Author Topic: Auditions  (Read 14757 times)

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
Auditions
« on: January 16, 2010, 10:59:58 AM »
With the first week of auditions from Boston and Georgia aired, did anyone stand out for you? Several for me.

Maddie Curtis, 16. She sang Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah."  AI did a back-story on her so we knew she would be going to Hollywood. (Has a brother with Downs Syndrome and her mom and dad adopted 3 more Down Syndrome children so her brother wouldn't feel alone. 

"Guitar Girl," Holly Harden.  :colors She sang well but wore a ridiculous  costume and I hope she isn't another Bikini Girl.  :jam: She sang “You Aint Woman Enough To Take My Man”. She reminded me a little of Kellie Pickler, but not sure she will make it far in Hollywood.

Tyler Grady, 19, a drummer with two broken arms. He sang "Let's Get It On."  Kara and Victoria Beckham liked him, but not Simon or Randy. (Back-story treated us to a view of his X rays.)   :groan:

A prediction, General Larry Platt will perform at the Finale.  :lol:

The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Auditions
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 11:07:49 AM »
I forgot to comment on the guest judges. I thought both did a great job, Mary J Blige and Victoria Beckham.  What did Y'all think?

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 03:08:25 PM »

I didn't get to watch the show, so thanks for posting that! It was hilarious, truly hilarious! :lol3:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 07:45:19 AM »
Simon was right, it's going to be a hit. Brett Favre sang it in the locker room after the Vikings win.  :lol3:

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• RFF's Goodwill Ambassador
  • I Live at RFF
  • No more wire hangers EVER!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 03:49:36 PM »
 :waves: OMG that ws hysterical with brett singing pants on the ground!! :lol3:

I'm missing Paula  :(

i like the guest judges but have to wait on the rest of the auditions to comment more. (shocking i know!) :umn:
zero, zilch, nada, nothing!

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 05:49:40 AM »

I didn't get to watch the show, so thanks for posting that! It was hilarious, truly hilarious! :lol3:

yes this :funny:
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 05:42:24 PM »
Chicago - Guest judge: Shania Twain.

Only a few were shown, the show seemed rather short even if it was an hour. (Minus commercials of course!)

In no particular order: Charity Vance, 16. She sang "Summertime," and while a lot of singers on AI have sung this, she made it her own, she has a unique style.  Her voice is light and pure and she is very personable. AI did a back-story on her. Good sign.

Angela Martin, 28. Will the third try be the charm? She tried out in Season 7 and her father died. Season 8, making it to the top 50, only to have to leave because of a traffic warrant. I think she might go further this year.

Katelyn Epperly, the first contestant to make it through from Chicago, sang “Syrup and Honey” by Duffy and talked about her parents splitting up. (Could have done without this but it is AI and they like drama.)

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 05:43:11 PM »
Tonight's guest judge is Kristin Chenoweth and the show auditions from Orlando.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 07:22:06 PM »
Thanks for the videos!! I may actually want to start watching again!! :lol:

Good ones! :tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 01:44:06 PM »
I knew "Pants on the Ground" would be big.  :lol:

'Pants on the Ground': a scolding for young'uns on 'American Idol'

The ditty 'Pants on the Ground,' by Atlanta civil rights icon Larry Platt, made its debut Wednesday on 'American Idol' – and its ridicule of low-rider pants seems to be resonating.

By Patrik Jonsson  Staff writer / January 14, 2010
Atlanta

"General" Larry Platt, whose original ditty "Pants on the Ground" cracked up everyone on "American Idol" Wednesday night, is not your standard "Idol" outtake (and not only because he's well over the cut-off age of 28).

Beaten by law officers during the 1965 "Bloody Sunday" march in Alabama, Mr. Platt was nicknamed "General" by Atlanta civil rights icon Hosea Williams for his heroic role in the civil rights era. (See a picture here. Platt is the young man on the left looking at the camera.) These days, Platt is going at it alone, protesting that too-stubborn urban fashion statement: pants worn low, crotch almost at the knees – a sign, to many, of disrespect and a thumb in the eye to many civil rights activists like Platt who fought to raise the profile of black Americans in US society.

