Author Topic: TAR16 - EP1: "Nana is kickin' your butt (Chile)"--  (Read 87409 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: TAR16 - EP1: "Nana is kickin' your butt (Chile)"--
« Reply #125 on: February 09, 2010, 09:40:40 PM »
TAR 10, leg 3 (Tom and Terry got rides on privately owned motorcycles, which was specifically prohibited in the clue, according to Wikipedia.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2010, 10:23:10 PM »
The penalty for using privately owned transportation is 30 minutes.  I can't remember which season or leg at the moment, but I do remember Phil having to assess a penalty at the mat on a team for hitching a ride in a private vehicle.

Maybe TAR 12 Leg 6 with Nathan & Jennifer? But in their case they just had to do it over again.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #127 on: February 09, 2010, 10:38:02 PM »
J-Squeeze, you overlooked my later post where I was able to be more definitive. (TAR 10, Leg 3)
-- theschnauzers

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #128 on: February 09, 2010, 10:41:11 PM »
J-Squeeze, you overlooked my later post where I was able to be more definitive. (TAR 10, Leg 3)

No, I saw it, I was just bringing up another example.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

DavidJunior

« Reply #129 on: February 09, 2010, 11:05:02 PM »
i think Linda (Season 14, Leg 2) got that too, or at least would've if her team wasn't in last already

credit to Peach for saying it first tho.

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2010, 01:51:32 AM »
i think Linda (Season 14, Leg 2) got that too, or at least would've if her team wasn't in last already

Yeah, Linda and Steve would've been slapped with time penalty if they didn't come in the last place on Leg 2 for a private transportation. But, it was a little strange because Kris used a private transportation as well (Linda wasn't the only one who got lost in the mountains!)

Offline nathandg0924

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2010, 03:00:46 AM »

Yeah, Linda and Steve would've been slapped with time penalty if they didn't come in the last place on Leg 2 for a private transportation. But, it was a little strange because Kris used a private transportation as well (Linda wasn't the only one who got lost in the mountains!)

I guess you're right. That's a move I wouldn't do if I were in the race!

Anyways, Only a few days left then Its finally the start of the race!!! :wohoo:  :jumpy: :hearts: :yess:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2010, 01:19:31 PM »
The full episode is out for media review, be on the look out for reviews :)

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #133 on: February 10, 2010, 05:32:29 PM »
I thought this should go here it is a review for episode 1:
TV Review: The Amazing Race Season 16 Premiere
Could you imagine walking a tightrope the length of a football field in Chile? That’s what 11 teams did on the 16th season premier of The Amazing Race (CBS, February 14 from 8-9 pm). The one team to finish first after 12 legs of the race will win one million dollars.
The show starts in downtown Los Angeles where the 11 teams were introduced. The teams included:
Caite and Brent – dating models (by the way, Caite was Miss South Carolina and was the beauty who said that there are many people in the US who don’t have maps and that’s why they can’t locate the USA on a map. A Youtube video with Caite’s answer went viral across the Internet)
Louis and Michael – detectives
Steve and Allie – father/daughter team
Jeff and Jordan – dating (they were both contestants on Big Brother and now are dating as a result of the show)
Monique and Shawne – "momtrepreneurs" (the two are mothers and attorneys)
Jet and Cord – cowboys
Andrian and Dana – childhood sweethearts now 17 years married
Jody and Shannon – grandmother/granddaughter team (interestingly, both ran in half-marathons and the grandmother is 71 years old)
Carol and Brandy – lesbian couple
Dan and Jordan – brothers (one is gay, the other isn’t)
Joe and Heidi – married couple
The couples were told that their first challenge was to take public transportation to LAX airport where they would get on a flight to Santiago, Chile.
Phil Keoghan, the show’s host, told the teams that only three will get on the first plane and all the remaining teams will go one hour later. It was exciting to watch as the 11 teams made their way to the airport.

At the airport, the cowboy team decided to change their money over. They exchanged it for Brazilian money instead of Chilean money, thinking it was the same thing. When they got to Chile they were surprised to learn that they were not allowed to board the bus with Brazilian money and had to change it over to Chilean.
The teams took a bus to Valparaiso, Chile, which is the San Francisco of South America, and were told to walk across a thin cable the size of a football field. As I watched this, I was on edge. Some teams made it across like a breeze, but others were shaking and actually fell off the cable! It was frightening. You almost felt as if it could have been you on the cable!
When that challenge was completed, the teams were told to ride a funicular to a residential area where they were to paint the outside of homes before getting their next clue. I never laughed so hard as when I saw one of the teams walking into a home and actually painting the interior. The Chilean painters were laughing and saying that they didn’t know what they were doing… it was hysterical!
I’ve been watching The Amazing Race with my family since it first went on the air. It’s one of those rare reality shows that we actually watch. We all enjoy it for the excitement and to get a sense of other cities around the globe. I’ll tell you one thing, after watching this show, I’m thinking that my next vacation will be in Chile!

http://blogcritics.org/video/article/tv-review-the-amazing-race-season/page-1

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2010, 05:36:11 PM »
Teams on the one flight connected in Miami, and might have made the mistake there.

But why a team could have done that whereever they exchanged currency when they should have remembered they were headed to Chile suggests a violation of the crucial rule to read the frakking clue completely.

Seems this answers this question:

At the airport, the cowboy team decided to change their money over. They exchanged it for Brazilian money instead of Chilean money, thinking it was the same thing. When they got to Chile they were surprised to learn that they were not allowed to board the bus with Brazilian money and had to change it over to Chilean.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #135 on: February 10, 2010, 06:58:06 PM »
Also very important: the review confirmed TAR 16 has 12 legs.

3 in SA, 3 in Europe, 1 in Africa, 4 in Asia, and the finale.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #136 on: February 10, 2010, 07:15:49 PM »
12 legs, 12 episodes, which points towards a May 9th finale.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 07:52:13 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #137 on: February 10, 2010, 07:32:27 PM »
Also interesting: only 3 teams on the first flight, which is one hour ahead.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #138 on: February 10, 2010, 07:54:22 PM »
I KNOW teams did something fishy in Dallas!! Heeee.... Hope we get to see.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #139 on: February 10, 2010, 08:14:39 PM »
The EXIF on the Jody/Shannon shot must be whacked, right? Wulff Castle is the first destination in Chile, and they're already 3 hours behind?

Could we factor in the five hour time difference into it, which would give a Jody/Shannon (we're told it's Wulff Castle) shot at 13.04 and the Dana/Adrian shot at 14.31? The rest of the zipline photos were presumably taken between 14.42 and 15.01...

The Dallas (arrival scheduled 9.45am, actual 9.47am) and Miami (arrival scheduled 10.10am, actual 10.20am) flights arrive within half an hour of each other, so there could easily be catching up and all, and I'm not even sure if TPTB just pretended it was an hour's difference. But here are the three teams not seen together at the zipline: Carol/Brandy, Joe/Heidi, Jody/Shannon.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 08:24:46 PM by Neobie »

AmazingDT

« Reply #140 on: February 10, 2010, 08:27:51 PM »
CBS may be lying cuz they have wrote that teams must perform a roadblcok but then their done already

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #141 on: February 10, 2010, 08:29:58 PM »
Just wondering - do these photos look like they were taken four and a half hours apart, shadow-wise?

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #142 on: February 10, 2010, 09:12:15 PM »
Just wondering - do these photos look like they were taken four and a half hours apart, shadow-wise?

Yes 100%   :tup:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2010, 09:13:45 PM »
:ty
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2010, 10:20:06 PM »
The F4 and Jordan & Jeff were shown on a promo for this episode.

Man.  Jordan & Jeff aside, they're not even trying to hide their finalists anymore, are they?

Offline woden

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #145 on: February 11, 2010, 08:35:19 AM »

How are 3 legs in South America and 3 legs in Europe confirmed? Aren't 4 legs in SA and 2 in Europe still a possibility? As far as I know, the destination of the fourth leg is still up for speculation, with the most likely candidate being Buenos Aires. Did I miss something? ???

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #146 on: February 11, 2010, 12:24:44 PM »

Man.  Jordan & Jeff aside, they're not even trying to hide their finalists anymore, are they?

CBS... (:;) :knuckles:

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #147 on: February 11, 2010, 01:11:50 PM »
The EXIF on the Jody/Shannon shot must be whacked, right? Wulff Castle is the first destination in Chile, and they're already 3 hours behind?
I think the caption is wrong for the photo - if you look closely I think you can see the blue of a route info in Shannon's hand.
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

DavidJunior

« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2010, 02:24:04 PM »

How are 3 legs in South America and 3 legs in Europe confirmed? Aren't 4 legs in SA and 2 in Europe still a possibility? As far as I know, the destination of the fourth leg is still up for speculation, with the most likely candidate being Buenos Aires. Did I miss something? ???

I believe a good amount of people are leaning towards another leg somewhere between Liverpool and Northern France

although, Buenos Aires is still a major possibility...  :duno:

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2010, 06:05:08 PM »

CBS... (:;) :knuckles:
I know.  Even Survivor hides its finalists better than TAR. :groan: