Author Topic: TAR16 - EP1: "Nana is kickin' your butt (Chile)"--  (Read 87400 times)

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
Re: TAR16 - EP1: "Nana is kickin' your butt (Chile)"--
« Reply #150 on: February 11, 2010, 11:05:03 PM »
The F4 and Jordan & Jeff were shown on a promo for this episode.

Man.  Jordan & Jeff aside, they're not even trying to hide their finalists anymore, are they?

CBS... (:;) :knuckles:
I know.  Even Survivor hides its finalists better than TAR. :groan:

It is very irritating that they try to tell us going into every season who the "most important" teams are every season. And then most of the fans take the bait and make the F4 teams their favorites, no matter who they are. If they are promoted, they must be the best.

As for me, I will choose my OWN favorites, regardless of who is/isn't shown. Portray them equally like you once did (back in the days before TAR 13).
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #151 on: February 11, 2010, 11:14:32 PM »
Thanks to Zach in the previews thread for getting the Pit Stop!

I think we've got this leg (and really, most of Legs 2 and 3) down...

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #152 on: February 11, 2010, 11:16:58 PM »
The F4 and Jordan & Jeff were shown on a promo for this episode.

Man.  Jordan & Jeff aside, they're not even trying to hide their finalists anymore, are they?

CBS... (:;) :knuckles:
I know.  Even Survivor hides its finalists better than TAR. :groan:

It is very irritating that they try to tell us going into every season who the "most important" teams are every season. And then most of the fans take the bait and make the F4 teams their favorites, no matter who they are. If they are promoted, they must be the best.

As for me, I will choose my OWN favorites, regardless of who is/isn't shown. Portray them equally like you once did (back in the days before TAR 13).

I blame CBS for interfering with the TAR casting process in order to bolster ratings.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #153 on: February 11, 2010, 11:26:00 PM »
Also very important: the review confirmed TAR 16 has 12 legs.

3 in SA, 3 in Europe, 1 in Africa, 4 in Asia, and the finale.

How are 3 legs in South America and 3 legs in Europe confirmed? Aren't 4 legs in SA and 2 in Europe still a possibility? As far as I know, the destination of the fourth leg is still up for speculation, with the most likely candidate being Buenos Aires. Did I miss something? ???

I believe a good amount of people are leaning towards another leg somewhere between Liverpool and Northern France

although, Buenos Aires is still a major possibility...  :duno:

Please no Buenos Aires. They've already used that place twice...what more can they do there?

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #154 on: February 12, 2010, 12:13:10 AM »
Also very important: the review confirmed TAR 16 has 12 legs.

3 in SA, 3 in Europe, 1 in Africa, 4 in Asia, and the finale.

How are 3 legs in South America and 3 legs in Europe confirmed? Aren't 4 legs in SA and 2 in Europe still a possibility? As far as I know, the destination of the fourth leg is still up for speculation, with the most likely candidate being Buenos Aires. Did I miss something? ???

I believe a good amount of people are leaning towards another leg somewhere between Liverpool and Northern France

although, Buenos Aires is still a major possibility...  :duno:

Please no Buenos Aires. They've already used that place twice...what more can they do there?
They could Switchback "Perro/Tango" and that would be great with another Big Brother team here.
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline slpdx

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2010, 10:30:45 AM »
This was on LA Times.com this morning...(I apologize if it's not the right place to put it  :()...it looks like Brent/Caite had some trouble on the first leg as well.

'The Amazing Race 16': five reasons to tune in

It's no small feat that "The Amazing Race" is set to launch its 16th season this weekend, likely thanks in part to the strength of its casting ("Big Brother" contestants notwithstanding), its far-flung locales and its eyebrow-raising host, Phil Keoghan.

All three elements return for the season premiere of "The Amazing Race," which airs Sunday night on CBS. Rather sadly, it's only a one-hour season opener this time around, but it's filled with so many jaw-dropping moments and gasp-inducing lines of dialogue that you'll want to cancel your Valentine's Day plans to stay home and watch. (Or, at the very least, set your DVR in advance.)

