Author Topic: TAR16 - EP5: "I Think We're Fighting the Germans, Right?" (France)  (Read 94275 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR16 - EP5: "I Think We're Fighting the Germans, Right?" (France)
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2010, 05:40:24 PM »
Was coming to post the new video, will try to get some screenshots in a bit!! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline graytex

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2010, 05:41:32 PM »
Trying to find this Chateau:

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2010, 05:46:16 PM »
Was coming to post the new video, will try to get some screenshots in a bit!! :hearts:

Thanks Peach! Great job on the video! It is a lot easier to view then the one I posted!  :yess:

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2010, 05:53:29 PM »

Is this a video that is supposed to be viewed, cuz i can't and the one on the previous page is just spinning and nothing comes up...Can I find them anywhere else to view?

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2010, 06:00:32 PM »
^^That's just a screen cap.  Trying to identify the building.

The video Peach posted in Reply #74 worked OK for me.

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2010, 06:02:34 PM »
^^That's just a screen cap.  Trying to identify the building.

Oh...lmbo...I was trying to get it to play! You are teasing me!Ha

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2010, 06:19:21 PM »
These are really hard to get!! Bringing them as I can, there are zillions more! There are at least 10 hiding at the 10 sec mark, right with the word THE YEAR if anyone else can try too??

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline caper

• StartLine Finder Queen!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2010, 06:23:58 PM »

Could it be Chateau des Monthairons in Verdun: http://www.chateaudesmonthairons.fr/
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 06:42:43 PM by caper »

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2010, 06:39:07 PM »
 :lol:  here's one that only lasts for a millisecond....  :lol3:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2010, 06:47:53 PM »
Cool, looks like the chateau is near St. Mihiel and Verdun battlefied sites.  .. where US 1st Infantry fought  :tup:

Hostellerie du Château des  Monthairons

chateu web site

Vicinity: ... World War I sites at Verdun, museums, the Argonne forest, Cistercian L'Abbaye de Lachalade, the American cemetery at Romagne-sous-Montfaucon, the Benedictine library at Saint-Mihiel, the Basilica of Notre Dame d'Avioth, nature walks, outdoor sports,  and other attractions of the beautiful Lorraine region.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 07:11:24 PM by Boingo »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2010, 06:55:50 PM »

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2010, 07:01:22 PM »
I have no idea how you found that so fast caper, good job!!

Thanks Boingo, I couldn't get that one! :jumpy:

I tried to get the ones that would give us clues to start with...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline graytex

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2010, 07:18:17 PM »
Great job Caper!  I think you hit the nail on the head!

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2010, 07:29:57 PM »
Nice! That would probably also explain this:

The shop behind is the Bergère de France, which isn't found in Lilles. I couldn't get Street View for the Verdun shop, but it is one of the 13 in France, of which Street View can eliminate about 8.

The exact address is 11 bis, Rue Saint-Pierre 55100, Verdun.

Offline graytex

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2010, 07:43:04 PM »
Notice the blue route marker clue in the pack.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2010, 07:43:42 PM »
Ah, Verdun.

Now a train ride via Frankfurt and Saarsbrucken seems feasible  :tup:

Offline graytex

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2010, 08:17:53 PM »
I believe this could be the bridge that Jordan is running across and it's very close to a huge war cemetery.  But I can't quite pinpoint it on a map.  Maybe the picture will help someone identify the place?

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 08:21:38 PM by graytex »

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2010, 08:22:05 PM »
Nice! That would probably also explain this:

The shop behind is the Bergère de France, which isn't found in Lilles. I couldn't get Street View for the Verdun shop, but it is one of the 13 in France, of which Street View can eliminate about 8.

The exact address is 11 bis, Rue Saint-Pierre 55100, Verdun.

Here's a view down Rue Saint-Pierre (from Rue Saint-Paul) in Verdun.  Your eyes may be able to spot their location, somewhere on the left.   :lol:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2010, 08:22:49 PM »
Thanks for the previews, everyone! :wohoo:

Not feeling too happy about this episode...it looks like it will be an almost exact repeat of Leg 4 in TAR 14. :P

RACERS BECOME THEIR OWN WORST ENEMY ON A FRENCH BATTLEFIELD WHERE SHORT TEMPERS AND ARROGANCE COULD LEAD TO THEIR DEMISE, ON "THE AMAZING RACE," SUNDAY, MARCH 14

"I Think We're Fighting the Germans, Right?" (France) — A World War I reenactment — complete with air attacks, gunfire and explosions — tests the Racers' nerves, and one Team finds that their cocky attitude may cost them dearly when a Blind U-Turn comes into play, on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, March 14 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is host.

