Author Topic: TAR16 - EP5: "I Think We're Fighting the Germans, Right?" (France)  (Read 94503 times)

Offline graytex

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR16 - EP5: "I Think We're Fighting the Germans, Right?" (France)
« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2010, 09:34:03 AM »
Jet & Cord are definitely at the U-Turn board.  And I agree that the people on the bike look most like Steve & Allie.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2010, 10:15:37 AM »
Speed bump - WW1 era Tour de France

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2010, 10:36:40 AM »
Speed bump - WW1 era Tour de France

Then i don't think Steve & allie would be doing a Speedbump, do you?? Must be JJ then!Arrgghhhh

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2010, 11:43:59 AM »
I think that TPTB might have skimped on costs for some of the other tasks this season because they felt they'd get a lot of usable material out of this setting, The tri-plane pilot and fuel is probably a couple of thousand euros for the day, and they probably spend more than that on extras *"locals") watching or on using airlines for a leg that they just shift to a city for a second leg.

But from the footage they've used in the previews and promos, it looks very eye-catching and visual, so I think that production decision paid off. I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes the Emmy episode for this season.
-- theschnauzers

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2010, 12:47:43 PM »
Back on Joe

Just because we don't have much showing Joe being an ass, remember that racers see a lot more of them then we ever do.  We get just a small peak into the race.  And both Joe & Heidi have said that he can be cocky and pushy.  Joe even says their biggest weakness will be his mouth.  Now I don't think he is anywhere near the behavior of the worst of the race's history.  But the fact that others say tehy are really uncomfortable around him is really telling.  Hell in one it look like a racer is about to cry over it.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2010, 06:44:42 PM »
Back on Joe

Just because we don't have much showing Joe being an ass, remember that racers see a lot more of them then we ever do.  We get just a small peak into the race.  And both Joe & Heidi have said that he can be cocky and pushy.  Joe even says their biggest weakness will be his mouth.  Now I don't think he is anywhere near the behavior of the worst of the race's history.  But the fact that others say tehy are really uncomfortable around him is really telling.  Hell in one it look like a racer is about to cry over it.

So, while Joe's not the worst guy in Race history (Wil, Jonathan the Jerk, Lake, Nathan and Lance are all worse than he is), his personality might rub people the wrong way enough that Racers are willing to U-Turn him.  It may not be the main reason, but it sure doesn't help him any.

Belle Book

Offline caper

• StartLine Finder Queen!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2010, 09:36:07 PM »
Could be jeff and jordan.

Anyone else notice that one is wearing a white hat in this pic and in previous bike pic both hats are black???  Could it be two teams???
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 05:52:01 AM by caper »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2010, 10:20:41 PM »
Hidden cameras?

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #133 on: March 09, 2010, 10:23:39 PM »
Or a referee post; maybe it's a playfield like the one they found in Kiev.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #134 on: March 09, 2010, 10:24:01 PM »

Anyone else notice that one is wearing a white hat in this pick and in previous bike pic both hats are black???  Could it be two teams???

Nice caper!! Hope it is not a trick of the light :duno:

Heee...I am thinking KILTS>

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #135 on: March 10, 2010, 05:27:15 PM »
Have we considered airplane from Hamburg to Paris and then TGV to Lille?

If they took the train, shame on TPTB for bypassing Belgium.

Caelestor,
Brussels is the capitol of Belgium and it is clearly part of the train itinerary. The planes might fly around Belgium, but the shortest route for trains between Hamburg and Lille is through Belgium.

By bypass, I meant "not host a leg there." Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Offline serendipity

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #136 on: March 10, 2010, 07:13:43 PM »

But seems to me if the U-Turn is in the War Zone, ALL the teams have to be able to see it...so I am thinking War Zone is NOT a Detour but a task they all have to do...

Maybe the Detour is WITHIN the war zone...we see a cluebox there, we have some teams crawling under barbed wire, some in a explosive area, and there is that sidecar with I think a machine gun housing on it as well...So my guess would be two separate Detours WITHIN the war zone. What exactly, I have no idea. :lol:

Both detour choices must be something within the war zone, otherwise the U-turn will be unfair since the box is set up in the war field. I think it's like TAR14 Leg 4 where they can access to both detour easily and the U-turn box is somewhere between both sites.