Still debating about whether or not to join Phil and friends for another race around the world? Here are five reasons why you must tune in on Sunday.

Mapquest: Yes, it's sad but true that this cycle's batch of contestants seem to have either been sleeping through class or didn't bother to turn up at all. (Or the educational system is even worse off than we thought.) Twenty-year-old Caite Upton, best known as the former Miss South Carolina in the Miss Teen USA pageant, says that she wants to overcome the embarrassing flub she made during the 2007 pageant when she stated that "I believe that our, uh, education like such as, uh, South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as ... " (The response was to a question about maps.) Putting aside maps, she and her partner, fellow model Brent Horne, have trouble in the first leg simply reading and following the clues appropriately and fail to realize that they've made a major error on their first day. Meanwhile, former "Big Brother" contestants Jordan Lloyd and Jeff Schroeder have their own problems to contend with as Jordan seems to have never heard of the country Chile and repeatedly — to Jeff and even to airline counter personnel — refers to the South American country as "China." (Wow.)

Clueless contestants: It doesn't stop there. Brothers/cowboys Jet and Cord McCoy (yes, these are their real names) exchange money at LAX ... for Brazilian currency, believing it to be the "closest" to Chilean money. And one team — I'm not saying which one — mistakenly begin to paint the inside of someone's home when they fail to pay attention to their clue, much to the amusement of the professional construction workers and painters inside attempting to renovate this home.

Texas Hold'Em: I haven't been able to stop chuckling over the aforementioned cowboy brothers Jet and Cord. Despite their inability to select the proper currency for Chile, they have a true Texas cowboy approach to just about everything in life. Even when faced with setbacks, these two have an aw-shucks reaction that's infinitely as amusing as it is sweet. Even when climbing across cables 150 feet above Santiago, their gentlemanly nature can't help but shine through as they make small talk with fellow contestants. I'm curious to see if behind their dimpled exterior lies the beating hearts of true competitors.

Exotic locations: The first leg of this cycle takes the racers to such exotic locations as Santiago, Chile, and the oft-rumored-but-rarely-seen Los Angeles subway system, as teams must find their own way to LAX using public transportation, much to the shock and horror of several contestants, including Angelenos Carol Rosenfeld and Brandy Snow. While some opt for the flyaway from Union Station, others attempt to take the subway. In both cases, they are proof positive as to why Angelenos love their cars so darn much.

Iron-pumping granny: Yes, there is an actual triathalon-running, iron-pumping grandmother in the race this season. Meet 71-year-old Jody Kelly, who is racing with her granddaughter Shannon Foster. Among her goals, Jody lists, "Finish a half Ironman triathlon. Finish a full marathon. Publish another book. Motivate people to become active. Climb more Colorado mountains. Walk the Appalachian Trail. Go trekking in Norway. Bicycle through the Netherlands. Develop a TV show featuring elderly athletes." At a time when more and more people are leaning toward non-active lifestyles, Jody's grit and determination to outdo people 50 years younger is refreshing and inspirational. While I'd be surprised if this team lasts in the race more than a few legs, I have to say that I'm extremely impressed by her spirit and can-do attitude about tackling anything that the race throws her way. After all, she is the oldest person to ever participate in "The Amazing Race."

I don't want to spoil the rest of the fun season opener, but I hope that you'll join the latest batch of "TAR" contestants in painting the town red this Valentine's Day as these teams set off on yet another race around the world. See you at the Pit Stop.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #156 on: February 12, 2010, 10:43:36 AM »
Brent and Caitlin major error...is this our penalty crew??

ANd LOL at Jordan calling Chile China...bless her heart, she's going to be fun to watch experience the world!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #157 on: February 12, 2010, 12:08:23 PM »
 The high wire walk is definitely the ROADBLOCK  task.  Phil was a guest on the Bonnie Hunt talkathon this morning and he showed a clip from Sunday's first episode.  The clip was Phil on camera describing the ROADBLOCK task with the Red Title Card with people doing the walk.   He also hints that one team member can't finish the task (a la last seasons water slide) and that the other team member finishes the walk.  No talk about a penalty being given, but if this is the case that another team member takes over, then there must be some kind of penalty given.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #158 on: February 12, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
We saw both Dana and Adrian on the wires.  :'(
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #159 on: February 12, 2010, 12:57:38 PM »
We saw both Dana and Adrian on the wires.  :'(

Horrible luck.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #160 on: February 12, 2010, 05:00:19 PM »
A teammate switch on a roadblock will be a first; I don't know about the other versions of the show, but it will definitely be a first for the mothership.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #161 on: February 12, 2010, 05:24:24 PM »
The writer who wrote a review for episode 1 gave away who was eliminated first, but I think we already knew this. This is what they wrote:

http://www.projo.com/tv/content/lb-amazing_race_02-15-10_RKHDN8J_v10.285d70a.html

2 R.I. teams still on ‘Amazing Race"

The Rhode Islanders, all four of them, are still in the race.
“The Amazing Race” on CBS started its 16th season Sunday with 11 two-person teams vying to win a race around the world, and win $1 million. And two of those teams are from Rhode Island.
The team of Louis D. Stravato, 47, of Bristol, and Michael Naylor, 45, of Warwick, friends and police officers, are still in the running. And so is the team of Jordan and Dan Pious, ages 22 and 24, a consultant and financial advisor respectively, brothers from Barrington.
Sunday’s show involved all the teams beginning on the outskirts of Los Angles and getting their first travel challenge: to take public transportation and get to LAX Airport and take a plane to Santiago, Chile. There, the teams each received cans of paint, had to visit a particular street, find the partially painted house that matched their paint color and finish the job.
Then the teams had to have one member traverse a 300-foot gorge, shuffling across on cables 120 feet above the ground, hooked to a cable with a safety line.
 That’s where one team was eliminated.
Dana and Adrian Davis, 39 and 40 respectively, of Arlington, Texas, were eliminated from the show because Adrian Davis didn’t make it all the way across the gorge, succumbing to fatigue.
Now there are 10 remaining teams. The next episode airs Sunday at 8 p.m. on CBS (Ch. 4 and 12).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 05:32:20 PM by Sailing »

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #162 on: February 12, 2010, 05:34:40 PM »
He also hints that one team member can't finish the task (a la last seasons water slide) and that the other team member finishes the walk.  No talk about a penalty being given, but if this is the case that another team member takes over, then there must be some kind of penalty given.

Adrian Davis is the person hinted here. See in accordance with Sailing's post
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #163 on: February 12, 2010, 05:52:58 PM »
The writer who wrote a review for episode 1 gave away who was eliminated first, but I think we already knew this. This is what they wrote:

http://www.projo.com/tv/content/lb-amazing_race_02-15-10_RKHDN8J_v10.285d70a.html

2 R.I. teams still on ‘Amazing Race"

The Rhode Islanders, all four of them, are still in the race.
“The Amazing Race” on CBS started its 16th season Sunday with 11 two-person teams vying to win a race around the world, and win $1 million. And two of those teams are from Rhode Island.
The team of Louis D. Stravato, 47, of Bristol, and Michael Naylor, 45, of Warwick, friends and police officers, are still in the running. And so is the team of Jordan and Dan Pious, ages 22 and 24, a consultant and financial advisor respectively, brothers from Barrington.
Sunday’s show involved all the teams beginning on the outskirts of Los Angles and getting their first travel challenge: to take public transportation and get to LAX Airport and take a plane to Santiago, Chile. There, the teams each received cans of paint, had to visit a particular street, find the partially painted house that matched their paint color and finish the job.
Then the teams had to have one member traverse a 300-foot gorge, shuffling across on cables 120 feet above the ground, hooked to a cable with a safety line.
 That’s where one team was eliminated.
Dana and Adrian Davis, 39 and 40 respectively, of Arlington, Texas, were eliminated from the show because Adrian Davis didn’t make it all the way across the gorge, succumbing to fatigue.
Now there are 10 remaining teams. The next episode airs Sunday at 8 p.m. on CBS (Ch. 4 and 12).

I guess that's why Dana was seen on the wire -- Adrian got too fatigued.  And they could've been penalized -- unless they already were in last.

Belle Book

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #164 on: February 12, 2010, 05:57:08 PM »
I found another article that has spilled the beans:

http://www.nj.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-16/1266017195308810.xml&storylist=entertainment

Beauty queen bungles 'Amazing Race' debut

(AP) — LOS ANGELES - Caite Upton is already not following directions on "The Amazing Race."
The former Miss Teen South Carolina, who famously flubbed a 2007 pageant question involving maps, and her boyfriend, Brent Horne, were in the front of the pack on the CBS reality series' 16th season premiere Sunday, but they didn't heed instructions to ride a funicular train and received a 30-minute penalty, dropping them from second to seventh place.
Ultimately, married high school sweethearts Adrian and Dana Davis were the first team eliminated. Husky husband Adrian twice attempted the Roadblock challenge, which required contestants to scale a tight rope, but he tumbled both times, which allowed the 10 other teams to pass them on the race's first leg.

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #165 on: February 12, 2010, 06:30:34 PM »
Here are two tweets that might explain these articles spoiling the first episode:

AP appears to be jumping the gun: they're revealing the first couple eliminated on the Amazing Race premiere. CBS won't be happy ...
about 2 hours ago from web

AP withdrew the story on the Amazing Race premiere. Bet there are some unscrupulous bloggers, though, who won't go along.
7 minutes ago from web

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #166 on: February 12, 2010, 06:37:07 PM »
Wow...they are supposed to follow strict guidelines for those previews. Bet they won't be getting anymore!!

We knew of course...but how sad to go out on a RB. Very tough luck. :'(
RFF's Golden Rule:

AmazingDT

« Reply #167 on: February 12, 2010, 07:12:48 PM »
awwwwwwwwwwwwwww y do adrian and dana have to be eliminated first, i dont think they deserved it :(
well, i guess they recieved the penalty since this states that adrian tried it

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #168 on: February 12, 2010, 07:18:17 PM »
Naughty Naughty. That's bad! So Dana and Adrian are out and Brent and Caitlin get a penalty also which puts them from 2nd to 7th
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

AmazingDT

« Reply #169 on: February 12, 2010, 07:19:47 PM »

'The Amazing Race 16': five reasons to tune in
February 12, 2010 |  7:00 am

It's no small feat that "The Amazing Race" is set to launch its 16th season this weekend, likely thanks in part to the strength of its casting ("Big Brother" contestants notwithstanding), its far-flung locales and its eyebrow-raising host, Phil Keoghan.

All three elements return for the season premiere of "The Amazing Race," which airs Sunday night on CBS. Rather sadly, it's only a one-hour season opener this time around, but it's filled with so many jaw-dropping moments and gasp-inducing lines of dialogue that you'll want to cancel your Valentine's Day plans to stay home and watch. (Or, at the very least, set your DVR in advance.)

Still debating about whether or not to join Phil and friends for another race around the world? Here are five reasons why you must tune in on Sunday.

Mapquest: Yes, it's sad but true that this cycle's batch of contestants seem to have either been sleeping through class or didn't bother to turn up at all. (Or the educational system is even worse off than we thought.) Twenty-year-old Caite Upton, best known as the former Miss South Carolina in the Miss Teen USA pageant, says that she wants to overcome the embarrassing flub she made during the 2007 pageant when she stated that "I believe that our, uh, education like such as, uh, South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as ... " (The response was to a question about maps.) Putting aside maps, she and her partner, fellow model Brent Horne, have trouble in the first leg simply reading and following the clues appropriately and fail to realize that they've made a major error on their first day. Meanwhile, former "Big Brother" contestants Jordan Lloyd and Jeff Schroeder have their own problems to contend with as Jordan seems to have never heard of the country Chile and repeatedly — to Jeff and even to airline counter personnel — refers to the South American country as "China." (Wow.)

Clueless contestants: It doesn't stop there. Brothers/cowboys Jet and Cord McCoy (yes, these are their real names) exchange money at LAX ... for Brazilian currency, believing it to be the "closest" to Chilean money. And one team — I'm not saying which one — mistakenly begin to paint the inside of someone's home when they fail to pay attention to their clue, much to the amusement of the professional construction workers and painters inside attempting to renovate this home.

Texas Hold'Em: I haven't been able to stop chuckling over the aforementioned cowboy brothers Jet and Cord. Despite their inability to select the proper currency for Chile, they have a true Texas cowboy approach to just about everything in life. Even when faced with setbacks, these two have an aw-shucks reaction that's infinitely as amusing as it is sweet. Even when climbing across cables 150 feet above Santiago, their gentlemanly nature can't help but shine through as they make small talk with fellow contestants. I'm curious to see if behind their dimpled exterior lies the beating hearts of true competitors.

Exotic locations: The first leg of this cycle takes the racers to such exotic locations as Santiago, Chile, and the oft-rumored-but-rarely-seen Los Angeles subway system, as teams must find their own way to LAX using public transportation, much to the shock and horror of several contestants, including Angelenos Carol Rosenfeld and Brandy Snow. While some opt for the flyaway from Union Station, others attempt to take the subway. In both cases, they are proof positive as to why Angelenos love their cars so darn much.

Iron-pumping granny: Yes, there is an actual triathalon-running, iron-pumping grandmother in the race this season. Meet 71-year-old Jody Kelly, who is racing with her granddaughter Shannon Foster. Among her goals, Jody lists, "Finish a half Ironman triathlon. Finish a full marathon. Publish another book. Motivate people to become active. Climb more Colorado mountains. Walk the Appalachian Trail. Go trekking in Norway. Bicycle through the Netherlands. Develop a TV show featuring elderly athletes." At a time when more and more people are leaning toward non-active lifestyles, Jody's grit and determination to outdo people 50 years younger is refreshing and inspirational. While I'd be surprised if this team lasts in the race more than a few legs, I have to say that I'm extremely impressed by her spirit and can-do attitude about tackling anything that the race throws her way. After all, she is the oldest person to ever participate in "The Amazing Race."

I don't want to spoil the rest of the fun season opener, but I hope that you'll join the latest batch of "TAR" contestants in painting the town red this Valentine's Day as these teams set off on yet another race around the world. See you at the Pit Stop.

I hope this is an ok place to put this

AmazingDT

« Reply #170 on: February 12, 2010, 07:20:46 PM »
oops sorrysum1 already posted it

Offline Mandoli

• hahahaha NO!
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #171 on: February 12, 2010, 07:39:11 PM »
I don't know what's worse. CBS revealing the final four teams in the video previews, or the AP leaking out pretty much everything in regards to the first episode. Really.
I thought that when we fought, I was to blame
Now I know you play a different game
I've seen you dance with danger; still wanting more
Add another number to the score

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #172 on: February 13, 2010, 06:57:50 AM »
I'm quite disappointed that it was leaked. It's great when RFF spoils it but that's just annoying. And they gave away Brent & Caite's finish, too, so it's not even going to be nerve-wracking, to see when their penalty will run out. :(
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

AmazingDT

« Reply #173 on: February 13, 2010, 11:42:30 AM »
so any1 have any ideas who will be first? 

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #174 on: February 13, 2010, 12:37:38 PM »
I'm quite disappointed that it was leaked. It's great when RFF spoils it but that's just annoying. And they gave away Brent & Caite's finish, too, so it's not even going to be nerve-wracking, to see when their penalty will run out. :(

What? AP spoiled everything?
Wow, there goes my fantasy game answers.  :groan: