Author Topic: The Amazing Race 16 Destinations/Locations  (Read 257695 times)

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Amazing Race 16 Destinations/Locations
« Reply #525 on: January 23, 2010, 07:19:38 AM »
Although this doesn't jive with the Patagonian newspaper and could be a mistake...

England could potentially host the Birdman Rally in the preview, and a short train/ferry ride to our WWI battlefield!

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #526 on: January 23, 2010, 09:40:35 AM »
Although this doesn't jive with the Patagonian newspaper and could be a mistake...

England could potentially host the Birdman Rally in the preview, and a short train/ferry ride to our WWI battlefield!

Neobie, Liverpool is feasible and 392 miles from Paris (vs. 465 miles for Hamburg) and the Beatles ties to Liverpool are obvious.

Here are two sets of flight combinations from Sao Paulo to Liverpool via Munich and Amsterdam or London and Amsterdam:

LH505 GRU MUC 1440 0520+1
LH4690 MUC AMS 0635+1 0810+1 (note - KL1790 does the same route 0655 0845
KL1037 AMS LPL 1010 1035+1

JJ8084 GRU LHR 2350 1325+1
BD111 LHR AMS 1600+1 1820+1 (note - BA   does the same route 1630+1 1845+1)
KL1045 AMS LPL 2035+1 2100+1

Here are sets of flight combinations from Buenos Aires to Liverpool via Madrid and Amsterdam:

IB6844 EZE MAD 2240 1430+1
IB3250 MAD AMS 1550+1 1820+1 (note - KL1704 does the same route 1655 1940)
KL1045 AMS LPL 2035+1 2100+1

There is also another equivalent route through Rome and Amsterdam that provides nothing different in terms of departure or arrival times. My conclusion, as previously stated, is that GRU is a superior place to take the north-north-east transatlantic crossing unless you could not get there before 2pm.

I have found something truly extraordinary for flights from London nonstop to Liverpool - they do not exist, not just from Heathrow but form any of the several London area airports. I have to assume that BritRail has created this situation. If AR16 teams were allowed to, they should not be going from London to Amsterdam to get to Liverpool, as that is ridiculous. They should get to London's Euston station and take BritRail to Liverpool's Lime Street station. THis train departs 1607 and arrives 1815.

It does not make a lot of sense for AR16 teams to fly from Liverpool to a WWI battlefield in northern France. The logical place to arrive would be Lille and it takes 6 hours and 2 connections to get there. It makes more sense for a train from Liverpool to the Chunnel, then probably in Lille making connections to go by rail to Amiens or Arras.

Here is a list of Eurostar trains from London - St. Pancras to Lille:

06:20     09:07     01h47m     9108     
08:27    10:54    01h27m    9120     
11:04    13:26    01h22m    9126  
12:57        15:24         01h27m      9132
14:04    16:24    01h20m    9030

On the front of that is the schedule from Liverpool to London from 6am to noon:

Liverpool Lime Street   London Euston   2/02/10 - 06:05   2/02/10 - 08:22      2 h 17 min    Regular   0605   
Liverpool Lime Street   London Euston   2/02/10 - 07:00   2/02/10 - 09:01      2 h 1 min    Regular   0700
Liverpool Lime Street   London Euston   2/02/10 - 07:48   2/02/10 - 09:56      2 h 8 min    Regular   0748
Liverpool Lime Street   London Euston   2/02/10 - 08:48   2/02/10 - 10:56      2 h 8 min    Regular   0848       
Liverpool Lime Street   London Euston   2/02/10 - 09:48   2/02/10 - 11:56      2 h 8 min    Regular   0948
Liverpool Lime Street   London Euston   2/02/10 - 10:48   2/02/10 - 12:58      2 h 10 min    Regular   1048
Liverpool Lime Street   London Euston   2/02/10 - 11:48   2/02/10 - 13:56      2 h 8 min    Regular   1148

from Euston station, a brief London subway ride will get you to St. Pancras station for the departure of the Eurostar trains.

Lille is the major city and transit hub for northern France, so it will be easy to get trains going to a lot of places. We do not yet know which battlefield was selected, but it will probably be on of these:

Aisne
Argonne Forest/Meuse River
Arras (several battles of the Somme were actually a little south of the city in addition to being in it)
Amiens
Belleau Woods (thanks, Dr. Rox, I forgot that one)
Cambrai
Champagne
Chateau-Thierry
Le Cateau
Guise
Loos-en-Gohel
the Marne region
Messines
Neuve Chapel
the Somme region/Peronne/Picardy
St. Mihiel
Verdun
Vimy Ridge
Verdun

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 10:44:41 AM by apskip »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #527 on: January 23, 2010, 10:39:49 AM »
One a Marine, always a........

