Author Topic: TAR16 - EP5: "I Think We're Fighting the Germans, Right?" (France)  (Read 94274 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR16 - EP5: "I Think We're Fighting the Germans, Right?" (France)
« Reply #200 on: March 14, 2010, 08:32:41 PM »
So I am a bit slow here...NO ROADBLOCK??
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #201 on: March 14, 2010, 08:38:33 PM »

I wonder if it was edited out, or there just wasn't one.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #202 on: March 14, 2010, 08:40:53 PM »
No roadblock. It'd hard to see where it would have been this week, with both the U-Turn and the Speed Bump/

And when were the previous moving pit stops?

I can think of one off-hand -- Switzerland to France TAR 3 (Boat on Lake Geneva). Any others?

-- theschnauzers

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #203 on: March 14, 2010, 08:43:25 PM »
No roadblock. It'd hard to see where it would have been this week, with both the U-Turn and the Speed Bump/

I can think of one off-hand -- Switzerland to France TAR 3 (Boat on Lake Geneva). Any others?

The boat Pit Stop in Vietnam last season.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #204 on: March 14, 2010, 08:54:05 PM »
"DETOUR.  Two important tasks were related to trench warfare during World War One in France. (1) UNDER WIRE and (2) OVER WIRE  In Under Wire teams must crawl one hundred meters on their bellies under a canopy of barbed wire during an artillary barrage and air bombardment. When they have reached their destination, the officer will give them their next clue. A physically challenging task, but if they do not get caught on the pointed barbs, they will complete the task in a short time.  In Over Wire teams must travel across the battle field stringing a line of communication wire from the command post to the observation post, and then using morse code to transmit a message back to the CP.  If the message is transmitted correctly, and the team member can deceiver the coded message, the officer in charge will give them their next clue."

You hit the nail on the near head! Good Job!  :tup:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline caper

• StartLine Finder Queen!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #205 on: March 14, 2010, 09:16:44 PM »
I know, what's that all about??? :duno:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #206 on: March 14, 2010, 10:29:09 PM »
Here's Gilles' place; about halfway between the chateau and Massiges.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #207 on: March 14, 2010, 11:18:56 PM »

It wasn't exactly moving pit stops, rather, teams were transported to another location during the pit stop...

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #208 on: March 14, 2010, 11:42:04 PM »
Leaderboard as per fifth episode:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 05:12:57 AM by Evan_Weinstein »
Singaporean here - PM me, if you need me to translate, Chinese, Malay, English, German or Japanese

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #209 on: March 15, 2010, 01:44:07 AM »

It wasn't exactly moving pit stops, rather, teams were transported to another location during the pit stop...

If the teams arrive at the pit stop in one country, and depart the pit stop in another country or city, then the pit stop was moving. But it does explain how TPTB avoided the possibility of drunk or overly hungoverRacers driving long distance from Germany to France.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #210 on: March 15, 2010, 07:14:12 AM »
Beautiful leaderboard Evan!! Thanks for doing it!! :tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #211 on: March 15, 2010, 09:10:46 AM »
Anyone agrees?

JOE (of Joe and Heidi from TAR 16) = JAMES (of Survivor Heroes Vs. Villains)

:lol3:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #212 on: March 15, 2010, 09:31:26 AM »
My estimation of Jeff has soared after this episode. He obviously did his homework before the race by watching European Vacation.
There goes Big Ben, there goes Parliament...
:lol3:

I have to applaud TPTB for leaving that in. My guess is that most don't get the humour in that line.
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #213 on: March 15, 2010, 10:24:39 AM »
Okay, i really hate this episode.

I hate episodes where teams placement does not change. I hate it when the teams are U-TURNed to do something that is almost impossible. Kudos for Joe and Heidi for even trying to break the code, BECAUSE.. there is simply NO WAY that i can do something like that and i would have given up on the spot. These two totally showed the asian spirit of not giving up! Another wonderful team eliminated from this season.. i think this is the first season where the teams that i think i like get eliminated 10th, 9th and 8th. Like some curse is going on.

Jeff and Jordan are plain whiney and dumb and the fact that they took over Joe and Heidi's place in the final 7 is ridiculous. And seriously, any team U-TURNed this leg WILL be eliminated because if you KNOW NUTS about MORSE CODE, you will be eliminated. When did the U-TURN turn into a SABOTAGE to ELIMINATE a team instead of HOLDING back a team. Hate the unfairness on TAR and i'm very displeased with this episode.

This episode could have been amazing with the Detour AND ANOTHER ROADBLOCK... because seriously, there really isn't anything to see in this episode. They forced us to spend so much time watching all the different teams crawl over the same spot at the same area over and over again? Some plain cheapskate planning for the race to save money? This is just ridiculous.

Very unhappy with this episode and to think my love for the season just nearly picked up last week. What a way to eliminate a team and it was based on one team's decision. And you can't blame Joe and Heidi for not being able to do morse code. WHICH OF THE OTHER TEAMS KNEW??????????????????????

:res: :res: :res: :res: :res: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles:

ALL I CAN SAY IS.. KARMA WILL BITE MICHAEL AND LOUIE BACK. Shanna and Jennifer didn't win, Kynt and Vyxsin didn't win, Margie and Luke didn't win... all they can depend on is TAMMY AND VICTOR to give them some luck. :lol3:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 10:28:03 AM by Joab »

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #214 on: March 15, 2010, 12:08:32 PM »

I hate episodes where teams placement does not change. I hate it when the teams are U-TURNed to do something that is almost impossible. Kudos for Joe and Heidi for even trying to break the code, BECAUSE.. there is simply NO WAY that i can do something like that and i would have given up on the spot. These two totally showed the asian spirit of not giving up! Another wonderful team eliminated from this season.. i think this is the first season where the teams that i think i like get eliminated 10th, 9th and 8th. Like some curse is going on.

Jeff and Jordan are plain whiney and dumb and the fact that they took over Joe and Heidi's place in the final 7 is ridiculous. And seriously, any team U-TURNed this leg WILL be eliminated because if you KNOW NUTS about MORSE CODE, you will be eliminated. When did the U-TURN turn into a SABOTAGE to ELIMINATE a team instead of HOLDING back a team. Hate the unfairness on TAR and i'm very displeased with this episode.

This episode could have been amazing with the Detour AND ANOTHER ROADBLOCK... because seriously, there really isn't anything to see in this episode. They forced us to spend so much time watching all the different teams crawl over the same spot at the same area over and over again? Some plain cheapskate planning for the race to save money? This is just ridiculous.

I would have like to see another team try the morse code so that we could get another "take" on the degree of difficulty.

The U-Turn is a very strategic tool in the race.  I agree with Luke's idea that teams need to use the U-Turn to slow down or get rid of their competition.  This is a race ... for 1 million dollars.  Too often the U-Turn is not used by team near the front because the front-runners do not feel they are in danger of being eliminated.

When the Detectives used the Blind Detour, they were hoping to slow Joe down.  They had no idea the other leg of the Detour would take so long.  And the U-Turn was hardly blind as there were only 2 teams ahead of Joe & Heidi.  And the arrived at the clue box with Steve & Allie.

The U-Turn is supposed to shake things up, re-arrange placings and create conflict.  The U-Turn created the most drama in this episode.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #215 on: March 15, 2010, 12:41:06 PM »
To be fair, the Morse Code was NOT an impossible task. The transmission sounds were slow, and they had a manual in front of them. As long as they could copy down the transmission and then translate, they would have completed in a reasonable amount of time (less than 2 hours). The fact that nobody ever does the mental task anymore just goes to show the dumbing-down of the cast.

However, the U-turn has become too overpowered and needs to be retired. Not once have I seen a team that has escaped from a U-turn that has been used properly.

As for a Roadblock, enough was going on in the episode anyway. Last leg demonstrated that cramming too many tasks with a lot of teams and a long plane flight does not make for good editing.

Felt this leg was a mix of the 6th and 7th leg in TAR 15.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #216 on: March 15, 2010, 12:45:31 PM »
The detour location...

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #217 on: March 15, 2010, 01:12:36 PM »

I would have like to see another team try the morse code so that we could get another "take" on the degree of difficulty.

The U-Turn is a very strategic tool in the race.  I agree with Luke's idea that teams need to use the U-Turn to slow down or get rid of their competition.  This is a race ... for 1 million dollars.  Too often the U-Turn is not used by team near the front because the front-runners do not feel they are in danger of being eliminated.