What cocky attitude? How is saving a place in line cocky? I can understand claiming to know the subways in LA as maybe being cocky, but what evil thing have they done? This is a severe case of editing creating a non-existent personality. :P

Sorry, the survival of Jeff & Jordan and now this foreboding preview have put me in a bad mood.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 08:26:36 PM by J-Squeeze »
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2010, 08:23:28 PM »
Just in case, here are three other locations that I couldn't eliminate on Street View or Panoramio; the streets of Verdun look too neat!

23, Boulevard de la Rochelle, 55000 Bar de Luc, Meuse, Lorraine
19, Rue de Paris 57100, Thionville, Moselle, Lorraine
7, Avenue Marius Cartier, 52100 St Dizier, Haute-Marne, Champagne-Ardenne

The shops in Metz, Colmar, St Julien les Villas, Troyes and Chalons-en-Champagne can be safely eliminated.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2010, 09:13:55 PM »
After much fussing with different rail schedules, I found one that gave me something useful. The main connection point for a rail trip from Hamburg to Verdun is Metz. However, the journey from Hamburg to Metz is 7.5 to 11.5 hours and the connection from Metz to Verdun takes an additional 9.5 hours to 16 3/4 hours, I conclude that rail is not feasible for this particular trip.

I believe that teams took a long-distance bus to maybe Metz, Nancy or Luxembourg, then connected to a local bus to go the short remaining distance.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2010, 09:23:09 PM »

Not feeling too happy about this episode...it looks like it will be an almost exact repeat of Leg 4 in TAR 14. :P

RACERS BECOME THEIR OWN WORST ENEMY ON A FRENCH BATTLEFIELD WHERE SHORT TEMPERS AND ARROGANCE COULD LEAD TO THEIR DEMISE, ON "THE AMAZING RACE," SUNDAY, MARCH 14

"I Think We're Fighting the Germans, Right?" (France) — A World War I reenactment — complete with air attacks, gunfire and explosions — tests the Racers' nerves, and one Team finds that their cocky attitude may cost them dearly when a Blind U-Turn comes into play, on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, March 14 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is host.

What cocky attitude? How is saving a place in line cocky? I can understand claiming to know the subways in LA as maybe being cocky, but what evil thing have they done? This is a severe case of editing creating a non-existent personality. :P

Sorry, the survival of Jeff & Jordan and now this foreboding preview have put me in a bad mood.

The Insider videos this season have given a reasonable amount of info regarding Joe's "cockiness", they are worth watching.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2010, 09:29:08 PM »

"I Think We're Fighting the Germans, Right?" (France) — A World War I reenactment — complete with air attacks, gunfire and explosions — tests the Racers' nerves, and one Team finds that their cocky attitude may cost them dearly when a Blind U-Turn comes into play, on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, March 14 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is host.

I agree with you about the description of, presumably, Joe & Heidi as "cocky" as coming out of left field.

The editors tried to do it with saving spots from episode 2 and the "I have a compass" from episode 3, but, other than that, they haven't shown any other substantial footage.

There's always a new insider video every week, where some racer keeps saying that Joe is this, that, and the other thing, but they never show us any footage of this behaviour.  

I don't get it.  Justin from TAR15 tweeted that he and some other racers didn't like Lance while on the race, but they at least showed footage of Lance's weird behaviour.  All I get regarding Joe is talk.

Even if Joe & Heidi survive this elimination, I'm guessing that the U-Turn sets them too far back to make up the difference in the next elimination.

On another note, are Daniel & Jordan the first racers to consistently wear backwards baseball caps on the race?

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2010, 09:36:37 PM »
Thanks, Apskip! I'm finding quick 1.5h trains between Metz and Verdun though throughout the day, instead of the 9.5-17h you found. Just for example, a departure from Hamburg at midnight this coming Wednesday morning will get one into Verdun by 2pm the same day...

It's true, though, that the caps make a bus seem likely...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 09:47:46 PM by Neobie »

Offline slpdx

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2010, 09:51:32 PM »
Wow, I come back from an unexpected (but very pleasurable) weekend in Mexico, watch the last night's episode, come to check out what's new and am completely blown away. I have been avid TAR fan since the beginning,  but just started looking sleuthing/spoiler sites this season (I tried to keep it "pure" as long as possible) and I can't believe all the stuff you come with, how quickly you do it, and how accurate you are.   ALL I CAN SAY IS YOU ALL AMAZE ME!!  Thank you for the time you put into it, you've made it fun so far!!

Now onto other things, poor Heidi and Joe, I have a bad, bad feeling for them this week.   Between all the hate from the other Racers, the emphasis on Joe's knee (foreshadowing anyone?  :duno:) and what looks like might actually turn out to be a physically demanding challenge....it might be the end of the line.