Author Topic: TAR 16: Daniel Pious and Jordan Pious--Brothers  (Read 90264 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR 16: Daniel Pious and Jordan Pious--Brothers
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2010, 10:01:03 PM »
reposting this in it's entirety. I think itis important to show that the racers, in lter interviews in particular,  are being somewhat censored by production in what they are and are not allowed to say.

Exclusive: Dan Pious and Jordan Pious talk 'The Amazing Race' win

By Reality TV World staff, 05/10/2010

Although they finished a distant third in The Amazing Race's penultimate sixteenth-season leg, Dan Pious and his brother Jordan Pious never stopped giving the competition their all, and that attitude paid off in the final leg.

Dan, a 24-year-old financial advisor from Barrington, RI, and Jordan, a 22-year-old strategic consultant who currently resides in Atlanta, GA, won The Amazing Race's sixteenth season during last night's finale broadcast of the CBS reality competition.

Dan and Jordan defeated Jet McCoy and his brother Cord McCoy -- who finished second and were better known as "the cowboys" -- and "dating models" Caite Upton and Brent Horne to claim the competition's million dollar prize.

On Monday, Dan and Jordan talked to Reality TV World about their The Amazing Race experience -- including why they were confident their third-place gap wouldn't be a hindrance in the final leg, what they thought their key winning move was, how they feel about Caite's feud with previously eliminated racers Carol Rosenfeld and Brandy Snow, and which racer they allege really "hates gays."

Reality TV World: You guys arrived at the Shanghai Pit Stop more than three hours behind Brent and Caite and almost three hours behind Jet and Cord. 

Jordan Pious: That's right.

Reality TV World: So leaving there, did you think you still had much of a chance of winning at that point or did you figure the other teams were probably already boarding a pre-dawn flight?

Dan Pious: When we left it was about 6AM so almost all airports don't open until then at all.  But one major consistency throughout the Race was that the flights really bunched everyone together, even if you finished in first place.

When we finished in first place in Singapore, we left a couple of hours, because of the Fast Forward, ahead of someone but our flight wasn't for six hours at that until everyone had left the Pit Stop and got on the flight.

Jordan Pious: It's part of the Race.

Dan Pious: It was interesting I felt like this season -- and Jordan can probably speak to this a little more -- but this season kept people bunched up flight-wise most of the time.

Reality TV World: Except for Europe... (laughs)

Jordan Pious: Right, except for Europe.

Dan Pious: Right, exactly.  It's funny you should mention that, that was the one time -- the one flight from South America to Europe -- that was the one time you had to make a flight decision.  Aside from that, everyone was actually on the same exact flights.

Jordan Pious: And then those legs in Europe, which you may have been alluding to as well.

Reality TV World: Yeah, I was talking about [those European legs] where [dating former Big Brother houseguests Jeff Schroeder and Jordan Lloyd] were never had a chance to get [bunched back up] basically.

Jordan Pious: Oh yeah, and those legs in Europe, ["Detectives" Michael Naylor and Louis Stravato] came in first each time because where you started off had a big effect on where you finished.  Really when you eliminate those big transportation -- those big flights or big [train rides] or whatever -- you do tend to have [prior] placement have more of an effect on [the next leg].

Reality TV World: The Race seemed pretty close at the end.  Do you guys have any idea about how far ahead of Jet and Cord you got to the finish line?

Dan Pious: We were ahead of them by about 25 minutes.  Maybe just a little bit more, but about 25 minutes.

Reality TV World: So not that close at all then.

Dan Pious: No, it really wasn't.

Reality TV World: I know you guys had figured it was probably going to be a memory challenge at the end of the Race, but were you surprised how simple it ended up being?

Jordan Pious: Yeah, it's interesting because I think we had that question before.  I watched The Amazing Race for 15 seasons and I knew that I was going to be taking really, really good notes because if we're in the final leg there's going to be a memory challenge more than likely.

And I think that it was definitely much easier than any memory challenge that I had seen before, but when you take a look at the leg and how taxing it was -- with climbing Coit Tower and then with the virtual world challenge and then lugging around that trunk 20 blocks in downtown San Francisco -- I mean it was definitely a long leg and so it kind of made sense to us that it was a pretty quick final piece before you could get to the finish line.

Reality TV World: Given you never fell out of first place after that, how big of a role do you think the fact that you guys were able to move up to first class and be the first ones off the plane [in San Francisco] played in your win?

Jordan Pious: There was a flight attendant that really took a liking to my brother and he milked it for all it was worth, and that's what you've got to do in the final leg of The Amazing Race.  I mean at the end of the day, that fifteen minute lead that we had getting off the plane, we never lost that. 

I mean we were in first throughout the final leg and you know, we sat in first class for the last 30 minutes because that flight attendant let us move up to first class.  We were the very first people off the plane and we really never looked back.

Reality TV World: So I just want to be clear, even though the rules don't let you buy first class seats, there aren't any restrictions about what you do once your on the plane, right?

Jordan Pious: No, in fact you can have first class tickets if you pay the economy price, or the coach price.