Belleau Woods (thanks, Dr. Rox, I forgot that one)

Chateau-Thierry

The Battle of Belleau Wood was the battle that the US Marine Corps. go the nickname "devil dogs" from the Germans. Since we had that Marine Corps new release, it made sense to me. The only reenactment of Belleau Wood I have found was last June in Virgina.

Still looking for Chateau-Thierry. It was a US Army battel. Both of these battles are considered part of the Battle for the Marne.
Matthew 7:15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #528 on: January 23, 2010, 10:53:05 AM »
Thanks apskip! Awesome transportation summary.

Another alternative that comes to mind would be for teams to to fly  into MANchester, which is the big international hub for that area, and then drive or take a train from there. I use that hub often, it is an easy airport.

I do wonder whether or not they would let them self drive when that involved driving on the left though? I know they have done it before when it mostly involved motorways, but in a small town it is different.  Some years I drive more miles on the left than I do here, but it is knack, and takes a little time to be comfortable.

I really like the thought of using the trains the best, fun to see!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #529 on: January 23, 2010, 01:04:12 PM »
Dr. Rox:
You are quite right that the battles of the Somme and the Marne involved overlap with other places on my list of French WWI battlefield. Here is a map of selected battles, including Chateau-Thierry east of Paris by 54 miles and a small distance east of Reims as #3:

Map Selected WWI Battlefields

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #530 on: January 23, 2010, 01:45:38 PM »
There's one other issue on the Beatles leg/event in terms of transportation, especially if teams were sent to Liverpool rather than Hamburg.

The weather. Even during late November and early December, the weather in the UK and Europe was stormy and cased a lot of rail delays. Eurostar was closed several times (I recall reading it was closed for days at one point during the holiday period, which was just after filming ended.)

If we have some dates, it might be worthwhile to check the weather for the cities in England, France, and Germany to see if it helps point one way or the other.

An is there any chance teams went to Hamburg, and then had to go to Liverpool, and then Northern France? If Hamburg was only a route marker or for half a leg or something, it would still move teams along.

As to the Beatles' connections btw, there's always Abbey Road in London.
-- theschnauzers

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #531 on: January 23, 2010, 01:51:27 PM »
Thanks apskip! Awesome transportation summary.

Another alternative that comes to mind would be for teams to to fly  into MANchester, which is the big international hub for that area, and then drive or take a train from there. I use that hub often, it is an easy airport.

I do wonder whether or not they would let them self drive when that involved driving on the left though? I know they have done it before when it mostly involved motorways, but in a small town it is different.  Some years I drive more miles on the left than I do here, but it is knack, and takes a little time to be comfortable.

I really like the thought of using the trains the best, fun to see!

Just for you, Peach, the connections to Manchester. Having connections in Heathrow to Manchester is a big plus which Liverpool does not have. From Sao Paulo there are 4 good ones departing in the evening:

GRU LHR BA246 1815 0715+1
LHR MAN BA1386 0855+1 0955+1

GRU FRA LH507 2005 1035+1
FRA MAN LH4852 1200+1 1240+1

GRU ZRH LX093 2030 1105+1
ZRH MAN LX394 1215+1 1310+1

GRU LHR JJ8084 2350 1325+1
LHR  MAN BA1396 1515+1 1615+1

There are also 3 combinations from Buenos Aires:

EZE LHR BA246 (same one as above stopping in GRU) 1315 0715+1
LHR MAN BA1386 0855+1 0955+1

EZE CDG AF417 1800 1100+1
CDG MAN AF2268 1315+1 1345+1

EZE FRA LH511 2150 1500+1
FRA MAN LH4856 1705+1 1745+1

to get from Manchester airport directly to Liverpool Lime Street, there are trains leaving at 41 after most hours of the day and arriving 1 hour 7 minutes later.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #532 on: January 23, 2010, 01:54:35 PM »
There's one other issue on the Beatles leg/event in terms of transportation, especially if teams were sent to Liverpool rather than Hamburg.

The weather. Even during late November and early December, the weather in the UK and Europe was stormy and cased a lot of rail delays. Eurostar was closed several times (I recall reading it was closed for days at one point during the holiday period, which was just after filming ended.)

If we have some dates, it might be worthwhile to check the weather for the cities in England, France, and Germany to see if it helps point one way or the other.

An is there any chance teams went to Hamburg, and then had to go to Liverpool, and then Northern France? If Hamburg was only a route marker or for half a leg or something, it would still move teams along.

the Schnauzers, you say several worthy things, but Abbey Road could not have been part of the Beatles early history. That was in Liverpool and Hamburg in 1957 through 1961, followed by their world success, then doing Abbey Road starting in 1969.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #533 on: January 23, 2010, 04:16:50 PM »

Weather from Dec 5-10 in  Liverpool is listed as upper 40's, no precip, winds 10-20mph...but "events" say rain and fog. Not bad actually. :lol:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/EGGP/2009/12/5/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Liverpool&req_state=&req_statename=United+Kingdom
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #534 on: January 23, 2010, 04:41:46 PM »
I'm not sold on the one source pointing towards Liverpool yet, because the article might have been the result of a misunderstanding by that writer.

