Author Topic: TAR Disaster Curse  (Read 318637 times)

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Re: TAR Disaster Curse
« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2011, 07:10:29 PM »
Minamisanriku

Thats the town that has half its residents missing.....about 9500 unaccounted for. The shape of the bay funnels the water. It probably had a higher tsunami than places with straight coasts.

Japan reported about 1000 confirmed dead. I suspect the amount to be more.. i think it will reach up to even 2000 to 3000 deaths. :'(

It breaks my heart, to see the tsunami coming in and those who were left to fend for their lives. Wasn't there supposed to be tsunami warning system...?

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2011, 07:23:35 PM »
What has impressed me, amidst all the death, carnage and destruction, is the stability of the areas reclaimed from the sea. The nuclear facility, where they are having so much trouble, is built on land reclaimed from the sea. All around Tokyo Bay are multiple areas reclaimed from the sea. The oil facility that was/is on fire is on reclaimed land. The airport in Osaka is a man-made island.

One phenomenom that normally happens in earthqukes is a process called soil liquifaction. When the ground starts shaking, water usually enters land reclaimed from the sea and leads to collapse of the land and the buildings on it. I have not seen any evidence of this happening in Japan. The japanese seem to have really perfected the way to reclaime land from the sea and not have it sink during an earthquake.

I heard on the news here in US, that most places had about a 40 minute warning about the tsunami.
Matthew 7:15

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2011, 07:30:23 PM »
The height of the waves was 10 meters -- about 5 stories high, there wouldn't be much left standing, and truthfully I am not surprised of the number missing.

It's hard to tell yet whether the loss of life may reach the levels of the Great Tsunami of 2004, and I pray that it does not, given the effects of a close-in epicenter (closer to the shoreline than the Sumatra earthquake) and the fact that relatively few coastal residents would have had time to flee far enough inland or high enough to avoid the wave crests.

The one planning weakness I'm sensing in all of the coverage is a better understanding of the effects of a combined great earthquake and tsunami, including the impact on nuclear energy facilities. You can be sure that is going to get a lot of attention worldwide, and that future facilities are going to need better fail safe mechanisms to account for that risk.

I lived less than 2 hours from Three Mile Island when that melt-down occurred (in the DC suburbs, and I had my car packed and ready to flee southward until the danger passed at that time.

I'm concerned that there still could be aftershocks in the 8.0 range that could trigger another tsunami, even though the likelihood of another 8.9 quake is highly remote.

Edited to respond to Joab:

There is a tsunami warning system and it worked as it was supposed to.  The issue here is that there wasn't a sufficient response system in place, especially when the epicenter was so close to shore, and the amount of time was so brief (10-15 minutes)  That wavefront is moving at speeds of 400 to 500 mph and has a lot of energy connected to it. While the time wasn't sufficient for northeastern Japan, it minimized the loss of life elsewhere in the Pacific Rim (none in Hawaii, one fool in California who should have known better, and I haven't read of any others anywhere else.)

Within a few more years, there will be a tsunami warning system in place in the Atlantic Ocean basin, including the Caribbean Sea, in addition to the Indian and Pacific basins.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2011, 07:35:52 PM »
Minamisanriku

Thats the town that has half its residents missing.....about 9500 unaccounted for. The shape of the bay funnels the water. It probably had a higher tsunami than places with straight coasts.

Japan reported about 1000 confirmed dead. I suspect the amount to be more.. i think it will reach up to even 2000 to 3000 deaths. :'(

It breaks my heart, to see the tsunami coming in and those who were left to fend for their lives. Wasn't there supposed to be tsunami warning system...?

Yes, there was.  But an earthquake that was apparently so close to shore would probably create a tsunami that moved so quickly that there wasn't time for the Japanese to head for the hills, especially in the area nearest the earthquake.  Hawaii and the West Coast of the U.S. had more time.

Belle Book

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2011, 11:04:15 PM »
One of the good stories I read. The US Air Force Base at Yukota in the NW surburbs of Tokyo landed 11 diverted commerical jets. The base air crews refuled the jets and fed the passengers with flight meals. They opened the base community center and airmen and their familes played host. 9 of the jets flew to Narita, but two stayed there for the night. They were housed in the community center and were allowed to off load their baggage to clean up. The base jazz band played music for them all. The airmen even unloaded the passengers live animals and kept them indoors on the cold night. All passengers, pets and baggage was reloaded the next morning and the planes also flew to Narita.

The airbase is becoming the focal point for US assistance. The army and air force are staging helicopters out of there that are flying in relief supplies to areas that cannot be reached by road assistance yet.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2011, 11:42:37 PM »
The height of the waves was 10 meters -- about 5 stories high, there wouldn't be much left standing, and truthfully I am not surprised of the number missing.

It's hard to tell yet whether the loss of life may reach the levels of the Great Tsunami of 2004, and I pray that it does not, given the effects of a close-in epicenter (closer to the shoreline than the Sumatra earthquake) and the fact that relatively few coastal residents would have had time to flee far enough inland or high enough to avoid the wave crests.

The one planning weakness I'm sensing in all of the coverage is a better understanding of the effects of a combined great earthquake and tsunami, including the impact on nuclear energy facilities. You can be sure that is going to get a lot of attention worldwide, and that future facilities are going to need better fail safe mechanisms to account for that risk.

I lived less than 2 hours from Three Mile Island when that melt-down occurred (in the DC suburbs, and I had my car packed and ready to flee southward until the danger passed at that time.

I'm concerned that there still could be aftershocks in the 8.0 range that could trigger another tsunami, even though the likelihood of another 8.9 quake is highly remote.

Edited to respond to Joab:

There is a tsunami warning system and it worked as it was supposed to.  The issue here is that there wasn't a sufficient response system in place, especially when the epicenter was so close to shore, and the amount of time was so brief (10-15 minutes)  That wavefront is moving at speeds of 400 to 500 mph and has a lot of energy connected to it. While the time wasn't sufficient for northeastern Japan, it minimized the loss of life elsewhere in the Pacific Rim (none in Hawaii, one fool in California who should have known better, and I haven't read of any others anywhere else.)

Within a few more years, there will be a tsunami warning system in place in the Atlantic Ocean basin, including the Caribbean Sea, in addition to the Indian and Pacific basins.

Thanks! I knew there was a tsunami warning system, but it didn't occur to me that the tsunami happened so quickly within 10 to 15 minutes. As a geog student, i learnt that there should be at least 1 to 2 hours after an earthquake for response time for tsunami... :'(

Offline static_edrei

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2011, 10:18:07 AM »
God forbid.. but there are trends right here.. Australia hit by a hurricane earlier, China and Japan got the earthquake.. hopefully nothing happens in India and the following visited countries soon..

Remember
Sri Lanka TAR 6
Chile TAR 16?

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2011, 10:45:31 AM »
More than 10,000 feared dead in Japan quake: police
The death toll from Japan's devastating earthquake and tsunami is likely to exceed 10,000 in Miyagi prefecture alone, a regional police chief told reporters Sunday.

Let's continue to pray... :'(

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #133 on: March 15, 2011, 10:09:16 PM »
It's going from bad to worse to even worse for Japan. The cooling of Reactor 1 at Fukushima has failed, and they are now bracing for the potential of a full meltdown.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/special-reports/japan-earthquake-new-explosion-rocks-fukushima-nuclear-power-plant/story-fn7zkbgs-1226021415043

Offline Parovic

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2011, 10:02:59 AM »
God bless Japan.I will always remember the time that  TAR15 contestants try sushi there

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2011, 12:13:21 PM »
God bless Japan.I will always remember the time that  TAR15 contestants try sushi there

EAT.YOUR.WASABIII.

:lol3:  

I loved it too, though that leg was REALLY bad structured, IMO.

RB->"Lame task"->PS.

On topic: I feel really bad beacuse of what's come to Japan...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:55:19 AM by ·David »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2011, 12:56:35 PM »
Let's keep to the topic while Japan's still struggling with all the snowfall to hamper the already difficult rescue efforts. :tup:

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2011, 02:18:38 PM »
David's really off-topic. :lol:

Now back to topic...

Japan is at its lowest. :( Now that the government accepted the fact that the Fukushima Power Plant may cause danger, this make me sadder. :(
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #138 on: March 31, 2011, 08:37:12 PM »
APPARENTLY I GOT APRIL FOOLED. (:;)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 08:42:56 PM by Joab »

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #139 on: March 31, 2011, 08:41:48 PM »
Japan got hit by another 9.2 magnitude earthqauke just this morning????? (5 to 6 hours ago) :'(
Not that big, you scared me for a sec.

From Google:
Time       Magnitude       Location
6 hours ago       5.2       Off the east coast of Honshu, Japan       Map
18 hours ago       6.2       Near the east coast of Honshu, Japan       Map
Yesterday       6.0       Off the east coast of Honshu, Japan       Map

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #140 on: March 31, 2011, 08:42:52 PM »
There was a 6.5 off the coast on Monday as well...but nothing that big as Snooky says. Thank goodness!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #141 on: March 31, 2011, 08:43:31 PM »

:meow: :meow: :meow: :meow: :meow: :meow: :meow: :meow:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #142 on: March 31, 2011, 08:44:57 PM »

But that's an awful joke...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #143 on: March 31, 2011, 08:49:01 PM »

But that's an awful joke...

PRECISELY. I just told him off and mentioned that he might get bad karma! (:;)

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2011, 09:20:06 PM »
I have heard some new data on the March 11th Japanese earthquake. The deep ocean tsunami......the one that crossed the Pacific basin was approx 3.5 feet high. Normally these waves are measured in inches.

Subsidence along the NE Japanese coast has been measured from 1m to 2 m after the quake and before the tsunami arrived. The height of the tsunami wave when it hits land is determined by several factors.......the slope of the underwater shoreline, the geography/topography of the land it hits and a few more. At one place north of Sendai.....the wave was measured at 14.9 m, and possibily 17m in another place. This was in a place where the water got funneled up into a bay that was surrounded by mountains....the only place for the water to go is up. It was at Minamisanriku.........this is the town with approx 10,000 missing residents.

If you are interested and want to see a fantastic program that explains so much about this particular event, then go to http://www.pbs.org The program will be listed under the NOVA headline/section and titled as Japanese Killer Quake.

I am not sure if there was some kind of conference going on in Japan at the time, but there sure seemed to be an inordinate amount of foreign earthquake/tsunami experts, on the ground in Japan, when the earthquake and tsunami occured.

Here is the link to the online episode:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/earth/japan-killer-quake.html
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 10:47:11 PM by DrRox »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #145 on: April 02, 2011, 07:14:43 AM »
Google Earth has updated the NE coast of Japan.....it is really staggering.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #146 on: April 03, 2011, 04:52:18 PM »
JAKARTA (Reuters) – Indonesia's earthquake agency on Monday issued a tsunami warning after a 7.1 magnitude quake struck at about 300 kilometers (186 miles) off Cilacap on the south coast of Java island.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110403/wl_nm/us_indonesia_earthquake
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Prama

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Later!
« Reply #147 on: April 03, 2011, 09:07:46 PM »
Indonesia Cancels Tsunami Warning After Quake

Indonesian seismologists on Monday canceled a tsunami alert they had issued after an earthquake in the Indian Ocean south of Java, which they said had a magnitude of 7.1.

Indonesia's Meteorology and Geophysics Agency sent an SMS on its public alert system, saying that a warning it had issued after the tremor, which it put at 10 km deep, "has ended".

The US Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre had said that there was no risk of a widespread destructive wave, but that there was a "very small possibility of a local tsunami".

Source: http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/indonesia-cancels-tsunami-warning-after-quake/433346

We're fine here  :waves:  We have not received any reports of damage or casualties so far :)  :tup:
Prama's Member Game Profile
Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #148 on: April 03, 2011, 09:13:25 PM »
Thanks prama!! Glad you are okay!!

Y'all keep your fingers crossed for me too...apparently we are in the path of the severe storms sweeping across the US  tomorrow. 60% chance of tornados!!

If you need me, I'll be under the bed....
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #149 on: April 03, 2011, 11:11:49 PM »
Thanks  prama......glad all is okay over there!!!

Peach....just remember to duck.......it is supposed to start here soon. We are right on the edge. The prediction is all the action will be east of me........but if it gets rocking and rollin.......I will "try" to PM you and let you know......lol

The triple point collision (dry line, low pressure center and cold front) are supposed to hit here from midnight to sunup.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 11:16:10 PM by DrRox »