Sure, some communities – including Atlanta – have tried (with dubious success) to outlaw the fashion statement, saying low-rider pants are obscene. But Platt's catchy ditty about youths with gold in their mouths, baseball caps turned sideways, and "looking like a fool with your pants on the ground" could do more to discourage the look than any local ordinance, especially now that his tune is getting remixed on YouTube. Unusually cheery, "Idol" grump Simon Cowell predicted: "I have a horrible feeling that song could be a hit."

Already, it's a ring tone, and there's a Facebook campaign charging ahead to get Platt a record deal. His message runs deeper, at least, than that of "Idol" hopeful William Hung (also on YouTube).

Platt has long been a presence at Atlanta City Council meetings, and his latest mission has been to protest widespread foreclosures in Atlanta's mostly black neighborhoods. Even the Georgia legislature has hailed Platt for his "outstanding service" in the community, and the city of Atlanta proclaimed Sept. 4, 2001, to be Larry Platt Day.

Seems appropriate that "Idol" would give him a nod, allowing America a perhaps overdue glimpse at one of Atlanta's unique personalities.

Source

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 04:05:13 PM »
I know of this guy...good for him!

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• I Live at RFF
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 01:19:26 PM »
Sorry for all you general Platt lovers but apparently he stole the tune and changed up some words. here's the tmz link from the original band/group :duno:

http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/27/pants-on-the-ground-back-pockets-on-the-floor-general-larry-platt-american-idol/

the upswing is that he's going to be singing it outside somewhere in the vicinity of the grammy's/red carpet but not on the stage(again tmz reports) :groan:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 04:38:27 PM »
I hate to invite the wrath of Ugot upon me.. :hides  :lol:   but I don't think they are really similar. What do Y'all think? Similar?

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 06:43:24 PM »
I haven't posted any comments about the Orlando auditions, frankly only a few stood out for me.

Date: Jan. 20, 2010
Judge: Kristin Chenoweth

Seth Rollins, 28, has an autistic son. He sang "Someone to Watch Over Me." He got a back story so we knew he was going through. He sang well and Kara and Randy loved him.

Last audition of the first day was Shelby Dressel. An 18 years old who was born with a facial problem. The right side of her face is paralyzed but she has a really nice smile and cute way about her and the judges put her though. She sang “Turn Me On” by Norah Jones and had a nice vibe. Half way through she forgot the words and cursed but that endeared her to the judges.

For those who like beat box, meet Jay Stone, 25.

SECURITY!!! SECURITY!!

Last audition in Orlando, Matt Lawrence, 25, with a back story. He robbed a bank with a BB gun when he was 15. All 3 judges loved him, Simon called his performance brilliant!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 07:54:03 PM »
awwww...two made me cry! And that's a GOOD thing. :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline bee1233

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 09:24:01 PM »
I cried too.  Seth Rollins walking down the sidewalk with his autistic son with the words song will fix you...(something close to that).  Being a parent of an autistic son I just hope his wife can handle the stress of basically being a single mom.  I hope they have a huge support system.

Loving Idol as usual.   :hearts:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 08:05:28 AM »
Seth Rollins is one of the few who stand out, I hope he makes it through Hollywood.  :yess:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 11:58:24 AM »
Los Angeles auditions

Date: January 26
Guest judges: Avril Lavigne, Katy Perry

Only a few real standouts for me either day, however we were treated to the Adam Lambert lookalike montage.  (Note to copycat wannabe's.. it never works!)    :lol:
Avril Lavigne wore a devil horned hoodie, which bizarre as it was looked good on her. }:>

Mary Powers, 28, with an eight year old daughter who wanted to meet Simon. She had a decent voice, not sure how far she will go. Her audition is here:

Andrew Garcia, 23, got the backstory treatment. He has an inspiring story, his mom and dad were in gangs but moved so their children would have a better life.  Simon said he was a genuinely genuinely, good, good singer. 

Chris Golightly, 25, backstory treatment. He was in foster care for years, lived with over 25 families. He sang "Stand by Me."  The judges loved him except for Simon with a small "y."  Very easy to listen to him sing, seemed like a nice kid. 

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 12:07:49 PM »
Dallas

January 27 2010
Guest Judge: Neil Patrick Harris and Joe Jonus

Dallas, slow show, few if any outstanding auditions, most of the people put through weren't even shown. The only one that I thought had a prayer was Lloyd Thomas. He  sang "Overjoyed" by Stevie Wonder. Simon loved him

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• I Live at RFF
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 01:04:04 PM »
I hate to invite the wrath of Ugot upon me.. :hides  :lol:   but I don't think they are really similar. What do Y'all think? Similar?

ha ha TL! :waves: 

I think they are putting through so many more contestants to hollywood than ever before :duno:   seems like an awful lot (26 i think) from Denver alone! help me out here! :angel:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 01:13:03 PM »
I found most of the audition shows lacking because I'm not sure we are seeing the best of the singers. I don't know why that is unless it's the shortened time,  one hour instead of two. Maybe we griped too much about the bad auditions.  :lol:  They did seem to put a lot through though this year didn't they.

Offline bee1233

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 01:13:32 PM »
I agree.  It seems they have over a hundred to Hollywood by now.  My opinion several should not have made it through but maybe they wonder if most will choke with Hollywood pressure.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 01:15:21 PM »
I agree.  It seems they have over a hundred to Hollywood by now.  My opinion several should not have made it through but maybe they wonder if most will choke with Hollywood pressure.

Right on! There are always those who just can't take the pressure and crumble, some you wouldn't think would let it happen.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 02:34:36 PM »
Denver Auditions

February 2, 2010
Guest Judge: Victoria Beckham (Posh)

Day 2 was pretty much horrible but a few standouts.

Casey James, 27, a Texas musician. He got the backstory treatment. He was in a motorcycle accident at 22 and was told he'd never play the guitar again. Simon didn't like his performance but Kara and Victoria wanted him to take his shirt off, put his hair down. Randy said yes but get some star appeal.  :lol: (Casey's audition begins at the 52 second mark.)

From Florence Italy, Nicci Nix, 22. She flew from Italy to Germany to Denver to audition. Her song was "Something Kinda Ooh" by Girls Aloud. Simon asked if she had drunk helium but I don't think Nicci heard him.  :lol: Her speaking voice was high but she sang much lower. Really cute and different.

Tori Kelly, 16, brought a little friend named Hope into the audition room. She drew pictures for the judges and they made a big deal over them. Tori sang “Gravity” by John Mayer. Simon made the comment that she was a human orange. (She wore a long orange dress.)  However she sang well and the other judges liked her.

HMMM there was an 11 year old Tori Kelly on America's Most Talented Kid, is she the same Tori?

Last but best for me, Haeley Vaughn, 16 years old. She got the backstory treatment. She wants to be the first black pop country main stream singer.  Really cute. I think she will go far.

I'll spare you the Bikini Boy. The judges fled and rightly so. There's only one Bikini Idol and that's reserved for our infamous Bikini Girl!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 03:09:09 PM »
Good pick up on Tori! Looks to be for sure the same to me...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 05:47:20 PM »
Sure does look like the same girl.  :yess:

Tonight we have "The Road to Hollywood and perhaps we'll get to see some of the finalists and their auditions.

Offline bee1233

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 02:13:33 AM »
Tonight's show they said 182 made it to Hollywood.  I don't remember it ever being that high.   :duno:

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• I Live at RFF
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 07:06:39 AM »
 :duno: I'm not sure if they thought they had all that "worthy talent" maybe it's because they no longer have Paula and feel the need to put through all these extra people just to get the viewers. They do have all that extra loot they are saving  since Paula is not there. I know there is no way they are paying Ellen anywhere nears the amount of $$ Paula got. So in turn more Hollywood trips.  :umn:

Paula did have a HUGE pull to alot of viewers. :'(

now it's Hollywood and we get to see just how much Ellen can contribute to the singers, or at least to the viewers! :lol3:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2010, 04:28:18 PM »
I'm with you Bee, I never remember that many going to Hollywood before, Ugot might be right, they have extra money because of Paula being gone.

I really miss Paula but several of the guest judges have been really good. I'm waiting to see how Ellen does. She'll be starting next week. Hollywood week.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 12:47:40 PM »
Road to Hollywood
February 3,2010

One last audition to cover before we start to see the Hollywood eliminations. (And none too soon!) Only a few standouts shown, mostly we saw the rejects and the fake rejects.

Jessica Furney, 20, sang "Footprints in the Sand" co-written by Simon Cowell. (She tried out last year as well.)

Didi Benami, 22, got the backstory treatment. She's trying out in memory of her friend Rebecka. She sang “Hey Jude”. She couldn't keep it together after singing but in a good way.  but I liked her and so did the judges.

Aaron Kelly, 16. Backstory, his family was unable to take care of the Aaron and his brother and to keep the boys together they were adopted by his aunt and uncle. He's very young but has a good voice. We'll see how he does in Hollywood.

Last but not least, Hope Johnson, 19 years old. She got the backstory treatement and it was inspiring. She told how she brought food home from her school lunch for her brother because he would cry. She has a beautiful smile, good voice. I hope she makes it through to participate in the show.

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2010, 09:55:18 PM »
ty tl for all the vids!!! tonighs show was good i can;t wait till i start rembering names..a lot of realy great talent this yr..i like the girl that was a waitress and the rocker mom that brought her daughter in to see simon and he said r u sure she is not mine. also i hope the cute shirtless guy goes trew and the dad well both the big black dad and the danny gokey looking dad they were real good i read u r spoiler names but i can;t rember them nuuu.. :groan:
tv junky needs help!!!!!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2010, 10:53:54 PM »
Mary Powers is the rocker mom. I like her a lot, like her look and her voice. I forget which one is the waitress, Lilly Scott? I loved LOVED LOVED her voice.

Casey James surprised me, he's much better with his guitar than he was in his first audition. I'm glad the girls fought for him to come to Hollywood.

The other audition that really stood out form, Crystal Bowersox. She's got a WOW factor. Simon (think it was Simon) said she was infectious and she was, the kids in the audience joined in, they loved her!

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2010, 12:17:17 PM »
i liked the girl that sang the carol king song.. but they need to whiten her teeth it was destracting some times having hidef is not fablous!? i whould need a who body make over, but i work in tv for so long and thease hidef tv's i notice everything...
yea casey hot guy with the guitar love him.. i need to go bk to u r top 24 spoiler thread and see if i reckenoise any names. i can tell u what they look like and what they r whering but names go bybybybybyby :groan:
tv junky needs help!!!!!

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• I Live at RFF
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2010, 04:06:54 PM »
Hiya TL!! :hugs:

I'm thinking the girls are hitting their marks as of last nights auditions or should i say"editing". I'm scared to watch them fall apart in "group songs" tonight! :groan:

like tory said the danny goke sound alike was good, there was one who sounded like kris allen i like him and i'm with ya both-Casey James rocked it! :tup:

Offline bee1233

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
Yes Crystal Bowersox was really good singing Carole King but definitely needs her teeth whitened.  Loved Casey James.  It was fun looking over spoiler list while the show was on and making notes next to their names.  Hope we get to know some of the others that made the top 24.

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2010, 05:57:49 PM »
yea what is group night with out some DRAMA...and some div behavor OMG :monroe: SO FAR THEY R NOT SHOWING THE ONES WHO GO TREW THEY DID THAT TO MY BELOVED CHRIS RICHARDSON.. they seem to focous on them some during the try outs and i was so glade to see they did not show as many fools as usual. i love it when it gets down to the realy good singers.. can't wait till next week.
tv junky needs help!!!!!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2010, 10:39:19 AM »
Is this not the weirdest season of AI? Wednesday night there were groups that were shown with no names, no singing, no critique. Nothing. With the constraints of only an hour maybe this is the only way to do it but it seems that we won't have a favorite to root for either. If I'd never seen AI before I'd watch a few minutes and pass on to some other show.  :umn:

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• I Live at RFF
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2010, 04:37:57 PM »
I'm w/ya TL!!  :waves: they were all over the place with the editing.  Why is it that everyone must mess with a good thing!!

UGHHH!!!! :groan:

lets hope that next week reaches the " highs" we are used to! :tup: