Author Topic: TAR 16: Dana Davis and Adrian Davis--High school Sweethearts/Married  (Read 16271 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Dana and Adrian

High School Sweethearts/Married

Adrian Davis
Hometown: Arlington, Texas
Connection to your teammate: High School Sweethearts who met while attending Los Angeles High School
Current Occupation: Medical Sales
Pet peeve about your teammate: Her double standards on household issues
Favorite hobbies: Weight lifting, golfing and playing “Texas Hold'em”
Achievements: I graduated from San Jose State University as a first generation college graduate
Lifelong to do list: Raise my children to be healthy, contributing members of society and then help raise my grandchildren to be the same
If I could switch places with someone: I would not want to switch places with anyone.
Role Model/Hero:  Tom Hicks, the owner of the Texas Rangers
What are you passionate about: Running my own company
What would you do if you won the million dollars: Pay off debt and donate money to my church and the United Negro College Fund
People would be surprised to learn: With me there are no surprises...what you see is what you get
Favorite place you have ever visited: Hawaii
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together: Making the right choices under pressure and not arguing
What did you hope to accomplish by running the Race (other than winning one million bucks) I'd like to show the unity that can exist between husband and a wife

Dana Davis
Hometown: Arlington, Texas
Connection to your teammate: High School Sweethearts who met while attending Los Angeles High School
Current Occupation: Market Manager
Pet peeve about your teammate: His obnoxious burps
Favorite hobbies: Swing dancing, taking spontaneous trips and fine dining
Achievements: Earning a Masters Degree from University of Texas at Arlington with three kids under 6. Owning a property management and real estate firm with my husband and purchasing my first home by the age of 22
Lifelong to do list: To share my story of overcoming abuse and a failed restaurant business at the age of 23. Also, to do more traveling, enter a national dance competition and complete a book that I started on adversity
If I could switch places with someone: Oprah
Role Model/Hero: Jesus Christ is my role model. My mother is my hero
What are you passionate about: Compelling others to think and live outside the ordinary by sharing my stories of victory
What would you do if you won the million dollars: Give to meaningful organizations (United Way, YMCA, etc), save and have a little fun
People would be surprised to learn: That my spouse and I have enjoyed each other for 26 years and I am not even 40 yet
Favorite place you have ever visited: Puerto Vallarta
Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together: Not holding it against my husband if he is responsible for us losing
What do you hope to accomplish by running the Race (other than winning one million bucks)? Showing that high school sweethearts can still love, respect and have fun with each other while trying to accomplish a common goal

« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 11:49:05 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: TAR 16: Dana Davis and Adrian Davis--High school Sweethearts/Married
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 05:17:29 PM »
Chip & Kim/Uchenna & Joyce 2.0?

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 06:51:36 PM »

More like Nenna and Amit from TARA3
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 06:11:24 AM by redskevin88 »

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 08:26:44 PM »
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 08:33:11 PM »

More like Nenna and Amit from TAR3

Hmm?
huuuuuu i would like icon on profil of this team

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 06:07:34 AM »

More like Nenna and Amit from TAR3

Hmm?

The Indian cousins from Amazing Race Asia 3

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 02:13:36 PM »
Oh right. I'm not sure about that evaluation, I didn't like Neena and Amit
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 02:27:23 PM »
I like these two. Their relationship seems very sound, and they know each other pretty well. If there is one thing that could be their downfall I would say either luck or not being very fast.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 08:21:57 AM »
This is a proof for their love? <3 it!

Offline RealityFanWA

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 04:18:36 PM »

YES!!! I see it and both of those teams won their season of AR...I'm going for Adrian and Dana all the way!!!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 08:14:46 PM »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Eugene Schwindlemyer

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 11:31:13 AM »

YES!!! I see it and both of those teams won their season of AR...I'm going for Adrian and Dana all the way!!!

:duno:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 12:16:28 PM »
Dang it. I really wish these two would've gone further. :(
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 12:54:03 PM »
If only Dana had done the roadblock. On the other hand, Jody and Shannon would have been out.

We'll never know.

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 01:14:04 PM »
If only Dana had done the roadblock. On the other hand, Jody and Shannon would have been out.

We'll never know.

I know as soon as a saw that Adrain was doing the tightrope I thought they were doomed. Sad when the crying starts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 06:18:23 PM »
I would have loved to have seen more of Dana and Adrian! I loved their positivity and obvious love for each other. Dana did a wonderful job of encouraging him and staying positive even as hope was waning. And kudos to Adrian for trying so hard!

I am so glad they let her try the highwire...but I don't know if that made it harder for her or not?? Second guesses ...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 10:51:49 AM »
The Amazing Race 16: Exclusive Interview with Dana and Adrian Davis
Posted on 02/17/2010 by Gina in The Amazing Race and Cast Interviews

On the season premiere of The Amazing Race, 11 teams set out on a race around with the world, with their first stop in Chile. There, the teams had to complete a Road Block, in which one member would have to walk across a wire suspended in the air - a task that requires both a lot of strength and a lot of balance. For Adrian, the task was extremely challenging, given his size and, more importantly, his fear of heights. He fell off the wire twice and was forced to start again. When he couldn't complete the task, host Phil Keoghan came to find them to tell them that they had been eliminated since every other team had checked in. Today, teammates Dana and Adrian spoke to RealityWanted in an exclusive interview about their experiences on the show.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: What made you decide to try out for The Amazing Race and how did you end up becoming a part of this season?
A. Adrian: My wild and amazing wife is always thinking outside of the ordinary. We've always been fans but I never thought we'd get on the show. She saw an open casting call in Dallas and said, "Mark your calendars, let's go for it!"

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: Did you do any preparation for the race, physically or mentally like learning different languages?
A. Dana: We had been working out. I started weightlifting last year and lost 20 pounds. We did a lot of preparation physically but languages, no. I took 4 years of Spanish...
A. Adrian: You don't know where you're going on the race. You can learn Chinese but you don't know that you're going to China.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: How did you calm your nerves at the starting line for the race?
A. Dana: It was very uncomfortable, wet, and rainy that day. We were saying to ourselves, "Let's go." We were ready to move. There's a whole lot that goes into it before that point.
A. Adrian: They hold you back and hold you back and hold you back until you're ready to go!

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: Which teams did you click with?
A. Dana: Jeff and Jordan and we didn't even know who they were until later. We immediately liked them.
A. Adrian: We liked Monique and Shawne but not right away.
A. Dana: On CBS's website, there's extra footage from the first episode. They hid a book from us. There was a Chile guide book in the airport and the woman at the bookstore said that someone had hidden it. We didn't get a chance to say something to Monique and Shawne then about it but that was our first impression of them. Later on, we were waiting for a taxi and we got to talk to them.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: Talk to us a little bit about the challenges you faced in that Road Block, Adrian.
A. Adrian: Before Dana and I started the race, the month before, we designated who would do what. Based on my fear of heights, Dana would do those challenges and based on my strength, I would do all the heavy lifting challenges. That's what was so frustrating about it. To make the wrong decision like that was insane.
A. Dana: When you read the clue, though, it says, "Who has the balance of a cat and the courage of a lion?" I thought it would require more strength but it required more balance.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: How did you deal with being eliminated so early on and in the way that you did, for not being able to complete the challenge?
A. Dana: It was tough. There's so much that goes into getting on The Amazing Race. You prepare with your job and your family and leaving your kids. To know early on that your mission isn't going to take place, it's frustrating. We weren't there for a vacation.

http://www.realitywanted.com/newsitem/2907-the-amazing-race-16-exclusive-interview-with-dana-and-adrian-davis

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 02:28:12 PM »
Why the short interview? Anyway, thanks for posting, Peach!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 11:01:16 PM »
Deadbolt Article:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cable Crossing with Dana and Adrian Davis of The Amazing Race 16
by Reg Seeton

The Amazing Race is back on CBS for Season 16 with a new crop of teams on a global race for the million dollar prize. After forcing the new Amazing Race teams to take the bus from downtown Los Angeles to LAX airport, The Amazing Race competitors were off to Chile in the first leg of Season 16 where the field was quickly put to the test. The first Roadblock of The Amazing Race 16 saw the teams cross a cable the size of a football field over the city of Valparaíso before The Amazing Race competitors painted houses ahead of the Leg 1 Pit Stop.

Unfortunately for high school sweethearts, Dana and Adrian Davis of Texas, the cable cross became The Amazing Race obstacle that was too much of a challenge when Adrian had to also battle his fear of heights. Although Adrian tried twice to overcome his fear and cross the cable, the Roadblock forced Dana and Adrian out of the race early when all of the other Amazing Race teams hit the mat ahead of them.

This week we caught up to Dan and Adrian for a post Amazing Race chat to find out what went wrong and how the two high school sweethearts felt about leaving The Amazing Race after only one leg.

THE DEADBOLT: So how long does it take to go from downtown L.A. to LAX by bus?

ADRIAN DAVIS: [laughs] Oh, man! Here's the crazy thing about it: Dana and I were raised in South Central, Los Angeles, but so much has changed. So when they said Union Station, I'm like, "Union Station? There's no Union Station in L.A." So the last time we were there, the only public transportation we knew was the bus. So it took awhile to get out. But we actually made it, as you see on the show, that we were one of the first three to get to the airport, although it didn't help us any because of that delay.

THE DEADBOLT: How windy was it up there on the wire?

ADRIAN: Oh my goodness! If you could look at the background on a lot of it, you can see that it was extremely windy. What happens when you first get on the cable, it's tighter on the edges. But as you go towards the middle, it gets real bouncy or loose. It feels almost like it gets loose in the middle. Maybe it's gravity pulling it? But if you combine that with the wind blowing the way that it was, combined with the fact I was afraid of heights, it was just not a good combination.

THE DEADBOLT: What did it do for your fear of heights? Were you able to confront it?

ADRIAN: I would say it worsened it, to be honest with you [laughs]. My wife, for her 40th birthday she wants to go skydiving, she's like, "Honey, you've got to overcome your fear. You need to go." And I'm like, "No. Absolutely not!" The biggest thing when you're afraid of heights, what you're actually afraid of is falling. For me, willing to try to overcome my fear, to get out there and to actually fall, was just like a nightmare coming true. So yeah, it'll be awhile before I get up on anything high.

THE DEADBOLT: Since you guys didn't stick to your original strategy, did it force you guys to look into how you make decisions as a couple after the show?

ADRIAN: Absolutely. That's what we're asking. What did you get out of the show? What did you take from the show? That's our biggest one, is that if you have a game plan and you know what your strengths and weaknesses are, you don't veer from that. Especially when things are on the line. Obviously, with my philosophy, I don't back down from a challenge. But that wasn't the time to do that. There's a time and place for everything. I don't know whether you play golf or not, but there's the old adage that if there's a team in front of you and they're working on their game, the course isn't the place to work on your game! Go to the back of the course, there's a lot at stake here and you need to keep the game moving. So we were on the course practicing and it cost us. It absolutely cost us.

THE DEADBOLT: What type of patience does that require? Obviously it's a different type when you're getting up to a challenge like that, but what does that do for you after the show?

ADRIAN: Well, we had quite a bit of time to think about it. You don't get to go home when you're eliminated, you go o Elimination Station. So you've got quite a bit of time after that to think about it. I think you end up doing a lot of self assessment, a lot of "what if". If we only had of done this or done that. There's a lot of second guessing that goes on and a lot of play and rewind, play and rewind.

