Author Topic: Caite is 20 not 21...  (Read 7253 times)

Offline misterblah

• RFF Jr. Member
Caite is 20 not 21...
« on: January 26, 2010, 03:06:23 PM »
I thought tar rules stated that you must be at least 21 to participate. What's going on?

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
Re: Caite is 20 not 21...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 03:19:28 PM »
Maybe they made a "pseudo-celebrity" exception. :lol:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 04:06:34 PM »
I noticed about that, but just thought that she would be 21 by the time she raced? I don't find any other reason...

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 04:22:45 PM »
They allowed her? I'm really unsure about that! But Hooky's probably right
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline cssmithvt

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 10:20:34 PM »

Any known reason for the 21 rule? Could be that they had everything mapped out and made an exception. I know one of the earlier seasons had a challenge that involved vodka (might have been a FF?) but haven't seen anything that would be an issue otherwise.

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 10:24:24 PM »

Any known reason for the 21 rule? Could be that they had everything mapped out and made an exception. I know one of the earlier seasons had a challenge that involved vodka (might have been a FF?) but haven't seen anything that would be an issue otherwise.

First, I though she was turning 21 during filming. Second, drinking age limits are different in other countries, so it probably wouldn't even matter.

Talking about the vodka in Russia (i think), its only 18.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age

Offline cssmithvt

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 11:00:17 PM »

First, I though she was turning 21 during filming. Second, drinking age limits are different in other countries, so it probably wouldn't even matter.

Talking about the vodka in Russia (i think), its only 18.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age

I realized that as I posted but I continued because I figured that even though that's the case, CBS may have not wanted to deal with any of the possible outcry that could come of an underage (by home country standards) person drinking on national TV, even if it's legal in the country they are in.

While you are correct, I think there's more to it than actual legality.

Offline inomu

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 02:51:01 AM »
In some countries there is a rule that a car driver who is from abroad must be 21 or over. Also many car rental companies have this rule.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 06:04:32 AM »
But if the partner is above 21 that shouldn't be an issue.

I applied for TARA3, I was 20 and applied with a 24-year-old friend. The reason they gave was insurance and that they were worried that my parents might sue the show if I got hurt.

Offline nathandg0924

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 07:43:59 AM »
She had a special privilege or she became 21 by the time of the race

Offline annie367

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 08:00:06 AM »
According to her facebook, her birthday is March 27.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 01:39:47 PM »
Thanks Annie. We do have a rule here though that any info from FB is private, and not shared here without the racer's permission.

But since that info is widely available elsewhere, prob okay. In this case. ;)

She will become 21 while the show is airing. She was not 21 while the race was running and says as much in their intro video. Production wanted her, they have all the the discretion in the world.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 03:25:24 PM »
Not that I have a problem with Caite being on, but IMO, kind of makes production look like hypocrites since they're completely against having another all-star season, in favor of regular, ordinary people.  But, as mentioned, it's their call, and I like the idea of having her on the show (ditto Jordan and Jeff), based on everything, I think she'll be entertaining along with Brent (which is what counts).  Sucks that some people dislike "stunt" casting or whatever, but I don't mind it at all.
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline annie367

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 03:52:29 PM »
Thanks Annie. We do have a rule here though that any info from FB is private, and not shared here without the racer's permission.

It's on her Facebook Just Fans Page, which anyone can see.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 05:16:11 PM »
Not that I have a problem with Caite being on, but IMO, kind of makes production look like hypocrites since they're completely against having another all-star season, in favor of regular, ordinary people.  But, as mentioned, it's their call, and I like the idea of having her on the show (ditto Jordan and Jeff), based on everything, I think she'll be entertaining along with Brent (which is what counts).  Sucks that some people dislike "stunt" casting or whatever, but I don't mind it at all.

revengefullycreative,

Let's keep our terms straight. To me an All-Star season is composed of past Amazing Race teams named as All-Stars even though some (particularly me) would disagree with a few of the choices. AR16 is in no way an All-Star season. If it were, I would not be planning to watch it.

A Celebrity season is like Celebrity Apprentice where all the individuals competing are supposed to be Celebrities. God help us if that ever turns up on the Amazing Race! What has happened in the past is that a sprinkling of celebrities is in the cast. Examples of this are:

AR4 Jon and Al, circus performers
AR5 Allison, a Big Brother graduate
AR7 Rob and Amber, Survivor second place and winner and Kelly, a former Miss South Carolina 2002
AR10 and AR11 Dustin and Kandice, Miss California 2005 and Miss New York 2005
AR13 Ken, a former NFL player

Now let's look at AR16:
Caitlin Upton, Miss Teen South Carolina
Jordan Lloyd, Big Brother 11 winner
Jeff Schroeder, Big Brother  11 second place

So, AR16 equals the highest number of celebrities in any prior Amazing Race, three. I say that is not within light years of AR16 being a Celebrity race. I dislike the casting of celebrities, as I would rather see real people. However, World Race Productions and CBS have the right to improve Amazing Race ratings with some celebrities.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 06:32:13 PM »
Not that I have a problem with Caite being on, but IMO, kind of makes production look like hypocrites since they're completely against having another all-star season, in favor of regular, ordinary people.  But, as mentioned, it's their call, and I like the idea of having her on the show (ditto Jordan and Jeff), based on everything, I think she'll be entertaining along with Brent (which is what counts).  Sucks that some people dislike "stunt" casting or whatever, but I don't mind it at all.

revengefullycreative,

Let's keep our terms straight. To me an All-Star season is composed of past Amazing Race teams named as All-Stars even though some (particularly me) would disagree with a few of the choices. AR16 is in no way an All-Star season. If it were, I would not be planning to watch it.

A Celebrity season is like Celebrity Apprentice where all the individuals competing are supposed to be Celebrities. God help us if that ever turns up on the Amazing Race! What has happened in the past is that a sprinkling of celebrities is in the cast. Examples of this are:

AR4 Jon and Al, circus performers
AR5 Allison, a Big Brother graduate
AR7 Rob and Amber, Survivor second place and winner and Kelly, a former Miss South Carolina 2002
AR10 and AR11 Dustin and Kandice, Miss California 2005 and Miss New York 2005
AR13 Ken, a former NFL player

Now let's look at AR16:
Jeff Schroeder, Big Brother  11 second place

So, AR16 equals the highest number of celebrities in any prior Amazing Race, three. I say that is not within light years of AR16 being a Celebrity race. I dislike the casting of celebrities, as I would rather see real people. However, World Race Productions and CBS have the right to improve Amazing Race ratings with some celebrities.

What I don't get is how they even think having celebrities will help the ratings. It seems that most people (with the exception of Jeff & Jordan fans) are opposed to celebrities being on the race. Or am I reading opinions incorrectly? ???
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline annie367

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 07:01:03 PM »

Now let's look at AR16:
Jeff Schroeder, Big Brother  11 second place

Jeff didn't win second place. Natalie did. Jeff won America's favorite. Both Jeff and Jordan don't think they are celebs at all.

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 07:27:47 PM »
AR 15 had five "celebrities" then.  Two poker players and two basketball players and a Miss America.

Although I don't really consider most of those mentioned above celebrities at all.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 07:55:59 PM »
And two country singers, :lol: It is all in your definition.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 01:53:58 AM »
I guess some people might consider Steve a celebrity also, as he is a baseball coach.
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 06:23:42 PM »
I guess some people might consider Steve a celebrity also, as he is a baseball coach.

Yep. I do.

DavidJunior

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 07:13:26 PM »

Don't forget the two Rodeo stars :P

Offline cssmithvt

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 03:04:05 AM »
I was looking up B.J. and Tyler on wikipedia since I just saw their audition tape on YouTube (which was well over the 3 minutes limit? not sure if there was a limit for TAR 9 auditions) and noticed at the end of B.J.'s wikipedia page that he's an aspiring actor and in 2005 (prior to his '06 TAR appearance) was in two multimedia productions...one movie (never heard of it) and an episode (as an extra) on CSI...

so add him to the (unfortunately) ever-growing list of TAR alum who are pseudo-celebs ;)

Also, Tyler was (once again, according to wikipedia) also in a Movie (albeit shortly after their appearance). Didn't know it till now, but apparently he was the hippy who steals Will Smith's bone density scanner in Pursuit of Happiness. Also, this is prior to getting on TAR:
In 2004, MacNiven walked the length of Japan over 145 days. He created a one-hour documentary of the trek, titled Kintaro Walks Japan. MacNiven cited three reasons for the journey. On his first trip to the country in 2002, he fell in love with the country and had to return. It was on this trip that a friend nicknamed him "Kintaro," which means "Golden Boy," because of his blond hair. MacNiven also hoped to find his father's birthplace in Hokkaidō, where his parents had been Presbyterian ministers for two years. Lastly, MacNiven hoped to impress a girl, Ayumi Meegan, whose parents George Meegan and Yoshiko Matsumoto recorded the longest unbroken walk in recorded history, spanning 19,019 miles.[8]

Unable to find a distributor for the documentary of the trek, MacNiven burned 1,000 DVDs and began hawking copies of the film on the streets of San Francisco and at a restaurant his father owns. One day, George Strompolos, an executive from the nearby Google campus, dropped by. “Dad showed the movie to him,” MacNiven said. “He watched it and said, ‘This is exactly what we need.’” Today roughly 500 people watch the film every day at Google Video.[9]

Honestly, this is a case where I don't mind since they are one of my favorite TAR teams yet...

(no idea if these have been brought up in other threads)

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 04:40:35 AM »

Now let's look at AR16:
Jeff Schroeder, Big Brother  11 second place

Jeff didn't win second place. Natalie did. Jeff won America's favorite. Both Jeff and Jordan don't think they are celebs at all.

They will have been on two Reality shows in less than a year. The Amazing Race is an Emmy award winning program. So even if they do not think they are celebs that is what they have become. Also, I thought I read somewhere that Jeff wanted to be an actor and had some work a couple of years ago.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 04:48:35 AM by Sailing »