Author Topic: The Amazing Race 16 Destinations/Locations  (Read 258242 times)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
Re: The Amazing Race 16 Destinations/Locations
« Reply #250 on: December 09, 2009, 01:45:28 PM »
Puddin, When was the shot taken?
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #251 on: December 09, 2009, 02:05:11 PM »
No San Diego.  It's definitely LA's Union Station.  Neobie has been there.  Me too.

:lol:  well, Union Station is in downtown L.A.   :groan:  So why were they seen way over by the Marriott, when they could have grabbed a cab right outside the station to get to LAX?  ...I don't think Light Rail goes to the airport yet

here's a 360 pano  showing the arrivals/departure/ticketing area of Union Station (requires a zoom in)

Like Neobie said, there is the Flyaway bus.  I use it to get to LAX.  When I'm not trying to break records.  It's a great bargain versus taxis.

Even better if they made the teams take the metro to LAX (Green line - Aviation station). I've done it - there's a 2 minute shuttle to LAX from the metro station.
So Red Line to Blue Line to Green line. If teams went the wrong way from the Marriot area on the Red line they end up at Union station
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #252 on: December 09, 2009, 02:14:32 PM »

Even better if they made the teams take the metro to LAX (Green line - Aviation station). I've done it - there's a 2 minute shuttle to LAX from the metro station.
So Red Line to Blue Line to Green line. If teams went the wrong way from the Marriot area on the Red line they end up at Union station

:colors  cool!... this calls for a map   :lol:

...so let's see, that was red line to blue line to green line... who's on first... I don't know... THIRD BASE!  :funny:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #253 on: December 09, 2009, 02:19:08 PM »
This is going to be fun!

It's a genuine "Make your way to the airport"

a)  ask for a ride  (this was reported)
b)  bus  (maybe Flyaway from Union Station)
c)  metro (maybe Red, Blue, Green, etc.)
d)  taxi  

Taxi?  Teams had enough cash to do a taxi.  I saw $100 bill plus more being exchanged at LAX for Chilean Pesos.  The average exchange rate of the Chilean Peso to the U.S Dollar was 1 U.S. Dollar to 522.46 Chilean Pesos in 2008 (wikipedia).

This shot was taken near the main entrance to Union Station.  The direction the Mompeneaurs are headed is consistent with entering at the front and going back to the Metro and Flyaway locations.  You would not need to go to where the shot was taken if you were arriving at Union Station by Metro.  You would just stay in the Metro area and transfer to the Blue line.

Or they could be lost in Union Station.   :lol:

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 02:31:36 PM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #254 on: December 09, 2009, 02:47:29 PM »
This is going to be fun!

d)  taxi  

Taxi?  Teams had enough cash to do a taxi.  I saw $100 bill plus more being exchanged at LAX for Chilean Pesos.  The average exchange rate of the Chilean Peso to the U.S Dollar was 1 U.S. Dollar to 522.46 Chilean Pesos in 2008 (wikipedia).

This shot was taken near the main entrance to Union Station.  The direction the Mompeneaurs are headed is consistent with entering at the front and going back to the Metro and Flyaway locations.  You would not need to go to where the shot was taken if you were arriving at Union Station by Metro.  You would just stay in the Metro area and transfer to the Blue line.

Hate to disagree with with a native - but the Blue line doesn't go to Union Station - only the Red and Purple - and no one wants to take the scary Purple line.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #255 on: December 09, 2009, 02:50:17 PM »
:lol:  well, Union Station is in downtown L.A.   :groan:  So why were they seen way over by the Marriott, when they could have grabbed a cab right outside the station to get to LAX?  ...I don't think Light Rail goes to the airport yet

here's a 360 pano  showing the arrivals/departure/ticketing area of Union Station (requires a zoom in)
Gotcha  :tup:

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #256 on: December 09, 2009, 02:50:50 PM »
This is going to be fun!

d)  taxi  

Hate to disagree with with a native - but the Blue line doesn't go to Union Station - only the Red and Purple - and no one wants to take the scary Purple line.
added - Forgot the orange line...

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #257 on: December 09, 2009, 02:53:16 PM »
Oh yeah, no Blue line at Union Station.  So if they arrived on the Red Line then they are lost looking for the Blue line.  I'm betting that they arrived on foot and are making their way to the Flyaway bus.

Here is a look at Union Station

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:49:24 PM by TexasLady »

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #258 on: December 09, 2009, 02:59:56 PM »
 :lol: Just a coincidence, but The Amazing L.A. Race had an event in downtown L.A. that same day, only at 11:00AM.  Our racers were probably long gone by then.   ;D

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #259 on: December 09, 2009, 03:08:09 PM »
and Purple - and no one wants to take the scary Purple line.

:ascared  but it parellels the Red line, except for Wilshire/Normandie and Wilshire/Western stations...   :lol:  who knew Koreatown was so scary....  :knuckles:  :snicker:

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #260 on: December 09, 2009, 04:10:51 PM »
Oh yeah, no Blue line at Union Station.  So if they arrived on the Red Line then they are lost looking for the Blue line.  I'm betting that they arrived on foot and are making their way to the Flyaway bus.

Not even enough budget for car rentals?  :'(

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #261 on: December 09, 2009, 04:20:57 PM »

Not even enough budget for car rentals?  :'(

On the contrary, if public transport freedom is true I will shower the producers with kisses. About time! :hearts:

Offline anon1akacolby

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #262 on: December 09, 2009, 04:33:07 PM »
Wow!  This is interesting if they had to take public transportation to LAX instead of the usual "drive yourself".  It is definitely different.....especially considering all the seasons that have started out of LA.....finally something different!

So are we to assume that the starting line is somewhere in downtown LA?  (do we know the starting location yet? I don't recall reading that)

Taking the Metro from Union Station isn't that difficult and could be quick.  From Union station, you'd have to take the Red Line or Purple Line to downtown (a couple of stops away I believe), transfer to the blue line, transfer to the green line, exit at Aviation, and take a free shuttle to the airport.    It could be a good alternative to driving/taking a taxi, during busy hours on the freeway.

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #263 on: December 09, 2009, 04:44:44 PM »
season 6 dont he cars

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #264 on: December 09, 2009, 04:54:29 PM »
season 6 dont he cars

There was a direct subway to the airport.
It will be awesome to see how teams get there w/o cars.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #265 on: December 09, 2009, 05:31:51 PM »
The question now is how does this fit with teams running past the LA downtown Marriott?

But I agree that making the teams navigate without cars to LAX from whereever the start line was would be a real surprise to the teams....most or all of whom had probably memorized all the possible expressway routes to LAX (and to Park One,  the show's favorite offsite parking for LAX).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 07:50:41 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #266 on: December 09, 2009, 05:58:47 PM »
This shot was taken at 5:12 pm (assumes December 1st).

Don't worry about what it is a shot of.  I just need to know what time the camera thought it was!

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:50:10 PM by TexasLady »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #267 on: December 09, 2009, 06:10:41 PM »
01 Dec  05:39 A.M. (timezone not specified).

Offline kimj

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #268 on: December 09, 2009, 06:50:55 PM »
who took the picture and where.

Offline 2old4tech

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #269 on: December 09, 2009, 07:03:23 PM »
I posted this stuff back on 11-28.  Tying Caper's film permit (Close the 2nd St tunnel)(get permit under a different name than WRP, to throw off RFF) with the sightings near the Downtown hotels and the "asked for a ride", but never posted my spec tying it together.

Quote from: 2old4tech on November 28, 2009, 07:28:35 PM

...and if you exit the tunnel at Hill, turn left and go one block to the Civic Center Station (Metro).

Once at Civic Center Staton take either of the two lines (Red or Purple) one stop to Union Station.  Once there it's...
Now there’s a fast, affordable
connection between Downtown
LA and LAX that’s easy to reach
from Metro Rail, Metro Bus,
Metrolink and Amtrak. Try the
new Union Station FlyAway.
FlyAway buses run 24 hours a day (every
30 minutes from 5 am to 1 am, and each
hour from 1 am to 5 am). The buses leave
from Bay 9 of the Patsaouras Transit Plaza
adjacent to Union Station via the East Portal.
> Tickets are $3 one-way ($2 each way for
children 2-12). Purchase tickets before you
board at the FlyAway kiosk in the Patsaouras
Transit Plaza. Note: Metro Passes are not
valid on this service.

Press release when the service started estimated 45 minute trip non-stop to LAX.  I don't live there, so don't know if this is accurate or even if this a good time for a Saturday late AM trip.  But it would mean no expensive rental cars and no driving. 
ReplyReply Reply with quoteQuote Notify of repliesNotify
9     The Amazing Race 15 Spoilers/Speculation / The Amazing Race 16 Spoilers/Speculation / Re: The Amazing Race 16 First Destination!    on: November 28, 2009, 07:28:35 PM
Quote from: 2old4tech on November 28, 2009, 06:37:19 PM

Turn left on Figuero Street as soon as you exit the 2nd Street Tunnel.  Hotel is about a block and a half.

...and if you exit the tunnel at Hill, turn left and go one block to the Civic Center Station (Metro).

Didn't see this anywhere, so...

From Caper's find upthread:
(9)
COMMUNI- Film L.A. Inc. #1, requesting Board grant @Radical
CATIONS Media, Inc. permission to close 2nd Street tunnel from
Hill Street to Figueroa Street on Saturday and Sunday,
November 28-29, 2009 from 5:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
for filming purposes

and the Downtown Mariott sighting...

A
Marriott Hotels Resorts Suites: Los Angeles Downtown Marriott‎unstarred - more info »
333 South Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, CA‎

Turn left on Figuero Street as soon as you exit the 2nd Street Tunnel.  Hotel is about a block and a half.

I think they started in the closed tunnel (away from Chateau's prying eyes and were told to make their way to Chile (so LAX).  We have the photo from union station that implies at least one team took public transportation.  I think they are headed for the Flyaway.

This is pretty speculative I know, but I'm going with it until better evidence comes along.  Puddin, please fell free to move this the spec thread if that's best.

Offline 2old4tech

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #270 on: December 09, 2009, 07:14:16 PM »
and here's a map, provided I did the attachment right (see screen name :lol:)

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:51:44 PM by TexasLady »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #271 on: December 09, 2009, 07:16:20 PM »
who took the picture and where
The same person that took the Union Station shot. The where is unimportant, it's an attempt to pin down the time of the Union Station shot. Unfortunately, unless she reset the camera-clock (tourists rarely do), I can only add to the confusion.
@Radical Communications Media
Radical is a well-established SM firm that does mostly commercials. WRP might list the permit under a false name (they've done it in the past), but I doubt they would use the Radical name.
Downtown Mariott sighting...
The 7th street station, where the blue and red lines meet, is nearby. A team with local savvy might head there on foot to save some time.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #272 on: December 09, 2009, 07:34:26 PM »
This shot was taken between 10:14 and 10:24 am (assumes November 28th).

Offline b4us

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #273 on: December 09, 2009, 07:39:40 PM »
Angeleno here:  

Metro light rail (blue line, transfer green line to LAX, and shuttle to terminals) is the fastest (35-40 minutes) and least expensive ($2.50 per person) route to LAX on Saturday morning.  Taxi is $46 and 1 hour or more.   There are taxis lines at major hotels, but depending on the startpoint taxis might be a rare option (LA recently passed ordinance allowing flagging a taxi downtown, but most don't know or try) .

As for the speculated startpoints and blue line metro stations:
Disney Concert Hall or California Plaza are 3 blocks from Civic Center station
Marriott is 2 blocks from Pershing Square station

Racers sighted in Union Station are lost and likely boarded northbound tracks in error, which is easily rectified in the boarding area of Union station.  However, the photo has them in the lobby area, which means they are likely headed to the taxis line, bus, or information booth.  

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #274 on: December 12, 2009, 10:32:44 PM »
Phil filming in Valparaiso, Chile 11/26

the market

« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 10:43:03 PM by puddin »