Author Topic: TAR Disaster Curse  (Read 318639 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR Disaster Curse
« Reply #175 on: July 13, 2011, 10:52:14 AM »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #176 on: July 17, 2011, 09:30:13 AM »
another volcano in Indonesia erupted: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14176465

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #177 on: July 17, 2011, 12:18:34 PM »
The "Ring of Fire" has been extremely active this past year. If you don't know what that refers to, google it.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Flamant

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lumilia <3
« Reply #178 on: July 17, 2011, 04:08:38 PM »
The "Ring of Fire" has been extremely active this past year.

Yeah... there were earthquakes and volcanoe irruptions almost everywhere... New Zealand, Indonesia, Japan, Alaska, Chili. The only place there have been nothing (yet) is on the west coast of North America. If I was living there, I would move out quick.  :escape

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #179 on: July 20, 2011, 07:55:02 AM »
NO SPOILERS IN NON-SPOILER THREADS PLEASE.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 04:24:00 PM by georgiapeach »

Offline coolio

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #180 on: July 20, 2011, 03:18:33 PM »

Hey topaz! NO SPOILERS!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 04:24:17 PM by georgiapeach »

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #181 on: July 22, 2011, 06:21:20 PM »

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #182 on: July 24, 2011, 03:57:00 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14262276

Zheijiang Province was visited in TAR China Rush.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #183 on: July 27, 2011, 04:35:46 AM »

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #184 on: July 27, 2011, 05:14:45 AM »
I think there is a need to append the word "TAR Disaster Awareness" in the title to perfectly fit everything in this thread. :tup:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 05:23:45 AM by Cocoa »
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #185 on: August 10, 2011, 06:52:01 AM »
Riots in London - TAR 17

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #186 on: August 10, 2011, 07:34:53 AM »
Riots in London - TAR 17

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2087701,00.html

The morning after riots gripped its main shopping thoroughfare, parts of Ealing, northwest London, looked less like a middle-class suburb and more like a war zone. On the night of Aug. 8, a group of hooded youths ran up the street throwing trash bins while others stomped on the top of police patrol cars. Still others shattered through glass phone booths and set cars on fire, not far from the town's picturesque rows of Victorian houses. Simon Kirby, who runs Flower Haven, a small florist, says his brother phoned him at 6:30 a.m. to let him know that his shop's windows had been smashed and his floral displays ransacked. The violence sickens him, but he understands why disaffected youth — whom he thinks traveled to Ealing from elsewhere — would lash out. "If they had something to do, if they had money and jobs, they wouldn't do this," he says. "They see footballers who all have lots of money but aren't very bright, and they want to know why they don't have any."
In the three days that followed the initial riots in Tottenham, disgruntled youth across the country have shown they're ready for a riot — and whatever status and material objects their disobedience may confer on them. By 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday, mobs were disturbing the peace for the fourth consecutive evening. In Manchester, hundreds of youth — some clad in balaclavas, others in ski masks — fought running battles with police. In Salford, a nearby suburb, separate groups of hooligans looted a liquor shop and set a clothing store on fire. In Nottingham, a group of at least 30 men firebombed a police station. And in Birmingham, a hit-and-run driver killed three men who had taken to the streets to protect local shops. That unrest followed copycat lootings and violence that had already taken place in other major hubs including Bristol and Liverpool. Nationwide, police have now made more than 1,000 arrests.
(See photos of the riots in England.)
Paul Bagguley, a sociologist at the University of Leeds, believes rioting will continue to spread to other cities unless police step up their intervention. The brigands hurling bricks through windows aren't doing so out of solidarity with the people of Tottenham. "They are making a rational calculation that they can go out and do this," he says. "They see on television and the Internet people looting shops, going in and walking out with new mobile phones and flat-screen TVs. And no one is stopping them." That might explain the images of one teenager calmly texting someone on her phone as she stands among looters in a computer store in Croydon or of the looters in Brixton who stood in line to try on a pair of stolen sneakers.
Bulking up the police presence — 16,000 officers policed the streets last night, compared with 6,000 the night before — did much to turn off would-be vandals. London saw relative calm for the first time since Aug. 6, though there were a few minor clashes as community vigilantes took security into their own hands. The decision to release images of rioters, culled from CCTV footage, on the London police's Flickr page and via the BBC on Tuesday afternoon has also sent a strong message that authorities — and the wider public — want to see justice served. The police's Flickr page received around 3 million hits within five hours of going live.
(Read "The Great Riot of London: The Stakes for David Cameron.")
But arrests resulting from those photos may not come for months, if at all. And they will do little to resolve the underlying issues that are now boiling over. Racial tensions have fomented much of the anger that's being released, and that informs the deteriorating relationship between officers and the communities they police. In the past five years, the number of black and South Asian people stopped and searched by the police in the country has nearly doubled to 310,000. "Most of the time the police don't find anything," Bagguley says. "I think what we're seeing is partly a consequence of those tactics." That many of the looters come from high-crime areas that are heavily policed strains the relationship even more. The riots in Hackney on the afternoon of Aug. 8 reportedly kicked off after one of these searches.
(See more about the events in Ealing.)
Social scientists say it's too simplistic to make a direct connection between Britain's austerity cuts and the mob violence. But the effects of those cuts may influence idle young people. The issue, sociologists say, is not that youth are unemployed. It's that they're unoccupied — and therefore more likely to loiter on the streets and in shopping centers, and to get wrapped up in the madness of rebellion. Tottenham, for instance, is in the borough of Haringey, where the local council had to shut 8 of its 13 youth centers at the beginning of July. The centers had offered courses on everything from beauty treatments to DJing, and services ranging from sexual-health tests to exam revision. "A lot of those radicalized youth who were on the street Saturday night would have been going to those youth centers," says Clifford Scott, a senior lecturer in social psychology at the University of Liverpool. "They no longer had anywhere else to go."
As the sun set on Tuesday evening and the country braced for a fourth night of riots, the BBC rolled footage of still more disturbances, this time in Wolverhampton, a town northwest of Birmingham. Groups of youth dressed in black hoodies ran down the street and set to attacking shops. Back in Ealing, local MP Virendra Sharma walked through the town after nightfall to reassure residents that peace had returned to the community. Businesses shut at 3 p.m. Many boarded up their windows anyway.
— With reporting by Sonia Van Gilder Cooke / London and Thomas K. Grose / Ealing

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2087701,00.html#ixzz1Ud39K3Hm

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #187 on: August 26, 2011, 11:55:44 PM »
Typhoon Nanmadol (Mina) is now heading toward to Taiwan: http://ph.news.yahoo.com/taiwan-issues-sea-warning-typhoon-nanmadol-022607156.html

Offline GabyM

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #188 on: August 27, 2011, 12:14:35 AM »
Riots in London - TAR 17
Didn't they also visit London on TAR 7??

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #189 on: August 27, 2011, 12:27:51 PM »
Riots in London - TAR 17
Didn't they also visit London on TAR 7??

Yeah, they did. :)
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #190 on: August 28, 2011, 07:53:59 AM »
Hurricane Irene..

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #191 on: September 25, 2011, 08:50:50 AM »
another terror attack in Indonesia: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-15051334

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #192 on: October 10, 2011, 05:44:56 AM »

Offline Flamant

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lumilia <3
« Reply #193 on: October 15, 2011, 10:43:33 AM »
Wow. In each seasons now, there's a disaster/conflict in a country visited almost at the same time by the Race.  :groan:
In TAR17, they visited South Korea when there was tension between them and North Korea.
In TAR 18, they were at the Japan pitstop when the earthquake/tsunami happenned.
Now, in TAR19, they are coming to Thailand & Bangkok, where theres one of the biggest flood in the countrys history, with it's capital being threatened by this too.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #194 on: October 18, 2011, 12:14:58 AM »
Wow. In each seasons now, there's a disaster/conflict in a country visited almost at the same time by the Race.  :groan:
In TAR17, they visited South Korea when there was tension between them and North Korea.
In TAR 18, they were at the Japan pitstop when the earthquake/tsunami happenned.
Now, in TAR19, they are coming to Thailand & Bangkok, where theres one of the biggest flood in the countrys history, with it's capital being threatened by this too.

You forgot TAR 1 with September 11, TAR6 with the Indian Ocean Tsunami, and TAR 8 with Hurricane Katrina (and poor Schroeder family)...

But it is tragic...

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #195 on: October 18, 2011, 12:23:07 AM »
I think we're losing sight of what the 'Disaster Curse' is all about. Its not just a list of bad things that have happened in the world.

It is referring to the coincidental timings of major disasters that have struck areas that The Amazing Race had just visited but had yet to air, which have occurred more times than what would be expected.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #196 on: October 18, 2011, 10:32:39 AM »
I think so too, Dom. :lol:
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #197 on: October 19, 2011, 02:48:43 PM »
I do agree that the Bangkok flooding qualifies for the curse, quite a bit of the other stuff in this thread lately does not.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #198 on: October 19, 2011, 02:55:04 PM »
I know exactly what the "curse" is defined as...but ALL of our locations are special to me, and if they are suffering even years later, I always like to know so I can hold the people in my thoughts. So...for me anyway, since I don't believe in "curses" anyhow, this is just a way to stay in touch with people and places that have touched my heart.

If it really bothers anyone, I can open a different thread, this just seems like a good place for location news.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #199 on: October 20, 2011, 05:51:42 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-15381227

It looks as though the Bangkok floods are getting worse. I'd fully expect a pre-show acknowledgement of the crisis on Sunday's airing of TAR.