Author Topic: Undercover Boss  (Read 6527 times)

Offline tvfan

• RFF Not So Newbie
Undercover Boss
« on: February 02, 2010, 05:04:05 PM »
Undercover Boss - Real People Testimonials
Find out what people are saying about the new show 'Undercover Boss' - a show about bosses who go undercover in their own companies to see how their employees get by. Catch the premiere after the Superbowl! Only CBS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQmji1XYbW4

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
Re: Undercover Boss
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 01:39:55 PM »
I watched the show last night after the Super Bowl. I don't know what to make of it. It seemed a little preachy in parts. The first episode shows us Waste Management President Larry O'Donnell doing entry level work. He can't fill up even one bag of paper litter on a hill at the land fill. He's mentored by a man who has to have kidney dialysis to keep him alive, and can pick up more several bags in 10 minutes. (O'Donnell was fired for poor performance.)  :lol:

Shown were employees who do their job and not only make the best of it but do so and inspire. One whose job is to clean the porta potties at the Texas Fairground makes it fun because he has such a good way of looking at it, a challenge. Another employee that had to do multiple jobs because no one was hired to help her and it seemed as if her boss was aware but did nothing to advance her or to hire more people. (Again this seems to go back to productivity and time management.) (She was given a management job with more pay and some employees to help her as a result of O'Donnell ordering her boss to come up with ways to improve her situation.)

Another job site showed a woman who was teaching O'Donnell so tied to the 30 minutes for lunch that she literally ran to the time clock to make sure she clocked back in before she went past her allotted time. Employees are/were docked 2 minutes for every minute they went over the 30 minutes.  The look on her face was of abject fear while she waited to make sure she didn't get penalized. This was not company policy and the manager was called in to face O'Donnell at the end of the show.

I noticed when O'Donnell came back to his office to tell his management team that he was responsible for making female drivers so closely monitored that they had to use a coffee can because they have no time to find a restroom. The camera cuts to one of the men who seemed to shake his head derisively when they are told they need to do better for their employees. While I loved the employees who are proud of their work and doing it the best they can, it made me wonder, did anyone in management ever actually think about what they order their employees to do and if it CAN be done? Did anyone ever offer input that something might not work? O'Donnell could go home after 7 days and resume his life and life style, will he continue to make changes to make his employee's lives better?

Next week we see the Hooter's boss go undercover. The preview shows a manager demeaning his waitresses by making them compete to eat food off a plate their hands behind their back.  Hooter's boss says that is not company policy.
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 04:21:55 PM »
i agree tl.. i had a love hate relationship with this show.. i liked the boss he's bk story about his daughter and he seemed very humbel. but he did get to go bk to his life and out of all the employes he must have that need help and what about the ones who lost there jobs due to the cuts every company has had to make.. i guess i think to much. :colors :colors
so next week i am going to watch for sure 2 reasons i no 2 ppl who have worked for hooters ( one being my beloved season 6 americian idol 5 th place contestant chris richardson) and the other to hopefuly see that guy get the boot. one of my daughters friends worked for hooters and it is so cickish and not the best place for a girl to work,,so yea i will give the show a 5 and watch it again.
tv junky needs help!!!!!

Offline tvfan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 04:23:28 PM »
Well, I really like it - the next episode looks great!

Undercover Boss - Story of Your Life
Bill Carstanjan, the COO of Churchill Downs, takes a walk in the shoes of the people whose hard work keeps the famous race track running smoothly. Catch an all-new episode of 'Undercover Boss' Sunday March 14th at 9pm. Only CBS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATpLk2paafw

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 05:00:29 PM »
Thanks for the video tvfan.  :waves:The last two shows were very interesting, 7-Eleven and White Castle. I did not know that 7-Eleven and White Castle had such huge facilities for baking. 7-Eleven makes a number of fresh pastry products for their stores every day. White Castle makes their own buns. (I LOVE WC cheeseburgers, they are distinct and little so it's OK to have more than one.)  ;)

7-Eleven, Living the American Dream

White Castle

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 10:04:07 AM »
CBS Press Release:

CBS ANNOUNCES FOUR MORE COMPANIES PARTICIPATING IN THE FIRST SEASON OF "UNDERCOVER BOSS"

CBS announced today the four remaining companies who are participating in the first season of UNDERCOVER BOSS.   The series airs Sundays (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

The remaining Season One companies are:

* Roto-Rooter (Rick L. Arquilla, President and COO): The largest plumbing provider in North America
    * 1-800-Flowers (Chris McCann, President): One of the world's largest florists
    * GSI Commerce (Michael G. Rubin, Chairman, President and CEO): The e-commerce giant behind numerous top U.S. retailers
    * Herschend Family Entertainment (Joel Manby, President and CEO): A leader in the world of family theme parks and attractions 

The air schedule for upcoming episodes of UNDERCOVER BOSS follows:

* Sunday, March 14: Churchill Downs (Bill Carstanjen, COO)
    * Sunday, March 21: GSI Commerce (Michael G. Rubin, Chairman, President and CEO)
    * Sunday, March 28: Herschend Family Entertainment (Joel Manby, President and CEO)

*Airdates for the two additional episodes will be announced at a later date.   

Each week, UNDERCOVER BOSS follows a different executive as they leave the comfort of their corner office for an undercover mission to examine the inner workings of their companies.  While working alongside their employees, they see the effects their decisions have on others, where the problems lie within their organizations and get an up-close look at both the good and the bad while discovering the unsung heroes who make their companies run. 

The companies whose chief executives have already made the undercover journey during the first season are Waste Management (Larry O'Donnell, President and C.O.O.), Hooters (Coby G. Brooks, President and C.E.O.), 7-Eleven (Joseph M. DePinto, President and C.E.O.) and White Castle (Dave Rife, Owner/Executive Board Member).  This week's episode of UNDERCOVER BOSS (Sunday, March 14) follows the COO of the world famous horse racing company Churchill Downs, Bill Carstanjen, as he travels to the backstretch of his company where he will walk, wash and feed the massive thoroughbreds and discover what life is like for the cleaning crew after hours.   

UNDERCOVER BOSS is the number one new series of the 2009-2010 season, averaging 18.74 million viewers, 8.0/17 in adults 25-54 and 7.1/17 in adults 18-49.

Stephen Lambert and Eli Holzman are executive producers for Studio Lambert, Ltd. 

Source: http://www.cbspressexpress.com/div.php/cbs_entertainment/release?id=24500

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 03:47:05 PM »
I really like this show. It is totally formulaic, so I guess that the producers have absolute control on how a company and its CEO must act and follow almost-scripted situations to get on this show and benefit from the positive publicity. It's just like Oprah's "The Big Give" from the summer of 2008 in that respect. However, the CEOs are encouraged like contestants on any reality show to verbalize extensively, so we know a lot of what they are thinking. They have been a treat to watch in action. The televised company employees (who knows how many others were filmed and discarded for that company's telecast based on criteria set up by the producers?) were all real people. I did not see any phonies or ringers in the group, although many of those telecast did seem to have some sort of life issue that serious money could help fix. I recommend it to you to watch (there are 2 episodes before reruns).

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 11:51:35 AM »
I'm really enjoying it even though it is scripted. It's wonderful to see hard working men and women who are going above and beyond to do their job. It speaks to the American work ethic and finding ways to be more productive and innovative.

It's also funny to watch these CEO's trying to do the small but important jobs and failing, some even getting "fired" because they can't perform at a level needed to do the jobs.  :lol:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 02:44:12 PM »
I still have two episodes to catch up on and I do enjoy watching it, but this is the ultimate in set-ups. You know that the people the CEOs are sent to work with are in one of several categories:

1. Patsies that underperform and need to get serious retraining after the undercover period is over (witness Danielle from GSI)
2. People with serious medical problems that need fixing and that need some big dollars
3. People who do not know that they have already been picked by higher-ups for upward mobility, with training and promotions
4. People who have a civic or charity connection that can benefit from some company money

If they just played it straight and did not have it so scripted, this could be a really fascinating show.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 03:55:51 PM »
I agree with all your points. It would improve the show so much more if they just let the "boss" go in and not have the list that is by now so evident. For me though the people for the most part are incredible.   

Offline bee1233

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 01:57:55 AM »
I'm still amazed on the episode with Waste Management.  It seemed all warm and cozy at the end...and then the stupid union call for a strike.  I enjoyed the show but after feeling the strike even though it was short I don't buy into the show anymore.  It was a good concept but it has to be believable.  Maybe they helped a few of the workers but what about the hundreds of other workers that are in the same boat as those that are helped.  Ok done with my ranting.  :groan:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 05:56:28 PM »
That is surprising bee. Austin has WM services, I haven't heard that they were going to strike.

I didn't think you were ranting. I keep trying to remember the show that was similar to this one, the bosses had to clean motel rooms.

I think this was an OK series, but I can't see it coming back for a 2nd time.

Offline bee1233

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 09:48:50 PM »
Each area of WM has different unions.  Seattle area had a brief walk off the job.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 10:26:58 PM »
Each area of WM has different unions.  Seattle area had a brief walk off the job.

AH OK! Texas is a right-to-work state so we might not have unionized workers.