Author Topic: The Amazing Race 16 Destinations/Locations  (Read 258237 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: The Amazing Race 16 Destinations/Locations
« Reply #500 on: January 21, 2010, 03:53:33 PM »
Ypres is way NW.

I really don't trust Paraquay.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #501 on: January 21, 2010, 04:10:05 PM »
Ypres is way NW.

This was the first thread I read this afternoon. After reading all the other posts today, Paraguay has to be out. That was good deception. But I think it is very easy to fly into Hamburg and for the teams to make their way to Paris with either 2/3 legs on land only travel. Then fly out of Paris to the Seyschelles.

When the Beatles first started going to Hamburg, I think they were called the Quarymen......changed to Beatles later.
Matthew 7:15

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #502 on: January 21, 2010, 09:17:38 PM »
Early days of the Beatles is all about Liverpool isn't it?? Could we have Liverpool and not Paraguay?? ???

probably that Beatles thing is none other than Sir Paul McCartney who had a honeymoon vacation with his former wife, Heather Mills in Seychelles (a country that will feature on TAR 16) way back 8 years ago.  And here is the link of it: http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-87100675.html

And also, the late George Harrison had his own estate located on Seychelles as well, in the island of FRÉGATE.
I think that'll solve the problem. :tup:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 08:17:04 AM by TexasLady »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #503 on: January 21, 2010, 09:20:29 PM »
Ypres is way NW.

This was the first thread I read this afternoon. After reading all the other posts today, Paraguay has to be out. That was good deception. But I think it is very easy to fly into Hamburg and for the teams to make their way to Paris with either 2/3 legs on land only travel. Then fly out of Paris to the Seyschelles.

When the Beatles first started going to Hamburg, I think they were called the Quarymen......changed to Beatles later.

The Beatles were initially named Quarrymen.

Offline RichInSydney

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #504 on: January 21, 2010, 09:23:29 PM »
And also, the late George Harrison had his own estate located on Seychelles as well, in the island of FRÉGATE, and here's the link:

George Harrison and the other Beatles have estates all over the world! Basic Google search of "early days of Beatles" point to Hamburg or Liverpool. Will CBS be releasing a route map soon?
"I wish the world was flat like the old days, and I could travel just by folding a map."

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #505 on: January 21, 2010, 09:43:16 PM »
Will CBS be releasing a route map soon?

Hope not! I like Neobie's better and it is more fun to puzzle it out.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #506 on: January 21, 2010, 09:56:52 PM »
Remember that the World War I reenactment doesn't actually have to take place on an actual battlefield! Don't know why, but I've a gut feeling on Strasbourg.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #507 on: January 21, 2010, 09:59:36 PM »
I have been looking at all the nonstop flights possible to get to Mahe International Airport in the Seychelles from Europe. The best is clearly from Paris-CDG. The others are:

Frankfurt [ends 11 April]
 London-Heathrow
 Milan-Malpensa
 Moscow-Vnukovo
 Paris-Charles de Gaulle
 Rome-Fiumicino
 Zürich [ends 15 April]

Connecting flights are also possible through Doha and Dubai.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #508 on: January 21, 2010, 10:22:45 PM »
I am going to issue a location for an activity. The hang-gliding/birdman task would make sense in the Andean summer if it started from the top of a ski slope above Bariloche. I have seen a Bariloche area video with hang-gliding.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #509 on: January 21, 2010, 11:09:38 PM »
Remember that the World War I reenactment doesn't actually have to take place on an actual battlefield! Don't know why, but I've a gut feeling on Strasbourg.
Strasbourg is a TGV ride away from CDG airport. Also, if one were to draw a line between Hamburg and Strasbourg, Frankfurt would be on that line.  :tup:

Offline Paron

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #510 on: January 22, 2010, 04:39:08 AM »
Ypres is way NW.

The Beatles were initially named Quarrymen.
Quarrymen?  Having Gargoyles flashbacks from seeing that name.

