Author Topic: TAR16 - EP6: "Cathy Drone?" (France)  (Read 73299 times)

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR16 - EP6: "Cathy Drone?" (France)
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2010, 08:24:54 PM »
Their vineyard's in Rheims, I believe!

Just one set-up. Fast Forward?
There's a table with glasses behind, maybe the have to set up the pyramid as part of their task?
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2010, 08:25:08 PM »

Don't know who she is, but think she is the same as in puddin's cap.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2010, 08:26:45 PM »
Guys think find lead on the E
Taittinger family
he Taittinger family are a French wine family who are famous producers of champagne. Headed by Claude Taittinger (born 1927), a member of the consultative committee of the Banque de France, the Taittinger Group is ranked in the top 250 businesses in France.[citation needed] Its diversified holdings included Champagne Taittinger, Societe du Louvre and Concorde Hotels, whose flagship is the famed Hotel de Crillon on the Place de la Concorde in Paris, France as well as the Loire Valley wine producing firm of Bouvet-Ladubay, and a partnership in Domaine Carneros in California, until it was sold to Starwood Capital in 2005.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3f/Taittinger1.JPG

Peach  this  something look for

Offline b4us

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2010, 08:30:32 PM »
some info:
Champagne. The Champagne region, centered on the towns of Reims (Rheims) and Epernay, is the most northern of France's major vineyards. Unlike most of the best French wines, champagnes are blended in order to produce either non vintage champagnes (blended from different years) or vintage champagne, blended from wines of the same harvest. Consequently, since the quality of the champagne ultimately depends on a balance between the quality of the grapes and the skill of the blenders, Champagnes are also ranked and promoted by producer, not by any more finely delimited appellation . Possibly the most highly rated of blends is Krug; other well appreciated brands include Mumm, Bollinger and Heidsieck, not to mention the very well known brands of Moët & Chandon and Taittinger.The distinct taste and purity of real champagne is certainly due to the chalky soil and the continental growing conditions that abound in the Champagne region. Several of the main French Champagne producers have set up branches and vineyards in California, but in spite of bringing over their best master-blenders, have never been able to achieve quite the same result.
Although many people imagine that Champagnes are all white, this is not quite true. Rosé champagnes also exist.
Finally, please, the correct way to open a champagne cork is to ease it very gently out of the bottle. It is not to imitate a victorious Formula One racing driver and spray the contents of the bottle all over one's guests.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2010, 08:50:47 PM »
A Wine or Vine Detour? But I wish it is a Fast Forward.  :lol:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2010, 11:07:33 PM »
Thanks for the screencaps puddin!! :hearts:

Here is the Preview:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2010, 11:38:14 PM »
 :lol:  Just throwing this out there... while the Taittinger (Champagne Cellers) may be in Reims, the most famous of their vineyards is near Pierry (about 15 miles to the south) at Château de la Marquetterie.  We do see Caite and the other one romping around the vines, so maybe the glass pyramid is in a "carriage house" style structure at the vineyards.   :keeta:  carry on... *hic*

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2010, 07:03:19 AM »
Just an FYI...thanks Boingo!!

Taittinger Champagne
In 1734, Jacques Fourneaux, a merchant of champagne wines, established the company that would some day become Taittinger.

In that early part of the XVIIIth century, the Benedictine abbeys of Hautvillers, Pierry, Verzy, and Saint-Nicaise in Reims, owned the best vineyards in the Champagne region. They cultivated the vines and pressed the harvest to produce the first sparkling wines which they either sold themselves, or through agents in Epernay or Reims.

Jacques Fourneaux therefore joined the great adventure of the champagne trade...cautiously at first.

The House of the Counts of Champagne
The company prospered throughout the XIXth century and after the First World War moved to the fine XIIIth century historical residence located on rue de Tambour: "The House of the Counts of Champagne". This was the home of Thibaud IV, known as the Singer, who brought back from Cyprus the vines which are the ancestors of today's Chardonnay.

It is at this time that the merger occurred between the company, which had come to be known as Fourneaux-Forest, and the Taittinger family, which would ultimately take control.

Fourneaux-Forest label, 1839 vintage
The Taittinger family had its roots in Lorraine, but left its native province in 1870 following the Treaty of Frankfurt and settled in the Paris area in order to retain its French nationality.

Château de la Marquetterie
In around 1912, Pierre-Charles Taittinger was running a business involved in the distribution and export of champagne with one of his brothers-in-law. A young cavalry officer during the First World War he made his first visit to the Château de la Marquetterie near Epernay, at that time the headquarters of General de Castelnau and Marshal Joffre. He instantly fell in love with this magnificent property in the purest XVIIIth century style, anchored to the slope of one of the finest Champagne hillsides; its vineyards, unusually, planted partly with white "Chardonnay" grapes and partly with red "Pinot", giving the vineyards the appearance of a huge chessboard in the weeks leading up to the harvest. The vineyards of la Marquetterie had been run by Friar Oudart, one of the founding fathers of champagne.

In 1932 Pierre Taittinger succeeded in acquiring the great residence, which had formerly been home to the philosopher Cazotte, who was sent to the guillotine during the French Revolution for his loyalty to King Louis XVI.

Something of an innovator and visionary, Pierre Taittinger decided that Chardonnay was to be the dominant grape for the brand. This has been a wise choice since the modern consumer enjoys the lightness, finesse and elegance afforded by this variety. From 1945, François, the third son of Pierre Taittinger, along with his two brothers Jean and Claude, oversaw a period of remarkable growth for the champagne house which for a number of years had carried their family name and began operation in the cellars of the Saint-Nicaise monastery, built in the XIIIth century on magnificent Gallo-Roman chalk cellars dating from the second century. A tragic car accident in 1960 cut short his brief but prolific career. Since then Claude Taittinger has presided over the destiny of one of the last great champagne houses to bear the name of the family that runs it, himself overseeing the quality of its products in line with tradition.

http://www.taittinger-champagne.sparklingdirect.co.uk/
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline serendipity

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2010, 08:22:09 AM »
Their vineyard's in Rheims, I believe!

Just one set-up. Fast Forward?

Agree! The champagne thing looks like Fast Forward, just wondering why Caite/Brent can get to that before other teams, maybe a bunching at the start?

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2010, 10:54:24 AM »
So is "Cathy Drone" the name of the particular vineyard that Brent/Caite are wandering around in, trying to find the location of the carriage house?
Matthew 7:15

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2010, 11:26:09 AM »
 :lol:  My guess it's a Methuselah (6 liter) or Salamanzer (9 liter) bottle (non-vintage prices approx. $600-$1000) used in the pyramid pouring.

IIRC, Taittinger uses the Chardonnay varietal in it's champagnes.   :keeta:

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2010, 12:25:51 PM »
So is "Cathy Drone" the name of the particular vineyard that Brent/Caite are wandering around in, trying to find the location of the carriage house?

Someone messing up French words - cafe du Rhone?  cote du Rhone?

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2010, 12:30:46 PM »
some info:
Champagne. The Champagne region, centered on the towns of Reims (Rheims) and Epernay, is the most northern of France's major vineyards. Unlike most of the best French wines, champagnes are blended in order to produce either non vintage champagnes (blended from different years) or vintage champagne, blended from wines of the same harvest. Consequently, since the quality of the champagne ultimately depends on a balance between the quality of the grapes and the skill of the blenders, Champagnes are also ranked and promoted by producer, not by any more finely delimited appellation . Possibly the most highly rated of blends is Krug; other well appreciated brands include Mumm, Bollinger and Heidsieck, not to mention the very well known brands of Moët & Chandon and Taittinger.The distinct taste and purity of real champagne is certainly due to the chalky soil and the continental growing conditions that abound in the Champagne region. Several of the main French Champagne producers have set up branches and vineyards in California, but in spite of bringing over their best master-blenders, have never been able to achieve quite the same result.
Although many people imagine that Champagnes are all white, this is not quite true. Rosé champagnes also exist.
Finally, please, the correct way to open a champagne cork is to ease it very gently out of the bottle. It is not to imitate a victorious Formula One racing driver and spray the contents of the bottle all over one's guests.

From my knowledge, which comes from a tour of the champagne region 25 years ago, b4us has the most succinct handle on the Champagne region. It is extensive, but the centers of it are Rheims and Epernay. The most prominent producers with major tour operations of their storage areas and tastings are:

Rheims - Krug, Mumm, Piper Heidsieck, Veuve-Cliquot, Tattinger
Epernay - Heidsieck & Co., Moet & Chandon, Perrier-Jouet

All of the producers have vineyards scattered around the region, so a chateau stacking wine glasses for show could be located anywhere.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2010, 12:35:06 PM »
:lol:  My guess it's a Methuselah (6 liter) or Salamanzer (9 liter) bottle (non-vintage prices approx. $600-$1000) used in the pyramid pouring.

IIRC, Taittinger uses the Chardonnay varietal in it's champagnes.   :keeta:

One of the things I learned on my tour of the Champagne region is that French champagne makers blend anything they wish to get a year-to-year uniform taste. They are not required to exclusively use champagne grapes(Chardonnay, Pinot noir and Pinot Meunier) from the Champagne region. What masters is consistency of taste.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2010, 01:47:29 PM »
I am going to make a guess that this title is a reference to Notre-Dame de Rheims (Our Lady of Rheims) the Roman Catholic cathedral  of Rheims, where the kings of France were once crowned. A major site for tourism in the Champagne region, it accommodated about half a million visitors in recent years.

Offline slpdx

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2010, 02:56:55 PM »
There is a new :30 clip posted at CBS (sorry, I can't bring it over from the computer I'm on).  It's not just C/B doing the champagne tower, so it definitely looks like a detour task.   The RB may be going down into the cellar looking for a specific bottle.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 03:03:12 PM by slpdx »

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2010, 03:02:24 PM »

The Amazing Race 16 - Cathy Drone?

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2010, 03:15:40 PM »
That's a nice shot of the Rheims Cathedral at the start. Near there is a statue of Joan of Arc, so I guess we're definitely in Rheims.

Detour - Pluck or Place?

I have a funny feeling this entire leg will center around Tattinger's vineyard.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 03:22:50 PM by Zack. »

Offline caper

• StartLine Finder Queen!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2010, 03:48:24 PM »

Don't know who she is, but think she is the same as in puddin's cap.

check this site out:http://www.zazzle.com/linstant_taittinger_binder-127398744672694993
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 04:05:02 PM by caper »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2010, 03:54:55 PM »
CHAMPAGNE ON THE BRAIN LEADS RACERS TO THE WRONG CITY, AND ONE TEAM'S POSITION IN THE RACE IS SECURED  BY A ROLL OF DUCT TAPE, ON "THE AMAZING RACE," SUNDAY, MARCH 21
ON THE CBS TELEVISION NETWORK

"Cathy Drone?" (France) – Racers are less than bubbly after sprinting to the wrong Detour location, and one Racer tests the power of duct tape after their car becomes a casualty of the Race, on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, March 21 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is host.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2010, 06:42:30 PM »
CHAMPAGNE ON THE BRAIN LEADS RACERS TO THE WRONG CITY, AND ONE TEAM'S POSITION IN THE RACE IS SECURED  BY A ROLL OF DUCT TAPE, ON "THE AMAZING RACE," SUNDAY, MARCH 21

"Cathy Drone?" (France) – Racers are less than bubbly after sprinting to the wrong Detour location, and one Racer tests the power of duct tape after their car becomes a casualty of the Race, on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, March 21 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is host.

Hmmm.  We saw Steve and Allie mash their car's fender.  Now they will apply duct tape.
Who goes to the wrong Detour location?  J&J are not too swift directions and there's the whole Caite and geography thing.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2010, 06:52:54 PM »

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2010, 06:58:55 PM »
CHAMPAGNE ON THE BRAIN LEADS RACERS TO THE WRONG CITY, AND ONE TEAM'S POSITION IN THE RACE IS SECURED  BY A ROLL OF DUCT TAPE, ON "THE AMAZING RACE," SUNDAY, MARCH 21

"Cathy Drone?" (France) – Racers are less than bubbly after sprinting to the wrong Detour location, and one Racer tests the power of duct tape after their car becomes a casualty of the Race, on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, March 21 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is host.

Hmmm.  We saw Steve and Allie mash their car's fender.  Now they will apply duct tape.
Who goes to the wrong Detour location?  J&J are not too swift directions and there's the whole Caite and geography thing.

Lord, this 1st part says RACERS go to the wrong CITY...then it says RACERS sprint to the wrong DETOUR location.....So does it appears to be more than one team or are they using RACERS to mean "the team"? And do they go to the wrong city & detour location? Geesh

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2010, 07:43:50 PM »
:lol: How to open a champagne bottle with a sword instructions.  :keeta:

Awesome.  I'm sure Dan & Jordan would thank you.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2010, 09:56:56 PM »
I'll get them screencap'd in a while!! :hearts:

Meanwhile...I see a gate with a B ....what's that all about??
RFF's Golden Rule: