Author Topic: The Amazing Race 16 Destinations/Locations  (Read 258207 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: The Amazing Race 16 Destinations/Locations
« Reply #400 on: December 23, 2009, 11:36:53 AM »
Since Angel Danger gave us a shout out I'll re-post the blog, thanks Angel Danger  :cmas20

Note: Reality Fan Forum/ other Amazing Race spoiler boards- I was at the flyer on Sunday (December 12), a few days before the Amazing Race hit up Singapore. As Kevin and I were leaving the compound to head to our regular bar for more drinking, I noticed a sign saying that the complex was closed Wednesday for a few hours for a private filming and assumed it was for the Singapore Idol finals or a local tv channel filiming some drama serial or a commercial. He said yeah, it could be any of these..... But for the love of god, as a lurker on the Reality Fan Forum board, who'd have imagined the Amazing Race being filmed there..............damn, how stupid of me not to think so- I've been a huge fan since the Rob and Amber season (7) till now. I instantly called Kevin back and he had the same reaction as me ie oh my god holy crap. Had I not been so tired out from going across the causeway on Tuesday and suspected the Amazing Race was in Singapore, I would have gone out to the complex to scout but well, I stayed home all of Wednesday.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #401 on: December 23, 2009, 10:40:15 PM »
Just finished a short trip to verify for myself the path the Moms were walking at Union Station. I stood in the same spot and the photos below show the viewpoint from behind and in front of them. Behind them is the ticket counter and the door to a garden area called the South Patio that many people use as a shortcut (beyond the patio is the neat Fred Harvey restaurant, now used only for weddings and movie shoots; too bad it couldn't be a starting point). In front of them is the Red Line entrance and baggage claim. To their left is the main salon and to their immediate right is the tunnel leading to the Amtrak platforms and the Flyaway bus. If it's the bus they're after they need to do a lot of asking; I only found one sign for the Flyaway--at the end of the tunnel next to the bus stop itself.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:16:48 PM by TexasLady »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #402 on: December 23, 2009, 10:58:23 PM »
Thank you Slowhatch.  I was thinking about going down there ... post holidays.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:21:54 PM by TexasLady »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #403 on: December 23, 2009, 11:16:47 PM »
Once again some amazing work, you guys all rock!  :cmas20

Just finished a short trip to verify for myself the path the Moms were walking at Union Station. I stood in the same spot and the photos below show the viewpoint from behind and in front of them. Behind them is the ticket counter and the door to a garden area called the South Patio that many people use as a shortcut (beyond the patio is the neat Fred Harvey restaurant, now used only for weddings and movie shoots; too bad it couldn't be a starting point). In front of them is the Red Line entrance and baggage claim. To their left is the main salon and to their immediate right is the tunnel leading to the Amtrak platforms and the Flyaway bus. If it's the bus they're after they need to do a lot of asking; I only found one sign for the Flyaway--at the end of the tunnel next to the bus stop itself.

Offline sweetpeatx

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #404 on: December 23, 2009, 11:45:03 PM »
I'm not sure where to put this, or if it is even news here.  Remember the photo of Phil eating at McDonalds?  I had tweeted the guy and asked where the photo was taken and he just answered me yesterday.  He said, "Dubai."

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #405 on: December 24, 2009, 01:54:25 AM »
I'm not sure where to put this, or if it is even news here.  Remember the photo of Phil eating at McDonalds?  I had tweeted the guy and asked where the photo was taken and he just answered me yesterday.  He said, "Dubai."
thanks for the info sweetpeatx , good job

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #406 on: December 24, 2009, 02:21:38 AM »
Thanks sweetpeatx, that will help the Timeline a lot!  :cmas16
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #407 on: December 24, 2009, 04:25:06 AM »
Do you guys think they're doing Dubai in back-to-back seasons, or if it is just a connection (almost like FRANKFURT :cmaslol), since it has flights almost everywhere from there?
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline Seattlite

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #408 on: December 24, 2009, 08:40:39 AM »
While it has been done before (India), I doubt they would since it was so well covered. I can't think of another aspect to feature.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #409 on: December 24, 2009, 09:03:10 AM »
Good job following up.
I can't seem to match up the pic with the Dubai McD's though. Is it possible the guy is covering up his location because he is WRP crew and in trouble for posting it? I thought we had it pretty well pinpointed Phil being in Penang.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 09:10:06 AM by walkingpneumonia »
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #410 on: December 24, 2009, 01:27:47 PM »
I looked last night as well, the McD looks different...will try to work on it more after the holidays.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #411 on: December 28, 2009, 01:09:42 AM »
I'm not sure what the caption of this photo means: the photo seems to have been created today (27 Dec), and he might be referring to a former racer.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #412 on: December 28, 2009, 02:23:50 AM »
Interesting find...was this was one of our possible start locations? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #413 on: December 28, 2009, 10:29:29 AM »
I'm not sure what the caption of this photo means: the photo seems to have been created today (27 Dec), and he might be referring to a former racer.

hmmmmm...  if he's Taegen Carter, the director/screenwriter, then he has an inside connection to the entertainment industry in L.A.  