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #511 on: January 22, 2010, 06:17:09 AM »
The city of Strasbourg wasn't destroyed nor a battleground during the First World War but here are some of the lists of battles that are fought on that event which is mostly found within the Western Front (from France to Belgium) and these are:

1. Battle of Ypres (in Belgium)
2. Battle of Marne (in France)
3. Battle of Verdun (in France)
4. Battle of the Somme (in France)

see one of those infos about World War I battles and Western Front at wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Front_(World_War_I)

my wishlists:

1. Hopefully they don't use chemical warfares during their tasks in France just like what happened during World War I.  It's very dangerous for the TAR 16 racers. :-[

2. And also, their pit stop should be in the city of Ypres in Belgium so that it'll be the 1st time to be feature on TAR, not in France itself.  And it's been a long time that Belgium didn't visited it for this show since season 1 (thanks to India and China). (:;)

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #512 on: January 22, 2010, 06:33:09 AM »
Ypres is way NW.

Peach:
It's not often you make a geography goof, but it looks like you have here. Ypres is in the Southwest part of Belgium. Since I am not sure precisely what you were getting at, Paris is also west of the entire country of Belgium. I made one too, as I believed Mons was in northern France when it really is in Belgium. Here is a schematic map of Belgium to illustrate where Ypres is:

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 07:47:17 PM by TexasLady »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #513 on: January 22, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
Ypres is way NW.

Peach:
It's not often you make a geography goof, but it looks like you have here. Ypres is in the Southwest part of Belgium. Since I am not sure precisely what you were getting at, Paris is also west of the entire country of Belgium. I made one too, as I believed Mons was in northern France when it really is in Belgium. Here is a schematic map of Belgium to illustrate where Ypres is:

Cool map, AP. Brings back a lot of fond memories.

As to Peach's geography goof, I guess its all in the interpretation. I might have read more into what Peach said, but I took her comment to mean the location of the Ypres battlefield in relatonship to all the other famous battlefields that took place in the area of your map. It would be very hard to find a battle field farther NW on your map, than maybe Dunkirk, which was WWII. All of the other major battlefields are either south or southeast of Ypres. So in that context, I too believe that the Ypres battlefield is just way to far NW.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 07:48:08 PM by TexasLady »
Matthew 7:15

Offline ams06

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #514 on: January 22, 2010, 10:31:58 AM »
Not sure if you have seen this blurb from this travel blog but could this possibly be where the grandmother/granddaughter duo were eliminated?

Bariloche was beautiful but windy and cold - bring not just "layers" but a heavy coat, gloves, scarf, thermal undewear. The young sheep farm host was hilarious and the farm will be featured on the Amazing Race in February.

It was posted Jan 5, 2010. I believe the name of the sheep farm is Fortin Chjacabuco sheep ranch

Here's the link https://www.gct.com/gcc/general/default.aspx?oid=269504
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 10:38:35 AM by ams06 »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #515 on: January 22, 2010, 10:37:15 AM »
I am used to calling that part of France the NW coast.. just included that bit of Belgium as well. It is an area well known to me. Ypres just seems too far "out", aside from the fact that it is in Begium not France. :lol:

I have sent out some feelers to several historical reenactment groups, will see if they can turn up anything.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #516 on: January 22, 2010, 10:46:28 AM »
Not sure if you have seen this blurb from this travel blog but could this possibly be where the grandmother/granddaughter duo were eliminated?

Bariloche was beautiful but windy and cold - bring not just "layers" but a heavy coat, gloves, scarf, thermal undewear. The young sheep farm host was hilarious and the farm will be featured on the Amazing Race in February.

It was posted Jan 5, 2010. I believe the name of the sheep farm is Fortin Chjacabuco sheep ranch

Here's the link https://www.gct.com/gcc/general/default.aspx?oid=269504

Wonderful find ams06!! This looks great and gives us another task location in the Bariloche area!

