Author Topic: Questions and Discussion thread for TAR stats  (Read 23137 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Questions and Discussion thread for TAR stats
« on: December 02, 2009, 12:13:40 PM »
By request :<3

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Questions and Discussion thread for TAR stats
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 12:25:26 PM »
I'll kick this off.  I have been watching TAR since Season 1 and have recently re-watched Seasons 1 through 9, but my memory for details is not close to that of some of the experts here at RFF.  So I know someone will be able to answer.

Has any other team besides BJ and Tyler (the Hippies) survived two NELs and gone on to win the race?

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 12:42:33 PM »
Chris & Alex
Flo & Zach

=D

Uchenna & Joyce, Eric & Danielle and TK & Rachel also survived one NEL & then won.

I have departure times from Seasons 1 to 5. :funny:
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 12:49:00 PM »
Chris & Alex
Flo & Zach

I agree after checking my notes. One caveat, though, in most of the early seasons with 13 legs (1-4, 7, and 9), the 12th leg always involved a NEL and only three teams.
-- theschnauzers

Offline River

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 06:35:18 PM »
On the first post can we have a summary of TAR stats? I remember wikipedia had one of these, and it was useful...
Hope to add some in the near future...

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 09:42:12 AM »
Here's a question: What is the farthest a nth place team got? (Ex. The farthest a 1st place team - and 2nd/3rd place too - is Leg 13, while a 4th place team made it to Leg 12.)
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 09:58:31 AM »
I do have a way for you to determine that information as part of my ranking of all teams by average leg placement, which I am planning to post over here after the 15th's finale airs this weekend. That list also lets you see who had the best (or worse) first place or last place performance (after the first elimination).
-- theschnauzers

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 10:50:07 PM »
I do have a way for you to determine that information as part of my ranking of all teams by average leg placement, which I am planning to post over here after the 15th's finale airs this weekend. That list also lets you see who had the best (or worse) first place or last place performance (after the first elimination).

Oh, yes, please do post that! I remember when Wikipedia had a list of top average placings (before they got super-strict about everything). If I recall, either Eric & Jeremy or Colin & Christie were on top of the board.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 11:42:14 PM »
Here's a question: What is the farthest a nth place team got? (Ex. The farthest a 1st place team - and 2nd/3rd place too - is Leg 13, while a 4th place team made it to Leg 12.)

Counting TBCs as one continuous leg:

12th: Leg 1, obv.
11th: Leg 2 (Tramel/Talicia, Amanda/Chris, Garrett/Jessica)
10th: Leg 3 (Dennis/Andrew, Russell/Cindy, Marcy/Ron)
9th: Leg 4 (Heather/Eve, Steve/Josh, Zev/Justin)
8th: Leg 5 (Michael/Kathy, Steve/Dave, Don/Mary Jean, Lance/Keri)
7th: Leg 6 (Aaron/Arianne, Monica/Sheree, Marshall/Lance, Gus/Hera, Ray/Deana, Peter/Sarah, Teri/Ian, Christie/Jodi, Mika/Canaan)
6th: Leg 8 (Jonathan/Victoria, David/Mary, Joe/Bill)
5th: Leg 10 (John Vito/Jill, Kami/Karli)
4th: Leg 12 (Linda/Karen, Oswald/Danny)
3rd-1st: Leg 13, obv.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 11:15:29 AM »
That listing is a little bit deceiving as the number of teams (11 or 12) and the number of legs (11, 12, or 12) don't vary in the same way over the different cycles of the Race. Then there's the TBC (or uberlegs).  As I said, I'll have a long list to post, ranking all of the teams from 1 through 15 by average placement. You will be surprised by which team has the best 4th place finish, or the worst 1st place finish, and which teams finished better than the worse-performing final three team.

For the record, Eric/Jeremy have the best placement average in the history of TAR (1.75). Meghan and Cheyne cannot best that performance no matter how they finish the final leg of 15. And this is what make E/J's second place finish such a shock. Those two really did dominate their season.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 01:18:22 PM »
5th: Leg 10 (John Vito/Jill, Kami/Karli)

Yea i do agree that the fact that the 2 eliminations placed at the final 5 helped these 2 teams go really far.

Teams that won 3 legs in a row:
TAR 5: Colin and Christie
TAR 9: BJ and Tyler
TAR Allstars: Rob and Amber
TAR 13: Nick and Starr
TAR 15: Meghan and Cheyne

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 03:34:54 PM »

For the record, Eric/Jeremy have the best placement average in the history of TAR (1.75). Meghan and Cheyne cannot best that performance no matter how they finish the final leg of 15. And this is what make E/J's second place finish such a shock. Those two really did dominate their season.

And I will point out that Eric/Jeremy were great when it was not vital to be, but they finished behind BJ/Tyler in each of the final 3 legs of AR9. So, which is those teams is really the superior one?

