Author Topic: Sunday Dinner - The Amazing Race 16 Menu  (Read 14385 times)

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Sunday Dinner - The Amazing Race 16 Menu
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 01:12:46 PM »
Wow - that looks complicated but it might be fun to try.

To be honest, I haven't recovered from the last episode in France. Champagne hangovers persist.

What is kangkong or water convolvulus? Does it have a North American equivalent? We have a lot of Asian markets in Toronto, but I hate looking like a stupid gwailo by asking for the wrong thing.
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 01:54:08 PM »
That looks yummy! If you are only using the shrimp heads, I'll take the shrimp please! I'm a little hungry, all we got in the Seychelles was turtle soup :o and coconut!!  :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 08:19:38 PM »
I believe kangkong in English is water spinach, and if trying to find it in Toronto one might try asking for 蕹菜 (Mandarin yongcai, Cantonese ungchoi) or 通心菜 (Mandarin tongxincai, Cantonese tongsamchoi). I would gladly have a meal with just that and rice.

Hokkien mee is an absolute delight.

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2010, 11:34:11 PM »
anyway is not water spinach, it's spinach alone, i wonder why many people got confused by adding water infront, sighs

and in chinese characters is not 通心菜 is 空心菜, sorry peach, i know you hate me using chinese characters here.

hmm, sambal chilli with spinach with rice is cool, but it could be heaty as well, so try a bowl of green bean soup will be good
I believe kangkong in English is water spinach, and if trying to find it in Toronto one might try asking for 蕹菜 (Mandarin yongcai, Cantonese ungchoi) or 通心菜 (Mandarin tongxincai, Cantonese tongsamchoi). I would gladly have a meal with just that and rice.

you may want to learn how to prepare the dish here, and also the preparations of sambal chilli

Sambal Kangkong/Sambal Spinach: http://samfusionz-recipes.tripod.com/id65.html
Sambal Chilli: http://samfusionz-recipes.tripod.com/id136.html
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 11:50:24 PM by Evan_Weinstein »
Singaporean here - PM me, if you need me to translate, Chinese, Malay, English, German or Japanese

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 02:51:19 AM »
I don't hate Chinese? I just want everyone to be able to read and understand....so use them all you want, just be sure the rest of us have a translation, when possible.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline jerseydude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • It’s Friday, Friday Gotta get down on Friday
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2010, 07:52:20 AM »
anyway is not water spinach, it's spinach alone, i wonder why many people got confused by adding water infront, sighs

and in chinese characters is not 通心菜 is 空心菜, sorry peach, i know you hate me using chinese characters here.

hmm, sambal chilli with spinach with rice is cool, but it could be heaty as well, so try a bowl of green bean soup will be good

you may want to learn how to prepare the dish here, and also the preparations of sambal chilli

Actually 通心菜 and 空心菜 are the same name, just different words for it.

This comes to show how confusing Chinese can be. Remember TAR14 Kisha and Jen at the Chinese restaurant  :lol:
The Amazing Race TV Stars- Marc and Rovilson (Currently 1st)
Victor\'s Amazing Race- Mooyou and Jerseydude (Currently 5th)
RFF Amazing Race Season 2- Redskevin88 & Jerseydude (Eliminated 4th)
Mooyou\'s Amazing Race- Tammy and Victor (Finished 2nd Place )

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2010, 07:54:42 AM »
oh, is that how you pronounce in China, now i learnt another new name for spinach

This comes to show how confusing Chinese can be. Remember TAR14 Kisha and Jen at the Chinese restaurant  :lol:
Singaporean here - PM me, if you need me to translate, Chinese, Malay, English, German or Japanese

Offline jerseydude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • It’s Friday, Friday Gotta get down on Friday
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2010, 08:30:14 AM »
oh, is that how you pronounce in China, now i learnt another new name for spinach

This isn't Spinach. Spinach is 菠菜(pronounced bocai).
The Amazing Race TV Stars- Marc and Rovilson (Currently 1st)
Victor\'s Amazing Race- Mooyou and Jerseydude (Currently 5th)
RFF Amazing Race Season 2- Redskevin88 & Jerseydude (Eliminated 4th)
Mooyou\'s Amazing Race- Tammy and Victor (Finished 2nd Place )

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2010, 08:34:43 AM »
this is the actual words when you see in a typical singapore market

This isn't Spinach. Spinach is 菠菜(pronounced bocai).

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2010, 09:55:50 PM »
Because of the pit stop, you could start here and then browse the links here (plenty of pictures) to see if there's something you would like.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2010, 05:25:42 PM »
Slowhatch:

A link on one of your two major links to "Hawker Food" reminded me that Penang is not the optimal place to get that. Singapore is. I believe Anthony Bourdain had a whole program on hawker food in Singapore, which he rated generally extremely cheap and delicious.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2010, 08:27:54 PM »
Slowhatch:

A link on one of your two major links to "Hawker Food" reminded me that Penang is not the optimal place to get that. Singapore is. I believe Anthony Bourdain had a whole program on hawker food in Singapore, which he rated generally extremely cheap and delicious.

he's correct. you can get a meal for around US$2 to US$3...

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2010, 08:37:18 PM »
I remember having a wonderful meal in an outside food area in Singapore...yum!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline smiley

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2010, 10:39:53 AM »
Interesting...i'm not the only one that does this :(

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2010, 12:05:13 PM »
I remember having a wonderful meal in an outside food area in Singapore...yum!!

I have just subscribed a magazine Sherman's Travel for high-end luxury travel (which leaves me out but it's fun to read it to learn things). One tour offered in the latest issue is in Singapore, a 3 hour $150/person, including food and transportation by www.makansutra.com. The review of that tour says:

Singapore's food culture is distinguished by its unique blend of Chinese, Indian and Malay flavors as well as popularity and high quality of its street carts. Some 40 years ago government official literally move all the vendors into regulated, sanitary hawker centers. Today there are 120 such stations, each containing about 150 stalls (wow, that's 18,000 total). Each stall specializes in just one or two dishes, such as fish-head curry, grilled stingray, or spring rolls of stewed turnips. In turn, every Singaporean approaches eating with a sports fan's fanaticism, each pledging allegiance to this stand of that vendor... K.F.Seetoh is the founder of Makansutra, Singapore's street and restaurant food bible. On the side he organizes tours of the city's top hawker stands. Even with a guidebook, finding these spots would be near impossible since many lack official names and clear addresses. His company can also arrange market tours, lessons on the country's cultural heritage and cooking classes.

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2010, 01:42:48 AM »
if there is a dish to introduce singapore, i will say curry fish head, cos chinese, malays and even indians, they have their own way to prepare this dish, for eurasians, normally they will prepare the chinese and muslim way