Author Topic: The Amazing Race 16 Schedule  (Read 18707 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
The Amazing Race 16 Schedule
« on: December 10, 2009, 01:04:45 PM »
discuss
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 08:24:24 PM by puddin »

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
Re: The Amazing Race 16 start date?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 01:35:36 PM »
Thanks puddin!

Moving my posts from the other thread to this more significant one:

With a March Start, here are the dates to get a 12-episode season in.

March 07
March 14
March 21
March 28
April 04
April 11
April 18
April 25
May 02
May 09
May 16

That's 11 weeks for 12 episodes.  I didn't put 5/23 there because it's the last weekend Survivor's finale could be before Memorial Day weekend.  Now, we're going to have to knock off two more weeks from the above schedule (3/7 for the Academy Awards and another week for the ACMs).  To best avoid all the conflicts, there will have to be a lot of 2-hour episodes if they're going to keep the show on Sunday.  The last time they had multiple 2-hr shows (three) was during the TAR7 & TARFE runs, prior to the move to the weekend.

This might result in having our first 2-hour finale in four years.  Unfortunately, Cold Case moved back to 9 PM.  So unless they keep 10 pm Sundays as a rerun slot to bump Cold Case up to that 10 pm slot whenever necessary, it could get complicated.

Again, this year is a tough call, since it's the first year since the move that the winter games are a factor.  I think I should let it play out; I feel like the BCS committee trying to figure out all the matchups for this years NCAAF postseason!  However, as
 mentioned, although by mistake, March 4 could work if it airs after Survivor.  Then, you can have an episode on that Sunday, opposite the Oscars.  That way, no need for TPTB to crunch in the season, and TAR would have its second episode run on 3/7 instead of a premiere.  They wouldn't do that b/c thinking of all the alternatives and taking risks isn't on their to-do list.

------

Replying to start date/conflict speculation:

It'll be interesting to see what happens.  It's a tough call.  Common sense would say to have it air right after the Superbowl (a la Survivor Australia and All-Stars).  Actually, that's more wishful thinking than common sense, but I'd think it would make sense.  If football has proven to help TAR since 10 (save for 11 and 14), imagine what the Superbowl would do!  Sadly, it's not going to happen.  As mentioned, the season would be long enough to start in February and then end in May.  Also, with the upcoming Survivor Season, if anything, that's closer to the front of the line of post-SB programs to air right after the Superbowl.

Given that, common sense would be to air it later.  To avoid all the conflicts, I think March 14 would be the best bet.  It's tough, and only because it's on a Sunday.  That's in terms of when best to premiere it.  Really, from a tarfly's POV, whatever it takes to avoid having the show end on May 9 is the way to go.  That would suck (especially if it doesn't premiere on February 7).

That being said, I don't think 2/14 is automatic.  True it would mirror last year's schedule, but things change (like the survivor finale moving up a week this fall).  While the Olympics and TAR are on two different networks, that results in TV conflicts & who would want to kick off a season opposite the opening weekend of the winter Olympics?  That, and the fact that a couple may feel that their love and time for one another is worth more than any episode of TAR.

I think 2/21 or 2/28 is more likely, but it also depends on the course of the race.  3/14 would be a little late, especially with the ACMs likely to preempt TAR completely before finale time.

------

And finally, from the other thread:

March 14 is selection Sunday for March Madness, with games scheduled on 3/21 and 3/28.

Don't know if this would affect TAR, but it seems like it would.  It always affects Survivor, too.

March Madness will most definitely pre-empt at least 2 weeks of TAR. As far as the Olympics goes I saw someone post above about the opening ceremonies. They are always on Friday night.

There have been two spring seasons since the move to Sunday (11 and 14).  Neither one was pre-empted at all due to March Madness.  Only Survivor got bumped off due to the tourney.
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 05:34:51 PM »
There are several unanswered questions that makes it much more difficult to pin down the start date for airing TAR 16.

First how many episodes were ordered? One reason why TAR 13 was 11 episodes was because the fall season that year started later and the target Sunday for Survivor's finalewas earlier than normal, which meant fewer weeks available for TAR.

Next question-- when will Survivor 20's finale air? Since the holiday weekend in May isn't until May 29-30-31, CBS could decide to use May 23rd for Survivor. (In addition, if this is the final season for Cold Case, which has been rumored, then CBS may be planning something for one of those May Sundays for that as well. Even though May 9th is Mother's Day, the normal day for a spring edition Survivor finale, that's may be too early due to the fact that Memorial Day holiday weekend will be the fifth weekend of May, not the fourth.

Next question is what will CBS do with the 10pm Sunday slot after the Olympics? I doubt CBS plans to waste new programming or episodes in that time slot until after the Olympics, unless they plan to start a new Sunday 10pm series on Super Bowl Sunday after the game and take a gamble through February that a new series could do better than Three Rivers, Without A Trace or Cold Case was doing in that slot. I have no idea how CBS plans to deal with it, it's the biggest problem CBS has on Sunday night, and this may be tied into the question of whether Cold Case gets to have an eighth season in 2010-11.
My best guess at the moment is a March 14-May 16 season, with a two hour start and a one hour finale. If there is an additional hour, then I could see that aired on Maay 16, especially if Cold Case ends as a series this year and that could be aired May 9th.
-- theschnauzers

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 10:18:08 PM »
CTV Reports

*Coming off of one of the most successful seasons ever and consistently ranking among the top 10 programs in television, THE AMAZING RACE returns with cycle 16 this winter.

http://www.channelcanada.com/Article3895.html

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 12:08:08 AM »
I'm not sure what to make of that.

With the Olympics and then the OScars, CTV won't have four Sundays in a row available for TAR; and I seriously doubt CBS would let CTV start TAR 16 in Canada several weeks before the US, and the Canadian fans would be mad if there's a four week hiatus.

The only thing I can think of is that March 14 is still winter, so a premiere then would still be a "winter return." Otherwise we may need to monitor the Asian simulcasters to see if they mention anything. Or this is TAR 17 theu've been filming these last few weeks, and TAR 16 was secretly filmed without telling any of us.  :cmaslol

-- theschnauzers

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 08:11:06 PM »
CTV has the Olympics in February so I think it would run it in conjunction with CBS' schedule. It always has.
Just here to visit.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
Re: The Amazing Race 16 Sightings/Info: Tweets Go here please!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 09:29:05 PM »
I don't know how reliable this is, but this webpage is telling me that TAR16 starts airing in January 2010:

http://www.tvrage.com/The_Amazing_Race/episodes/1064880574/16x01?epguides=1

I don't know how reliable the site is, and I would hope it starts that early, but it seems WAAAY too soon for me, unfortunately... :cmas5
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Amazing Race 16 Sightings/Info: Tweets Go here please!
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 10:00:43 PM »
Well, the arrogant Jeff Probst just announced that Survivor 20 is returning on February 11, 2010 so it's probably in the vicinity.
Just here to visit.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 10:09:31 PM »
We now have a new piece of data -- Survivor 20 a/k/a Heroes vs. Villians will premiere on February 11th. (Jeff Probst just announced the date at the end of the Survivor Samoa reunion hour. There are 20 returning Survivors, so it would seem this next Survivor edition could run even longer than the Samoa edition. 18 weeks (not counting a week off for March Madness).
-- theschnauzers

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 11:04:07 PM »
We now have a new piece of data -- Survivor 20 a/k/a Heroes vs. Villians will premiere on February 11th. (Jeff Probst just announced the date at the end of the Survivor Samoa reunion hour. There are 20 returning Survivors, so it would seem this next Survivor edition could run even longer than the Samoa edition. 18 weeks (not counting a week off for March Madness).

Could CBS really premier TAR during the Olympics? Then again, ratings typically increase majorly as the season progresses.
I wouldn't be too worried about a TAR 17.  :cmas26

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 11:16:28 PM »
This just got posted by Reuters 10 minutes ago, TAR 16 will premiere February 14th, followed by a new reality show that is getting the post-Super Bowl slot as a premiere time on February 7th ("Undercover Boss") and Cold Case goes back to 10 pm.

Airing after "Boss" the network's postgame coverage, the premiere episode features Larry O'Donnell, president and COO of Waste Management, as he cleans porta-potties and works at a recycling plant. The series will run at 9 p.m. Sundays starting February 14, along with 16th-cycle premiere of "The Amazing Race."

Reuters article on Undercover Boss, Survivor Heroes v. Villians, and TAR 16

-- theschnauzers

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 11:21:14 PM »
2/14. That's day 2 of the Olympics. I guess the networks are going to counterprogram against the Olympics after all.
Just here to visit.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 11:27:04 PM »
OH WOW  :groan:

A new reality show after the Super Bowl? This could either be devastating for CBS, or an absolutely brilliant move.

Now back to TAR. Doubt we're going to get over 11 million viewers again. OTOH, ratings != quality.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 11:29:51 PM »
 :cmas26

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 11:31:27 PM »
They better not put it up against Figure Skating or there are going to be WORDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :knuckles:

VBut lovely to have the date!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 11:34:49 PM »
Michaels Birthday? I think?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 11:39:03 PM »
I just told him that!! My first thought too!! So this season will be his BD present? :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009, 11:39:32 PM »
Michaels Birthday? I think?

