Author Topic: TAR 16: Steve Smith and Allie Smith--Father/Daughter  (Read 26871 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR 16: Steve Smith and Allie Smith--Father/Daughter
« on: January 21, 2010, 01:07:11 PM »
Steve and Allison

Father/Daughter

Steve Smith
Hometown: Encinitas, Calif.
Connection to your Teammate: Father
Current Occupation: Professional Baseball Coach (Cleveland Indians), World Series Champion Coach (2008 Philadelphia Phillies)
Pet peeve about your teammate: She's a very talented person but occasionally lacks the confidence in her God-given abilities
Favorite Hobbies: Golfing, swimming and working out
Achievements: Getting my degree, getting married, having my kids and winning the World Series
Lifelong to do List: Continue to enjoy life
If I could switch places with someone: My son Garrett who is living the good life in college
Role Model/Hero: My Mom and Dad who are still living life to the fullest
What are you passionate about? My family
What would you do if you won the million dollars? I would treat each of my family members and friends to something special
People would be surprised to learn: It took me 20 years in professional baseball before I finally made it to the big leagues
Favorite place you have ever visited: Encinitas. That's why I live here
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together: Not getting lost because we tend to get lost in our own neighborhood
What do you hope to accomplish by running the Race (other than winning one million bucks)? Making memories with my daughter that will last forever

Allie Smith
Hometown: Encinitas, Calif.
Connection to your Teammate: Daughter
Current Occupation: Marketing
Pet peeve about your teammate: He’s always late and likes to embarrass me
Favorite Hobbies: Traveling, dancing and golf
Achievements: Receiving my B.A. from Pepperdine University in Public Relations
Lifelong to do List: Find a job that I'm passionate about, create new adventures every day, get married and have a family
If I could switch places with someone: Phil Keoghan. Talk about a job I'd be passionate about
Role Model/Hero: My parents. My mom is the backbone of our family and such a strong woman. My Dad encourages me to pursue my dreams everyday
What are you passionate about? My relationship with God, Pepperdine, baseball, golf, dance, traveling the world, spending time with family and friends and fantasy football
What would you do if you won the million dollars? Do some traveling and invest it for my future
People would be surprised to learn: My father is a World Series-winning professional baseball coach, but during the only year I played baseball (8th grade) I made it to first base once and was promptly picked off
Favorite place you have ever visited: Malibu -- I have amazing memories there
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together:  Not having mom around. She does everything for us
What do you hope to accomplish by running the Race (other than winning one million bucks)? To meet all kinds of people around the world and have tons of fun with my Dad.  I’m planning to have THE AMAZING RACE theme song as the Father/Daughter dance at my wedding

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 16: Steve Smith and Allie Smith--Father/Daughter
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 08:28:28 PM »
They are so cute. My favourite Father/Daughter yet by far!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 09:50:37 AM »
This TAR cast is really like an all-stars: this season I can find many of my fave teams!! I'm also loving them, and just hope they can do even better than Gary & Matt. F5?

Offline RealityFanWA

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 03:39:06 PM »
This TAR cast is really like an all-stars: this season I can find many of my fave teams!! I'm also loving them, and just hope they can do even better than Gary & Matt. F5?

I agree...I'm a big sports fan and so it's nice to see David on the show because I remember when the Cards won it all!!

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 06:03:16 PM »
These two seem like they will be fun to watch! Can't wait to see Steve make friends with all the younger racers. :lol:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline RealityFanWA

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 03:41:13 PM »
These two seem like they will be fun to watch! Can't wait to see Steve make friends with all the younger racers. :lol:

I'm sure he will make "friends" alright haha...heck, i would wanna be his friend for the job connections haha...i love sports!! haha

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 08:12:46 PM »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 02:22:26 PM »
What happened to these two? Did they get eliminated? I'm not sure. They need more airtime. They are the team I'm least familiar with so far, less than even Dana & Adrian.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 03:55:11 PM »
The editors hate them  (:;)

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 12:41:53 PM »
Nice interview here. http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100225&content_id=8138078&vkey=news_cle&fext=.jsp&c_id=cle

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- The lure of winning a million bucks had to be appealing, even if the odds seemed insurmountable.

The temptation to be on TV? Nonexistent, really.

The thrill of traveling to foreign lands? Sure, that sounded pretty sweet.

But for third-base coach Steve Smith, these reasons, which some people might cite as their incentives to be on the CBS reality show "The Amazing Race," were nothing compared to the simple goal of building up a father-daughter bond.

Smith, following a World Series win as a member of the Phillies' coaching staff in 2008, was unemployed last season. His 23-year-old daughter, Allie, thought her dad's rare sabbatical might be the perfect time to apply for the show.

"My son [Garrett] was always with me in the dugouts and at the ballpark," Smith said. "He was actually in uniform and in the dugout when we won the Series. My daughter wasn't jealous of it, but it was like, 'You have a story with him, Dad. I want a story with you.' So I went for it."

He went for it not expecting to be selected.

"I was just trying to be a good dad," he said.

But the producers of the show, perhaps intrigued by the coach's baseball background and/or enamored with the father-daughter dynamic, selected the Smiths to be one of 11 teams on the show's 16th season, which began airing on Feb. 14.

On the show, the teams of two follow clues and race around the world using various forms of transportation. The short-term goal is to avoid being the last team to reach each episode's "pit stop," which can lead to elimination. The long-term goal is to be the first team to reach the final stop, because that comes with a $1 million prize.

Filming for the latest season began last fall, mere days after Smith signed on to join manager Manny Acta's staff as the Tribe's third-base and infield coach.

Suddenly, Smith realized some of the implications of his endeavor.

"When you're coaching third base, you're out there [near the fans]," Smith said. "If you do something stupid on the show, you're never going to hear the end of it."

But Smith, 57, knew his baseball career could also come in handy. He had played seven seasons as a Minor Leaguer in the Padres system in the late 1970s and early 1980s, and, over the past 25 years, he had been a coach or manager at the Major or Minor League levels for the Padres, Mariners, Brewers, Rangers and Phils.

Along the way he learned a thing or two about performing under duress.

"I had been in the Minors for 20 years on buses and not getting sleep and all that," he said. "And coaching third base, I've been under that kind of pressure where things are happening fast. It helps because I can calm down and relax a little bit and not panic."

Then he joked, "The only time I was out of my element was when I had to use my brain."

Smith's baseball smarts caught Acta's interest this offseason. Among other projects, the Indians are trying to tighten their infield defense, and Smith would appear to have the tools to help. Under his tutelage as an infield coach, Mark Teixeira, Alex Rodriguez and Jimmy Rollins won a total of six Gold Glove Awards.

When it comes to baseball, nothing in Smith's career compares with the experience of winning the '08 Series.

"You grind every day, game by game, and you don't get to appreciate it until afterward," he said. "Then when you get a ring three or four months later, you look back and go, wow, that's a goal you had your whole life. It's well worth the wait. It was quite an experience."

And yet, he said, the experience on "The Amazing Race" might have been just as, if not more, fulfilling, because it was definitely once-in-a-lifetime material.

So how did Steve and Allie fare? Well, you'll have to tune in to the show, which airs at 8 p.m. ET on Sundays, to find out.

Not even Smith's wife, Angie, knows the end result. Reality TV is a lot like jury duty that way.

"We couldn't talk to her when we were on the race," Smith said. "She's watching it just like everybody else and saying, 'Did you win?' But our goal was to not be the first ones off."

The viewing public already knows that the Smiths achieved that goal. Steve and Allie finished fourth and seventh, respectively, in the first two legs of the race, which took them to South America and had them completing such tasks as walking across a cable wire 120 feet above ground, painting a house and milking a cow.

Though Smith can't say if he won the million, he can say he had a blast.

"[Doing the show] was never about the money," he said. "It was just about enjoying the time. And to do it with my daughter was so special. It's the best thing I ever did. Not too many people can do this, and that's why they call it 'amazing,' because it was."

Anthony Castrovince is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 12:48:09 PM by walkingpneumonia »
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 04:41:02 PM »
Smiths eliminated from 'The Amazing Race'
Father-daughter team enjoyed experience despite ending

By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com

04/05/10 2:01 PM ET

CHICAGO -- The race is over for Indians' third-base coach Steve Smith and his daughter Allie.

The Smiths were eliminated from the CBS reality hit "The Amazing Race" in Sunday night's episode. They had finished in first place the previous week. But they had some trouble in the eighth leg of the race in Malaysia, where they put their faith in a taxi driver who had trouble finding their destination and then ditched them completely, causing them to fall behind their competition.

The show was shot in November and December, shortly after Smith accepted the job with the Tribe. The pomp and circumstance of Opening Day at least took some of the sting out of reliving the elimination experience.

"One bad cab driver and you're out," Smith said. "That day, you didn't really know the stakes. In other shows, you could make mistakes and make up for it. But the cab driver just got us so far behind that we just couldn't catch up."

Smith, 57, was forbidden all spring from telling teammates and family and friends -- even his wife -- his fate on the show. So when the Smiths finished in first last week, there was false hope that they might be closing in on the million-dollar prize.

"That was the hard thing," Smith said. "All of our friends knew we were doing so well last week and finished in first, and they thought there was no way we could be eliminated so fast. There's no advantage to being first because you start in the same spot."

In the end, though, Steve and Allie accomplished their goal of spending quality time together. They also pocketed $7,000 each and all the 7-Up they can drink for finishing first last week.

"We had fun," Smith said. "We said going into the show it's going to be about having a good time and traveling, and that's what we did. We never got caught up in the million dollars."

Anthony Castrovince is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100405&content_id=9081236&vkey=news_cle&fext=.jsp&c_id=cle

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 07:07:01 PM »
With them out I only have one favorite team left. Out of 6 favorites. :(

Offline everbloom

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 01:19:43 AM »
I wish they had gotten a lot MORE airtime before they were eliminated. They're the most invisible team on TAR that I know of!!  (:;)
TAR 17:
Brook/Claire, Nat/Kat, Jill/Thomas

TARA 4
Richard/Richard, Claire/Michelle, Dimple/Sunaina

OMG!! I finally found the cowboys' Facebook fan page!![/url]

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 02:41:25 AM »
I wish they had gotten a lot MORE airtime before they were eliminated. They're the most invisible team on TAR that I know of!!  (:;)

Nope. That award goes to Anthony & Stephanie. You probably don't remember them. :lol3:

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 06:24:05 AM »
I wish they had gotten a lot MORE airtime before they were eliminated. They're the most invisible team on TAR that I know of!!  (:;)

Nope. That award goes to Anthony & Stephanie. You probably don't remember them. :lol3:

Yes, who were they?  :duno:

Offline everbloom

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 08:29:19 AM »

I actually think A/S are rather boring. Steve/Allie were rather interesting and some editors didn't really see that. I actually hated the overemphasis on J/J and B/C (aka the idiots)
TAR 17:
Brook/Claire, Nat/Kat, Jill/Thomas

TARA 4
Richard/Richard, Claire/Michelle, Dimple/Sunaina

OMG!! I finally found the cowboys' Facebook fan page!![/url]

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 10:05:52 AM »
I liked them, especially in the last two episodes where they were featured more.  I even got to chat on-line with Allie yesterday over at fancast.com.  She seemed like a nice sweet gal.  Her dad couldn't particpate since he was coaching third base for the Indians at the exact same time of the chat. 

Here were some of my questions.

What most surprised you about how the Race is actually run? 
Monday April 5, 2010 2:33 pedaler

2:34  Allie: We didn't always stay in nice places. I always assumed we would be staying in great places but sometimes we stayed in rotten hotels and stuff. 
Monday April 5, 2010 2:34 Allie

How far behind the brothers were you at the final pit stop in Malaysia? 
Monday April 5, 2010 2:34 pedaler

2:35  Allie: I honestly don't know. 
Monday April 5, 2010 2:35 Allie

Could you describe a little bit about the flag detour in Malaysia? 
Monday April 5, 2010 2:43 pedaler

2:44  Allie: They were about 32 feet flag polls that were something like 30 lbs. The wind was blowing and you had to balence them on your forehead. It was hard. I didn't think I could do it. 

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 09:00:13 PM »
At the start of the leg, Steve & Allie went to the Berjaya Hotel Praslin for information. Berjaya is an Malaysian hotel company...

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 02:01:24 AM »

Yes, who were they?  :duno:

If you were serious (which I actually wouldn't be surprised if you were), they finished in 10th place in TAR 13. I heard from somwhere (probably here) that on Leg 1 the producers had lost some of their footage, so it could only show them when they were with the other teams. That would have been part of the reason for their lack of airtime.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 07:29:33 AM »
Could someone please help with pulling in all Steve and Allie's exit Interviews?? I would appreciate the help!! Thanks!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 08:02:58 AM »
Someone else will have to post the BuddyTV one but here's a couple:

Amazing Race's Steve and Allie: Elimination "Hard to Swallow"

After a winning leg in the Seychelles (at the expense of losing their bags), the father-daughter duo Steve and Allie Smith ran a muddled leg in Malaysia and were eliminated on Sunday's Amazing Race. "Being in sports, that's what happens sometimes. You have a great day one day and a horrible one the next," Steve, the Cleveland Indians third base coach, tells TVGuide.com. "I'm not saying we were the best team, but we were good and we felt like we were on a roll and had a good opportunity to win. One little thing knocks you out." In this case, it was multiple, direction-challenged cab drivers. Find out how much time they bled shuffling between Detours, what Allie, 23, blames herself for, and what Steve, 57 — who won a World Series ring with the 2008 Philadelphia Phillies — wishes he had in Malaysia.

TVGuide.com: You started the leg well, but things unraveled after you got out of the cab to run to the temple. Do you regret doing that?

Steve: No, because we were in front of Jordan and Dan, and we met up with our cab halfway, so we had an advantage over them since they had to walk the rest of the way. The problem, of course, was that we all went to the wrong temple. I wish [Dan and Jordan] had stolen our cab because basically the guy had no idea how to get anywhere! Running took about 15 to 20 minutes. We saw Mike and Louie in their cab go by. They actually went to the same [incorrect] temple we went to. We felt we were OK because it was a nice little run and it would get our adrenaline going.

TVGuide.com: You switched Detours to do the flags, which you couldn't do. They didn't show much of you there, but did you spend a long time trying to do it before switching back?

Allie: We definitely spent more time there than they showed. We tried, and it was challenging. The wind was picking up, and the demonstrator had trouble doing it, so it's like, "How am I going to do it?" I mean, the cowboys, they're bull-riders. This is right up their alley. They made it look so easy. It was, like, a 32- or 40-foot-long — I don't know how long it was — flagpole on my head. I couldn't imagine running with that thing!

TVGuide.com: How heavy was it?

Steve: It weighed enough that I don't think your neck could hold it. When it was on my head, I was like, "Wow! I don't think Allie can do it because it's way too hard." ... Allie kind of blames herself, but honestly, I don't even know if I could've done it. When we watch the show and see people switch Detours ... we felt like we should never do that, but we had to. And we originally wanted to go there because we thought anything athletic we'd do, but our first driver didn't know where that was ... When we finally saw the flags, though, it was like, "Whoops!"

TVGuide.com: And then your new cab left you high and dry there.

Steve: [Laughs] Yeah! Some detours are close together, but unfortunately, these two were so far apart. So we had to get a new cab, which took awhile. Even if we found a cab right away, it was 20 minutes to the other place. It was a combination of things. It was strange how we went out. It wasn't because of something we couldn't understand; that was always my fear. ... And you know, Allie and I weren't going to get mad and yell at the drivers because we were guests in their country, and they were trying to do their job.

TVGuide.com: How glad were you to see Dan and Jordan still at the temple when you arrived?

Allie: I was shocked because we went across town, tried the flag, had trouble finding a cab, and they were still there. I guess they had tons of trouble getting there as well. We made up some time on them, but no one made a huge mistake this week. It just shows how luck-based it is when the week before, [teams] one through six were in the exact reverse order. The cowboys could've been out last week and then they had an amazing leg this week.

Steve: Watching the show, some of the other teams struggled with the incense. We did it pretty fast. I think we did it faster than anyone else. When we came out, what a disappointment — we didn't have a cab again! So we lost another 20, 30 minutes. I don't know how far behind we were, timewise.

TVGuide.com: Did you ever get back your bags that you left in the Seychelles?

Allie: Yeah, after we were eliminated in Malaysia, they gave them back. They were always going to give them back [after our run on the show]. We didn't even know they had them. We were just like, "Oh, we lost our bags."

TVGuide.com: Some viewers think maybe it was a good thing you were eliminated since you weren't going to have your bags the rest of the way.

Steve: We were fine because we had less to carry. We had everything we needed. Malaysia was warm. We had our passports, money. If [we were going to be in] cold weather, we had clothes. Louie [offered] his underwear. I was like, "Yeah, thanks. Like I could fit in your underwear anyway!" We bought a few things. We were going to be OK.

TVGuide.com: Did you have duct tape?

Allie: [Laughs] We did not have our duct tape anymore! But after the car incident [in France], we used it all up anyway, so it was gone. It wasn't a huge roll; it was just a small little one.

TVGuide.com: What happened with the car? What did you hit?

Steve: We parked in a busy street to ask for directions. I knew there was a tree with bricks outlaying it, but I couldn't see it. When I backed out, we were in a hurry and I hit it. It was, like, my first accident ever, and it was actually the first car I was ever in that had a beeper. I thought the beeper was my Allie's alarm. I'll tell you what — I wish I had that car in Malaysia! I wish we were allowed to drive there. To lose because of yourself, I can handle it. But to lose because of some guy in Malaysia, that's hard to swallow.

Source : http://www.tvguide.com/News/Amazing-Races-Steve-1016973.aspx?rss=news&partnerid=spi&profileid=05

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 08:06:18 AM »
The Amazing Race 16: Exclusive Interview with Steve and Allie Smith
Posted on 04/06/2010 by Gina in The Amazing Race and Cast Interviews

This week's episode of The Amazing Race took teams from Seychelles to Malaysia, where Steve and Allie faced a tough detour challenge, a frustrating taxi experience, and the inability to make up the time needed in order to continue on to the next leg. They were the last team to arrive at the mat and Phil delivered the bad news that they had been eliminated from race. Today, the pro baseball coach and his daughter spoke to RealityWanted in an exclusive interview about their lack of camera time early on, the alliance that they formed, and their favorite moment on The Amazing Race.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: After so many seasons of The Amazing Race, what made you decide to try out?

A. Allie: I had just started watching the last couple seasons of The Amazing Race. I hadn't seen a father/daughter team. I didn't think they'd call us back. We sent in our video we still can't believe that we made it!

A. Steve: I started watching it with her. It's a classy show. I was like, "Ok I can handle this." I was thinking, "Deep down, there's no way they're gonna pick us." It happened so fast. The next thing we know, we're in LA and then we're in Chile. It moved so fast.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: In the beginning, we never saw you guys. We'd see you run by here and end up at the finish mat there. Were you watching those early episodes saying, "Where the heck are we?"

A. Steve: That's funny! Thank goodness I went to the wrong house or we may not have been seen at all from the start. I would get messages from a lot of our friends and they kept saying the same thing. We weren't very controversial. That was probably one of the main things. We never fought with each other. Allie never cried. I don't know. Maybe it was kinda boring for the show.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: You did run a quiet race and it didn't seem you were working with anybody. Did you form an alliance?

A. Steve: We kind of did. When we got started in L.A., Joe and Heidi were right next to us. We introduced ourselves as we were running. We had an instant connection. We got along good and we never said, "Hey, we're teammates," but we were kind of in an alliance with them.

A. Allie: While you're racing, you're doing your own thing but during down time, we really connected with every team and had a good relationship with everyone.

A. Steve: We finally met Jet and Cord around the 4th episode. People think we all see each other but we don't.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: Speaking of Joe and Heidi, what did you think about the way that they want out of the race, after being U-Turned?

A. Allie: It was unfortunate but it's part of the game. What can you say about that, Dad?

A. Steve: We're sitting here and we saw the U-Turn. We got there and saw the picture. We were sad but we were like, "God, that could've been us." Thank goodness it wasn't us.

A. Allie: We actually thought they‘d get the Morse Code and we weren't that worried.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: Jordan (of Team Dan and Jordan) said that this last leg was the toughest of the entire season. Do you agree with that?

A. Steve: I think it was the toughest because it was so fast.

A. Allie: So much of what happened for us were the taxi drivers. It was a hot and physical leg. We had been at the front of the pack the whole time. It was the hardest leg and led to the end of the race for us.

A. Steve: I thought there would be harder tasks. Getting that cab driver and the flagpole task was frustrating. It was getting windy  and even the experts were having trouble doing it.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: Did you watch the episode back and see Jet and Cord with those flagpoles and wonder how in the world they were able to do that so quickly?

A. Steve: Yeah! I saw it just like everyone else. They don't show much how they did it. They showed the beginning, where they first arrive and the end when they finished. I wanna see what happened in the middle of all that. I still haven't seen all the footage. I'd love to see how they did it.

A. Allie: We definitely tried. It looks like we got there and didn't try. It was 32 foot pole running across a football field. It was such an awkward task.

A. Steve: Allie said, "Those guys are having trouble doing it. They're experts. Why waste our time here?"

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: What is your favorite memory or your favorite leg of the race?

A. Allie: Definitely Seychelles was our favorite leg. We won it, we were in paradise, we got a reward in a huge villa for the day. It was the best prize other than the million.

A. Steve: We live in San Diego and I'm always at the beach. We got to that island and it was gorgeous. It reminded me of Hawaii without the tourist area. It was local and so pretty! It was unbelievable. We're not saying it was our favorite because we won. We're definitely going back to Seychelles. I promised my wife I'd take her.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: What are the two of you up to now?

A. Steve: We had opening day yesterday. I'm in Chicago right now. I watched the show, where we got eliminated, and then we got beat on Monday. It was a losing 24 hours. The race is over but the good thing is that we have 161 more baseball games. I'm doing baseball full time now until October. I'm doing what I love and really enjoying it. With the show and everything, it makes me appreciate life a little bit more. I'm blessed and lucky to do for a living what I love and to do the show with my daughter and experience something that very few people get to do. Life's really good.

A. Allie: I'm currently looking for a job!

A. Steve: You'll find one!

Source : http://www.realitywanted.com/newsitem/3116-the-amazing-race-16-exclusive-interview-with-steve-and-allie-smith

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 09:24:15 AM »
We saw Mike and Louie in their cab go by. They actually went to the same [incorrect] temple we went to.

Verification of RFF spoiler <3.

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 03:51:40 PM »
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/the-amazing-race/exclusive-interview-steve-and-35719.aspx

Exclusive Interview: Steve and Allie from 'The Amazing Race'

It's disappointing to see a team that's done so well on The Amazing Race to be eliminated, more so when you come from first place to last in one leg. Steve and Allie went through just that last week: in the front of the pack for most of the race, they finished first two weeks ago in Seychelles, only to drop to last in Malaysia and get eliminated. You can blame the taxis for that.

It's sad, since they were a really fun team to watch. I got a taste of that when I talked to them--it was good hearing them really have fun with each other. We chatted about those missing backpacks, their relationship with Joe and Heidi, and Allie's plans to dance to the Amazing Race theme song at her wedding.

First off, a question I'm sure everybody's going to ask: did you get your backpacks back?

Steve: We got our backpacks right after we were eliminated in Malaysia.

Who among you were the first to go, "why don't we join The Amazing Race?" Who had to be convinced to join?

Allie: I was the one who said 'Let's apply, I haven't seen a father/daughter team in a while!' My dad said yes, never thinking we would get a call back. He was a little worried doing the show if he was to return to baseball but it winded up being the most incredible experience.

Allie, you previously said you were a huge Phil Keoghan fan. How was it meeting him for the first time in Los Angeles, and in the eight following legs?

Allie: I always thought he had the coolest job in the world and I loved the show. He was such a nice and funny guy who seems like a true family man.

Steve, was there ever a time when you approached the race the same way you approached your baseball career? After all, there are some similarities between the show and the World Series.

Steve: Yes. It was a grind and we took it one step at a time. We ran the race with honor. You are responsible for your own actions, just like in baseball.

You went from first place in the Seychelles to last place in Malaysia, eventually getting the boot. Did you ever blame yourselves for it?

Steve: It was just a case of bad luck and no one else making any mistakes. The order from first to last was literally reversed from the week before which just shows anyone can be out at any time.

Was there anything you wish you've done differently on the race?

Steve: We wish we had a different taxi driver in Malaysia.

Tell me about your relationship with Joe and Heidi. You seem to have found common interests throughout the race, as they told me a few weeks ago. Did you share the same opinion that the other teams, like Louie and Michael, had about them?

Allie: We had a great connection with Joe and Heidi. The fact that Heidi, my dad and I all went to Pepperdine gave us an instant bond. We didn't realize during the race that they had targets on their backs. They are great family people and we truly helped each other out along the race.

Did you also get along well with the other teams?

Steve: We got along great with all the other teams and still talk to everybody. We connected with so many people since we were a male and female team of two different generations.

Of all the places you've been to on the race, which one are you most likely to return to?

Allie: We would love to go back to Seychelles. It was perfect paradise. Some of the top beaches in the world are there and the people were so kind!

Finally, Allie, you said that you wanted to use the Amazing Race theme song as the music to the father-daughter dance at your wedding. Have you both prepared steps for it?

Allie: I'm not getting married any time soon but I'm sure we can act out the funny stuff we did on the race, like painting the wrong house and duct-taping a car. I was originally joking about doing that but I think I will have a touching serious song then turn it into the Amazing Race theme song for fun!

« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 03:57:11 PM by Sailing »

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 03:56:32 PM »
http://www.digitalspy.com/ustv/s66/the-amazing-race/interviews/a212603/steve-and-allie-the-amazing-race.html

Steve and Allie ('The Amazing Race')

Tuesday, April 6 2010, 2:47pm EDT

By Lara Martin, News Editor
After racing to a first-place finish in the Seychelles last week, baseball coach Steve and his daughter Allie Smith realized they had left their all-important backpacks at one of the challenge locations. With no time to turn back, this week saw the duo traveling to Malaysia with just the clothes they were wearing. Unfortunately, their winning streak came to an end when they finished in last place after switching their detour challenge. We caught up with them to chat about the experience.

You finished first last week and ended up being eliminated this week. Can you pinpoint any specific reason or decision for that?
Allie: "I think the biggest thing was just bad luck with taxis and nobody else making a mistake. The week in Malaysia it went the exact opposite in terms of how everybody finished. So the first to sixth was the exact reverse order from the week before. It just shows anybody can be out at any time, it's very luck-based. The cowboys had trouble in the Seychelles and rocked it in Malaysia. We did well in the Seychelles and then had bad luck in Malaysia. It was just our time to go."

Did you know you were falling behind before you reached the pitstop?
Allie: "We definitely knew. It was a short leg and we didn't have much luck. We knew Dan and Jordan weren't that far ahead of us. A lot of people in other legs of the race were making big mistakes and had to go back and fix things. You never know, their car could have broken down but at that point we knew we were at the end of the pack."
Steve: "It was such a quick leg, going to the temple, doing the flags and doing the coconuts. It was so fast, probably the quickest one of all the shows. It was the wrong time to get a bad cab driver!"

Did losing your backpacks affect your morale?
Steve: "No, it actually helped us. We could have gone back and got them but we had our passports, money and clothes for warm weather. If we had had our backpacks it might even have hindered us because the bananas weighed 30lbs and it might have been tougher for Allie to take it a mile and a half. We thought it was a little blessing that we didn't have them, and then we were in Malaysia where it was hot, we had the clothes we needed, and we didn't have to lug around a backpack and were maybe faster and quicker."

Allie, you said you dreamed of traveling the world, and Steve said he had never been overseas before. What was the highlight of the race?
Steve: "Let's say it on three... ready... one, two, three... Seychelles!"
Allie: "We keep talking about how much we love it there. It was the most perfect, beautiful, deserted island. We won the reward there and got to go to our own villa on the beach and explore."
Steve: "We had a little time there to walk around the beach, there was a beautiful golf course. One of the beaches is where they shoot the Sports Illustrated bathing suit thing, the water was green and gorgeous, the people were so nice and kicked back. That's kind of how Allie and I are in life. I couldn't tell my wife where we were, but I told her we were going back somewhere and when the time comes I'd let her know. She's pretty happy to go there and the other places like Germany and France. I'd been down in South America before but I'd never seen the things that were built over 1,000 years earlier. It was really neat to see that and I'll probably end up going back there, too."

So you guys will continue to travel the world together, maybe bring the rest of your family?
Allie: "Yeah. He's always traveling with baseball all over the US and every summer I'd go to wherever he was coaching or playing. I think with our winnings from the first leg finish we should do a family trip. No matter what, we will always have travel!"
Steve: That's one of our things no matter. Even if we couldn't afford it, we took vacations in the winter time and we will continue, and when I have grandkids we'll do the same thing."

You had a close relationship before the race. How has the experience affected that?
Allie: "Like you said, we were best friends and extremely close before the race but now we have all these new memories, experiences and inside jokes that no-one else could ever understand. It's crazy we got to experience this together. We were not more than 20ft apart for a month and that's so rare. I'll always remember seeing the world with my dad."
Steve: "Our bond stayed the same and got stronger when I realized how strong Allie is. Going away to college at Pepperdine and spending four years there, she really grew spiritually and mentally. She never complained. I think that's the coolest thing from the show. When you see other people complaining or crying or upset, I don't think they could find a clip of Allie ever doing that. She was cool, calm and enjoyed the whole process of it. I was really proud of her doing that."

Steve, you said your wife packed the duct tape which you used to fix your car in France. What did she think when she saw that?!
Steve: "With baseball I'm gone a lot so she kind of runs the house. Her brother has his own transmission place so when all the neighborhood guys are round the cars, she's with them and I'm out watching a ball game or something like that. Our roles kind of switch from the stereotypical man and woman! When she put the tape in, she said you never know, this could fix anything. There were three or four different times I was trying to lighten my bag and nearly threw it out. Who would have known it would keep us in the show?! There was no way we would catch up if we couldn't fix the car. She was absolutely shocked when she saw I could actually fix something!"

Will you keep in touch with any of the other teams?
Allie: "We are a male-female team and two different generations, so we really connected with so many people, and even people I wasn't necessarily super close to on the show, I find myself talking to almost every day. I know dad talks to the cops all the time, Cord came up on the field and got to suit up and go in the dug-out with my dad. I visited the brothers and saw Caite. Heidi going to Pepperdine, and Joe, we had a connection to them right away."
Steve: "Being in baseball, I travel everywhere, and where everyone is. I won't be able to go to the last show and see everyone, but I've talked to them. I talked to Adrian who was out in the first show, I'll see him in Texas and he'll go to a game."
Allie: "You can give tickets to everyone when you're near them!"
Steve: "I think that's why they didn't U-Turn us! They knew it would be, 'People, if you like baseball, go ahead and U-Turn us and you'll never see tickets!' That was a running joke between everyone. I'm going to see Michael and Louie in Boston, Shawne and Monique too. I'm in Chicago right now and have a day off so I'm going to see Jeff for dinner tonight. We knew it was a game and people made comments in the heat of the moment. We're not watching the videos saying, 'Oh they said this or that'. We just enjoyed everyone's company. The bond will be strong the rest of our lives."

The Amazing Race continues next Sunday at 8/7c on CBS