Dan Pious: Right, you can't pay to get an upgrade but if the airline's willing to give you an upgrade -- and that never happened -- but what you're saying and what we did is 100% right.  If you're anywhere on the plane, you can move anywhere else on the plane if the flight attendants will let you.

Reality TV World: Given that move seemed so crucial, do you think we might see more of that [from other racers] in the Race going forward?

Jordan Pious: Yeah, to be honest I think teams in the past seasons have looked for those opportunities, and it's hard to capitalize on those opportunities.  But my brother did a phenomenal job with capitalizing on a good relationship that he had with that flight attendant and realizing that there were some seats in first class that were open for us to move up to.

So I'm sure other teams have tried to make moves like that but I will say it's hard to get a lead like that and we were fortunate enough to have my brother have that type of relationship with the flight attendant.

Reality TV World: Jordan, after you found out you were going to San Francisco you made a comment about the city "is a very gay friendly place."  Was there any particular reason you mentioned that -- had you had some problems in "unfriendly" places earlier in the Race?

Jordan Pious: No, you know what I think it was, I think we were in China and there was such a language barrier and the locals there really weren't helping us really in any way in that leg.  And so when we opened up the clue and we saw San Francisco, I was like, "Great, not only is it on U.S. territory but it's also a gay-friendly place so if we see people on the side of the street then they're maybe going to be more prone to help us."

You know listen, there are certain teams here who have, you know, different opinions on homosexuality and what not and I think they've been voiced throughout the season and all that.  And I think it was just a very comforting thing to see that we were going to a city that I knew was very accepting of that and that it wouldn't be a hindrance to our final leg.

Reality TV World: What happened during the backpack incident at the airport?  I mean Dan, you seemed to admit it was kind of a "dirty" move afterward but and it didn't seem like the kind of move that was going to make any difference in the Race unless you guys really thought there might only be two sets of seats on that flight so...

Dan Pious: Could you repeat the question?  You said something about I said it was a dirty move afterwards, I just want to understand you.

Reality TV World: Well that's what I said.  What I said was you seemed to admit afterwards that it was kind of a dirty move or considered it kind of a dirty move.  I thought that [was a direct quote from last night's episode], no?

Dan Pious: When was that on? I must have missed that part.

Reality TV World: Okay, you're saying you didn't feel it was a dirty move, I guess?

Dan Pious: No listen, I'll answer your question first.

Reality TV World: Okay.

Dan Pious: It made obviously no difference whatsoever, so that's the important thing  When it's all said and done, if Jet and Cord were sitting right next to us -- Jet would probably be sitting away from Jordan -- but I think it would be made very clear that it had obviously zero impact.

Funny enough, the three teams sat in three rows consecutively in the very back of the plane [and] all middle seats.  And Brent and Caite, who actually were first in line, actually for some reason had the third row all the way closest to the back.

And just so you know, we were forced to take that plane from Shanghai.  There was actually another plane from Shanghai that all of us could have gotten on but we were required to take a certain flight, and the actual seats on that flight had absolutely no impact.  What did have an impact was moving up to first class, which would have happened regardless of where we sat in the plane.

Jordan Pious: Right, and I just want to add that I wasn't intending that move to be malicious or nasty in any way.  And I actually put my bag down and sat next to Caite and talked to her and was hanging out with her.  And you know, next thing you know, the ticket counter opened up...

Dan Pious: Yeah...

Jordan Pious: And I stood up and then I think it was just kind of we all knew we were getting on the same flight, we all knew we were getting on the same area of the plane and that seats didn't really have an impact, and so I didn't see it as a big deal and I certainly...

Dan Pious: And I think it's important to note, you can go and look at us cutting as being a dirty move but I think you can probably say the same for Cord coming in and trying to distract me and just talking aimlessly when I was trying to direct Jordan on the virtual reality thing or whatever.

You know, at the end of the day it's a Race for a million dollars and when you're that close you're playing to win the game.  I think some people will say "play with dignity" and other people say "win at all costs" and some people sit on the fence. 

But we made moves and they made moves and at the end of the day, our moves impacted them zero percent and their moves, well it got to us a little more than that, but still made no difference.  I mean that's fair enough, right?

Reality TV World: Dan, I think you're misunderstanding.  I was just quoting what I thought you had said on the episode last night.  I wasn't calling it a dirty move myself.

Dan Pious:  No, no, no.  You know what it is, we've been getting the question a lot, so I keep kind of blending it together, you know what I mean?  And it's an important point and I think it's an interesting aspect.

Reality TV World: No, I understand that, but we only have I think about five more minutes so I have some other things I'd like to get to if we could.

Dan Pious: Sure.

Reality TV World: When you two were at Lucasfilm, you had that other kind of little incident where it looked like Jet and Cord had a chance to catch up and maybe even pass you guys but Jet seemed kind of passive and waited for Jordan to be done before moving forward in the virtual room.  Were you surprised they weren't more aggressive?

