Author Topic: TAR Disaster Curse  (Read 318655 times)

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
Re: TAR Disaster Curse
« Reply #250 on: March 08, 2014, 01:49:54 AM »
Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 disappeared off the coast of Vietnam could count because it departed from Kuala Lumpur?

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #251 on: March 08, 2014, 03:04:27 AM »
I don't get it. Why do we have to link everything to TAR Disaster Curse?

This is way too far-fetch. Just because a plane departs from KLIA and assuming that it really crashed (not confirmed), doesn't mean that it has any relation to being a "TAR Curse". :res:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #252 on: March 08, 2014, 03:14:15 AM »
PS: Don't mean to be rude Airlines. It's just, the whole incident hasn't even been confirmed as a crash (likely one), and it's just depressing when people do immediately jump into saying that it is a disaster already.. :(

Online redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #253 on: March 08, 2014, 03:18:45 AM »
I don't get it. Why do we have to link everything to TAR Disaster Curse?

This is way too far-fetch. Just because a plane departs from KLIA and assuming that it really crashed (not confirmed), doesn't mean that it has any relation to being a "TAR Curse". :res:

http://www.airlinereporter.com/2014/03/breaking-malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-missing/
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 07:03:44 PM by redskevin88 »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #254 on: March 08, 2014, 01:48:31 PM »
This one is marginal as best as the disaster didn't occur in K.L., and there's now a question about two of the passengers who apparently were traveling on stolen passports (the persons whose passports were used are alive and well elsewhere).

Personally, I don't think this one is going to count because of that factor; there appears to be a potentially sinister cause afoot.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #255 on: April 01, 2014, 07:02:07 PM »
I just heard that there was an 8.0 earthquake 83 km northwest of Iquique, Chile 15 minutes ago as I type this. That's got to have created damage and injuries/deaths. My heart goes out to the people of Northern Chile and Southern Peru.

Update: The earthquake (which was centered offshore) has been revised upward to 8.2. There has a been a tsunami of about 5.5 feet (1.7 m) along the Chilean coast.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 07:55:53 PM by Plaidmoon »

Offline themikko95

• RFF Full Member
  • Kym/Alli for the win!
« Reply #256 on: April 01, 2014, 07:51:26 PM »
 :'(
Dustin/Kandice, Jaime/Cara and Pam/Winnie = goddesses!

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #257 on: April 01, 2014, 08:21:44 PM »
I hope Vitoko is okay. :(

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #258 on: April 01, 2014, 09:52:53 PM »
I'm ok. I wasn't with my family at the moment but we are all together now. There is a fire going on. Supermarkets were attacked at the moment. The entiee coast line was evacuated in case of tsunami but i believe a wave hit already. We are all a bit shaken but we'll be fine. Thanks for worrying about me guys. Thanks Xarles for the message.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #259 on: April 01, 2014, 10:50:37 PM »
I'm glad to hear that you and your family are OK. I hope that the damage in Iquique and the surrounding region isn't too bad and that life will get back to normal before long.

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #260 on: April 02, 2014, 03:04:59 AM »
Vitoko <3333

I just cannot explain how sad it is to have a TAR disaster course thread with RFFers who can explain what has happened to them.

Prayers to you and to people in Chile to get better <3

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
« Reply #261 on: April 02, 2014, 09:39:49 AM »
I guessthe disaster curse needed to hit at some point.

I'm ok guys, I've been posting from my grandmother house that got electric power back.
I guess I'll report what I can about the Tar locations when everything go back to normal

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #262 on: April 04, 2014, 01:10:16 AM »
Boston globe has a number of pictures from Iquique on the web. A couple of them clearly show the roadblock location. The stairs where the contestants waited now has a boat on them. See http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2014/04/earthquake_off_the_coast_of_chile.html

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #263 on: April 04, 2014, 12:13:33 PM »
Thanks Maf! Look:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #264 on: April 13, 2014, 02:10:15 PM »
This is just an announcement for the members, no curse at all. There are multiple fires in Valparaiso and Pina del Mar, Chile. Estimates are that over 500 homes have been destroyed. The fireman are having a very difficult time fighting the fire because of the hillside homes and high winds.
Matthew 7:15

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #265 on: September 19, 2014, 10:30:54 AM »
since my country will be feature on upcoming TAR 25, will this be counted?

https://ph.news.yahoo.com/tropical-storm-flooding-shuts-down-philippine-capital-051633808.html

Oh, how I remembered when the Typhoon Ondoy hit the Philippines, 5 years ago. :'(

And also this one as well: https://ph.celebrity.yahoo.com/news/thousands-flee-mayon-spews-lava-000544052.html;_ylt=A2oKmKP3TRxU0EIAu22zRwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTB1cmpvOGg2BHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA3NnMwR2dGlkA1ZJUFBIMDNfMQ--  Remember that volcano on TARA 4?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:41:30 AM by topaz »

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #266 on: December 03, 2014, 06:13:09 AM »
everyone, pleae pray for my country's safety!

Super Typhoon Hagupit (Filipino word for wrath) will hit to my country this weekend and we've never recovered yet from last year's devastating Haiyan (Yolanda): http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/390852/weather/govt-56-provinces-critical-as-hagupit-approaches-phl

:'( :gaah:

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #267 on: December 12, 2014, 03:20:17 AM »
After a big typhoon that hit in my country last week, there's another "typhoon" that will hit on the final leg & finish line on TAR 25 and that is on LA: https://ph.news.yahoo.com/strongest-storm-years-batters-california-020233719.html

MrDeerShank

« Reply #268 on: December 12, 2014, 03:50:04 AM »
There's currently a huge weatherbomb across Scotland at the moment that's expected to make it's way on to the Eastern parts by the end of this week/start of early next week and will bring it massive winds of up to 80 mph and torrential rain - yay!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #269 on: December 30, 2014, 10:28:24 AM »
Nobody mentioned about the latest AirAsia incident which supposedly crashed on its way to Singapore? :cmas4

Offline naejae91

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #270 on: December 30, 2014, 06:31:44 PM »
Nobody mentioned about the latest AirAsia incident which supposedly crashed on its way to Singapore? :cmas4

The plane was suppose departed from Surabaya, Indonesia (Visited in TAR 21) to Singapore (Visited in TAR 25) was crashed somewhere near Sumatera Island IIRC. OMG, 2014 is the big tragedy year for airlines company in Malaysia.  :cmas4  :cmas4  :cmas4

Scenario in TAR: AirAsia might be blacklisted and racers are not allowed to purchase AirAsia ticket in TAR 27 and beyond.  :cmas4  :cmas4  :cmas4
(So Malaysia might not be visited in future seasons? Because most of the air transport in Malaysia are dominated by Malaysia Airlines and AirAsia.)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 06:48:24 PM by 91zycn »
TAR25/TAR29: Modern classic season.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #271 on: January 01, 2015, 02:20:47 AM »
While the Air Asia disaster is tragic -- I don't understand why air traffic control denied the pilot's request to ascend above the thunderstorms on the flight path -- it technically does not come within the definition of the TAR disaster curse because it didn't happen in the time period between the filming and U.S. broadcast of the TAR 25 Singapore leg.

It is insane that the two airlines involved in the three air disasters of 2014are both headquartered in Mayalsia but so far, the issue of the weather and the ATC handling of the pilot's altitude request seem to be the main cause for concern and that may not be viewed as an airline safety problem. From what I know of the U.S. federal aviation regulations, a request of that kind from a pilot is to be granted unless there's something highly unusual that requires a denial. And I've not heard a thing along those lines.

-- theschnauzers

Online redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #272 on: January 01, 2015, 03:34:38 AM »
While the Air Asia disaster is tragic -- I don't understand why air traffic control denied the pilot's request to ascend above the thunderstorms on the flight path -- it technically does not come within the definition of the TAR disaster curse because it didn't happen in the time period between the filming and U.S. broadcast of the TAR 25 Singapore leg.

It is insane that the two airlines involved in the three air disasters of 2014are both headquartered in Mayalsia but so far, the issue of the weather and the ATC handling of the pilot's altitude request seem to be the main cause for concern and that may not be viewed as an airline safety problem. From what I know of the U.S. federal aviation regulations, a request of that kind from a pilot is to be granted unless there's something highly unusual that requires a denial. And I've not heard a thing along those lines.

There was another plane in the way.

http://redshopeweekly.wordpress.com/2014/12/31/no-happy-new-year/

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #273 on: January 01, 2015, 05:10:01 AM »

Indonesia AirAsia has its headquarters in Tangerang, Indonesia, not Malaysia.

Offline Leilani

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #274 on: January 01, 2015, 04:41:59 PM »

The reports I've heard have indicated that a change in altitude at that point would have put them in the flight paths of other planes.  Supposedly they were told that they would be able to change altitude at a later point after they had cleared the other air traffic.  I'm not sure if that's what the media was told or if they're speculating on the second part.