The Amazing Race > The Amazing Race Discussion

Amazing Race In The News

(1/22) > >>

TARAsia Fan:
Here's one piece of news I would welcome. Despite the fact I'm against stunt casting and celebrities in the race, I wouldn't mind if this happened. Apparently USA women's hockey captain Angela Ruggiero is pushing to get on the race with US gold medal-winning gymnast Shawn Johnson. It was reported in today's Sports Business Daily. Unfortunately, the story is blocked behind a paywall, but there is this story from my friend, Tom Hoffarth in the Los Angeles Daily News.

Ruggiero's next reality show pursuit: Racing through Antarctica airports
By Tom Hoffarth on February 23, 2010 11:00 AM

She's already been around the world on philanthropic endeavors, including helping the New York Islanders with a program to help China improve its hockey program. And she's been in Donald Trump's boardroom, lasting until the final three on the 2007 season of "The Apprentice."

So a story in today's Sports Business Daily reveals that Simi Valley's Angela Ruggiero has been pitching her agent to get her a spot on the CBS reality show, "Amazing Race," paired up with U.S. Olympic gymnast Shawn Johnson, shouldn't be all that surprising.

Both are clients of agent Sheryl Shade, of Shade Global, whose Olympic clients include Paul and Morgan Hamm, Bela Karolyi, Blaine Wilson, Chellsie Memmel plus Mia Hamm and Kristine Lilly.

"The two of them, then nag me constantly (about 'Amazing Race,') Shade told SBJ writer Erik Swanson about Ruggiero and Johnson.

The SBJ story points on that Ruggiero has built up "an impressive endorsement portfolio" featuring Nike, Visa, Coca-Cola, Easton and Qwest Communications. Shade said that going forward, Ruggiero has a focus on expanding women's hockey with young girls.

"Olympic sports sponsorships aren't always about the money," Shade said. "It's the opportunities they can offer and where they can take her. ..."

It's not like you're going to confuse Angela Ruggiero with Angela Lansbury.

"She's got the goods, and she's got the substance behind her," Shade says of her client. "And she's very good with the press and the media. This is a sport where sponsors every day want to make sure that whomever they choose to have an association with their brands can actually talk and do the messaging correctly. And I think that's one of the reasons they look at her."

Source - http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/archives/2010/02/ruggieros-next.html

theschnauzers:
As long as they submit an application and a video like everyone else is supposed to, I wouldn't have a problem with it. They wouldn't been pushing for it as much as it sounds unless they were in fact big fans of the show.

almightyblue:
I wouldn't be against at, as well, as long as they were fans of the show.  Mike White was great, and I don't think anyone really had a problem with him being cast because he was such a huge fan.  It's teams like Maria & Tiffany, who were recruited, or Jeff & Jordan, who got on through Executive Meddling, who bug me.

I'd probably be for it in fact, as it's one guaranteed (physically) strong female team.

georgiapeach:
This should all be in speculation...but I will add that I don't think TAR will let an 18 year old on the race. Also doesn't sound from this article as though Shawn will be in any shape for the next season, as she just had knee surgery 2/16.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/22/AR2010022202604.html

chill_sd:
A report from CBS News Sunday Morning about Blake Mycoskie, TAR 2.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version