Author Topic: After 16 seasons, will an all-female team finally win the race?  (Read 27671 times)

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
Re: After 16 seasons, will an all-female team finally win the race?
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 03:39:42 PM »

While some of this is true, some of it has also been proven false.

Hands up everybody who thought Dustin and Kandice would turn out to be another dumb blonde team *raises hand*

If anything, the bimbo stereotype has been destroyed by the race (sans Kami and Karli, maybe). And the race has also shown that women can perform just as well as the men. Think about the final four of All Stars, especially, two gay men, two beauty queens, a little person and her cousin, and a frat boy/sorority sister combo. If that doesn't show that all people are created equal, I don't know what does.

I agree. *raises hand*

I actually vividly remember predicting in TAR 10 that Dustin & Kandice would finish in 8th place or lower. I honestly had no clue that they were capable of doing so well, and I certainly didn't pick them as one of my favorites in the beginning, mostly because I compared them to Danielle & Dani, who were kind of annoying and not very strong. However, since the only other race I had seen before TAR 10 was TAR 9, I naturally though every race would happen just as predictably as that one did. Boy did it throw me off when Dustin & Kandice and Lyn & Karlyn went way far and Vipul & Arti fell out in 11th!
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2010, 04:33:10 PM »
No way, otherwise BVM would have said a record was broken this race..
 :res:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2010, 10:34:36 PM »
No way, otherwise BVM would have said a record was broken this race..
 :res:

That's true. He usually can't keep his mouth shut. :lol:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2010, 08:19:35 AM »
I just believe that tasks this time will not be male orented again. I just hope they can just arrange tasks that can be performed by men and by women.

It wold be great to see a Detour involving women oriented tasks and see male teams struggled there...

I just feel that getting Maria & Tiffany-ed is not fair. Not because it was them, but just it is not fair.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2010, 08:49:52 AM »
I just believe that tasks this time will not be male orented again. I just hope they can just arrange tasks that can be performed by men and by women.

It wold be great to see a Detour involving women oriented tasks and see male teams struggled there...

I just feel that getting Maria & Tiffany-ed is not fair. Not because it was them, but just it is not fair.

I think if Maria did more than give love taps to the golf balls and the strength tester, she and Tiffany may well have edged out Brian and Ericka in that leg.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2010, 02:19:23 PM »

I think if Maria did more than give love taps to the golf balls and the strength tester, she and Tiffany may well have edged out Brian and Ericka in that leg.

Agreed. And if they had really been properly prepared for the race (and had properly applied without pressure from producers who wanted them more than they wanted to be on the show themselves), this minor strength task wouldn't have been an issue. I don't think the tasks need to be less difficult. Surely there are plenty of women in America capable of doing much better than Maria & Tiffany. All that needs to be reformed is the casting process. Instead of getting the physically weak "celebrities," try getting average American women who are in shape and are actually a threat to the other teams.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2010, 10:22:26 PM »

Agreed. And if they had really been properly prepared for the race (and had properly applied without pressure from producers who wanted them more than they wanted to be on the show themselves), this minor strength task wouldn't have been an issue. I don't think the tasks need to be less difficult. Surely there are plenty of women in America capable of doing much better than Maria & Tiffany. All that needs to be reformed is the casting process. Instead of getting the physically weak "celebrities," try getting average American women who are in shape and are actually a threat to the other teams.

Imagine how a team full of Rebeccas (From series 6) would do.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2010, 01:43:12 AM »

That would certainly be great! :tup:

Or a team full of Loris (same season) not only would they be ridiculously strong, they'd also provide the great bickering! That's a match made in heaven! :lol:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline misterblah

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2010, 12:36:09 PM »
and if you think about it, very few F/F teams were eliminated because they weren't strong enough or fast enough
Kim and Leslie - got lost on the streets of Paris
Pat and Brenda - went to the wrong museum
Nancy and Emily - quit the detour and recieved a 24 hour penalty
Deidre and Hillary - were just unlucky to always be in back of the pack
Peggy and Claire - bad flight connection
Mary and Peach - got lost in Hong Kong
Gina and Sylvia - suffered a similar fate to Deidre and Hillary, unlucky to be in back of pack
Heather and Eve - misread a clue resulting in a 30ish minute penalty and their elimination
Monica and Sheree - fell behind at a luck based detour and couldn't catch up
Tian and Jaree - were the first to be eliminated because a task was primarily for guys
Charla and Mirna - bad flights, couldn't catch up
Kami and Karli - fell behind at the detour, couldn't catch up
Linda and Karen - eliminated due to male oriented task, but were the reason for the rule of no team member can perform more than 6 Roadblocks
Meredith and Maria - stick shift FAIL
Lena and Kristy - were very unlucky at the Hay Bale Roadblock, but apparently missed 4 clues, so they're not observant either
Megan and Heidi - stuck at the back of the pack
Debbie and Bianca - got lost in Chile
Godlewski Family - couldn't build a teepee, or find golf balls along a golf course
Lisa and Joni - stuck in the back
Wanda and Desiree - I'm not sure, because I haven't seen this episode (or most of this season...)
Danielle and Dani - Yielded
Kellie and Jamie - had trouble aiming in the Roadblock
Dustin and Kandice - too far behind to catch up to everyone else
Lyn and Karlyn - got a bad flight on the final leg
Dustin and Kandice/ Charla and Mirna - beat out in the end by a luckier team at the final task
Kate and Pat - too slow in the Netherlands
Mariana and Julia - inadvertently helped the team that ended up eliminating them
Shana and Jennifer - had trouble on the Roadblock and then got lost on top of that
Marisa and Brooke - got lost in New Zealand
Kelly and Christy - the number detour did them in
Christie and Jodi - got lost in Russia and couldn't make up the NEL penalty in India
Kisha and Jen - pee break, and it didn't help that they got lost a couple hours, as well as U-turned
Cara and Jaime - out-smarted at the final task which was a memory task
Maria and Tiffany - weren't strong enough at either Detour, one of only 3 or 4 F/F teams to fall due to a "male bias"
Totally agree. To date, no all-female team were ever eliminated on the first leg which tells us a F/F team are strong enough to last at least one leg.

Offline nathandg0924

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2010, 11:00:20 PM »
and if you think about it, very few F/F teams were eliminated because they weren't strong enough or fast enough
Kim and Leslie - got lost on the streets of Paris
Pat and Brenda - went to the wrong museum
Nancy and Emily - quit the detour and recieved a 24 hour penalty
Deidre and Hillary - were just unlucky to always be in back of the pack
Peggy and Claire - bad flight connection
Mary and Peach - got lost in Hong Kong
Gina and Sylvia - suffered a similar fate to Deidre and Hillary, unlucky to be in back of pack
Heather and Eve - misread a clue resulting in a 30ish minute penalty and their elimination
Monica and Sheree - fell behind at a luck based detour and couldn't catch up
Tian and Jaree - were the first to be eliminated because a task was primarily for guys
Charla and Mirna - bad flights, couldn't catch up
Kami and Karli - fell behind at the detour, couldn't catch up
Linda and Karen - eliminated due to male oriented task, but were the reason for the rule of no team member can perform more than 6 Roadblocks
Meredith and Maria - stick shift FAIL
Lena and Kristy - were very unlucky at the Hay Bale Roadblock, but apparently missed 4 clues, so they're not observant either
Megan and Heidi - stuck at the back of the pack
Debbie and Bianca - got lost in Chile
Godlewski Family - couldn't build a teepee, or find golf balls along a golf course
Lisa and Joni - stuck in the back
Wanda and Desiree - I'm not sure, because I haven't seen this episode (or most of this season...)
Danielle and Dani - Yielded
Kellie and Jamie - had trouble aiming in the Roadblock
Dustin and Kandice - too far behind to catch up to everyone else
Lyn and Karlyn - got a bad flight on the final leg
Dustin and Kandice/ Charla and Mirna - beat out in the end by a luckier team at the final task
Kate and Pat - too slow in the Netherlands
Mariana and Julia - inadvertently helped the team that ended up eliminating them
Shana and Jennifer - had trouble on the Roadblock and then got lost on top of that
Marisa and Brooke - got lost in New Zealand
Kelly and Christy - the number detour did them in
Christie and Jodi - got lost in Russia and couldn't make up the NEL penalty in India
Kisha and Jen - pee break, and it didn't help that they got lost a couple hours, as well as U-turned
Cara and Jaime - out-smarted at the final task which was a memory task
Maria and Tiffany - weren't strong enough at either Detour, one of only 3 or 4 F/F teams to fall due to a "male bias"
Totally agree. To date, no all-female team were ever eliminated on the first leg which tells us a F/F team are strong enough to last at least one leg.

Yeah, There are many F/F teams that are good enough but gets eliminated usually because of such difficult tasks (Not necessarily "Male biases") or getting lost, or bad luck

But there were some strong female teams that could last several legs

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2010, 12:31:46 PM »

Sadly, an all-female team coming in last place on the first leg has already happened (Deidre/Hilary & Gina/Sylvia during TAR2 and TAR3, respectively).  Still, thirteen out of fifteen seasons sans a F/F team finishing last does say something (even if many of them were either close or were booted in the second leg).

FTR, there were twice as many all-male teams eliminated first since Day One.  Although one couldn't really count TAR10 as it was a non-traditional Philimination; however, Derek/Drew were almost booted first in their season, so again, you never know what could happen.  Any given day the best team could bow out rapidly while someone else could make a run.
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2010, 12:44:52 PM »

Sadly, an all-female team coming in last place on the first leg has already happened (Deidre/Hilary & Gina/Sylvia during TAR2 and TAR3, respectively).  Still, thirteen out of fifteen seasons sans a F/F team finishing last does say something (even if many of them were either close or were booted in the second leg).

FTR, there were twice as many all-male teams eliminated first since Day One.  Although one couldn't really count TAR10 as it was a non-traditional Philimination; however, Derek/Drew were almost booted first in their season, so again, you never know what could happen.  Any given day the best team could bow out rapidly while someone else could make a run.

Well, Maria & Tiffany were also last in the first leg... :hides:

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2010, 01:19:27 AM »
I'm going to have to argue that TAR does cast competent female racers.
The main problem: they're usually paired up with a guy to ensure their strength in the race.

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2010, 01:22:59 AM »
I believe one day a f/f team will win just not this season. There are some stronger m/f and m/m teams I see pulling out the win at the end.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2010, 09:00:43 PM »

Theoretically they were not last as Eric & Lisa were eliminated before them

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2010, 06:44:09 PM »

Theoretically they were not last as Eric & Lisa were eliminated before them

Yes, but not a traditional elimination point by any means. I don't think you can count it for that reason. Plus, I doubt Eric & Lisa would have been less competent than Maria & Tiffany at guiding the tourists to the Pit Stop.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2010, 12:40:57 AM »
Why do all the all-female team winning threads have to become a Dustin and Kandice discussion? :res:

Dustin and Kandice were the only team who came close to it... but alot of times all-female teams could have a good run but ran out of luck. So it doesn't mean Dustin and Kandice did well and they are seen as the "strongest all-female team".

Who knows Momily could have gone on to win if they didn't take the 24 hrs Detour penalty.
Who knows Mary and Peach could have gone on to win if they didn't get eliminated in HK (they were doing really well before that)
Who knows Heather and Eve might win if they didn't get eliminated due to a stupid 30min penalty
Who knows Tian and Jaree might go on and win if they beat Reichen and Chip (gender discrimination RB)
Who knows Linda and Karen might win if they actually beat C/C at the Roadblock (gender discrimination RB)
Who knows Charla and Mirna might win if they didn't take the slower flight in Tanzania (yes, no? don't know if the info's correct)
Who knows Lena and Kristy might go on and win if they didn't get Haybaled out.
Who knows Debbie and Bianca might win if they didn't drive 2 hours in the wrong direction.
Who knows Godlewski might win if they didn't bicker so much, lol.
Who knows Dustin and Kandice might win if they didn't have their bad karma for Yielding the Bamas. (LOL)
Lyn and Karlyn hardly had any chances of winning even if they are on the same flight with Roberly and Tyler and James, the finale was crazy running through many blocks... and the Bamas can't beat the other 2 more physical teams.
Who knows Dustin and Kandice and Charla and Mirna can't even beat Danielle at a RB.. if not one of the 2 teams might go on and win.
Who knows Kelly and Christy might go on and win if they beat Andrew and Dan in India.
Who knows Cara and Jaime or Kisha and Jen might win if one didn't stop for the toilet or if Jaime didn't get so much back taxi karma. Heck, even Christie and Jodi had the potential to win.
Maria and Tiff, IMO.. had hardly any chances to win. They were weak and... i had no idea why they were the only female team representative on TAR 15.

My point here is that TAR must have given a lot of thought to the all-female teams they cast on the show because almost every season, we really have an all-female team who look like they can do really well but ran out of luck/made too big a mistake and resulted in their elimination. Some of them which i listed above, have showed their potential that they can actually win... But... sigh.

I'm still looking forward to the day. TARA took 1 season... TAR is taking around... 17, if an all-female team doesn't win this season. The only team i'm pinning my hopes on for season 16 is Carol and Brandy.. although the Black Sisters looked like they have got some potential as well.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2010, 06:17:51 AM »
Yes, but not a traditional elimination point by any means. I don't think you can count it for that reason. Plus, I doubt Eric & Lisa would have been less competent than Maria & Tiffany at guiding the tourists to the Pit Stop.

They may not also be able to do the first roadblock anyhow

Eric and Lisa have been married for over 18 years.  Both are vegans who have a passionate and fiery approach to their personal and professional lives and are extremely dedicated to helping others.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2010, 10:36:26 AM »

OMG, I'LL ROOT FOR THAT TEAM ANYTIME.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2010, 12:45:31 PM »
Maria and Tiff, IMO.. had hardly any chances to win. They were weak and... i had no idea why they were the only female team representative on TAR 15.

Because the race course that season was almost entirely centered exclusively around their skills. They were intended to win. I don't care if you say the route is planned before the teams are cast. It's still possible to make the race and then cast a team with all the right advantages afterward. The order it's done in doesn't really matter.

Oh, and by the way: This season the course seems very obviously Jet & Cord-centered. Hopefully that changes, or the entertainment of animal tasks in general will wear down pretty quickly.

DavidJunior

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2010, 03:05:09 PM »
i was SO pissed with Nancy and Emily in S1

if they made it past that leg, they were almost a sure bet in making it to the F3 since they still had the Roadblock on hand, which would've left Kevin and Drew out in the cold in Thailand all by themselves.

and who knows, they could have gotten even better taxi luck than Rob and Brennan in New York.  And then we wouldn't need a thread like this because a F/F team won in season 1!

but hindsight is 20/20 i guess...  how were they supposed to know that Joe and Bill made that big mistake?

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2010, 11:00:46 PM »
My point here is that TAR must have given a lot of thought to the all-female teams they cast on the show because almost every season, we really have an all-female team who look like they can do really well but ran out of luck/made too big a mistake and resulted in their elimination. Some of them which i listed above, have showed their potential that they can actually win... But... sigh.

That's exactly why the winning F/F threads turn to Dustin & Kandice because they were the first "capable" (physically fit and competitive) F/F team to not make big mistakes or have bad luck. That's what makes them slightly superior to me, that they survived the F/F curse. After S10 this also applied to Charla & Mirna, Kisha & Jen (ignoring the potty break and getting lost in China), Cara & Jaime (ignoring getting lost in China).
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline kwando1313

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2010, 11:25:42 AM »
Naw... Only one team didn't get lost in China: Tammy and Victor, and they speak Mandarin in China. If they got lost, that would be very sad.

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2010, 12:16:50 PM »
Naw... Only one team didn't get lost in China: Tammy and Victor, and they speak Mandarin in China. If they got lost, that would be very sad.

At least we aren't still lost in China!!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2010, 12:22:31 PM »
Hi Luke!! :waves:

That would be a whole new TV show! :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.