Here is the location and their website:

Estancia Fortín Chacabuco - Ruta 40  Km 2061 - Neuquén - Patagonia Argentina

http://www.estanciaspatagonicas.com/laestancia_en.htm

Sheep shearing anyone?? I didn't see any LLAMA pictures though.  :duno:

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 05:15:26 PM by TexasLady »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #517 on: January 22, 2010, 10:51:20 AM »
Here is another map link for the area if anyone can spot it better: Googling 2041 km didn't get me anywhere! :lol: General location foor exploring only, the "A" is another hotel.

http://maps.google.es/maps?f=d&saddr=-41.242885,-71.462567&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=16&sll=-41.242788,-71.459563&sspn=0.009406,0.016136&ie=UTF8&ll=-41.228765,-71.427784&spn=0.079786,0.132523&t=h&z=13

Interestingly, some of the other hotels in the area offer a ropes course...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 10:58:39 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #518 on: January 22, 2010, 12:33:35 PM »
is this it? ^^^^^^

Follow up Bariloche

Leopoldo Tiberi, responsible for communication of Tourism Promotion Combined Entity (Emprotur) from Bariloche, stressed that the implementation is an enormous promotional value. "

The Amazing Race (The Great Race), reality show competition of the American CBS network broadcast worldwide, recorded one of the stages in Bariloche, before continuing the filming in Germany, said the tourist promotional agency of the city .

The filming was done days ago on location on el río Limay River

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #519 on: January 22, 2010, 12:52:30 PM »
Yes!! That's it!!

Oh wow, I REALLY need to reread the whole entire spoiler thread post by post. :(  These little links are so PC but darn, I miss stuff.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #520 on: January 22, 2010, 12:56:11 PM »
Yes!! That's it!!

Oh wow, I REALLY need to reread the whole entire spoiler thread post by post. :(  These little links are so PC but darn, I miss stuff.
I haven't fought my way through the speculation thread yet peach and I know there is some good info in there that I missed....... somewhere  :lol:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #521 on: January 22, 2010, 12:57:17 PM »
Slowhatch ..yeah! :jam:

Thanks, Puddin. The site in the photo is south of the estancia, so maybe the ranch is the pit stop.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #522 on: January 22, 2010, 02:37:24 PM »
I have been digging out information for all around Nahuel Huapi National Park. I finally found something that actual mentions delta wing paragliding:

La Angostura incorporated to its gentle urban layout a golf course, a "country" (gated residential compound), a ski center in Mt Bayo (meaning and an excellent hotel infrastructure facing lakes Nahuel Huapi and Correntoso).

The latter fact makes it specially suited to the practicing of nautical activities, especially fishing, all kinds of navigation (windsurf, sailboats and cruise ships) and, obviously, trekking, horse riding, mountain biking, hang-gliding and delta wing gliding.

La Angostura is highlighted on Peach's fine map. I consider it NW of Bariloche, but the direction from where the Limay River flows is SW to NE, entering Nahuel Huapi Lake at its further south point near Bariloche. Its most salient feature for delta wing gliding is that up Cerro Bayo there are no fewer than two double chairlifts, five teleskis, a T-Bar teleski and two Baby-Lifts, with a total uphill capacity of 4,500 an hour.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 05:21:50 PM by apskip »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #523 on: January 22, 2010, 03:54:35 PM »
nvm... I need to be in spec or the promo thread.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #524 on: January 23, 2010, 02:05:58 AM »
Bringing this over from Sailing's find in spec:

It appears that it may be Liverpool instead of Hamburg, based on this press release:

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/tube-talk/tv-news/2010/01/amazing-race-returns-feb-14-here-are-the-teams/

...now the question is whether it will survive a race around the world, including a first stop in Chile and later challenges including the reenactment of a World War I battle in France and a Beatles-centric puzzle in Liverpool, England.
RFF's Golden Rule: