Author Topic: TAR16 - EP6: "Cathy Drone?" (France)  (Read 73135 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR16 - EP6: "Cathy Drone?" (France)
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2010, 10:14:24 PM »
My memory of French history is that in 1431 Joan of Arc drove out the British from the French mainland. The uncrowned King Charles VII sent her to the siege at Orléans as part of a relief mission. She gained prominence when she lifted the siege in only 9 days. Several more swift victories led to Charles VII's coronation at Rheims and settled the disputed succession to the throne.

There is a definitive tie between Joan of Arc and that cathedral"Cathy"). I still can't figure out where drone comes in=, as there are several different definitions of drone, none of which appears to make any sense in this context.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2010, 10:28:25 PM »
Screencaps: :hearts: with BIG thanks to a friend!!

MORE COMING....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2010, 10:31:55 PM »
My memory of French history is that in 1431 Joan of Arc drove out the British from the French mainland. The uncrowned King Charles VII sent her to the siege at Orléans as part of a relief mission. She gained prominence when she lifted the siege in only 9 days. Several more swift victories led to Charles VII's coronation at Rheims and settled the disputed succession to the throne.

There is a definitive tie between Joan of Arc and that cathedral"Cathy"). I still can't figure out where drone comes in=, as there are several different definitions of drone, none of which appears to make any sense in this context.

Later she was captured by the British (betrayed by her own countrymen, Jealosy?), tried as a heritic, condemed and burned at the stake.  The actual spot in Rheims is marked by a plaque and monument. Not actually in front of the Cathedral, but nearby.

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2010, 10:34:29 PM »
Yay @ Notre Dame!
 :hearts:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2010, 10:36:28 PM »
MORE:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2010, 10:45:38 PM »
Is Jeff holding a FF clue??

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2010, 10:46:32 PM »
Yay @ Notre Dame!

Think it is Rheims Cathedral....
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2010, 10:47:54 PM »

Thinking this is just someone who can't pronounce something like Cotes du Rhone....
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2010, 10:53:21 PM »
Yay @ Notre Dame!

Yeah it's the Reims Notre Dame..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_of_Reims
And the horseman statue screencap is joan d'arc by the cathedral.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 11:05:03 PM by Snooky »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2010, 10:53:56 PM »
From a friend:

"FWIW, the cathedral shown is the cathedral of Reims, where kings of France were crowned. It was here that Joan of Arc brought Charles VII after liberation to have him crowned. Heavily damaged during the war, and rebuilt with money from the Rockefellers. The statue of Joan of Arc is located on the Place du Parvis in Reims. Parvis is the empty square in front of the cathedral. The Place du Parvis is just north of that. When looking at the vidcap of the Cathedral, the parvis is the empty space in front of the cathedral. If you turned 90 degrees to the left you would see the statue of Joan of Arc. "
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2010, 11:34:16 PM »
Looks like a match to the Caves Tattinger to me??

http://www.pbase.com/oliviermondet/taittinger
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2010, 11:42:35 PM »
from Grape Radio:

The roots of Taittinger date back to 1734, when Champagne merchant Jacques Fourneaux established his company. The business prospered through the 19th century, ultimately Fourneaux-Forest merged with the Taittinger family, who retained control.

Join us as we accompany Cellarmaster Loïc Dupont through the famous Taittinger cellars, located in Reims on the site of Gallo-Roman chalk mines dug during the 4th century, and enlarged in the 13th century by the Saint Nicaise Abbey monks to provide storage for the Champagne wines which they traded in. Remains of the Abbey, which was destroyed during the French Revolution, are still visible today throughout the tunnels, in an excellent state of preservation.

For More Information on Champagne Taittinger: www.taittinger.com

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2010, 11:52:49 PM »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2010, 11:53:12 PM »

Aren't FF's all green?
 clue envelopes with the green Fast Forward marker can usually be spotted by the viewers(Googled this).

This looks like it has a compass or something on it...Is that a Roadblock sign?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2010, 11:56:07 PM »
Is the RB a rappel down to the chalk caves?

Taittinger
The oldest parts of Taittinger’s caves (called crayères in Champagne, from the French craie, chalk) were first excavated by Gallic slaves under the fourth-century Roman occupation to provide building materials for the growing city above. Look for the many curious grotesques carved into the chalk.

In the thirteenth century, the caves were enlarged by the monks of the Abbey of Saint Nicaise, who used them to store the champagne in which they traded. While the abbey was destroyed in the French Revolution, well-preserved portions still remain visible in the tunnels.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline b4us

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2010, 01:09:18 AM »
45 minutes Reims to Paris by TGV?

http://www.bookrags.com/news/new-high-speed-train-to-champagne-moc/

Yes.  Also this train goes to Gare de I'Est station in Paris and from there one can go by walking/metro/taxi to many famous places for pitstop; also connector to CDG.   I'm lovin the France legs.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2010, 01:14:32 AM »
Peach, I think that's just the bottom of the RI; I think they're headed to the Pit Stop.

And is Allie holding a Detour clue or a map when they crash? We do know one team gets lost on the way to the Detour.

Offline caper

• StartLine Finder Queen!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2010, 05:49:14 AM »
The B is the symbol used for Bordeaux

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2010, 07:33:28 AM »
Yay @ Notre Dame!

It is, but also named Notre-Dame just like the more famous one in Paris.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2010, 08:34:56 AM »
45 minutes Reims to Paris by TGV?

http://www.bookrags.com/news/new-high-speed-train-to-champagne-moc/
No trains go to CDG from Reims, but the new champagne-Ardennes TGV station is only 5km from Reims, so that is where AR16 teams are very likely to have boarded the TGV direct to CDG. It takes only 30 to 34 minutes because CDG is 16 miles NE of Paris center and Reims is ENE of Paris center
Here is the official current schedule and it is probably quite close to the one in effect in the first week of December:

GV number       2778 2760 5420/1 5486/7 5420/1 5450/1 2662 5470/1 2664 5486/7 5422/3 2672 2784 5424/5

Bar-le-Duc         6.14    .    .    .    .    .    .        .    .    .    .                                                        17.13    .
Vitry-le-François           .    .    .    .    .    .        .    .    .    .                                                        17.38    .
Meuse TGV         6.39 7.19           .                     9.10      9.50           11.12    .                  16.19    .    .
Châlons-en-          6.57                                                                                                            17.57                 
Champagne
Reims         .    .        .    .    .    .    .    .        .    .    .    .
Champagne-
Ardenne TGV         7.20       7.34   8.28      8.57   9.44           10.49    .       11.20    13.47    .       18.19  20.57
Marne-la-Vallée - Disney         .     8.57              10.13           11.18   .         11.49
Massy TGV                                                                          11.58             12.26    .    .    .    .
Airport CDG-TGV         .       8.08              9.27    .           .      .    .                         14.19    .    .            21.28
Paris Est              8.00 8.19     .    .    .                           10.49    .       12.11    .    .             17.20 19.00    .

Days of Non-Op    Sun SaSun Sun SaSun    6        NONE   6      NONE      6      M-F   NONE   NONE   NONE   Sun

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 10:01:55 AM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2010, 11:11:50 AM »
If you study the above rail schedule, a few aspects are paramount:

1. Although there are trains to Paris-Est, from which teams could catch a train to CDG airport 16 miles away, I doubt that they will do that.
2. Trains from the Champagne- Ardennes TGV station direct to CDG are at 734am, 827am, 147pm and 857pm. I think teams will take one of these.
3. You might think that a reasonable alternative to the Champagne-Ardennes TGV station is the Meuse TGV statio or the Massy TGV station. However, Meuse is 100 km east of Reims in precisely the wrong direction and neither one has trains to CDG..

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2010, 11:30:20 AM »
MORE:

Roadblock in the cellar finding the right wine bottle

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2010, 03:03:54 PM »

Aren't FF's all green?
 clue envelopes with the green Fast Forward marker can usually be spotted by the viewers(Googled this).

This looks like it has a compass or something on it...Is that a Roadblock sign?

It could be a FF clue covered up by driving instructions which would be in white.  It sure looks like a compass, but it didn't do Jeff much good the last time he tried to use it in Argentina.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2010, 06:52:04 PM »
The B is the symbol used for Bordeaux

It looks like they are doing the more flamboyant and flashy style of opening a Champagne bottle using a sword. The trick is to hit the cork hard enough to make it pop from the bottle but not so hard that you break the neck of the bottle. It looks like Cord (or is it Jet?) is doing it correctly.

Plaidmoon

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2010, 07:11:53 PM »

Later she was captured by the British (betrayed by her own countrymen, Jealosy?), tried as a heritic, condemed and burned at the stake.  The actual spot in Rheims is marked by a plaque and monument. Not actually in front of the Cathedral, but nearby.

The Burgundians captured Joan -- they were allied with the British, so it wasn't jealousy.

Belle Book