When the Detectives used the Blind Detour, they were hoping to slow Joe down.  They had no idea the other leg of the Detour would take so long.  And the U-Turn was hardly blind as there were only 2 teams ahead of Joe & Heidi.  And the arrived at the clue box with Steve & Allie.

The U-Turn is supposed to shake things up, re-arrange placings and create conflict.  The U-Turn created the most drama in this episode.

I have a different perspective on the use of the U-turn. Most U-turns are used on teams near the back of the pack to eliminate them. The reason is that the front-running teams are inconvenienced by being slowed down, but they seldom find a task that is beyond their capabilities. In the case of Joe and Heidi, they were unlucky because their task was very difficult (underscored by the fact that no other team dared to try it as their DETOUR option). That does not mean that the U-turn can be used effectively to get out leading teams. In all the cases I know where U-turns were used, here are the positions of the teams who were U-turned:

AR12 - Shana/Jennifer #6 U-turned Jason/Lorena #8 (last)
AR12 - Kynt/Vyxsin #3 attempted to U-turn a team ahead of them, Nicolas and Donald, which nullified that U-Turn
AR13 - none
AR14 - Margie/Luke #4 used Blind U-turn on Amanda/Kris #5
AR14 - Tammy/victor #1 U-turned on Kisha/Jen #4
AR15 - none
AR16 - Louis/Michael #1  Blind U-turned Joe/Heidi #3

So, episode 5 of AR16 is the only one where a leading team in fact attempted to use it on another leading team.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #218 on: March 15, 2010, 01:48:18 PM »
Pit Stop - Wargemoulin-Hurlus
You can see the bridge they crossed and just see the church steeple in Google street view.

Offline Nume

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #219 on: March 15, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
I really dont think it was that bad of a 2nd task. Honestly, morse code really isnt that hard. There was no excuse for Joe and Heidi to not be able to figure it out with the immense amount of time they had. They never even got close. All morse code is is dots and dashes, and you could hear the sounds. Its not like there are other options, either its a shot beep or a long beep. I just cant see how they couldnt just write down each series of 4 and figure out the letters, even if in the wrong order, to unscramble it. Remember, this is the same team that thought they could find the gold without counting their steps bc he had a compass.... Anyways still didnt like this leg too much. All of the tasks were simple, and with no group travel to equalize the teams, you can easily see why the order didnt change much other than the u-turn. The only other change was the brothers and the lesbians switching places.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #220 on: March 15, 2010, 04:18:57 PM »
I think Joe & Heidi's main problem with the morse code was that they didn't expect a real long message. They tried phrases that begun with T, V and W all of which were words in the correct answer. Maybe they thought it was a shorter one and got further confused.
The story so far:
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #221 on: March 15, 2010, 04:43:21 PM »
Someone else pointed out that the code was two sentences in two different languages.

It doesn't even seem like they were told what sound was a dot and what sound was a dash.

Doing that with bombs going off around you doesn't seem easy for someone who doesn't know anything about morse code.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #222 on: March 15, 2010, 05:00:58 PM »
It doesn't even seem like they were told what sound was a dot and what sound was a dash.

Alas Joe & Heidi knew how it worked, and they were probably on the right track. They probably didn't think it was two sentences.. Still I agree the bombing made it extremely difficult
The story so far:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #223 on: March 15, 2010, 05:14:18 PM »
From his demeanor and his lack of knowledge of Morse Code, Joe was obviously never a Boy Scout.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Nume

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #224 on: March 15, 2010, 05:20:20 PM »
I realize that it would take some time, but I just think with the time they had, they should have been able to slowly work out what each letter was in the code. There was noise around them, but the code came through a headset, and I dont think just hearing it was their biggest issue. I'm not saying it was easy, but they had well over 2 hours to get it (2 hours just from their starting times, not counting jordaneff getting lost multiple times and having to do speed bump). I just dont feel that sorry for them, like some ppl seem to. Sure is sucked that they had to do an extra task, but thats part of the game and the task was not impossible. Also on the positive side, I know that Jordaneff will be absolutely no threat to the teams I actually want to do well :P.