Jordan Pious: [Unintelligible] touch us

Dan Pious: Yeah,  I mean I think Jet wants to stay as far away from Jordan as possible, but really what I thought was interesting about that particular aspect was that Jet had seen Jordan spinning so we could read the clue on the computer screen and yet when it was their time to read the clue they sat there for what looked like several minutes totally confused on how to read the clue and Jet didn't spin or anything.

I was surprised because, who knows, maybe they could have really made up some time there.  I was surprised to see them not start spinning to read the clue so that Cord could see it on the screen slower. 

Jordan Pious: Yeah, they must have realized that I wasn't spinning for no reason.

Reality TV World: That's a couple of different times now in this interview that you guys have mentioned Jet apparently having some problem with Jordan.  We really didn't see much of that on the show, can you elaborate on that a little bit?

CBS publicist: Let's talk about their strategic play on the show.

Dan Pious: Jet hates gays, yeah.

Jordan Pious: I mean, but he made comments about Carol and Brandy on the show.

Dan Pious: Yeah, Jet called Jordan a "fag" Saturday night for absolutely no reason and Jordan just said hello to him, so there was something on the Race and I guess, in all fairness, there's some stuff that isn't shown and I think it's an important thing to get out.

Because I don't think there's any doubt that certain things happened and it all plays a part in everyone's reaction.  I don't remember exactly what was said on this past episode, but when Jordan was walking away from the counter I believe Jet said something to Jordan.

I'm totally drawing a blank now, but he said something.  I'll have to watch the episode again, because I've only seen it once because I'm in New York.

So listen, I think there's some animosity but it really goes one-way.  But we'll focus on the positive.

Reality TV World: Okay, well I guess let's focus on [the animosity] we definitely did see on TV, which was Caite's dislike of Carol and Brandy. Jordan, when you guys were on the bus with them, you seemed to think that dislike was possibly just because they were gay.

Jordan Pious: No, yeah, I'm definitely glad you're giving me the opportunity to clarify this.  I did not hear what Caite said and you can see I said, "Do you mean you U-Turned them because they are lesbians?"  It was a question, because I didn't hear what Caite said.

I will tell you because Caite -- I mean I was just rooming with her in New York.  She definitely is not homophobic.  I mean she loves me, and if she was homophobic then she wouldn't like me and she wouldn't spend time with me and she wouldn't be a friend of mine, but she is.

I think it was just a matter of not hearing what she said and you know what, it was a personal issue between Carol and Brandy and Caite and it kind of bubbled up and came to the surface at the finale at the finish line.  And it was I guess kind of their time to get it out there, and it is what it is.

Reality TV World: I thought we had a couple of more minutes but I've been told we're out of time, so can you tell me how you were cast on the Race?  I know Jordan was obviously the one that had been pushing for it, but how did it come about?

Jordan Pious: I sent in an audition video with my brother -- I tried to get him to do a video with me for [Season] 15 but I had to do about another six months of convincing.

Dan Pious: (laughs)

Jordan Pious: I finally got him to do an audition video with me and we applied just like anybody else.

Dan Pious: And I'm glad I did!

Jordan Pious: Yes.  It was just a great experience.  Yeah, we applied just like anybody else, got a call, went to the semifinals and then the finals and the rest is history, I guess.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-dan-pious-and-jordan-pious-discuss-their-the-amazing-race-win-10913.php

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2010, 10:32:36 PM »
Amazing Race's Daniel and Jordan: First-Class Move "Made All the Difference in the World"
May 10, 2010 05:18 PM ET
by Joyce Eng

It became a battle of the brothers at the end of The Amazing Race 16, with the Rhode Island-bred Daniel, 25, and Jordan Pious, 23, edging out cowboys Jet and Cord for the $1 million — without any advantage from cutting in line at the airport. "We were in the same exact plane at the same exact time, all middle seats in three consecutive rows. Caite and Brent, who were first to get tickets, were in the row furthest from the front," Dan tells TVGuide.com. "If people want to be up-in-arms about cutting, I can understand that, but don't think that it affected the Race. ... And Cord did a good job of getting revenge and distracting me at the virtual challenge, so I guess we're even." It was, rather, the move up to first class that ensured the Piouses a lead that they never relinquished. So how did they smooth-talk their way up front?

TVGuide.com: What was your tactic behind cutting the cowboys?
Jordan: We had not done one single thing on the entire Race to piss off another team. We were not that team. But fans have to understand that it's the final leg. You have a one in three chance of winning $1 million. At the end of the day, it's a game, so you have to make moves. That move didn't make a difference and we kind of knew that. I was just hanging out with Caite, so that was where I was in line. But it kind of riled us up and got us excited to put the pedal to the metal in the final leg.

TVGuide.com: The game-changer was when you, Dan, coaxed the flight attendant to move you to first class. What did you say to her?
Dan: Aw, man! What I said is a little X-rated. [Laughs] No, I'm joking! She was a really sweet girl and we hit it off. Personalities clicked and the wedding's next week! No, no. She was really enthralled by the cameras and was willing to help us out, and it made all the difference in the world. That put us ahead. We cut it close [the last two legs] — certainly not as close as it looked, but it was close. We were lucky to be able to survive, and that was our strategy the whole race: just survive. It doesn't matter what place we're in, just don't be last, and then on the last leg, get first.

TVGuide.com: Did it really take you that long to find a cab after the memory task?
Dan: It was literally three minutes, but they made it seem a lot longer. We knew we had a solid lead. We ended up beating the cowboys by about 25 minutes. They weren't even close to the memory challenge when we left. ... We told the cab driver, "We'll give you $100. Just get us to Candlestick Park." I think the rate was $20, and he's like, "Wait, are you really going to give me $100?" I said, "I gave you my word." At that point, we had, like, $400 saved up.
Jordan: We're also very stingy! I wouldn't let Daniel, like, eat. You never know when you need your cash, so I wanted to make sure we had enough to handle whatever came our way. But you can kind of tell that we were not too stressed. At one point, I'm like, "Daniel, this is it!" It was an exciting moment, not because I was panicking. They showed every single second of the three minutes that we looked for a cab.

Amazing Race's Joe and Heidi: Morse code challenge was "an impossible task"

TVGuide.com: The cowboys caught up to you at almost every task. Were you worried about them overtaking your lead?
Dan: We're always worried about them, but even though they caught up physically, at Coit Tower, there was a mandatory 15-minute wait. You had to go over safety and get harnessed, so I was about 80 percent done with my ascension as they were arriving, so they had to wait 15 minutes. At the virtual tour, we were getting our final clue [at the second goal] and they were just starting the first goal. While they were physically next to us, we were always still ahead.

TVGuide.com: Jordan, this was your dream. What was going through your mind when you realized you won?
Jordan: From watching the show for 15 seasons, I knew when I came out of that helmet, you look at Phil and ask "Are there any teams next to him?" The answer was no, then it's like "Holy crap! You're the Amazing Race 16 winners and you just won $1 million." Between the end of that helmet and probably the 20-yard line, I blacked out and don't remember anything. I was living my dream and trying to enjoy it, but was so overwhelmed by emotion and excitement. ... I was literally having an out-of-body experience.

TVGuide.com: Dan, some fans think you weren't into the Race because you did it for Jordan and hate traveling. What have you gotten out of it besides $1 million?
Dan: My brother's dream is achieved, and I saw things in the world that I've never seen. When we were leaving the Seychelles at night ... we saw the Milky Way galaxy. You see shooting stars every four-to-five minutes. It was the most beautiful thing ever. ... I certainly did my share of complaining on the Race, but when there was a challenge, you'd be hard-pressed to find someone more focused on getting the job done. ... It was a great opportunity to be on The Amazing Race. I've never said otherwise. I'll admit I wasn't a gigantic fan going into it, but I think the die-hard fans will be glad to know that there is one more die-hard fan in myself now that I've done it.
Jordan: People are questioning whether Daniel was really invested in this. There is a reason I chose him. I knew he was going to take this Race seriously and do everything he could to win and to make my dream come true in every way. He is the most competitive person I know. If that [last] cab ride isn't an indication of how committed he is, then quite frankly, I don't know what is.

TVGuide.com: In the online extras, there are videos that reference Joe making negative comments to Jordan.
Jordan: Joe made some negative comments toward me, but I've got to be honest, Joe made some nasty comments to a lot of teams. He's a very abrasive and confrontational individual who would find any excuse to almost put somebody down. At the airport in Argentina ... I was having a really rough day. I was emotional and crying — I mean, gosh, I'm sure we saw that a couple of times! Joe comes up to me and goes, "You done crying?" He just has a way with words and really puts his nose where it doesn't belong.
Dan: He had a problem with Jordan, he had a problem with Mike and Louie, he had a problem with Jeff. I don't know if you've seen the Elimination Station videos ... but it's like The Joe Show. He called his wife — who is a gorgeous, smart, amazing woman — a "PTA mom." He did it twice! He actually called his wife that, which is the most absurd thing.

TVGuide.com: What are you going to do with the $1 million?
Dan: We're going to give some to Uncle Sam and we'll put the rest in the bank and save it, invest it.

TVGuide.com: And you're not going to ride your motorcycles?
Dan: [Laughs] There's no chance! We were not lying about that. We will never, never — I'll get on it once and snap a picture, but that's it. If you know anyone who's in the market for a motorbike, we have two for sale.

TVGuide.com: After your champagne glass-stacking prowess in France, has anyone contacted you for bar or bat mitzvahs?
Jordan: [Laughs] I think every Jewish person that we know in this world told us that they were laughing their asses off when we referenced that.
Dan: We've had no calls. I think Jordan's comment about us being very expensive may have turned some people away.
Jordan: You said "expensive" and I said, "very expensive."
Dan: OK, I'm forgetting. But we've had no requests at this point, but if you know anyone, send them our way!

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Amazing-Race-Winners-1018291.aspx
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2010, 02:32:28 AM »
First of all, thanks Peach for posting articles....you saved me from the trouble!

Here's another one....

The Amazing Race: A First Class Finish with Dan and Jordan

Although The Amazing Race brother team of Dan and Jordan Pious were in the thick of competition during the entire season of The Amazing Race 16, Dan and Jordan still had to catch the Cowboy team of Jet and Cord. In the final leg of The Amazing Race 16, Dan and Jordan stepped up their Amazing Race game by beating both the Cowboys and Brent and Caite out of the plane in San Francisco and into a cab to take the lead in the Amazing Race quest to win the million dollars.

Despite being Amazing Race underdogs to the heavily favored cowboys, Dan and Jordan took command of the race and never let go, as Dan quickly guided Jordan through a video game maze at the famous George Lucas owned ILM (Industrial Light and Magic). Although the Cowboys were hot on the heels of Dan and Jordan while Brent and Caite had to backtrack in third, Dan and Jordan crossed The Amazing Race finish line in first to not only become winners of The Amazing Race 16 but also to land the million dollar prize.

When we caught up with Dan and Jordan the very next morning, the guys were still reeling from their Amazing victory.

THE DEADBOLT: So now that you've won, I hear you guys are starting your own cab company.

DAN PIOUS: Oh, you heard about that. Yeah, "angry cab drivers.com" [laughs].

THE DEADBOLT: Prior to the last leg, did you guys know or plan that you had to be more aggressive to beat the cowboys?

[The Amazing Race] DAN: We definitely planned that we were going to be more aggressive on the final leg. In our season there were two U-turns, and those U-turns resulted in eliminations in those legs for those teams, so we were very weary of getting on people's bad sides. In the final leg, with the game on the line, we definitely wanted to step up our game. But it was just as much to beat Brent and Caite as it was the cowboys, because any one of the final three - and really the final five or six teams for that matter - could've easily won The Amazing Race.

THE DEADBOLT: How did you guys get into First Class without the other teams seeing you?

JORDAN PIOUS: Daniel worked his magic. There was a flight attendant who took a liking to Daniel and he really capitalized on that. I think that she saw the cameras, and got excited to maybe have an opportunity to help someone out. Daniel was really, really sweet to her and they had some good conversation. With thirty minutes to go in the flight, they said we can move you up and you can just sit in First Class for landing so that you can be the first ones out of the plane. Sure enough, those doors opened and Daniel and I were one and two off that plane and sprinting through customs and trying to get a decent lead for the final leg of The Amazing Race.

THE DEADBOLT: How did you feel about how Carol and Brandy handled the tiara issue? Jordan, you initially told them about it, didn't you?

[The Amazing Race] JORDAN: Yes. Well, okay, so I initially told them who Caite was, but in my opinion I simply reiterated what Caite had said in her YouTube clip. I love Caite and I'm actually good friends with her now. Basically, I told them about the clip, they realized it, and then they made a comment apparently about the tiara. But they had some issue ...

DAN: It was Mike and Louis who brought the tiara comment up to Caite.

THE DEADBOLT: How do feel about how it got so out of hand?

DAN: I mean, it's all right. We're trying to focus on the positive. It's unfortunate, but everything is all settled now. I think everyone is pretty much over it. If they're willing to move on, so are we.

THE DEADBOLT: What was the deal with the peach comment at the end? Why was she so bitter about that?

JORDAN: Well, basically, for some reason I called Caite "peach" on the race, because she looked like a little peach. She's from South Carolina and I'm living in Atlanta now and they both have peaches. Anyway, I said that and Brandy gave me this look like, "why are you cheering for her?"

DAN: Because we were friends with Brandy and Carol, Brandy was just like, "why are you being nice to Caite?"

JORDAN: Yeah. So I said, "this is my little peach." Basically, we liked all of the other teams and we didn't want to create any problems. No big deal.

THE DEADBOLT: So what was it like after the race and after her comment? Was everybody cool?

[The Amazing Race] DAN: Oh yeah, everyone was great. We were all focusing on the good stuff.

THE DEADBOLT: Is there one thing you wish we saw that didn't get aired?

JORDAN: Gosh. I'm going to give you the official award for best question of the day. [laughs] I wasn't prepared for that one. Can we get a few seconds to think?

THE DEADBOLT: Sure. Any moment at all that didn't make it to air.

JORDAN: This is kind of a little bit for selfish reasons: But considering the edit in the second Shanghai episode when Daniel was really frustrated with that cab driver, I wished they had included the part where we specifically had our cab driver on the phone with the translation service who explained to him in full, in Chinese, not only where we were going and how to get there, but also that he had to follow the cab in front of him, including the license plate number of the cab in front of him - again, all in Chinese.

I wished they had shown that part because then people would've realized that my brother didn't have a problem with him not understanding English but had a problem with him not listening and understanding his own native language, Chinese.

THE DEADBOLT: Well, that's interesting. Louis told me last week that he had a problem because he thinks you guys didn't call the translation service.

[The Amazing Race] DAN: We were with Mike and Louis, we called them together. It was actually the four of us calling together.

JORDAN: Oh, I think what he was referencing was in the two hours that we had spent prior to meeting up with them. We had not called the translation service at that point. He was under the impression that we had done that when, in fact, we had not done that.

THE DEADBOLT: So how is the win going to change your lives?

DAN: Well, it's changing it on days like today where we're doing interviews and we're on Regis and Kelly and all that kind of fun stuff. For a little while here, it'll be a little crazy and fun and all that good stuff. Certainly for two young guys to have this kind of money at this stage is really great thing to start as a foundation in life, but Jordan is going to continue his job and hopefully I can get a job with Boston Sports, which is a dream of mine, and we can go on. But for the big picture, things will all remain the same. We consider ourselves normal guys, so hopefully we'll be able to get back to that.

http://www.thedeadbolt.com/news/107519/dan_jordan_amazing_race_16_interview.php

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2010, 12:48:20 AM »
Video interview

credit to tvguidemagazine

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2010, 01:08:08 AM »
Excellent Interview !

Interview with "Amazing Race" winners Dan & Jordan Pious
by Michael Jensen, Editor
May 12, 2010
 Daniel and Jordan Pious

Twenty-two-years old might seem awfully young to make a dream of a lifetime come true, but on Sunday's season finale of CBS' The Amazing Race that's exactly what Jordan Pious managed to do. When the Emmy Award-winning show kicked off its 16th season last February, Jordan immediately fulfilled part of his dream not just by competing on the show, but by doing so so with his older brother Daniel. With each subsequent leg of the racing taking Daniel and Jordan through countries including Chile, Argentina, Germany and Seychelles, the two Rhode Island natives played a solid, clean game that kept them out of the bottom for most of the race.

While the extraordinarily close brothers only managed two first place finishes the entire season, the second came when it mattered most — the final leg of the race which concluded in San Francisco. By finishing first and winning the million dollar prize, Jordan's Amazing Race dreams were actually exceeded as the week before he'd expressed how happy he was just to have made the final three.

While the race can be extraordinarily taxing both emotionally and physically, the two brothers managed to weather most every challenge thrown at them and to do so without losing their cool or turning on each other. Dan especially personified that grace under pressure during the second to last episode when a Chinese taxi cab driver seemed to willfully hinder their progress and nearly caused them to be eliminated.

AfterElton.com chatted with the siblings two days after their win to discuss their close relationship, Dan's reaction to Jordan's coming out to him and much more. One topic we did not discuss, however, were reports that Jet called Jordan "a fag" and "hates gays." I attempted to ask the question but was told by a CBS publicist that the interview was only about the race.

AfterElton.com: First of all, congratulations. That last leg was absolutely amazing. Dan, at the start of the race, it seemed as if you were doing Jordan a huge favor in making his dream come true. Now that you've come out of this with half a million dollars, I'm wondering if maybe Jordan did you the favor. How much did your opinion of the race change from start to finish?
Dan Pious: Well, you know, for me, at the beginning — or really throughout — I just wanted to make Jordan's dream come true. Really, the greatest point was when we reached the final three and Jordan got emotional on the mat. You could tell he'd realized he was going to be able to run the whole Amazing Race. That was a great moment for me.

Really throughout, I think I adjusted to the race a little more. I think people might have mistaken my relaxed mentality at the beginning as not caring as much, where in reality I was just trying to keep gas in the tank. I think it's important in The Amazing Race to take it easy towards the beginning, not to wear yourself out, and then when it all comes down to it, really put the pedal to the metal in the final legs.

AE: When we interviewed Jordan back before the race began, he promised you were a really competitive guy, and toward the end, we really saw that kick in. I felt so bad for you in the second to last episode when I thought you were going to murder that taxi cab driver who was completely fouling things up for you guys. You could see how competitive you were but I was impressed how much you restrained yourself and didn't actually go after him.
Dan: I appreciate that. That's very sweet. The frustrating part about that particular incident is that we had used the translation service that you can call up for taxi drivers and he was told specifically what to do in Chinese. It kind of made it look on TV like I was pissed at him because he didn't know English. Of course, I don't know any Chinese; I wouldn't expect him to know English.

But yes, I am very competitive. I want to win and do well at everything I do in life. The Race was no different.

AE: After you won and people were commenting on the CBS website, I started to get a little nervous about doing this interview, because you guys are obviously so ruthless and lacking in integrity. I was worried you guys might swindle me out of everything I own.
Jordan Pious: [laughing] Well, yeah. We are vicious cheaters. Moving up to first class, how dare we use such good strategy?

AE: In all seriousness, how frustrated are you by those comments, that thread that you guys cheated to win?
Jordan: I think when we read the first few articles, we were frustrated by them, and a little hurt, because we don't want things to take away from this moment and this experience. We don't want the focus to be on the negative rather than completing the race like we did. With that said, I think with some of the press releases and answers that CBS and The Amazing Race has given, the people that have inquired about the rules, that may help remedy the situation so people can understand that we did not break the rules or cheat in any way.

[A CBS publicist confirmed that in no way did the brothers cheat by moving up to first class.]

AE: I don't know if you read any of the comments on those articles or on the TAR boards, but some of them were laced with a surprising amount of homophobia. Does that surprise you at all?
Jordan: Obviously, I was hurt by that as well. I think a lot of the comments that we're seeing are from some pretty devout cowboy fans who were really rooting for the cowboys throughout the season, and quite frankly were probably really bummed when the cowboys didn't come out on top and have found different ways to express how they're upset with the outcome. Everyone has different favorites.