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 03:42:55 PM »
It should be pointed out that Nick and Starr won 4 consecutive legs (5 through 8) in AR13. No other team has done that in the history of the Amazing Race.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 06:31:48 PM »
IF Meghan and Cheyne win TAR15.......they will end with 4 in a row.
Matthew 7:15

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 09:55:30 PM »

And I will point out that Eric/Jeremy were great when it was not vital to be, but they finished behind BJ/Tyler in each of the final 3 legs of AR9. So, which is those teams is really the superior one?

apskip, I'm using a strictly objective measurement (average placement per leg), and you're using a subjective element that involves opinion and not a verifiable number.  In other words, you are mixing apples and oranges.

BJ/Tyler weren't the only winners whose objective standing was lower than the second-place team. Take a look at some of the other seasons.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 10:28:40 PM »

It's also easier to beat 2 teams than it is to beat 10.

And in TARA 2, Marc and Rovilson won 8 of 12 legs, including 7 in a row (unless you want to count Japan as a separate leg, in which case it would be 8 of 13, including 4 in a row). And much like TAR 9, the winning team had a higher placement average than the (in this case) third-place team.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 11:13:07 PM »
I'm not going to comment on the regional editions of TAR because I have not seen them and therefore, I can't say that direct comparisons can be made.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 07:46:41 AM »

:funny: So what about the 2 NELs that BJ and Tyler fell on? Superior indeed... :res:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 06:40:25 PM »

:funny: So what about the 2 NELs that BJ and Tyler fell on? Superior indeed... :res:

They were smart enough to know that they would be non-elims! Ha! :funny:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 08:49:41 PM »

They were smart enough to know that they would be non-elims! Ha! :funny:

Flo & Zach knowing Leg 9 was a NEL <33333. :funny: Actually, two consecutive F5 NEL seasons always deliver. <33333
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2009, 11:20:09 PM »
I have departure times from Seasons 1 to 5.

Do you know if there's a compilation of every departure time in TAR history?

Someone said that they measured how great a team was by the amount of time that they beat the second place teams by, and I had never considered that before.

In TAR14, Tammy & Victor departed leg 3 first at 10:13am and Mel & Mike departed second at 12:01pm.  Tammy & Victor departed episode 12 first at 9:15pm and Margie & Luke departed second at 11:24pm.  In both cases, Tammy & Victor started the previous legs/episodes in second or worse place and ended up with huge leads without using a fast forward.

The only problem with using departure times are possible production errors, like in leg 8 of TAR14, where they said that Tammy & Victor departed first at 9:27pm and Jaime & Cara departed second at 12:31am.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 05:59:52 AM »
Try a combinaton of the book "My Ox is Broken" for races 1 to 9 and the new book "Circumnavigating the Globe: Amazing Race 10 - 14 and Amazing RAce Asia 1 - 3" for the rest. That will get you about 98% of deaparture times, but there is at least one episode that did ont give them.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 06:06:33 AM »
Which penalty is harder? Speed Bump, 30-min or the strip your clothes and money off penalty?

PS: By harder, I mean which is more likely to get eliminated on the next leg

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 06:41:02 AM »
No penalty:
Season 1: 3/4 teams in last after being saved the previous leg
Season 2: 1/4 teams in last after being saved the previous leg
Season 3: 0/3 teams in last after being saved the previous leg
Season 4: 0/3 teams in last after being saved the previous leg
Overall: 4/14 teams in last after being saved the previous leg
no money, begging allowed at Pit Stop:
Season 5: 0/4 teams in last after being saved the previous leg
no money, begging not allowed at Pit Stop:
Season 6: 1/3 teams in last after being saved the previous leg
only clothes/passports, begging not allowed at Pit Stop:
Season 7: 0/3 teams in last after being saved the previous leg
Season 8: 0/3 teams in last after being saved the previous leg
Season 9: 1/3 teams in last after being saved the previous leg
Overall: 1/9 teams in last after being saved the previous leg
30-min penalty:
Season 10: 2/3 teams in last after being saved the previous leg
Season 11: 2/4 teams in last after being saved the previous leg
Overall: 4/7 teams in last after being saved the previous leg
Speed Bump:
Season 12: 1/2 teams in last after being saved the previous leg
Season 13: 0/2 teams in last after being saved the previous leg
Season 14: 2/2 teams in last after being saved the previous leg
Season 15: 1/3 teams in last after being saved the previous leg
Overall: 4/9 teams in last after being saved the previous leg

Basing it on statistics (correct me if I'm wrong :funny:), the 30-minute penalty "eliminated" around 57.1% of the teams that finished last after being saved the previous leg, followed by the Speed Bump (44.4%), no penalty (28.6% -- wow :funny:) & the begging (33.3%, 11.1% & 0% separately, counting all begging penalties as one, 12.5%).
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 04:38:43 PM »
Try a combinaton of the book "My Ox is Broken" for races 1 to 9 and the new book "Circumnavigating the Globe: Amazing Race 10 - 14 and Amazing RAce Asia 1 - 3" for the rest. That will get you about 98% of deaparture times, but there is at least one episode that did ont give them.

Yes, Season 13 Episode 10 did not give the departure times (I have no idea why). But that's the only one I can think of.