Author Topic: Lame Immunity Challenge  (Read 3547 times)

Offline Venn

• RFF Newbie
  • I love Reality TV
Lame Immunity Challenge
« on: February 13, 2003, 08:20:06 PM »
I've watched every Survivor up to this one tonight, and I love the concept of finally pitting the women against the men.   I knew from the moment they started showing how poorly the women were doing setting up camp, and how well the men were doing, that the women would win the first challenge.   When I saw the challenge I could see why.  

Please remember past Survivors and the opening Immunity Challenge.  They were rugged endurance contests, pitting the strength of every member against the elements.  One weak link and the whole would fail.  Usually teams dragged themselves across the finish line and collapsed to the ground .. even the winning group was exhausted, breathing hard and bathed with sweat.  The Losing team usually collapsed as the finally dragged themselves across the line.

So what was tonights challenge all about? 2 puzzles and a balance beam? A net walk and a ladder climb and a lot of unlocking locks.  Both groups crossed the line and looked like they'd hardly worked up a sweat.  Ok, so you do want the women to have a fair chance of winning the first challenge, but do you have to make it this transparent?   I was really disappointed that they didn't give the women a better chance to prove themselves in a tougher first event.  I hope in the weeks to come we don't see more of the same.

I realize I'll be flamed for this, but go ahead.  There is no doubt in my mind that this contest was far easier then previous opening events, and certainly geared to give the women a better chance of winning.

On a side note, do you think Dan can even walk down stairs without falling over??!! *LOL*  

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by 1045980000 »

Offline archangelnot

• RFF Sr. Member
  • An Angel that has run amuck!
    • Votedoff.tv
Re: Lame Immunity Challenge
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2003, 09:05:21 PM »
Everyones entitled to their opinion Venn..

I kind of enjoyed it... if the guys could have gotten over that balance beam, they probably would have won that thing... The girls had problems on one puzzle, the guys on the other... the only difference between the 2 it seemed was the time the guys took getting over that beam.

I really enjoyed the show tonite... I'm glad they spent the extra time on "character" development because it gave you a chance to figure out now who you might root for, and who you'd like to see hit the road, instead of taking 3 or 4 shows to figure it out.   At lot better for "mainstream" watchers to get them hooked on the show.   Kudos, EPMB!

Theresa

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2003, 03:00:08 AM »
I think the immunity challenge was great, those guys had it made and they blew it.  Maybe you just didnt like it because the guys lost.  They sure were sweating when they were done, go back and watch it again.  Everyone was out of breath.  It was a good challenge and it had a good mix of things that both were good at, it was the same type of challenge that they had last year at several points during the season.  They have to make the challenges fair, something that either side has a chance at winning, if they make it all muscle and brawn challenges then people would loose interest.  

Theresa

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2003, 05:19:27 AM »
I think this first challenge was geared towards the women winning. Who has better balance? Women usually do! Wo can do puzzles faster, Women. I am not saying the games was rigged, but it was easy to have the women have a better chance of winning.
Rob

Theresa

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2003, 03:14:47 PM »
I think you men are just pour loosers, LOL.  Woman for sure do not always have better balance, I bet almost any man has better balance then me, LOL, probably even Daniel, LOL.  Also they had a rocket scientist and a computer programmer doing that puzzle, they should have quit looking at the women long enough to do the darn thing.  

Theresa

Offline gumlog

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • I love Reality TV
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2003, 08:58:06 AM »
Overall, the show was just ok. I am not convinced one way or another on the whole immunity challenge thing, mainly because I can't really remember the details of past groups.

I like the guys vs. girls thing, but I really think the show will be taking a turn for the worse. It really started last year with clay cussing all the time. Even this week, Mark jumps on the band wagon and throws a few words out their. That kind of language ultimately shows the intelligence of its user.

Other thing that this man vs. woman thing will bring out is the total depravity of the guys. I really don't need to hear about "sausage rituals" or "vagina power". The show is going to be way too much about sex and power.

The girls will have an advantage in community because they tend to be a little more group oriented. If one is down, the others will rally around them. The guys see weakness and they will attack it like hyenas on a leftover lion kill.

When these groups are finally put together, there will be a whole lot of adjusting to do.

Even though I am a man, I was glad to see them loose, because they were way too cocky and I put my points on the woman to win!

gumlog

Offline Bathfizzy

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2003, 09:13:50 PM »
Well I was finally able to watch Survivor tonight.  I had it taped as I was busy getting the kids to sleep, etc..  I enjoyed the immunity challenge as it focused on team work.  Remember they were chained together as eight and then as they completed each task, they were separated by two.  So this challenge had nothing to do with making it easier for the woman to win.  It had everything to do with working as a team.  The guys were way ahead but fell behind when the young boys faltered and then the rocket scientist and computer guy couldn't build the puzzle.  So as cocky as the guys were, this certainly humbled them.  ::)