Author Topic: Ep#12: Which team hits the jackpot?  (Read 31173 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Ep#12: Which team hits the jackpot?
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2009, 04:48:14 PM »

Puddin you only know what you see, like the rest of us, Season 15, one night a week. We don't "really" know the guy but if there was enough footage to edit and make him look like an idiot, my guess, he is an idiot. Looks fade.
Maybe you don't "really" know the guy but I do  :waves:

Sweetheart, you must know a lot of people. A few hours hanging with a person doesn't mean you know them. The only thing you know is what we all know, their TV personality.
How do you know what I know and don't know? or for that matter, what we "all" know?

Offline CountryT6905

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2009, 04:49:10 PM »
I am really surprised about the number of people who say that would have kept there word.  As so many racers lie to other teams over the various seasons.  From tasks to navigation, ect.

My guess is that everyone saw how confused Danbo(Dumbo) was with the task. He couldn't figure out anything. I understand strategy and I understand "racers lie to other teams" but he wasn't using strategy. I doubt if he knows how to spell it.
This makes no sense.

First one would need to discover how long each of the four racers took to complete a task.  Of which we don't know.  All we do know is that Big Easy took hours.  And we would logically need to see that data.  Once we get departure times (from this week, and thanks to several shots of clocks out during the the episode) we will get a much better idea of how teams really did.  

But you do understand that every team so far as had trouble with some tasks, and that doesn't indicate one's intelligence.  Someone might do something that is stupid, but that doesn't mean that person is stupid.  

I mean logically go through each episode and look at the tasks people had trouble with.  Does the fact that Meghan & Cheyne took hours to put together Hookah's mean they are stupid (they were slower at this task then many teams)?  Or is it just not a skill set they have?

Ericka couldn't count bells worth a crap?  Is she stupid.  In that sam leg, look how much trouble that team had with simply following the instructions of the clue?  Are they both stupid?  Meghan wasn't able to open a locked door with a set of 10 keys, yet Dan managed with no problem, does that mean Meghan is dumber then Dan?  We have Cheyne picking up normal sized instruments left and right, when the clue specifically mentions that they are looking for miniature ones (and is reminded of this by his teammate, and he continues getting normal sized ones, at least three more are shown in footage).  Brian couldn't even get his car going (losing a huge amount of time) how does that indicate his intelligence.

And yes Dan is emotional (he does seem to wear his emotions on his sleeve), so what.  He is hardly the only racer to cry, nor is he the only racer to whine, nor is he the only racer to yell.  Now that might be annoying to you (and that is certainly understandable, its not something I do).  But it doesn't have anything to do with if he is a nice person, or his intelligence or skill sets.

Hell people love the Bowling Moms, yet how often did they complain?  How often did they cry?  How often did they do something questionable?  How often did they yell?  The answer is a lot.  And yet they are a beloved team.  Look at Kevin & Drew and ask the same questions, and god they did it all as well, yet they are also a beloved team.  And in most every case you can pick a team (especially ones that last) and find more then one example of them making a poor choice or doing something that we think is stupid.

Then you type "If there was enough footage to edit and make him look like an idiot, my guess, he is an idiot"

So you think all the racers are idiots, then?  Certainly we have seen far worse errors made (hell just on this season, by several racers) including people in the final.

But what are the events that show "dan" to be an idiot?  And how exactly are they worse then the mistakes the other racers (just in this season have made)?  

Again you can like which ever team you like (or which racer you like), but I don't think it is to much for you (and for me and everyone else as well) to judge each of them on based on the same scale.

Mswood  :colors

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2009, 07:11:12 PM »
Editing only goes so far. Sam & Dan DID have to actually provide the material. I suspect that if any of the teams in one of these last legs acted like that, it would have made it onto the screen even if the editors wanted us to like them. These fights obviously weren't fabricated.

But at the same time, for all I know I may be that person when I'm on the race and under all the stress that goes along with that (and in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I was). So I don't think TV personality is enough to judge a person on (at least not their character). Best not to judge them at all until you know them, and even then, judgment is likely not made knowing all the facts. So yeah, don't judge a person's ultimate character.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline CountryT6905

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2009, 08:11:08 PM »

Puddin you only know what you see, like the rest of us, Season 15, one night a week. We don't "really" know the guy but if there was enough footage to edit and make him look like an idiot, my guess, he is an idiot. Looks fade.
Maybe you don't "really" know the guy but I do  :waves:

Sweetheart, you must know a lot of people. A few hours hanging with a person doesn't mean you know them. The only thing you know is what we all know, their TV personality.
How do you know what I know and don't know? or for that matter, what we "all" know?

Because you are not in Liberty, MO.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2009, 11:38:10 PM »
Editing only goes so far. Sam & Dan DID have to actually provide the material. I suspect that if any of the teams in one of these last legs acted like that, it would have made it onto the screen even if the editors wanted us to like them. These fights obviously weren't fabricated.

But at the same time, for all I know I may be that person when I'm on the race and under all the stress that goes along with that (and in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I was). So I don't think TV personality is enough to judge a person on (at least not their character). Best not to judge them at all until you know them, and even then, judgment is likely not made knowing all the facts. So yeah, don't judge a person's ultimate character.
At most I think editing might have shown more elements of teams arguing (and I mean for all the teams), or some vocal editing (which is also known to happen) such as Cheyne, Cheyne, Cheyne, Brian, Brian, Brian, or either of the brothers at each other.  Certainly all three types of events did happen (and probably fairly often), but did it reflect the on average 16 hours they spent with each other day after day (probably not).  In fact I would say that we got a could mix of the bad and good of each of the teams.

The only event that I think got talked about a lot was the taxi taking, and the lying to Big Easy.  Now we know teams lie to other teams (it happens a lot, from "Did you find the clue?"  "No" (which the number of teams that have lied about that our tickets, ect is probably a majority of teams.  To racers trying to manipulate circumstances to their favor (getting another's cab, telling ticket agents not to help, telling hotel clerks not to help, ect) also happens usually several times each season.  But we never heard Phil talk , for example about the Trotters "taunting", or how the Trotters threatened increased physical contact with Sam and Dan, Meghan & Cheyne breaking their word twice with two different teams.  Now one Makes since (as that team doesn't know that they did it), but the other did.

But judge the material fairly.  Does Sam (or Dan) get upset after the arguing?  Nope, in fact they (with one exception) laugh it off.  The exception was one member being so upset with himself, not the person getting yelled at being upset.  This is also the same with either of the final two couples who have often fought with each other, yet both teams seem to not let it have any real effect on their feelings toward each other.  That type of arguing usually doesn't bother me.  Its the teams that when they argue, they really seem hurt and that hurt stays with them.

I mean look at season 9 you had two couples that lasted most of the season, one argued all the time (MOJO) and one that almost never argued (Ray & Yolanda).  Yet Mojo always got over their fighting, and quickly.  Ray & Yolanda (the one fight they had) lasted two full days.  They were upset and mad at each other, and it took a long time for them to process it.  We see many other examples of this (especially with clips) of all sorts of teams Friends, families, couples, ect having this problem. 

And when it comes to racers making poor or stupid choices (or being an "idiot"), one only has to look at this episode to see examples from every single team.

The one poster I was responding to seem to be expressing that only one racer was idiot.  And that, truly doesn't reflect what was broadcast on the show.  At least in so much that the other racers all made numerous errors.

Offline CountryT6905

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2009, 06:52:00 AM »

[/quote]At most I think editing might have shown more elements of teams arguing (and I mean for all the teams), or some vocal editing (which is also known to happen) such as Cheyne, Cheyne, Cheyne, Brian, Brian, Brian, or either of the brothers at each other.  Certainly all three types of events did happen (and probably fairly often), but did it reflect the on average 16 hours they spent with each other day after day (probably not).  In fact I would say that we got a could mix of the bad and good of each of the teams.

The only event that I think got talked about a lot was the taxi taking, and the lying to Big Easy.  Now we know teams lie to other teams (it happens a lot, from "Did you find the clue?"  "No" (which the number of teams that have lied about that our tickets, ect is probably a majority of teams.  To racers trying to manipulate circumstances to their favor (getting another's cab, telling ticket agents not to help, telling hotel clerks not to help, ect) also happens usually several times each season.  But we never heard Phil talk , for example about the Trotters "taunting", or how the Trotters threatened increased physical contact with Sam and Dan, Meghan & Cheyne breaking their word twice with two different teams.  Now one Makes since (as that team doesn't know that they did it), but the other did.

But judge the material fairly.  Does Sam (or Dan) get upset after the arguing?  Nope, in fact they (with one exception) laugh it off.  The exception was one member being so upset with himself, not the person getting yelled at being upset.  This is also the same with either of the final two couples who have often fought with each other, yet both teams seem to not let it have any real effect on their feelings toward each other.  That type of arguing usually doesn't bother me.  Its the teams that when they argue, they really seem hurt and that hurt stays with them.

I mean look at season 9 you had two couples that lasted most of the season, one argued all the time (MOJO) and one that almost never argued (Ray & Yolanda).  Yet Mojo always got over their fighting, and quickly.  Ray & Yolanda (the one fight they had) lasted two full days.  They were upset and mad at each other, and it took a long time for them to process it.  We see many other examples of this (especially with clips) of all sorts of teams Friends, families, couples, ect having this problem. 

And when it comes to racers making poor or stupid choices (or being an "idiot"), one only has to look at this episode to see examples from every single team.

The one poster I was responding to seem to be expressing that only one racer was idiot.  And that, truly doesn't reflect what was broadcast on the show.  At least in so much that the other racers all made numerous errors.

OK, OK, OK I was a little hard on the Beaver, but it's my opinion. I don't think he needs anyone to take up for him. He is a GROWN man. Of course, there were other teams that made some bone head mistakes. I think it's wonderful how the teams didn't let it affect their game. My issue was the heart felt cry that made America sigh and seemed to be a turning point AND it was, a turning point for more yelling and screaming. I said it before and I will repeat what Big Easy said, "You are what you are!" No amount of editing can change it....We live in the real world, not TV.