Also, it's usual for the producers to put Roadblock after Detour if there's a U-turn, because they have to give the U-turned team a chance to catch up, otherwise they must be last for sure. Same reason for Speed Bump to be at the first of the leg.

DavidJunior

« Reply #137 on: March 11, 2010, 12:48:28 AM »
could the detour be something like "trenches or front-lines"?

we see one team (JJ i believe), walking in what looks to be a trench

and we see several other teams going through an obstacle course of sorts while under "heavy fire"

maybe the trenches are a maze thing where teams have to figure out how to make it to the end, or at least find something in there?

and then the battlefield is an obstacle course where if teams get "hit" (with paint perhaps?) they must start over?

we do hear Jordan (male) say he was "hit".  :duno:

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #138 on: March 11, 2010, 05:52:17 AM »
It will be a mixture of TAR 8 the "Civil War" detour, plus the TAR 13 Russian soldier detour... with a U-turn thrown in...

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2010, 07:08:34 AM »
It will be a mixture of TAR 8 the "Civil War" detour, plus the TAR 13 Russian soldier detour... with a U-turn thrown in...
Yeah, it's certainly shaping up that way! :tup:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #140 on: March 11, 2010, 10:53:33 AM »
I think that the Detour could be BAKE or BIKE.   

In reply #110 we have a quick shot of Michael and Louie walking eating BAGETTES the world famous French Bread a staple of every Frenchman's diet (along with wine, of course.)

In replys #106 and #107 we seem to have scenes of two different BIKE riders symbolic of the world famous bike race THE TOUR DE FRANCE.  Spec is that one team is Steve and Allie the other being Jordan and Jeff.

So the detour represents two famous French activities BAKE or BIKE

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #141 on: March 11, 2010, 12:50:49 PM »

Anyone else notice that one is wearing a white hat in this pick and in previous bike pic both hats are black???  Could it be two teams???

Looks like JJ & S/A and I think they are wearing knickers, like the old golf-looking ones..not kilts...

Offline b4us

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #142 on: March 11, 2010, 04:22:55 PM »
I thought maybe Louie was quoting from "Apocalypse Now," but the original line is "I love the smell of napalm in the morning."

He is paraphrasing.  Sulfur was the gas of choice during WWI.  Really horrible stuff.

Offline b4us

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2010, 04:32:16 PM »

Looks like JJ & S/A and I think they are wearing knickers, like the old golf-looking ones..not kilts...

on opposite sides of the roadway

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2010, 05:25:31 PM »

on opposite sides of the roadway

:res:  oh, look, magic, now they are on the correct side of the road...  CBS video editors (and TAR detectives) can do wonders when they require the right shot in the previews.  No biggie...

Offline b4us

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2010, 05:57:26 PM »
That's :hugs: hilarious!

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2010, 09:46:40 PM »
I thought maybe Louie was quoting from "Apocalypse Now," but the original line is "I love the smell of napalm in the morning."

He is paraphrasing.  Sulfur was the gas of choice during WWI.  Really horrible stuff.

As I recall the gas of choice in WWI was Chlorine Gas not sulfur.  The other gas which was used mostly by the Germans was Mustard Gas which was much harder to protect against.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #147 on: March 11, 2010, 11:23:53 PM »
Short promo that aired tonight, pretty much the same as we already have though.

RFF's Golden Rule:

DavidJunior

« Reply #148 on: March 12, 2010, 01:35:04 AM »
I think that the Detour could be BAKE or BIKE.   

In reply #110 we have a quick shot of Michael and Louie walking eating BAGETTES the world famous French Bread a staple of every Frenchman's diet (along with wine, of course.)

In replys #106 and #107 we seem to have scenes of two different BIKE riders symbolic of the world famous bike race THE TOUR DE FRANCE.  Spec is that one team is Steve and Allie the other being Jordan and Jeff.

So the detour represents two famous French activities BAKE or BIKE

I like this idea

both could easily end up at the battlefield for the dreaded U-turn followed by a general WWI task.  No Roadblock maybe?

Offline b4us

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #149 on: March 12, 2010, 01:54:46 AM »

As I recall the gas of choice in WWI was Chlorine Gas not sulfur.  The other gas which was used mostly by the Germans was Mustard Gas which was much harder to protect against.

Sulpur mustard was the chemical agent used in shells.  The sulpur provided the distinctive odor.  Thus, Louie's statement.