Author Topic: Questions  (Read 148815 times)

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Questions
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2009, 06:00:02 PM »
:colors :-[ :-[
OMG..LMBO..Now what's a speedbump.....?

I have watched TAR but not recently, so plz excuse the dumb questions...I knew what a NEL was, just didn't recognize the abbreviation....TYSM

When someone comes in last on an NEL, they are spared from elimination but must encounter a speedbump on the next leg, which is a task only they must do as a result of comming in last.

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2009, 06:03:36 PM »
 :kuss:
Thx muches....

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2009, 06:24:08 PM »
:colors :-[ :-[
OMG..LMBO..Now what's a speedbump.....?

I have watched TAR but not recently, so plz excuse the dumb questions...I knew what a NEL was, just didn't recognize the abbreviation....TYSM

The speed bump is just an extra task that the team must perform as a penalty for being the last team to arrive on the previous leg.

If you watched earlier seasons, you know that they used to take away a team's belongings and cash as the NEL penalty.  But having Americans beg for cash overseas wasn't a very good image, so they developed other penalties for the NEL teams.

In the most recent episode, Ericka and Brian had to go to that bar and mix an Absinthe drink and drink it as their speed bump.

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2009, 06:56:16 PM »
 :jumpy:
Glad they did away with the begging! Thx for the update....

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2009, 08:50:32 AM »
It would be nice if they had done away with the begging, but no such luck. Teams can still beg, but not in U.S. airports and not where a country prohibits it. Many teams beg on airplanes and in foreign airports (almost all the ones used in each Amazing Race) in order to build up a strategic financial reserve that can be used for encouraging taxi drivers to go above the speed limit, for hiring taxis to follow when self-driving, for extra snacks or whatever. The fact that there is no requirement to do so after finishing last in an NEL makes the need for begging a little less but does not by any means eliminate it.

Offline kittygoesmeow

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2009, 09:05:28 AM »
I've had a question for quite a while actually, so I guess now is as good a time as ever to ask it :)

When the teams are driving themselves, are they set to any rules, like staying under a certain speed limit? I thought I remembered quite a while ago that one team was given a penalty for something like that.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2009, 10:12:26 AM »
Supposedly yes, but there is some room here as we see with teams getting speeding tickets. I think if they are REALLY meant to follow the speed limit, they gey that in the extra info. But sometimes it is their choice. The cameramen are authorized to make them slow down if at any point they fele unsafe, however.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline jmb510

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2009, 11:14:11 AM »
I have a question about the rest period between legs.  I was always under the assumption that they rest time was always 12 hours, but I've now learned that it can be up to 36 hours.  Are teams able to go out and explore the area on their own or must they stay at the pit stop for the duration of the rest? 

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2009, 11:37:28 AM »
Strict sequester. They are not uncommonly on room lockdowns.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2009, 12:05:24 PM »
I've had a question for quite a while actually, so I guess now is as good a time as ever to ask it :)

When the teams are driving themselves, are they set to any rules, like staying under a certain speed limit? I thought I remembered quite a while ago that one team was given a penalty for something like that.

The way they seem to do it (to me, anyway) is that they can speed, but they get a penalty if they get busted for it.

However, in certain situations, (Like in All-stars, and I suspect Season 7) they enforce strict speed limits for safety reasons.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2009, 01:03:10 PM »
I have a question about the rest period between legs.  I was always under the assumption that they rest time was always 12 hours, but I've now learned that it can be up to 36 hours.  Are teams able to go out and explore the area on their own or must they stay at the pit stop for the duration of the rest? 

I will add that teams are not mingling with each other anymore.

Offline 2old4tech

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2009, 01:11:07 PM »
^ But I remember Margie and Luke talking about having lunch or dinner with other teams and discussing using a possible upcoming U-turn.  Maybe Luke could chime in here.

And don't forget Terrence getting mad at Sarah for too much mingling

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2009, 01:30:08 PM »
In TAR 14 teams began to be strictly sequestered from each other at Pitstops about halfway through the race...their "rations" were also cut waaaay back. Season 13 also saw some of this a little later.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Red_Head_RacerTAR21

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2009, 01:56:32 PM »
Question: I read in another thread that the Miss Teen Cali was 20.  I though you had to be 21 to apply.  Has that rule changed?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2009, 02:14:30 PM »
As always, it is at the producers' discretion. She will turn 21 while the race is airing.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2009, 08:06:37 AM »
And it's Miss Teen South Carolina, not California, Catilin Upton.

Offline kimj

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2009, 04:28:32 PM »
when do you think we will hear anything? dying to find something uot at least where they are at.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2009, 05:13:29 PM »
when do you think we will hear anything? dying to find something uot at least where they are at.

Two weeks before the season starts is usually when the press releases start flooding.

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2009, 08:03:19 PM »
Is the radio chat tonight about season 16?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2009, 08:15:50 PM »
rffradio? Rob is doing the interviews with the final 3, not sure if hes going to talk about 16? He's pretty excited about the spoilers this season so far so he might?

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2009, 08:31:58 PM »
rffradio? Rob is doing the interviews with the final 3, not sure if hes going to talk about 16? He's pretty excited about the spoilers this season so far so he might?

85000 posts  :jam:

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2009, 09:07:48 PM »

Sounds good! Thanks

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2009, 12:06:42 AM »
Does CBS give out a Map with the routes the teams went on before the season starts? When did they start doing this? I thought it was better if it was left a mystery until the season began?

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2009, 12:07:48 AM »
Does CBS give out a Map with the routes the teams went on before the season starts? When did they start doing this? I thought it was better if it was left a mystery until the season began? And a lot more fun for sites like this one to figure it out.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2009, 12:13:07 AM »
They began doing this in TAR 13. I believe the intended effect was to attract more viewers by saying HEY WE WENT TO THIS FAMOUS CITY.