Author Topic: TAR7: Ryan Phillips & Chuck Horton - Best Friends  (Read 10478 times)

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
TAR7: Ryan Phillips & Chuck Horton - Best Friends
« on: December 19, 2009, 12:21:29 AM »
Okay, since we're in the off-season, and spoilers seem slim, I thought I'd create a little diversion for us. Let's discuss the teams from a past season who don't have threads. How about TAR 7?

RYAN & CHUCK
Best Friends

Ryan & Chuck are lifelong friends from Landrum, South Carolina and Inman, South Carolina, respectively. Ryan is a general contractor, and Chuck works in boiler tube replacement sales. Their motivation for participating in this Race is to travel the world together.

Ryan is married with one son. He works as a general contractor and is very religious. Ryan enjoys riding motorcycles with his best friend Chuck and herding sheep with his dog Blue. An avid motorcyclist, Ryan once built his own motorcycle, then rode from South Carolina to Texas and back.

Chuck is still single, much to Ryan’s dismay. He is also very religious and spends much of his time working with the youth at his church. Chuck is well traveled and speaks fluent Portuguese. His favorite hobbies include riding his motorcycle with Ryan and playing bass guitar.

Although their southern drawls sometimes fool people, make no mistake: Ryan & Chuck are very smart and are ready to play the game.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR7: Ryan Phillips & Chuck Horton - Best Friends
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 09:59:42 PM »
The first four boots as the Final 4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the season's Final 4.
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 01:32:26 PM »
The first four boots as the Final 4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the season's Final 4.

Well, I'm not so sure about that, but it would have been entertaining to have Ryan & Chuck around longer, and Debbie & Bianca were really tough. The other two, I could do without. :lol:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 08:35:56 PM »
Raymond I am going to be less diplomatic that Hooky. Your hypothesis that the first 4 teams out were  better than the Final 4 teams is absurd on its face. Let's examine each group one by one:

Ryan and Chuck - 2 good old boys who were consistently in the back of the pack in the first episode. They losing to Debbie/Bianca and Ron/Kelly in a 3-way race to the pit stop was appropriate. How could anyone think that this is a superior team?

Megan and Heidi - 2 very nice but not too bright and not too quick women who were going nowhere even if they had survived the ran from taxis to the pitstop against Greg and Brian

Debbie and Bianca - this is the only team of the first 4 our that anyone can realistically make a case that they were eliminated too soon. I thought before episode 3 that they were the strongest team in the competition, but their inability to do simple navigation cost them many hours and ultimately a car race to the pitstop against Susan and Patrick

Susan and Patrick - this team had bad luck with the motor failing on the lake at Tigre. However, it was clear that they weren't going to finish well in AR7 even if they had survived  this epsiode

So, in my tally that's only 1 team with potential credentials and it was poor at navigation and rightfully eliminated as a result

The Final 4 were:

Uchenna and Joyce - one of the most talented teams in Amazing Race history. They were the only winning team to be selected for the All-Stars AR11

Rob/Amber - another one of the most talented teams in Amazing Race history. I do not buy the hypothesis that Rob talked Meredith and others into quitting the Mendoza meat challenge, but there are many other instances where he provided leadership to help his team get ahead and stay ahead

Ron/Kelly - this was a mismatched pair but even so they individually were talented enough to be driving toward the exit at San Juan International Airport one minute behind the other 2 teams; they missed that exit and were not able to compete for anything but 3rd place but it was so close

Meredith and Gretchen - this was a team that did not deserve to be there and somewhat lucked out by making it to the Final 4. I felt Brian/Greg, Alex/Lynn and Ray/Deana were all superior teams, but Meredith and Gretchen persevered

So that tallies as only one team in the final 4 who could be displaced by Debbie/Bianca. Is that evidence of first 4 out >>>>>> Final 4?

As someone's RFF handle says, U Got To Be Kidn Me (apologies to the real person using that name)

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 09:47:55 PM »
Apskip, I think Raymond was referring to how much he liked the teams, as opposed to apparent racing skill.

Personally, I don't think it was luck at all that caused the boot of Susan and Patrick. According to the commentary track on the TAR 7 dvd, a lot of the boats broke down in Tigre, and Ryan and Chuck certainly had the potential to do much better than they did.

Also, Meredith and Gretchen made it as far as they did because put simply, they were there to play. They did catch an NEL, but many teams ranked among the best have also done that (Colin and Christy got one, and BJ and Tyler caught two.) The fact that they were good enough to bounce back and come third the next leg is a testament to their abilities, and it should also be noted they passed younger, fitter teams in a physical task.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 09:49:40 PM »
Ap, I think he was referring to their entertainment value as well; not just their potential race strength, if you will.

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 11:37:33 PM »
Ap, I think he was referring to their entertainment value as well; not just their potential race strength, if you will.

This. I don't care about racing skill. This game involves lots of luck and when there is luck, I start caring less & less about the racing skill. Plus, it's a TV show. And, I HATE 4/5 of the Final 5. :funny:
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline valor boreal

• RFF Jr. Member
  • OS Race Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 06:40:02 AM »
They had 1 big blunder in digging in the wrong pile at the beach, which was negated by the second plane to Cusco being delayed.

I can't say whether not taking the llamas together at the detour was a blunder or not because they completed that challenge easily when other teams struggled.

They only just missed the truck at the bunching point (meaning that they had to wait almost the entire 20 minutes) and still had 2 teams behind them after leaving the market, and had bad luck with the taxi ride to the pitstop.

I don't think that they would have made the final 4, but IMO they were far from being a Meredith and Maria team.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 06:01:23 AM »
Just saw Season 7, Ryan & Chuck are likable... losers.

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 11:55:40 AM »
They losing to Debbie/Bianca and Ron/Kelly in a 3-way race to the pit stop was appropriate.
Debbie & Bianca won that leg.  Megan & Heidi were in the bottom three with them.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 07:05:59 AM »
Paron,

You are correct. Memory can play tricks on you sometimes, a good reason to consult a reputable source like "My Ox is Broken" or go to my VCR tapes of every Amazing Race episode ever. Debbie/Bianca did win this leg, Megan and Heidi did indeed edge out the final 2, and Ron/Kelly barely beat Chuck/Ryan.