I think at the end of the day, you ultimately get to the point where you say, "Hey, you know what? It was a chance at winning a million dollars. It was a chance to travel around the world with the person you love. Take it for what it was worth and you move on from there." I got over it a whole lot quicker than my wife did. She was still at Elimination Station still kind of feeling mad about it. I was kind of like, "Hey, it is what it is." I've played sports my entire life, and it's something to get to the big game and to lose, but you have to ultimately say, "Hey, at least we made it to the big game."

DANA DAVIS: And I think Adrian said it best. It's so much to get on this show. So with all of preparation, everything, at least you're out there. And you don't know if you want the number two spot or the last spot, the number two spot next to the million dollars. But there's so much that goes into it that I just felt like I tasted it. I'm so happy we weren't in season fifteen when the one couple didn't even get to leave L.A.

THE DEADBOLT: When you look back, have you thought that maybe it was a good thing you got eliminated first? On some seasons it's really taken a toll on relationships.

DANA: Yeah, I would've rather got eliminated first than second.

ADRIAN: I think so. I think for Dana and I, because of our relationship - we've been together since we were teenagers - we know each other in and out. I think we would have been able to endure a lot more without falling apart had we been able to stay on the race. I'll never forget that one season when the girl in her exit interview, she just flat out said, "No, me and him ain't going to make it. I'm pretty much through with this guy." [laughs] I mean, talk about WOW! It is that impactful to people. I don't think, whether we came in first or last, we'd look at each other like, "You know what? We're going straight to Judge Judy when we get back and file for divorce." But I think it probably would've been more exciting for us if we would've been able to represent a loving couple, how they respond to each other, even under pressure with a million dollars on the line.

DANA: A lot of that is we already know where we fall short in our relationship. I don't want people to think we don't have our weaknesses, we do. But we know them. Let's say that Adrian knows that time management has been an issue in our life for so long, I think if we would've lost because of time management that he's been trying to warn me about for twenty years, and we would've lost a million dollars in spot two because of my time management, I think that kind of stuff can come back and bite you. But what we try to do is deal with our issues now and try to figure out how to get through them in our marriage and our finances and our communications and our private life.

ADRIAN: Right, and how we raise our kids and all of that.

DANA: We still have our challenges but we try to get better with them. But the key is ... You know how some people are like, "I'm late and I'm going to be late and that's just who I am."? Well, hell, if that would've cost me a million dollars and I've been with you for twenty years, I think a lot of times people think it's just going to go away. But if you still did what I've been telling you about for twenty years when it counts, it's going to be a problem.

THE DEADBOLT: Since your relationship is so strong, if it wasn't for that one challenge, what do you think it would it have been like for you guys? That's a big advantage, the relationship.

ADRIAN: Yeah. Again, I think we would've gone a whole lot further than we obviously did. Obviously we have to wait and see the rest of the show and you have to see what other challenges the folks are going to come up against. I don't know if you've had a chance to look at the extra outtakes online at CBS.com, but they let Dana do the cable walk after we were eliminated. Sure enough, she just walked right across [laughs]. So then you just stand there and go, "I can't believe that we did that." So yeah, you kick yourself, you beat yourself up a lot, then you just say, "It is what it is at this point."

THE DEADBOLT: Well, did you get that kiss yet? The one you were talking about at the Elimination Station.

ADRIAN: Oh yeah, man. I finally got the kiss [laughs]. I finally got the kiss.

DANA: All of my friends will say, "Dana, you were in a really good mood at Elimination Station." I still won because I think that somewhere down the line my hormones kicked in and I'm like, "I'm at the freaking Elimination Station." That's what he's talking about.

http://www.thedeadbolt.com/news/107124/adrian_dana_amazing_race_16_interview.php
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline RealityFanWA

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 06:12:58 PM »
I'm sad they were the first team to go but someone had to go...oh well,kit happens!!!

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 01:55:03 AM »
It's too bad these two aren't still in it. They seem really fun and funny at ES - and they're creating a good, peaceful atmosphere instead of the occasional sad, upset one, which is also nice.