Author Topic: TAR Disaster Curse  (Read 318650 times)

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR Disaster Curse
« Reply #225 on: November 01, 2012, 03:58:20 AM »
Heart and prayers goes out to everyone affected in this disaster. Just a really dumb blonde question and am really interested as I'm a geography student..

Is it a trend for hurricanes to always occur in USA during the Nov-Dec period?

At sometime in the past, I read something that suggested it was more like mid June to Mid November. Hurricanes are possible before or after that, but it's much less likely. It is linked to the ocean temperatures that are highest in the summer and early fall, both from solar heating and because the Gulf Stream carries water north from the lower latitudes. Also, hurricanes affecting the USA are confined to the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea. The water off the west coast of the USA is carried down by currents from Alaska, so the water temperature is too cold for hurricanes. They have hurricanes off the west coast of Mexico though.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #226 on: November 01, 2012, 04:28:40 AM »
Joab......

The offical hurricane season, in the USA, is June1 to Nov 30. Peak occurance is end of Aug and the first of Sept. Katrina was an late Aug hurricane.

This year, we have had an usually warm fall. The Gulf of Mexico and Carribean are still pretty warm. This hurricane, Sandy, started in the Carribiean. Most of the time, most of the hurricanes you will hear about, start off the coast of West Africa and traverse the Atlantic Ocean, north of the equator. They have lots and lots of ocean miles to build up great amounts of energy.

Sandy ended up being a convergence of three different weather events. The combined effects made the "event" much more damaging than would normally occur with just a hurricane.

This might help you understand       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atlantic_hurricanes
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 04:43:18 AM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #227 on: November 01, 2012, 09:10:55 AM »
I've learnt about how hurricanes are formed and know the theories to it, but it's always interesting to know the trends that it has always happened in the USA.. and indeed it's always in the latter part of the year!

Thank you all for your replies and let's keep those affected in prayers till this ordeal is over! :(

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #228 on: November 01, 2012, 09:51:33 AM »
The hurricane that I personally remember the most is Hurricane Carla on Sept 11, 1961. It was a very large and powerful storm. Cat 4 when it hit land. But what was unique about Carla, it was the first hurricane to form after there was a weather satelite capable of taking pictures and transmitting the pictures back to ground stations. For the first time, people could see what was coming, days ahead of time and gave people the time to evacuate coastal areas. Approximate 1/2 million people got up and moved out of the way of Carla. There was a lot of property damage, but very small number of lives lost considering the size of the storm.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #229 on: November 02, 2012, 10:40:39 AM »
The R&D into detecting hurricanes has indeed benefited and saved many lives. I personally remembered Katrina, that was my time I remembered I only got to know about hurricanes in USA because it was mentioned in TAR 8.. and the Schroeder family was greatly affected and went to stay with the Rogers, I think.

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #230 on: November 07, 2012, 01:36:39 AM »
DHAKA: Around 100 people are missing after a boat carrying Rohingya refugees sank off Bangladesh as it headed to Malaysia early on Wednesday, coastguard officials said.

Bangladesh Border Guard commander Lieutenant Colonel Zahid Hasan said the vessel was carrying around 110 passengers when it went down off the southwestern Cox's Bazaar coastal district. "We have rescued 11 survivors with the help of local fishermen and a search and rescue operation is underway," Hasan told AFP.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/article-74515-100-missing-as-Bangladesh-boat-sinks

addie

« Reply #231 on: November 19, 2012, 03:05:14 PM »
Bangladesh fire yesterday.

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #232 on: November 21, 2012, 09:19:15 PM »
"lord of The Rings" volcano erupts in New Zealand (just in case if this country will be feature on the upcoming TAR 22): http://ph.news.yahoo.com/volcano-erupts-zealands-north-island-scientists-013815196.html

MY PRESSSSIOUSSSS!!!! :iok 

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #233 on: February 05, 2013, 08:40:37 PM »
Don't know for certain if the first few destinations for TAR 22 will be affected, but there's this:

Powerful quake strikes off Solomon Islands
By CNN Staff
updated 9:36 PM EST, Tue February 5, 2013

(CNN) -- An 8.0-magnitude earthquake struck off the Solomon Islands in the South Pacific early Wednesday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported, sparking a tsunami warning.

The center of the quake was located some 360 miles east-southeast of Honiara, the capital of the Solomon Islands, the USGS said. It was reported to be 3.6 miles deep.

A tsunami warning was issued for the Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Tuvalu, New Caledonia, Kosrae, Fiji, Kiribati, and Wallis and Futuna, according to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.

A tsunami watch was in effect for more places: the Marshall Islands, Howland and Baker, Pohnpei, Tokelau, Samoa, Kermadec Islands, New Zealand, American Samoa, Tonga, Australia, Niue, Cook Islands, Indonesia, Wake Island, Chuuk, Jarvis Island, Guam, Northern Marianas, Palmyra Island, Yap, Johnston Island, Minamitorishima and Pelau.

Brian Shiro, a geophysicist at the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, told CNN that instruments near the Solomon Islands indicated that a tsunami was in fact generated. It is 1 meter high, he said, describing it as "significant."

The event seems to be localized to the region, Shiro said, and authorities are still waiting to see if they want to expand the alert.

The quake was followed by several aftershocks in the region, the largest of which had a magnitude of 6.6, the USGS said.

There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.

-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #234 on: February 05, 2013, 09:09:06 PM »
Might be a Survivor one! Hope all is well....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #235 on: February 05, 2013, 11:00:20 PM »
There was a tsunami watch as well as a warning when I posted the article earlier, but both have now been cancelled.

The wider area of the watch was inclusive of areas we'd be concerned about, but the cancellation speaks for itself.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #236 on: February 11, 2013, 04:10:50 AM »
It's not TAR, but I thought I'd mention that Pekin Express (or at least some of the teams) traveled through Hattiesburg, Mississippi early last week and yesterday a fairly strong tornado moved through Hattiesburg and damaged quite a few buildings including part of the local university. Reports also mention dozens of injuries but I haven't heard of any deaths.

Pekin Express sent their teams through historic flooding in Australia last season (much to the annoyance of Australian officials), so they are developing quite a track record of disasters of their own.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #237 on: February 11, 2013, 11:32:28 PM »
It's not TAR, but I thought I'd mention that Pekin Express (or at least some of the teams) traveled through Hattiesburg, Mississippi early last week and yesterday a fairly strong tornado moved through Hattiesburg and damaged quite a few buildings including part of the local university. Reports also mention dozens of injuries but I haven't heard of any deaths.

Pekin Express sent their teams through historic flooding in Australia last season (much to the annoyance of Australian officials), so they are developing quite a track record of disasters of their own.

CNN is reporting that the tornado which hits Hattesburg, MS, was an EF4 (only one level below the worst) and that no one died in part because the storm hit on a weekend and because the university was closed for the Mardi Gras celebrations (Hattesburg is very close to New Orleans.)

But it is weird to read that one of the other editions is having a mothership-like disaster curse.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Kamineko

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #238 on: April 13, 2013, 04:02:46 AM »
Don't want to say that this is a curse. Bur recently, a commercial flight in Indonesia, Lion Air, just slipped on a runway in Ngurah Rai International Airport, Bali and fell to the sea. Thank God all of the passengers are save. :luvya:

Link of the news (in Bahasa Indonesia) : http://news.detik.com/read/2013/04/13/151406/2219460/10/ini-dia-pesawat-lion-air-yang-jatuh-di-laut-bali
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #239 on: April 13, 2013, 04:14:00 AM »
Poor Lion Air. :(

I'm glad all the passengers are safe.

*Doesn't insert endless ravings about Lion Air/Denpasar Intl/Boeing 737 here*  :lol:

addie

« Reply #240 on: April 13, 2013, 10:06:03 AM »
Airlinesguy is back I suppose

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #241 on: April 13, 2013, 05:19:48 PM »
For  the record, that incident involving Lion Air doesn't come within the definition of the TAR disaster curse. It took place outside of the period between filming and airing of this season's leg in Bali, and the incident wasn't a natural disaster.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #242 on: April 13, 2013, 06:36:02 PM »
Airlinesguy is back I suppose

Yep. ;D

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #243 on: April 13, 2013, 09:02:30 PM »
I heard Bali on the news and the first thing I said was "Ah! TAR was just there!"
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #244 on: November 01, 2013, 12:11:35 PM »
There has been an shooting incident with multiple victims inside Terminal 3 of LAX. (Isn't that the terminal TAR normally uses when the start is in LA?)

As I type this, there is very little known, but CNN-US is showing a number of first responders on the scene (as well as SWAT teams, firefighters and police) and the LAX terminals are being evacuated, and a ground stop has been placed on all flights in and out of LAX.

-- theschnauzers

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #245 on: November 01, 2013, 01:01:54 PM »
There has been an shooting incident with multiple victims inside Terminal 3 of LAX. (Isn't that the terminal TAR normally uses when the start is in LA?)

As I type this, there is very little known, but CNN-US is showing a number of first responders on the scene (as well as SWAT teams, firefighters and police) and the LAX terminals are being evacuated, and a ground stop has been placed on all flights in and out of LAX.

Why do people do this  :groan: I hope the families of the victims can stay as calm as they can in this traged and that everyone else at the terminal is safe.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #246 on: November 01, 2013, 01:14:33 PM »
UPDATE: It is still unclear what numbers may have been injured, but the shooter was wounded and taken into custody. That terminal is still being cleared, and ground traffic into and out of the LAX grounds is at a standstill. Only a very few flights are now leaving or arriving at LAX. The international terminal is terminal 2, and it is being used to hold people evacuated from terminal 3. Most injured were from the stampede of people getting away from the gate.
The LAX police and the LAPD will hold a press conference at 11:30 am PDT.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #247 on: November 01, 2013, 04:17:03 PM »
Hoping and praying that everyone stays safe!

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #248 on: November 01, 2013, 11:14:51 PM »
Shouldn't the thread title be changed to TAR Natural Disaster Curse?

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #249 on: November 01, 2013, 11:23:44 PM »
No because plane crashes count.