But then, we only have one spoiled article pointing towards Germany (in general), but the reference to the early days of the Beatles can be seen as support, Or maybe for both. If those dates seem pretty solid for the Europen legs, then checking all of the various possible venues would be worth while, if for no other reason than to see if weather might have caused a last minute change in any of the legs. (Think Family Edition and Belize.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #535 on: January 23, 2010, 05:09:22 PM »
I'm not sold on the one source pointing towards Liverpool yet, because the article might have been the result of a misunderstanding by that writer.

But then, we only have one spoiled article pointing towards Germany (in general), but the reference to the early days of the Beatles can be seen as support, Or maybe for both. If those dates seem pretty solid for the Europen legs, then checking all of the various possible venues would be worth while, if for no other reason than to see if weather might have caused a last minute change in any of the legs. (Think Family Edition and Belize.)

I have read 3 articles were Liverpool, England is mentioned. All three are by respected sources that are given Press Reports by CBS. It says  Beatles-centric puzzle in Liverpool, England as being a loction they visit this season.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #536 on: January 23, 2010, 05:10:01 PM »
There are multiple articles out there now, theschnauzers, I think we are seeing a later press release.

http://www.etonline.com/gallery/featured/2010/01/83179/index.html

a grueling World War I reenactment in France, retracing the early days of iconic rock group The Beatles in England and facing off with one of the world's most infamous villains.

I don't thtink there is any doubt any more, reporters don't make this stuff up, they work with the info they are given.

And weather during that time doesn't seem to be an issue in Liverpool, just another rainy day in the UK!

GMTA, Sailing! :ty3:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 05:13:24 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #537 on: January 23, 2010, 05:16:43 PM »
When they say facing off with one of the world's most infamous villains is that talking about England or some other location they visit?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #538 on: January 23, 2010, 05:23:07 PM »
I think it is another location. In spec the theory seems to be Darth Vador... :vader: If they had said universe and not world, we would know for sure!!

We know there were Storm Troopers at Lucas Films, Chateau and I got with-out-a-doubt confirmation of that.

Here is a nice article on Beatle mania week in Liverpool...did y'all know that 2010 marks the 40th anniversary of the Beatles breakup?? I didn't...

http://www.americanwaymag.com/the-beatles-liverpool-john-lennon-george-harrison

There are many other similar Beatles points of interest around town to see as well, and the best way to hit them all is on a Magical Mystery Tour, which is offered not just during the Beatle Week festivities but year-round. The two-hour bus tour, accompanied by a soundtrack of Beatles tunes (appropriately matched to the sites), takes passengers to all four members’ childhood homes as well as to Penny Lane, Strawberry Field, and St. Peter’s Church in Woolton, where Lennon and McCartney first met at a fete in 1957 and where Eleanor Rigby is supposedly buried.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 05:28:59 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #539 on: January 23, 2010, 05:31:35 PM »
There are multiple articles out there now, theschnauzers, I think we are seeing a later press release.

http://www.etonline.com/gallery/featured/2010/01/83179/index.html

a grueling World War I reenactment in France, retracing the early days of iconic rock group The Beatles in England and facing off with one of the world's most infamous villains.

I don't thtink there is any doubt any more, reporters don't make this stuff up, they work with the info they are given.

And weather during that time doesn't seem to be an issue in Liverpool, just another rainy day in the UK!

GMTA, Sailing! :ty3:

I do think CBS is fine tuning their press releases a little more. This one

"Presumed Liverpool" Press Release

was from Thur, Jan 21,2010. It says "presumably Liverpool". I like Liverpool for "early years of Beatles".

Edited the date per Peache's question below.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:25:58 PM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #540 on: January 23, 2010, 05:45:45 PM »
I think that one is from Thursday the 21st? I saw it in the flurry that day.

SO we moved from presumed trip to The Beatles in London to a puzzle.

Running around Liverpool finding the locations would be a puzzle. :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline misterblah

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #541 on: January 25, 2010, 01:32:36 PM »
From: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100121/ap_en_tv/us_tv_amazing_race16
LOS ANGELES – Jet and Cord McCoy, a pair of bull-riding brothers from Tupelo, Okla., are among the 11 teams competing on the upcoming 16th edition of CBS's "The Amazing Race." Other teams competing this season include a grandmother and granddaughter, a father and daughter, married high-school sweethearts, and a couple of attorney moms.

Jet, 30, and Cord, 29, who have both competed on the International Professional Rodeo Association circuit, said they were not daunted by their competition for the $1 million grand prize on the reality show premiering Feb. 14 (8 p.m. EST).

"We ride bucking bulls and horses," said Jet. "If we're gonna be intimidated, it's not by another team."

"I can ride a horse as fast as they can go," said Cord.

The biggest hurdle facing Louis Stravato, 47, and Michael Naylor, 45, at the beginning of the race was their backpacks. After seeing the behemoth bags carried by the Harlem Globtrotters last season, the longtime buddies and narcotics detectives from Providence, R.I., chose not to pack lightly. They ended up ditching clothes along the way.

"We are the two biggest idiots," said Stravato. "Before the race, we kept telling ourselves that the cameramen were going to have to check their stuff, so we would be able to check our giant 90-liter bags while we were racing around the world. When we got to the starting line and saw all these small bags on everybody else, we knew we were in big trouble."

A few of this season's contestants have previously been in the spotlight, including former "Big Brother" houseguests Jordan Lloyd, 22, and Jeff Schroeder, 31, as well as former Miss Teen South Carolina Caitlin Upton, 20, who is racing with her boyfriend, Brent Horne, 28. Upton said she wanted to redeem herself on the race after her infamous 2007 pageant flub involving a confused and mangled response to a geography question.

"People always picture me as the typical pageant girl, and I'm not at all," said Upton. "I've only been in five pageants. I'm actually a very athletic person. I'm just tired of being represented from that standpoint. I want to show people who I really am as a person, that I am capable of accomplishing anything and doing anything I put my mind to."

Lloyd and Schroeder, who began dating after Lloyd won the 11th season of "Big Brother" last summer, said fans of the claustrophobic reality show might be surprised to see how much the duo bickered on the 16th season of "The Amazing Race," which was filmed last November and December and spanned nearly 40,000 miles across five continents and eight countries.

"I wasn't prepared for how much we had to work together," admitted Schroeder.

"He wanted to ring my neck," added Lloyd, "and other times I wanted to kill him."

"Jordan, I was trying to say it in a nice way," said Schroeder.

For the first time, when the teams departed "The Amazing Race" starting line, they had to rely solely on public transportation — no rental cars, no taxis — to make their way from downtown Los Angeles to the airport, a world-class challenge in itself. Executive producer Bertram van Munster said the racers then headed to Valparaiso, Chile. Other stops included France and the Seychelles.

"We have never been to that place before," van Munster said of the lush island destination off the east coast of Africa. "We were looking into going to Africa, but I couldn't find any countries that would fit into the entire scheme of the race, and I wanted to go to an original place. It's very beautiful. It's very remote. It takes forever to get there."

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #542 on: January 25, 2010, 03:28:45 PM »
 :groan: Please read before you post misterblah.

Offline Mattjimf

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #543 on: January 25, 2010, 03:53:15 PM »
The weather in the UK at the start of December was typical autumn weather, no major snow or storms until the 18th. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/8421994.stm

The 8th of Dec is the anniversary of John Lennon's death, also there was a film about John Lennon's early life called nowhere boy released at the beginning of December.

THe
When they say facing off with one of the world's most infamous villains is that talking about England or some other location they visit?

I think this is probably to do with the WW2 re-enactment, what with Hitler being involved and all. 

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #544 on: January 25, 2010, 03:58:56 PM »
The weather in the UK at the start of December was typical autumn weather, no major snow or storms until the 18th. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/8421994.stm

The 8th of Dec is the anniversary of John Lennon's death, also there was a film about John Lennon's early life called nowhere boy released at the beginning of December.

THe

I think this is probably to do with the WW2 re-enactment, what with Hitler being involved and all.  

It is a World War I battle they re-enact not World War II.

Offline Mattjimf

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #545 on: January 25, 2010, 04:29:34 PM »

THe

It is a World War I battle they re-enact not World War II.

Ooops got a bit caught up.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #546 on: January 25, 2010, 04:33:01 PM »
We have been discussing the villain in the speculation (remember speculation, lol?)  thread...chances are it could be Darth Vader.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline misterblah

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #547 on: January 26, 2010, 08:04:03 AM »
oopsie! sorry! but just so you know, again, you should add two more locations: The Seychelles and France so you might wanna put that in your timeline.  :tup:

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #548 on: January 27, 2010, 01:16:35 PM »
oopsie! sorry! but just so you know, again, you should add two more locations: The Seychelles and France so you might wanna put that in your timeline.  :tup:

They are already listed on the first page in this thread, which is updated more frequently with the lastest information. Both locations were confirmed by CBS when the cast was released last week.  ;)

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #549 on: January 28, 2010, 03:24:45 PM »

I thought Jack the Ripper for a while, but since we know they go see Darth Vader in San Fran, thats probably it!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.