Author Topic: Questions  (Read 149141 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: Questions
« Reply #275 on: March 05, 2010, 11:34:33 PM »
When trying to look at the patterns for NELs, it's not only the number of legs, but the total number of teams that season which are factors.  Some of the above posts are mixing 11 team and 12 team seasons, as well as the total number of legs and episodes (to account for uber-legs. You need to know both to see how many total NELs there are in a particular season.
This season is unusual for having 12 legs and 11 teams, because that generates an extra NEL than other recent seasons. On paper there would need to be 3 NELs (11 teams minus final three is 8 eliminations and final leg) I still wonder in the back of my mind if there's an uberleg in there somewhere which would reduce things to 2 NELs. OTOH, the intersection is there this week, and someone said that thens to be an NEL leg. (I honestly haven't checked if that is true.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #276 on: March 06, 2010, 12:01:50 AM »
Elimination station should also be taken into account.

The 5 teams at ES need to be eliminated at places that can easily deliver them to Mexico (i.e. before Seychelles).

If I were the TPTB, I would have a TBC in France: daytime in Lille, back to Paris at night. Probably not the case though.

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #277 on: March 06, 2010, 12:10:46 AM »
When trying to look at the patterns for NELs, it's not only the number of legs, but the total number of teams that season which are factors.  Some of the above posts are mixing 11 team and 12 team seasons, as well as the total number of legs and episodes (to account for uber-legs. You need to know both to see how many total NELs there are in a particular season.
This season is unusual for having 12 legs and 11 teams, because that generates an extra NEL than other recent seasons. On paper there would need to be 3 NELs (11 teams minus final three is 8 eliminations and final leg) I still wonder in the back of my mind if there's an uberleg in there somewhere which would reduce things to 2 NELs. OTOH, the intersection is there this week, and someone said that thens to be an NEL leg. (I honestly haven't checked if that is true.)

Plz tell me what is an uber-leg and OTOH?  :duno:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #278 on: March 06, 2010, 12:25:53 AM »
uber leg refers to the double-jointed to-be-continued legs. Different people like to call that concept in different ways. I like "uber" (from the German adjective form that means (giant-, large-, super- great- depending on context) because it's short and easy to remember.

OTOH = On The Other Hand.
-- theschnauzers

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #279 on: March 06, 2010, 10:11:20 AM »
uber leg refers to the double-jointed to-be-continued legs. Different people like to call that concept in different ways. I like "uber" (from the German adjective form that means (giant-, large-, super- great- depending on context) because it's short and easy to remember.

OTOH = On The Other Hand.

Awww thx for the explanation..I really apreesh! :flirt:

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #280 on: March 06, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
I want to ask a question.

During TAR 16 Episode 3 in Argentina, I heard Phil's doing a special something for the Chilean Earthquake (like the one in Sri Lanka and New Orleans). But I really can't find it. Is there really any or am I just dreaming?
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline kimj

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #281 on: March 06, 2010, 08:35:48 PM »
he done it at the beginning before tar started.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #282 on: March 06, 2010, 08:44:14 PM »
I haven't seen it anywhere, it was in the frist commercial, so it prob won't show on the international versions.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #283 on: March 06, 2010, 08:46:08 PM »
I haven't seen it anywhere, it was in the frist commercial, so it prob won't show on the international versions.

owkay. I hope someone can find it.
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #284 on: March 06, 2010, 08:49:21 PM »
I want to ask a question.

During TAR 16 Episode 3 in Argentina, I heard Phil's doing a special something for the Chilean Earthquake (like the one in Sri Lanka and New Orleans). But I really can't find it. Is there really any or am I just dreaming?

It was`done as a "CBS Cares" message, but it's not on the CBS Cares website or YouTube, that I could find.

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #285 on: March 08, 2010, 04:49:21 PM »
 :-[ Can someone remind me what exactly takes place during a Blind UTurn....I vaguely remember someone did it to Rob & amber to slow them down from 1st all the time or am i not remembering correctly?

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #286 on: March 08, 2010, 05:11:09 PM »
Blind U-turns are the same as the normal variant, except the team does not have to put up a Courtesy of photo. The idea is to promote people using the U-turn.

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #287 on: March 08, 2010, 05:11:13 PM »
A U-Turn forces that team to go back and do the other Detour option, after they have completed one of the options.

For instance, if a team had been U-Turned in the last episode after completing the Soccer challenge, they would have had to go do the Sauerkraut challenge as well, before continuing.  (Often times, the challenges are closer together when the U-Turn shows up.)

The Blind U-Turn was introduced in Season 14, and just means that the team that forces another team to U-Turn does not reveal themselves.  In a regular U-Turn, the team that gets there earlier, places their own picture at the top, and the picture of the team they are U-Turning at the bottom, so the U-Turned team knows who did it to them.

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #288 on: March 08, 2010, 05:23:12 PM »
Ahhh....great explantation...TY all so much! Puts a target on your back if it's not blind...Better work!LOL

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #289 on: March 20, 2010, 02:48:38 AM »
i am confused by one user in the wikipedia, i don't know is a he or a she, ok, this is the question, did the teams travel by train or plane to singapore from penang, this user said that is by train, i am confused?? could someone here give me an answer. thanks
Singaporean here - PM me, if you need me to translate, Chinese, Malay, English, German or Japanese

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #290 on: March 20, 2010, 04:14:30 AM »
:-[ Can someone remind me what exactly takes place during a Blind UTurn....I vaguely remember someone did it to Rob & amber to slow them down from 1st all the time or am i not remembering correctly?

I don't think it is to Rob & Amber as the u-turn came on after Season 12

[/quote]
i am confused by one user in the wikipedia, i don't know is a he or a she, ok, this is the question, did the teams travel by train or plane to singapore from penang, this user said that is by train, i am confused?? could someone here give me an answer. thanks

There are trains from Penang - KL - Singapore perhaps this could also go into time line thread georgiapeach? But Evan, note Wiki isn't reliable...

http://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm#Train%20times%C2%A0

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #291 on: March 20, 2010, 04:50:42 AM »
i know, the thing is i am confused by the travelling route, TAR 3 sees teams travel from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore by train, and this season also same route of travel, also i am helping to edit the wikipedia page, that's why i am trying to make the page as accurate as possible.

There are trains from Penang - KL - Singapore perhaps this could also go into time line thread georgiapeach? But Evan, note Wiki isn't reliable...

Singaporean here - PM me, if you need me to translate, Chinese, Malay, English, German or Japanese

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #292 on: March 20, 2010, 07:05:53 AM »
:-[ Can someone remind me what exactly takes place during a Blind UTurn....I vaguely remember someone did it to Rob & amber to slow them down from 1st all the time or am i not remembering correctly?Here is what happened

Here is what happened to Rob and Amber in AR11:
Ecuador leg - in first place from departure from Pim's restaurant
Calama leg - bunched on flight from Santiago to Calama, then took first by completing the front-loader DETOUR quickly
Puerto Montt leg - they were ahead on the drive from Metri to Petrohue area and possibly before that
Patagonia leg - they did poorly on the Magellan sign DETOUR, had to switch DETOURS to navigate, were on the second charter from Puntas Arenas to Ushaia and were tied for next-to-last with Uchenna/Joyce on the boat trip to Isla Redonda before elimination

Here is what happened to them on AR7(Dawne - thanks for the reminder below allowing me to fix this):
Lima Peru leg - they appeared to catch the next bus available to Ancon and stayed in front
Arequipa/Santiago leg - Rob's skill in stacking books in DETOUR Schlep earns them the lead
Mendoza leg - Rob's decision to not do the Meat-Eating ROADBLOCK put them 3 hours behind
Gauchos/Buenos Aires leg - Rob and Amber barely made the 930pm plane with lead group; in Tigre they are lucky on the "Shipwreck  DETOUR (I think they did that over Island) and retook first place
South Africa leg - they fought Ray/Deana for reaching the cooling tower DETOUR first, lost and finished in 5th place
Botswana leg - spear-throwing ROADBLOCK and Land Rover performance puts them 2nd of 4 teams finishing close together
Botswana 2 leg - in a close Land Rover drive to the Khwai River Lodge they finished 1 minute ahead of Ron/Kelly
Lucknow/Jodhpur leg - finished with Ron/Kelly 2 minutes behind Uchenna/Joyce winning with FAST FORWARD by head shaving
Istanbul - Rob's taunt resulted in Mereigh?Gretchen (thanks for Dr. Rox for the correction) and Uchenna/Joyce finding an earlier flight arrival and pushing Rob/Amber to 3rd place
London - they build a substantial lead by Yielding Ron/Kelly and good performance at the double-decker bus parking task
Jamaica - Ron/Amber and Ron/Kelly finish in dead heat
Puerto Rico/Miami/ft. Lauderdale - probably the most famous finishing episode in AR history, Rob/Amber cannot find a Cuban cigar store in Spanish in Little Havana, Miami

I had stated previously and Evan Weinstein above that the U-turn was instituted in season 12, so Rob/Amber not participating after season 11 makes it impossible for them to have been U-turned by anyone. However, Yields were in effect. In AR5, Rob/Amber Yielded Ron/Kelly but no team used it on them in legs 3 and 8 when it went unused. In AR11, Dustin/Kandice and Danny/Oswald used the yields on Eric/Danielle, but nobody got the opportunity to do so on Rob/Amber. Since they were seldom out of first place in the first 3 legs, that would have been quite difficult to impossible.

I think your memory is deceiving you, as the only penalty that Rob/Amber ever received was for the Mendoza meat eating ROADBLOCK caused Rob to elect the 4 hour penalty for non-completion with the knowledge that if even one other team did, they practically could not be eliminated or if as it turned Debbie/Bianca finished one hour later they were safe.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 04:32:32 PM by apskip »

Offline River

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #293 on: March 20, 2010, 07:31:04 AM »
Just a reminder that Rob & Amber were in TAR 7..

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #294 on: March 20, 2010, 08:43:26 AM »
Great summary, apskip!!

Here is what happened to them on AR7(Dawne - thanks for the reminder below allowing me to fix this):

Istanbul - Rob's taunt resulted in Ron/Kelly and Uchenna/Joyce finding an earlier flight arrival and pushing Rob/Amber to 3rd place

Guess my memory is fading. I thougth Rob's taunt got Uchenna/Joyce and Meredith/Gretchen the early flight and resulted in a NEL for Ron/Kelly? Rob/Amber still came in 3rd though.

Puerto Rico/Miami/ft. Lauderdale - probably the most famous finishing episode in AR history, Rob/Amber cannot find a Cuban cigar store in Spanish in Little Havana, Miami

Just a little more in depth. Rob/Amber were first out of the Miami airport and got the first taxi. The driver was Haitian and French speaking. He was not at all familiar with Little Havana. Uchenny/Joyce were 2nd to the taxis and got a Cuban driver that was very familiar with Little Havana and drove them right to the cigar store. I remember when I was watching the episode and going UH OH when Rob/Amber got that clue to go to Little Havana.

I have always wondered about the time differential between U/J and R/A at the finish line.........anyone know the answer? Editing made it seem that it was very close..........but we know how that goes.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #295 on: March 20, 2010, 10:18:38 AM »
i know, the thing is i am confused by the travelling route, TAR 3 sees teams travel from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore by train, and this season also same route of travel, also i am helping to edit the wikipedia page, that's why i am trying to make the page as accurate as possible.

Based on the emphasis of self-driving (4 out of 6 episodes!) and especially navigation this season , I am 95% expecting a train ride. This also gives Phil a day to film in Singapore, while still giving teams only about a 12-hour pitstop.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #296 on: March 20, 2010, 01:33:35 PM »
Evan, the correct answer is that we don't know yet (unless I am forgetting something??), so nothing should be assumed at this point. We see Phil in what we believe to be Penang airport, but whether racers fly or take the train is not known at this point. I would love the train myself though.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #297 on: March 20, 2010, 04:31:14 PM »
Dr. Rox,
Thanks for the correction on Meredith/Gretchen (who finished # 2 on that leg as a result) flying with Uchenna/Joyce.

I member that the answer to your question about how far behind Uchenna/Joyce did Rob/Amber was about 25 minutes, from non-official sources  like interviews with Uchenna/Joyce since the official ones will not tell you.

Offline Evan_Weinstein

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Amazing Racer
    • EVANMINAL-MINDS
« Reply #298 on: March 21, 2010, 12:31:08 AM »
ic, thanks for clearing my doubts
Evan, the correct answer is that we don't know yet (unless I am forgetting something??), so nothing should be assumed at this point. We see Phil in what we believe to be Penang airport, but whether racers fly or take the train is not known at this point. I would love the train myself though.

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #299 on: March 30, 2010, 01:31:45 AM »
Hi Peach,

I tried to send you a pm and it said your inbox was full. Just wanted to let you know. :)