I wish they could share their opinion and viewpoints without getting sexuality involved in their opinions.
Dan: I think a difference in culture is something to really look at too. By no means is any of it right. It's very wrong. Everyone knows clearly where I stand on the gay/homosexual subject, but the cowboys come from a certain area, and their fans might come from a certain area that may be less accepting of the homosexual lifestyle, and however sad that may be for some of it, it's also a reality.

AE: Dan, what exactly did you do to charm your way into first class? How long did it take?
Dan: It took several hours on a 13 hour transpacific flight. I probably talked to Karen for about six hours or so. You build a relationship with someone over a time period like that. We really hit it off. Our personalities just clicked and she wanted to help out a new friend. She did that in a huge way.

AE: Not to accuse you of being Machiavellian or ruthless, but when you started talking to her, was that the goal in mind? To get in first class?
Dan: To be honest, I think I was always looking for an opportunity to help us in the race, but I can't sleep on planes, as is well-documented. I was just looking for someone to talk to. Jordan was sleeping, and I just wanted to talk to people. A lot of people were sleeping, and Karen was just walking around, so it was more of a friend to talk to than anything else. It led to the ultimate moving up to first class, which was good, and she gave me some extra mashed potatoes, so she fed me well too.

AE: I hope if she ever has a layover in Barrington you'll take her out for a nice dinner.
Dan: We spoke to her last night, and I told her, if you ever come to the area, dinner is on me times a million.

AE: You mentioned the cowboys, and they were actually fan favorites on our site. Before the race ended, a lot of people were saying they would have been happy if either you or they had won. I also thought they were great, but then I read an interview last night where you, Daniel, talked about Jet, and you were saying that Jet seemed to have a problem with Jordan. At one point, you even said he "hates gays" and used the word "fag." How much of that went on?
Editor's note: CBS asked Dan and Jordan to not answer the question preferring that the interview stay "positive" and be about the race..

AE: One of the things I really liked about this season was getting to see some relationships we don't usually see. You guys and Jet and Cord both had these great sibling relationships.
Dan: My brother and I have an incredibly close bond. I love him more than anything, and I will protect him and be his best friend for all of our lives. It's always been that way. As long as I can remember, he was my little buddy who I played little games with and ran around the house and grew up and all of that.

As far as being emotional and hugging and all that, we come from a very loving family. My little brother is my best friend and I will love him forever. It was just amazing. We were doing an incredible thing together, and we loved each other throughout.

AE: Daniel, I know Jordan came out to you when he was 14, which means you would have been 16, and he said you were immediately accepting. Was it hard for you at all? Was it a surprise?
Dan: Like I said before, we're best friends, and I know him better than anyone. To be completely honest with you, I knew he was gay and it never mattered at all. He's still my brother a hundred percent. And really, who cares whether you like guys or girls? He's my friend and friends love each other unconditionally. And more than that, he's my brother, he's my blood, and I knew it and I accepted it 100%. Really, honestly, what difference does it make? The answer is none. He's just a guy.

AE: Caite really did change her image during the show, but I'm not sure she changed in the way she meant to. In the last episode, I lost track of how many times she said she was going to punch Brent in the face. Jordan, I know you've become friends with her. Is she like what we saw on the Race? She came across pretty harsh during most of it.
Jordan: It's an interesting question, and I have to say that now that we've been contestants and we've participated in The Amazing Race, I think it's easy to pass judgment when you're sitting on your couch watching, but when you're running the Race and you're competitive, and there's a million dollars at the end of the Race, sometimes you say and do things you wouldn't normally say and do.

I know for myself, in retrospect, if I could do it all over again, I probably wouldn't cut the cowboys in line, because it didn't help us in any way, it had zero effect on the outcome of the race, and some people saw that as kind of a dirty move. I certainly wouldn't want that to be a display of my character, and I think the same goes for Caite. I think it was the final leg of the race, they were in last, they kind of got unlucky with their cabdriver, and it gets very frustrating. Emotions get involved and we're all competitive and wanted to win. She's a good person. All the other teams are good people deep down. Sometimes, the game just gets the best of you.

AE: What was the hardest challenge for each of you?
Jordan: The scariest challenge for me was the Singapore flyer, hands down. I have a fear of heights and then having to deal with that right away ... but the hardest challenge would have to be the pasta making in Shanghai. It was a combination of dealing with my nerves: it was down to four teams, and the other three teams had left and I was still there. It was freezing cold. My hands were basically plastered with this combination of flour and water, and I felt the pressure there.It was really challenging for me to overcome my nerves and finish that task.
Dan: For me, no doubt in my mind, the first challenge in Chile, the wire cross. It wasn't so much the task as I was incredibly, incredibly sick. It turns out I had strep throat, which was diagnosed after that episode, after that leg, I should say. It was really tough. I was dehydrated, and my throat was in rough shape. It was, by far, the toughest.

AE: What was the most surprising thing about the race for each of you?
Dan: I was really unable to sleep on planes. I figured if I was really tired and worn out from the Race I'd be able to go and sleep on the plane, but I wasn't. A large percentage of your sleep time needs to occur on planes, which was probably the surprising thing for me, and it didn't happen for me.
Jordan: I'd say the most surprising aspect of the Race for me was how difficult it was. For fifteen seasons I've been sitting on the couch yelling at the TV. "Why did you choose that detour? Get out of the cab! Turn left! Look behind you!"

It's a lot harder than it looks on TV. It's easy to pass judgment from home, but when you're running the Race and you're dealing with the elements, you're in different countries, people who don't speak your language, it gets a lot harder. It's a difficult race. It was a testing experience for us, for sure.

AE: Jordan, given that running the Race was your dream, what does it mean to have actually run it and won?
Jordan: It's an interesting question because there was a comment in the finale that maybe Daniel and I were in it for the money, and I actually kind of laughed that off a little bit, because I think I made it abundantly clear from the beginning that the reason for doing this was the experience and running the Race, because I am such a big fan. It was such a distant dream of mine to be on The Amazing Race, it was an even more distant dream to finish the Race and actually cross that finish line.

To say it was a pipe dream would be an understatement to win The Amazing Race, and with my brother, who I thought I could never convince to actually do this with me, and yet all of those things happened. I am completely on Cloud 9 right now. I'm the luckiest person in the world to have a brother like Daniel who supports me, and accepts me for who I am, and loves me unconditionally, to have had this experience and be walking away with a million dollars ... this is quite the ride, and I, quite frankly, can't stop smiling.

http://www.afterelton.com/people/2010/05/amazing-race-dan-jordan-pious?page=0%2C0
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2010, 01:41:22 AM »
Thanks, Peach for posting that excellent interview, I think that one was the best one so far, more informative and it almost brought me to tears! I love those boys to death! Dan sent me a very nice PM on FB today thanking me for my undying support the whole season!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2010, 06:49:07 AM »
FoxProvidence, the RI boys!

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2010, 09:42:58 AM »
Jordan need our votes....please vote for him, he's currently in 2nd place and catching up....

Link:

http://www.afterelton.com/blog/dennis/battle-network-gays-05-14-2010

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2010, 11:41:16 AM »
Jordan need our votes....please vote for him, he's currently in 2nd place and catching up....

Link:

http://www.afterelton.com/blog/dennis/battle-network-gays-05-14-2010

Please, please vote....he was 10% behind last night and now is only .6% behind for 1st place! Thank you.

Offline MamaT

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2010, 12:12:07 PM »
I just voted and Jordan is currently in first place by a narrow margin!   :jumpy:

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2010, 12:30:09 PM »
I just voted and Jordan is currently in first place by a narrow margin!   :jumpy:

Thanks for voting, MamaT

Jordan is now 1.1% ahead but still need more votes. People, please vote for him and voting ends tomorrow at noon EST.

Thank you!

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2010, 12:31:21 PM »
Just voted! :wohoo:

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2010, 12:45:19 PM »
Just voted! :wohoo:

Thank you, David! Spread the word...

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2010, 09:09:01 PM »
Jordan is leading on the poll by 6.3%.

Offline SuzuKen

• RFF Full Member
  • tabibito
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2010, 04:07:39 AM »
Do you need to ask? Of course it's Jordan!

*added my vote too*  :wohoo:
JOAB'S SURVIVOR RFF: MADAGASCAR  -we like to move it move it-

TAR17: Nat & Kat, Brook & Claire

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2010, 08:44:25 AM »
Do you need to ask? Of course it's Jordan!

*added my vote too*  :wohoo:

Thanks for the vote. He's leading by 7% now.  :tup:

Offline heartz

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • I love reality shows~
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2010, 09:42:41 AM »
voted :)

you guys have their regis and kelly interview? it's not on youtube~

(i'll sidetrack abit here)
if you don't mind me asking, where did puddin go?
Congrats Dan & Jordan~
Congrats Sandra Diaz, show that little troll who\'s Queen~
Good luck Crystal~

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2010, 10:20:50 AM »
voted :)

you guys have their regis and kelly interview? it's not on youtube~

(i'll sidetrack abit here)
if you don't mind me asking, where did puddin go?

Thanks for the vote. I'll see if I can find the video of Regis and Kelly.

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2010, 10:30:54 AM »
Dan/Jordan & Jet/Cord on The Early Show

courtesy of CBS

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2010, 10:38:19 AM »
FYI, I can't find a video of Dan and Jordan on Live with Regis and Kelly. I guess nobody uploaded it.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2010, 11:17:49 AM »
I voted! He leads by 7.3% now! :wohoo:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2010, 11:22:11 AM »
Thank you and all others who voted. The poll is now closed and he won!

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2010, 11:26:09 AM »

Wait, it just barely closed? :ascared
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2010, 11:38:57 AM »

Wait, it just barely closed? :ascared

It closed at noon even though it looks like you still can vote vbut the numbers have not changed since noon.

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2010, 12:58:15 PM »
It would be great if Dan & Jordan came here, to RFF!