:

I guess Michael is going to be happy losing to Jet/Cord. His rationale for not choosing them so he could harass Joe/Hedi is weak in my opinion. Jet/Cord have already in 5 episodes demonstrated that they have most of the key qualities needed to win an Amazing Race. What had Joe/Heidi demonstrated in 5 episodes other than a bad knee, ability to drink beer (unlikely to be useful in the rest) and lots of puffery?

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster

I guess Michael is going to be happy losing to Jet/Cord. His rationale for not choosing them so he could harass Joe/Hedi is weak in my opinion. Jet/Cord have already in 5 episodes demonstrated that they have most of the key qualities needed to win an Amazing Race. What had Joe/Heidi demonstrated in 5 episodes other than a bad knee, ability to drink beer (unlikely to be useful in the rest) and lots of puffery?

It was personal.  The like Jet/Cord and they did not like Joe.

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
thanks peach, that's makes sense on why they choose to U-Turned Joe & Heidi

Singaporean here - PM me, if you need me to translate, Chinese, Malay, English, German or Japanese

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
Yes, I think Mike and Louie would rather lose to the cowboys a stronger team then Joe and Heid who they clashed with. If you play sports then you would get this mind set.

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
As the great Herman Edwards once said, "You play to win the game.  You don't play it to just play it."

I'm not surprised that Louie & Michael didn't make the final 3 based on that video -- it's a losing mentality.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
As the great Herman Edwards once said, "You play to win the game.  You don't play it to just play it."

I'm not surprised that Louie & Michael didn't make the final 3 based on that video -- it's a losing mentality.

Not on topic, but Herman Edwards was the Eagles defensive back who in November 1978 recovered the famous fumble on the last play of the Giants/Eagles game after an incredibly stupid  botched handoff between Joe Pisarcik and Larry Csonka. He scored a touchdown, the Eagles won and went to the playoffs. It is still referred to as either "the Fumbler" or "Miracle at the Meadowlands". The game actually meant nothing to the giants, but it changed hte course of football history. Ever since that game, an NFL team which can run out the clock has the quarterback immediately kneel down and has 2 backs behind him in case of a fumble to tackle an defensive player lucky enough to recover it. Herman did win that game with a lot of help from Pisarcik and Csonka.