:yess:  (hint of a possible TAR connection)

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 11:08:50 AM by Boingo »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #414 on: December 28, 2009, 11:46:37 AM »
Interesting find...was this was one of our possible start locations? ???
Someone migh have thrown that idea out, I'll have to read back to see who it was? Thanks Slowhatch and Boingo  :rodeo

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: The Amazing Race 16 First Destination!
« Reply #415 on: December 28, 2009, 02:10:42 PM »
Amazing race: I just called my friend in Toronto.There is flags and a cluebox outside the brickworks. 

:funny: :funny: :funny:

Liar, Liar pants on fire.

Have we got anyone here from Santiago or in particular Valparaiso!
well, speaking of fire, there's a forest fire going on in Valparaiso, Chile, the 1st city to be raced on TAR 16: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8432347.stm

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #416 on: December 28, 2009, 03:04:35 PM »
 :cmas19  sorry if this was posted previously, but a TARLA(?) sighting in San Telmo (Market), [Buenos Aires] Argentina here   :cmas5

not sure if TARLA was filming at the time... could be nothing...  :cmas10
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 10:47:30 AM by Boingo »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #417 on: December 28, 2009, 03:45:46 PM »
IIRC, the Disney Concert Hall is in the vicinity of the first Tweets and the underground tunnel that was closed on the first day of filming TAR 16.

Whether it means anything in particular as to TAR 16 is another question altogether.
-- theschnauzers

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #418 on: December 28, 2009, 06:53:51 PM »
Was Boingo that pointed out the Walt Disney Concert Hall first I believe  :cmas26

Been looking into this a bit... and just going with the hotel spoilers in downtown LA... you can extrapolate something like this....

One of the downtown hotels used by USC (to house alumni/team) is the Omni Hotel

Given that, what else is there to do downtown within walking distance of the hotel....

- Angels Flight (funicular) next to Omni (closed for repairs)
- Walt Disney Concert Hall (modern Bilbao-like structure) possible indoor start ?
- a whole lot of nothing.........  but great access to the freeways...

In short, I got nothin'   :groan:

Could this be connected to the start location??? see (9)   =
http://ens.lacity.org/bpw/agendas/bpwagendas8663713_11252009.pdf
 but I think it would be close to where teams were spotted??? (I'm probably just grasping at straws  :duno:)

^^ that might have been a filming for cars Radical

COMMUNI- Film L.A. Inc. #1, requesting Board grant @Radical
CATIONS Media, Inc. permission to close 2nd Street tunnel from
Hill Street to Figueroa Street on Saturday and Sunday,
November 28-29, 2009 from 5:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
for filming purposes

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #419 on: December 29, 2009, 05:20:56 AM »
Remember this sighting ..

Phil spotted in Dubai en route to Malaysia (12/12 EK342 arriving 10:30am); team spotted en route from Kuala Lumpur to Penang (12/14)

found a blog  ...

Scooting Around
12/14/09: Penang, Malaysia

We scooted to the Kek Lok Si Temple, which is the biggest Buddhist temple in Southeast Asia. Kevin and I aren’t very good at visiting temples, since we usually don’t know anything about them except whatever they say in the brochure they hand out to visitors.

Anyway, the temple seemed nice enough – it was really colorful, which made for some pretty pictures. We spent about half an hour there and were getting ready to leave when Kevin, who was at the front stairs, waved and motioned excitedly for me to come look. “It’s The Amazing Race! And sure enough, it was. Kevin offered up the idea of following the Amazing Race-rs around all day, which I promptly vetoed. I wasn’t going to let us spend our one day in Penang scooting around aimlessly looking for things we couldn’t find.

more at the link above
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 05:40:18 AM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #420 on: December 29, 2009, 05:29:54 AM »
Kek Lok Si Temple is pretty awesome

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 07:32:42 PM by TexasLady »

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #421 on: December 29, 2009, 04:59:20 PM »
wow looks really nice, this would be F5 would it not?
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #422 on: December 30, 2009, 04:24:05 AM »
Had a wonderful reply with more info from Kevin and Zhou from www.nohurrycurry.wordpress.com!!

They write:

We were about to leave Kekloksi Temple near Penang Hill around 11am on 12/14 when one team and its cameraman and coordinator hopped out of a taxi. A few minutes later two more teams showed up and each team was asking some locals for help. Eventually they all figured out they were in the wrong spot. I was standing next to one of the guys at this point (trying to offer my map but he was talking to a local), and I'm pretty sure they were all supposed to be at Kuan Yin Teng (Goddess of Mercy Temple), but am not 100%. A couple hours later we went to this temple and didn't see any trace of the race.

All we can remember about the teams was that there were three of them - one father/daughter team, one team of two younger guys, and one unknown. (Sending pics for review--peach)

.... They sent a few pics >>>( the last team to leave, since I was too excited that we were watching TAR to take pictures or video up to that point) is the father and daughter.

Unfortunately we didn't get to see a challenge of any sort, but hope this is helpful anyway. Let us know if you need any more information.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #423 on: December 30, 2009, 11:01:44 AM »
Thanks peach thanks Kevin and Zhou, fantastic confirmation that this is our race!

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #424 on: December 30, 2009, 12:34:07 PM »
 :yess:  Father & daughter (?) were standing next to this gate in the parking lot next to the temple.

photo album
photo album #2

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 07:34:40 PM by TexasLady »