Author Topic: TAR Disaster Curse  (Read 318638 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Re: TAR Disaster Curse
« Reply #276 on: January 04, 2015, 08:37:59 AM »
While the Air Asia disaster is tragic -- I don't understand why air traffic control denied the pilot's request to ascend above the thunderstorms on the flight path -- it technically does not come within the definition of the TAR disaster curse because it didn't happen in the time period between the filming and U.S. broadcast of the TAR 25 Singapore leg.

It is insane that the two airlines involved in the three air disasters of 2014are both headquartered in Mayalsia but so far, the issue of the weather and the ATC handling of the pilot's altitude request seem to be the main cause for concern and that may not be viewed as an airline safety problem. From what I know of the U.S. federal aviation regulations, a request of that kind from a pilot is to be granted unless there's something highly unusual that requires a denial. And I've not heard a thing along those lines.

Indonesia AirAsia has its headquarters in Tangerang, Indonesia, not Malaysia.

I think he's trying to mean that AirAsia belongs to Malaysia. And I think there were other plane crashes this year, including TransAsia in Taiwan plus an African airline... I think it's Ethiopian Airlines. These were the "major" commercial airlines crashes with many fatalities I think.

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #277 on: January 04, 2015, 08:45:46 AM »
While the Air Asia disaster is tragic -- I don't understand why air traffic control denied the pilot's request to ascend above the thunderstorms on the flight path -- it technically does not come within the definition of the TAR disaster curse because it didn't happen in the time period between the filming and U.S. broadcast of the TAR 25 Singapore leg.

It is insane that the two airlines involved in the three air disasters of 2014are both headquartered in Mayalsia but so far, the issue of the weather and the ATC handling of the pilot's altitude request seem to be the main cause for concern and that may not be viewed as an airline safety problem. From what I know of the U.S. federal aviation regulations, a request of that kind from a pilot is to be granted unless there's something highly unusual that requires a denial. And I've not heard a thing along those lines.

I think he's trying to mean that AirAsia belongs to Malaysia. And I think there were other plane crashes this year, including TransAsia in Taiwan plus an African airline... I think it's Ethiopian Airlines. These were the "major" commercial airlines crashes with many fatalities I think.

Indonesia AirAsia is not majority owned by AirAsia though. Also funfacts in terms of flights per fatal accident 2014 was the safest year ever. Also the African airline is Air Algerie.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #278 on: January 09, 2015, 06:46:23 PM »
Terrorist attacks in Paris, France. Sad.  :'(

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #279 on: January 09, 2015, 10:22:11 PM »

Indonesia AirAsia is not majority owned by AirAsia though. Also funfacts in terms of flights per fatal accident 2014 was the safest year ever. Also the African airline is Air Algerie.

Yea, but the idea is that, AirAsia is still headquartered in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and it is the parent company of Indonesia AirAsia..? #ImDoneHere lol

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #280 on: January 09, 2015, 11:44:42 PM »

Yea, but the idea is that, AirAsia is still headquartered in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and it is the parent company of Indonesia AirAsia..? #ImDoneHere lol

They're affiliates, not owned by AirAsia.
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #281 on: January 10, 2015, 05:59:04 AM »

They're affiliates, not owned by AirAsia.

^^ (AirAsia do have a minority stake but it is majority owned by PT Fersindo Nusaperkasa (probably butchered that)), and has its HQ in Tangerang, Indonesia.

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #282 on: March 25, 2015, 07:07:40 AM »
since Germany is now feature on TAR 26, here's the latest disaster curse: https://ph.news.yahoo.com/latest-germanwings-says-plane-went-142004545.html

Online ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #283 on: March 25, 2015, 09:30:22 AM »
since Germany is now feature on TAR 26, here's the latest disaster curse: https://ph.news.yahoo.com/latest-germanwings-says-plane-went-142004545.html

are you crazy plane crash was in france
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 03:16:49 PM by ZBC Company »

Offline TerraformingYou

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #284 on: March 25, 2015, 09:41:02 AM »

are you stupid plane crash was in france

Well technically the destination was Dusseldorf in Germany..

Offline naejae91

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #285 on: March 25, 2015, 10:02:57 AM »

Oh no. Hope all of them survive. Btw France was also feature in TAR26 IIRC?
TAR25/TAR29: Modern classic season.

Offline Hysha

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • TAR - Survivor - BB - Pekín Express <3
« Reply #286 on: March 25, 2015, 11:46:34 AM »

Oh no. Hope all of them survive. Btw France was also feature in TAR26 IIRC?

Sadly, no one survived.
#TeamWentworth
Kelley/Ciera/Abi/Kass goddesses

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #287 on: March 26, 2015, 09:56:04 PM »
 :ascared  Took a trip in the RFF time machine through the TAR archives to pull up this "coincidence".

GMan's Germanwings spoiler

Seems some TAR 7 Episode 11 racers flew on Germanwings.   :ascared   Bit of a stretch, but yet another disaster waiting to happen, 10 years later. OK, maybe not, but still scary.   :o

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:06:36 PM by Boingo »

Offline Area51

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #288 on: March 27, 2015, 08:49:09 AM »
Sorry but people can find "events all over the place to fit their theories.  For example, there is no "Bermuda Triangle " that eats planes and ships.  it has been proven that there are no more incidents in that area than in any other that has equivalent traffic.  TAR has a huge amount of travel in every show so there are going to be things happen in the same area they have been what, ten years ago?  Come on.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #289 on: March 27, 2015, 09:24:06 AM »
I do not believe in a TAR Disaster Curse...but tracking coincidences is fun.

Meanwhile, my heart goes out to the friends and families of those on the flight lost...so very very sad.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #290 on: March 31, 2015, 11:45:10 PM »
The whole thing with Germanwings is sad, and concerning, and maybe some things in commercial passnger aviation will finally be changed.

I'm not sure that this air disaster technically counts, because it did happen in France, and not Germany. But at least one change has already happened, with Europe and other areas adopting the previously adopted rule in the US and Canada requiring two crew members to be in the cockpit at all times.
Hopefully, they can come up with a better system than self-reporting of psychological health issues, since once hired, most airlines never check their pilots on that score ever again.
And it's about time for GPS real-time tracking, and real-time video feed from the cockpit to the ground air traffic control.
And perhaps an "escape mechanism" to allow pilots and or crews to unlock the cabin door in an emergency (perhaps like the three key military system for nuclear codes) that are unique and independent. There's a reason for a locked cabin in terms of hijackings that go back to the 1960s, but there also needs to be a way to get into the locked cabin in an emergency, such as this flight, the recent Silk Airways disaster, and the United Flight 92 on 9/11.

It is very odd to have this many major airline disasters (five) in just over a year. I don't think we've had this many in such a short period since 9/11.
-- theschnauzers

Online ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #291 on: April 01, 2015, 10:24:44 AM »
The whole thing with Germanwings is sad, and concerning, and maybe some things in commercial passnger aviation will finally be changed.

I'm not sure that this air disaster technically counts, because it did happen in France, and not Germany. But at least one change has already happened, with Europe and other areas adopting the previously adopted rule in the US and Canada requiring two crew members to be in the cockpit at all times.
Hopefully, they can come up with a better system than self-reporting of psychological health issues, since once hired, most airlines never check their pilots on that score ever again.
And it's about time for GPS real-time tracking, and real-time video feed from the cockpit to the ground air traffic control.
And perhaps an "escape mechanism" to allow pilots and or crews to unlock the cabin door in an emergency (perhaps like the three key military system for nuclear codes) that are unique and independent. There's a reason for a locked cabin in terms of hijackings that go back to the 1960s, but there also needs to be a way to get into the locked cabin in an emergency, such as this flight, the recent Silk Airways disaster, and the United Flight 92 on 9/11.

It is very odd to have this many major airline disasters (five) in just over a year. I don't think we've had this many in such a short period since 9/11.

i beive it was suicide belive it was airline thought 

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #292 on: April 19, 2015, 01:15:29 PM »
A ship carrying African immigrants heading for Europe sank just off the coast of Namibia.  It's believed that over 700 people lost their lives.  :(

This curse is pretty crazy!
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #293 on: April 19, 2015, 03:22:34 PM »
Y'all are REALLY reaching.   :browsie:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #294 on: April 19, 2015, 04:20:37 PM »
Y'all are REALLY reaching.   :browsie:

Yea, your probably right, but I just thought it was a massive coincidence that it happened the day after the Namibia Leg aired.  :iok

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #295 on: April 19, 2015, 05:01:46 PM »
Sorry, correct me if I'm wrong; but haven't this happened near Sicily? I mean the number of victims is similar to the disaster in the Mediterranean Sea near to Lampedusa this early morning.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #296 on: April 19, 2015, 06:51:36 PM »
Sorry, correct me if I'm wrong; but haven't this happened near Sicily? I mean the number of victims is similar to the disaster in the Mediterranean Sea near to Lampedusa this early morning.
Yeah I don't think it was off Namibia.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #297 on: April 19, 2015, 07:02:39 PM »
Exactly.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #298 on: April 20, 2015, 01:04:05 PM »
Yeah I don't think it was off Namibia.

Wow, that really is my bad.  :groan:
Could've sworn I heard them say Namibia in the news?  ???   Sorry guys.  :iok

Offline Ticasmom

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #299 on: April 25, 2015, 07:10:43 PM »
Regarding Chile's volcano eruption:  TAR 16 did go to Puerto Varas where the Calbuco volcano is erupting.  All that lush green countryside is now covered by volcanic ash as much as 3 feet deep.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 04:35:44 PM by Ticasmom »
"Be yourself, everybody else is already taken."  Oscar Wilde