Author Topic: TAR16 - EP5: "I Think We're Fighting the Germans, Right?" (France)  (Read 94297 times)

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR16 - EP5: "I Think We're Fighting the Germans, Right?" (France)
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2010, 12:27:25 PM »
I think that assault course is a detour actually: It looks like right after they finish the assault course, then the U-Turn appears. But I can't find any assault courses in France...

I was thinking the same thing, but I wonder what the options are?  They did a Civil War Re-enactment Detour in Family Edition, "Heat of the Battle/Heat of the Night."

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2010, 12:39:26 PM »
OK, trees and dirt not doing anything for me... so here's some trivia to hold us over till we get more clues.

No surprise, the racers are dressed in US Army uniforms.  BTW, the shoulder patch indicates that they are in the US Army 1st Infantry Division.  ...oh yeah, the guys in blue are the French ...meh, carry on.

Society of the First Infantry Division

Where 1st Division fought in WW1
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 01:03:42 PM by Boingo »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2010, 12:50:40 PM »
Have we considered airplane from Hamburg to Paris and then TGV to Lille?

If they took the train, shame on TPTB for bypassing Belgium.

Caelestor,
Brussels is the capitol of Belgium and it is clearly part of the train itinerary. The planes might fly around Belgium, but the shortest route for trains between Hamburg and Lille is through Belgium.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2010, 12:53:24 PM »
If this is a 12-hour-ish pit stop (with all the teams checking in at night, they'd be departing in daytime....and I would hope that TPTB wouldn't expect them to be driving with hangovers after all of that beer.

The previews are daylight, which suggests either a longer pitstop, or a bunching on arrival in France. If the pitstop is longer then self-driving becomes possible, although I think TPTB have greater control over arrival times if they leave by train.

The 9:00 am trains may be too early for all of the teams to make, though, with all of the tasks they had in this last leg after arriving on the train from Frankfurt; I don't think any of the teams finished by 9pm at night.
-- theschnauzers

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2010, 01:06:35 PM »
I don't know if mine is better or worse?? :lol: But I'm thinking Steve and Allie too. :(  ...or maybe Joe and Heidi now. :lol:

If it was indeed Steve & Allie or Joe & Heidi turned out to be Blind U-Turn Victims.... BIG MISTAKEEEEE!!!!!

U-Turn Jet & Cord!!!!! Always target the strong team!!! Keep weak teams in the race!

I guess nobody learned a lesson from my mom and me about who to target for Blind U-Turn...  :lol:

But, I'm glad that a team made a bold move! There won't be a karma if a team made a strategic move unless an U-Turned team survived then.... uh-oh.

Offline graytex

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2010, 01:29:52 PM »
There are quite a few explosions in the preview, and lots of activity that would seem to be destructive to an actual historical site.  Seems very likely to me that this is some type of constructed site.

DavidJunior

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2010, 03:04:18 PM »
I'm leaning towards Joe/Heidi as well

1. The woman's hair in the picture is straight (Heidi's is, Allie's isn't)

2. AT LEAST half of the teams would love to see Joe gone (with 2 (maybe 3?) showing explicit intent to U-turn him)

no other team has a brunette with straight hair, and no other team (besides Carol/Brandy) has such animosity towards them

also, I read in a post somewhere that Jordeff get knocked down, but then recover (i.e. recovering from the speed bump and surviving this leg).

IMO, Joe/Heidi = toast

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2010, 03:08:21 PM »
I found some websites that might be worth checking out :)

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/bigredonefrg/BRO.html

http://astozarmuseum.chez.com/history.html

http://www.1stid.org/index.cfm

ETA: Boingo posted about this already!  :tup: There might be a couple of things at the other two websites I posted to check out!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 03:13:11 PM by Sailing »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2010, 03:10:11 PM »
I don't know if mine is better or worse?? :lol: But I'm thinking Steve and Allie too. :(  ...or maybe Joe and Heidi now. :lol:

If it was indeed Steve & Allie or Joe & Heidi turned out to be Blind U-Turn Victims.... BIG MISTAKEEEEE!!!!!

U-Turn Jet & Cord!!!!! Always target the strong team!!! Keep weak teams in the race!

I guess nobody learned a lesson from my mom and me about who to target for Blind U-Turn...  :lol:

But, I'm glad that a team made a bold move! There won't be a karma if a team made a strategic move unless an U-Turned team survived then.... uh-oh.

Good advice if feasible. I guess that Jet/Cord continue to stay out front much of the time, which would make it quite difficult for any other team to Blind U-Turn them.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2010, 03:27:04 PM »
There are quite a few explosions in the preview, and lots of activity that would seem to be destructive to an actual historical site.  Seems very likely to me that this is some type of constructed site.

Good advice, but you can't U-Turn a team if that team is ahead of you and is past the U-Turn marker before you arrive there.   So far the strong teams look like Joe and Cord, Steve and Allie and Joe and Heidi.

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2010, 03:45:17 PM »

I believe this is a WWI German Fokker Tri-Plane

http://science.howstuffworks.com/fokker-dr-i-triplane.htm

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2010, 04:13:56 PM »
Can we hope for a sample of "Snoopy and the Red Baron"?
-- theschnauzers

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2010, 04:14:30 PM »
Well, I haven't read any of this (finally just finished watching the episode and didn't even get to see the preview - uploader was lazy this time (:;)), but I did stumble upon this video:

Can anyone please post the post-episode preview, please? I hate not having normal TV access. :P
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2010, 04:15:21 PM »

Good advice, but you can't U-Turn a team if that team is ahead of you and is past the U-Turn marker before you arrive there.   So far the strong teams look like Joe and Cord, Steve and Allie and Joe and Heidi.

So if the detectives get there 1st..they are mad at J/H also for the line-holding maneuver, and prob know how much they are disliked and a strong team, so i think they could have U-Turned J/H, unless Dan &Bros got there 1st also and did it!! J/H seem to be most everyone's target.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2010, 04:19:42 PM »

Good advice, but you can't U-Turn a team if that team is ahead of you and is past the U-Turn marker before you arrive there.

Yes, you can. It has been done before, although it didn't work.

And having just looked at that picture of the U-turn board, I believe Joe & Heidi. Every editing moment they are given points to it, and the picture is the final nail in the coffin. I agree - Joe & Heidi are toast. Nobody has any real good reason to U-turn them, but it will inevitably happen anyway. :groan:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2010, 04:24:18 PM »
The team photos on the CBS website have always been used by the teams for the U-Turn and the Yield since they were introduced.

No, they haven't. I don't recall the website photos having ever been used for this purpose. Usually it's the photos they use to shoot the intro with that are used for U-turn photos (although there are sometimes exceptions). If you look back at one of the Yield/U-turn stand ups (with Phil explaining them) you can see all the team photos used.

Offline River

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2010, 04:34:57 PM »
The team photos on the CBS website have always been used by the teams for the U-Turn and the Yield since they were introduced.

No, they haven't. I don't recall the website photos having ever been used for this purpose. Usually it's the photos they use to shoot the intro with that are used for U-turn photos (although there are sometimes exceptions). If you look back at one of the Yield/U-turn stand ups (with Phil explaining them) you can see all the team photos used.
Hooky is correct. I recall different pics used.

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2010, 04:35:10 PM »
Can anyone please post the post-episode preview, please? I hate not having normal TV access.

Here you go!  :waves:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2010, 04:36:17 PM »
Can we hope for a sample of "Snoopy and the Red Baron"?

:lol:  looks like they are using a Fokker Triplane made to look like the one the Red Baron used.

Red Baron's plane

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2010, 04:50:08 PM »
Hint, look for armchairs in France! Doesn't look like Lille to me.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2010, 05:04:32 PM »
RACERS BECOME THEIR OWN WORST ENEMY ON A FRENCH BATTLEFIELD WHERE SHORT TEMPERS AND ARROGANCE COULD LEAD TO THEIR DEMISE, ON "THE AMAZING RACE," SUNDAY, MARCH 14

"I Think We're Fighting the Germans, Right?" (France) — A World War I reenactment — complete with air attacks, gunfire and explosions — tests the Racers' nerves, and one Team finds that their cocky attitude may cost them dearly when a Blind U-Turn comes into play, on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, March 14 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is host.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2010, 05:10:12 PM »
Joe's team is so screwed   :res:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2010, 05:12:48 PM »
 :lol: I'm seeing the inside of a bus... bus then self-drive?

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2010, 05:21:40 PM »
I thought maybe Louie was quoting from "Apocalypse Now," but the original line is "I love the smell of napalm in the morning."

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2010, 05:37:34 PM »
Here is the episode preview with a big :thankyou: for the help!!

Oh just saw yours Sailing... :ty3: SO much!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.