Day before! But you're close! and it's close enough to my birthday to make me happy!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 11:39:54 PM »
I just told him that!! My first thought too!! So this season will be his BD present? :lol:
Let the jinxing begin!  :cmaslol

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2009, 11:40:01 PM »
Don't forget Valentine's Day   :cmas10 :cmas12  :mas25

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2009, 11:47:56 PM »
One of my nieces was born on February 14th but since she's studying post-grad overseas (the last I heard), I doubt she'll be watching, (They are not TARflys, regrettably to say.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 05:20:25 AM »
My birthday is on February 13th and almost every year without fail, i'll have a season premiere of TAR as birthday present. :kisses

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 05:50:32 AM »
Happy birthday to those who get TAR16 as a birthday present! Sadly, I've NEVER had a TAR episode air on my birthday. How disappointing... :cmas4

Great to have a start date! I'm so thrilled. Now when school starts here, down under, at least there's a weekly TAR to look forward to! :yess:

Oh, and sorry to be getting off topic, but I'm sorry I posted my "website" thingy in the wrong forum... :cmas12
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 08:23:25 AM »
If the information is true (remember that the TVRage info does not appear to be), then a Feb. 14 start date puts it on Day 3 of the Olympic Winter Games in a very primetime competition for viewers given that there will be many interesting  events on Olympic telecasts that evening. however, CBS must have concluded that getting into February Sweeps is vital compared to the viewer loss that is inevitable. Feb. 14 is 7 days after the Super Bowl so AR16 could not logically have been any earlier. The end of AR16 telecast, if there is one episode each week, would be in early May, probably in the May Sweeps period.

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2009, 08:48:21 AM »
Wow....they did it.  They're actually running the show opposite the winter games.  Not just one week or two, but all of them.  And yet, we (still) didn't get to post Super Bowl slot.  Then there's the Academy Awards.  Man, I think I feel bad for the CTV crew here.  Not to disrespect Undercover Boss, but I'd think a proven show would've gotten the nod (like Survivor, especially this upcoming season, CSI, or the Mentalist).  Not something no one has heard of prior to last night!

Maybe it'll do well; at least it's starting off this new series a lot better than that 3 Rivers show (opposite of a Steelers/Chargers game).  It still baffles me a little that CBS continues to create or develop new show after new show, despite the fact that they're on a tight budget.

If the information is true (remember that the TVRage info does not appear to be), then a Feb. 14 start date puts it on Day 3 of the Olympic Winter Games in a very primetime competition for viewers given that there will be many interesting  events on Olympic telecasts that evening. however, CBS must have concluded that getting into February Sweeps is vital compared to the viewer loss that is inevitable. Feb. 14 is 7 days after the Super Bowl so AR16 could not logically have been any earlier. The end of AR16 telecast, if there is one episode each week, would be in early May, probably in the May Sweeps period.

Of course, we also would have to factor in whether we're getting 11 episodes or 12 episodes.  If it's 11, we're looking at 4/25; 12 episodes has it ending on 5/2.

But you're right about this tough decision.  There's no way they could start TAR post-Super Bowl and still finish during May sweeps.  Not without a minimum 13-episode season + a week off.  Then, while 3/14 avoids all the conflicts, you'd have to double-up a couple episodes with a 12+ episode season.  At the end of the day, it was just something they had to deal with.  I think 2/21 would've been better as it's not the opening weekend (yes, I know the ceremony is the Friday before Valentine's Day).  Hell, even a Thursday, 2/11 start following Survivor (w/ a 2/14 reair) would've been nice, but it's a done deal.  That's not to say they can't change their mind.  They did so very close to the start of TAR6.  If you remember back in 2004, they were supposed to have that air on Saturday, premiering 4 days after the AR 5 finale, but changed it shortly before, which moved it back a month and a half.  On a side note, too bad they didn't think twice that year; with a second guess, they could have thought to have TAR air as a Sunday program going forward, starting with TAR6!

The only thing left to worry about is the date of the Academy of Country Music Awards.  If that occurs mid-week or on 5/23 then we're good.  If it emulates last year, then we're in trouble.  I'm sensing it'll surface sometime in March or April, which would push those dates (4/45 & 5/2) back a week.  Of course, there's the random 2-hour episode or a possible return of a 13-episode year (depending on the # of teams), but that's something that I can't worry about too much until we get closer to that point.

Anyway, had it not been for the 2010 Olympics, this Valentine's Day start would make sense.  To avoid all of the conflicts, they would have to start on 3/14, and who knows what would happen after that?  Doesn't give TAR that much time to end before Survivor, which has to end no later than 5/23.
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on