The Amazing Race > The Amazing Race Discussion

TAR Disaster Curse

(1/88) > >>

georgiapeach:
I'll hope this thread can fade into oblivion and never be needed again. But meanwhile, piecing bits together:

SANTIAGO, Chile – A massive 8.8-magnitude earthquake struck Chile early Saturday, killing at least 78 people, collapsing buildings and setting off a tsunami.

The quake hit 200 miles (325 kilometers) southwest of Santiago, at a depth of 22 miles (35 kilometers) at 3:34 a.m. (0634 GMT; 1:34 a.m. EST), the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

The epicenter was just 70 miles (115 kilometers) from Concepcion, where more than 200,000 people live along the Bio Bio river, and 60 miles (95 kilometers) from the ski town of Chillan, a gateway to Andean ski resorts that was destroyed in a 1939 earthquake.

In the capital, Santiago airport was shut down and will remain closed for at least the next 24 hours, airport director Eduardo del Canto said. The passenger terminal has suffered major damage, he told Chilean television in a telephone interview. TV images show smashed windows, partially collapsed ceilings and pedestrian walkways destroyed.

In Concepcion, nurses and residents pushed some of the injured through the streets on stretchers. Others walked around in a daze wrapped in blankets, some carrying infants in their arms.

The quake shook buildings as far away as Argentina. A series of strong aftershocks rocked Chile's coast, from Valdivia in the south to Valparaiso 500 miles to the north. The epicentre was 70 miles from Concepcion, Chile's second largest city, with a population of about 670,000.

He said a 1.3-metre tsunami wave was observed at Valparaiso about 20 minutes after the earthquake.

georgiapeach:
From the Media thread:

--- Quote from: slpdx on February 27, 2010, 01:28:46 AM ---Didn't know where to put this....just something of interest...A 8.3 earthquake just struck near Concepcion, Chili.  Concepcion is about about mid-way between Santiago and Puerta Varas and about 40ish miles east from the main highway connecting the two cities

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: topaz on February 27, 2010, 06:04:18 AM ---damn!  And I heard that news right now on cnn and bbc.  Hopefully, Phil will make an announcement for the condolences of the Chile earthquake this Sunday on the 3rd episode of TAR 16 just like what he did on Sri Lanka after the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami and New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.  We'll pray for the safety of the Chileans. :(

and here's the news from bbc online: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8540289.stm

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Boingo on February 27, 2010, 08:54:13 AM --- :(  the TAR curse strikes again?

Huge earthquake rocks Chile - story here

--- End quote ---

theschnauzers:
And now its listed as a 8.8 scale earthquake, that has generated tsunami waves of 8 feet in a coastal area of Chile near the epicenter....and tsunami warnings have been issued for Samoa and Hawaii. Samoa was struck by a destructive tsunami a few months ago.

This one barely gets into the actual TAR curse (natural disaster that struck an area where TAR was filmed after filming and before airing.)

slpdx:
Wow, woke up find the quake was upgraded to 8.8 and a tsunami followed.  The video that is getting through now is amazing, my heart goes to the people of Chili.  A little perspective the Haiti quake was 7.0 and the Sumatran quake that triggered the massive tsunami was 9.1  Southern Chili also suffered a 9.5 quake in 1960.  Due to the location of the quake (off shore),  type of building construction and a more functional government/economy, hopefully and thankfully the damage will not be as widespread and devastating as Haiti.

All joking aside, If I was on a tourism board, I might think twice before allowing TAR or Survivor to film in my country. Sri Lanka, New Orleans, Chili, Vanuatu, Samoa

georgiapeach:
from CBS:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version