Author Topic: Speculation on TAR16 *no wish-lists please*  (Read 277068 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Speculation on TAR16 *no wish-lists please*
« Reply #850 on: January 25, 2010, 08:08:38 PM »
TwentyHeroes did a HELL of a job making that! Big Kudos to him!

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #851 on: January 25, 2010, 09:10:59 PM »
wonder what song was play on prom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c47fuMxVnBQ

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #852 on: January 25, 2010, 10:38:16 PM »
Random thought. Getting dropped off at the starting line in a park by a bus? Making your way to the airport by public transport? That sounds very much like we're back to TAR Classic!

*prays for good things to come*

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #853 on: January 25, 2010, 11:12:37 PM »
Random thought. Getting dropped off at the starting line in a park by a bus? Making your way to the airport by public transport? That sounds very much like we're back to TAR Classic!

I had the exact same thought when the first day of tweets came in that indicated the teams weren't driving but were seen running and going to train and bus terminals.

(It now means that one Race out of New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles have started with public transportation.)
-- theschnauzers

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #854 on: January 25, 2010, 11:48:03 PM »

I had the exact same thought when the first day of tweets came in that indicated the teams weren't driving but were seen running and going to train and bus terminals.

(It now means that one Race out of New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles have started with public transportation.)

The best part is that getting to LAX is not direct at all. Not a single rail line goes to the airport  :neener:

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #855 on: January 26, 2010, 03:11:47 PM »
Is there anyway they could have gone to England instead of Germany? I came across this article when I was searching google and found this. It could be a typo  :duno: :

first stop in Chile and later challenges including the reenactment of a World War I battle in France and a Beatles-centric puzzle in Liverpool, England.

The quote in this article is based upon the writer's thought that a mention of early Beattles meant their early time in Liverpool. Many people only associate the Beattles in Liverpool and are not aware of their early and first appearances in Hamburg, Germany. So this could just be the writer's interpretation of the CBS press release.  If the teams go to Hamburg in search of the Beattles, then they might continue by auto down through Germany to visit either infamous German concentration camps of Buchenwald or Dachau (as TAR did previously at Auschwitz-Birkenau) where they could meet the world's most infamous villan: Adolph Hitler (recreated, of course).  The teams could easily then continue on through Strasbourg by car to the WWI reenactment site in Lille, France.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 03:18:33 PM by gingerman28 »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #856 on: January 26, 2010, 05:02:45 PM »
Gman,
I typically agree with most things you say, but not this time. The distance from Hamburg to Dachau is about 776 km which is about 6 hours 53 mins by Autobahn. Hamburg is near the northwest corner of Germany and Munich (Dachau is 10 km away) is near its southeast corner and it is a big country. Buchenwald is near Weimar in the center of Germany, but is still 390 km, 240 miles and 4hours 20 minutes away. Besides that, Liverpool is specifically mentioned in at least one of the articles written about AR16. After getting to Dachau it would be 677 km or   421 miles to Seclin and a shorter but still huge distance from Buchenwald to Seclin.

The distances from Liverpool to Seclin are shorter and the timing quicker than either of the above. I am not going to state for sure that your scenario will not happen, but a its probability is too low to think about.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #857 on: January 26, 2010, 06:56:01 PM »
http://www.thefootymaniac.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=tar&thread=7&page=1

It says about the Battle of the Bulge which was in December 1943/44?

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #858 on: January 26, 2010, 07:03:38 PM »
Basically, wrong war and wrong countries.  Battle of the Bulge is WWII and was centered in Belgium and Luxemboug.....with very minor action on French soil. Antwerp, Belguim was the object of the German couter-attack. So the axis of the attack was from the Ardennes to Antwerp, away from France.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 07:41:36 PM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #859 on: January 26, 2010, 07:36:22 PM »
I'm surprised to see how close Lille is to Belgium. If they actually went to Belgium Hamburg (typo changes the meaning of my sentence), I will be sorely disappointed that they didn't stop in Brussels  :'(

OTOH, the cliffs of Dover are interesting. Easy to take a ferry to Calais from there...

ETA: Are there trains to France besides Eurostar from Ashford?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 10:38:32 PM by Caelestor »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #860 on: January 26, 2010, 08:46:11 PM »
I'm surprised to see how close Lille is to Belgium. If they actually went to Belgium, I will be sorely disappointed they didn't stop in Brussels  :'(

OTOH, the cliffs of Dover are interesting. Easy to take a ferry to Calais from there...
Caelestor,
The Chunnel goes under the White Cliffs of Dover at Folkestone and comes out at the Pas-de Calais. It is much quicker and more expensive than the traditional ferry crossings. I too would love to see Belgium, a neat country with some world-class cities (Brussels, Ghent and Bruges) on the Amazing Race. It will happen, but despite the proximity to Lille and Seclin I don't think AR16 found time to go there. I hope I am wrong in that prediction.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #861 on: January 27, 2010, 02:37:09 PM »
Gman,
I typically agree with most things you say, but not this time. The distance from Hamburg to Dachau is about 776 km which is about 6 hours 53 mins by Autobahn. Hamburg is near the northwest corner of Germany and Munich (Dachau is 10 km away) is near its southeast corner and it is a big country. Buchenwald is near Weimar in the center of Germany, but is still 390 km, 240 miles and 4hours 20 minutes away. Besides that, Liverpool is specifically mentioned in at least one of the articles written about AR16. After getting to Dachau it would be 677 km or   421 miles to Seclin and a shorter but still huge distance from Buchenwald to Seclin.

The distances from Liverpool to Seclin are shorter and the timing quicker than either of the above. I am not going to state for sure that your scenario will not happen, but a its probability is too low to think about.

Apskip, I was only trying to tie in the "world's mosts infamous villian" who in my mind is Aldolf Hitler, but it could be Jack the Ripper or Dr.James Moriarty in London for all I know.  But the one article that mentions Liverpool quotes the CBS press release almost in toto but adds Beattles in Liverpool which is not mentioned in the press release.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 02:40:38 PM by gingerman28 »

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #862 on: January 28, 2010, 01:07:34 AM »
If they came on the same flight, how were the F3 not seen? ???
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline valor boreal

• RFF Jr. Member
  • OS Race Fan
« Reply #863 on: January 28, 2010, 05:19:22 AM »
Hmmm, I would have thought that the Rieper Bahn (which was where the club where The Beatles had their residency in Hamburg was) would have been a big place for sightings.

On the topic of notorious villains, what about Napolean Bonaparte?

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #864 on: January 28, 2010, 05:51:29 AM »
Hmmm, I would have thought that the Rieper Bahn (which was where the club where The Beatles had their residency in Hamburg was) would have been a big place for sightings.

On the topic of notorious villains, what about Napolean Bonaparte?

We have twitter reports of racers with Star Wars Storm Troopers at the Lucas Films building in San Francisco. I'd expect that Darth Vader (well known notorious villain) hands them a clue. Sort of like how they used Wayne Newton last season.

Plaidmoon

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #865 on: January 28, 2010, 06:05:07 AM »
Possible route??

Leg 1: Los Angeles, USA - Valaparasio, Chile
Leg 2: Valaparasio, Chile - Puerto Varas, Chile
Leg 3: Puerto Varas, Chile - Baroliche, Argentina
Leg 4: Baroliche, Argentina - Asunción, Paraguay
Leg 5: Asunción, Paraguay - England
Leg 6: Liverpool, England - France
Leg 7: France - Seychelles
Leg 8: Seychelles - KL, Malaysia
Leg 9: KL, Malaysia - Penang, Malaysia
Leg 10: Penang - Singapore
Leg 11: Singapore - Shanghai, China
Leg 12: Shanghai - San Francisco

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #866 on: January 28, 2010, 07:20:12 AM »
Leg 1: Los Angeles, USA - Valaparasio, Chile
Leg 2: Valaparasio, Chile - Puerto Varas, Chile
Leg 3: Puerto Varas, Chile - Baroliche, Argentina
Leg 4: Baroliche, Argentina - Asunción, Paraguay
Leg 5: Asunción, Paraguay - England
Leg 6: Liverpool, England - France
Leg 7: France - Seychelles
Leg 8: Seychelles - KL, Malaysia
Leg 9: KL, Malaysia - Penang, Malaysia
Leg 10: Penang - Singapore
Leg 11: Singapore - Shanghai, China
Leg 12: Shanghai - San Francisco

Sounds reasonable, except I would remove Asuncion (false spoiler) and Kuala Lumpur (not enough time between Penang and Singapore), and put in an extra leg in Shanghai. I can't guarantee that there's a 12th leg, but if there is it would lie somewhere between Bariloche and the Seychelles.

Offline woden

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #867 on: January 28, 2010, 07:57:49 AM »
Neobie, I'm updating the timeline currently and trying to figure out the last several legs. Here are the sightings we have:

Dec 12: Phil spotted in Dubai en route to Malaysia
Dec 14: Team (boys) spotted en route from KL to Penang
Dec 15: Phil spotted in Penang International Airport McDonald's (apx 5:45pm)

So if teams are in Seychelles on 12/11, I think there's time for a KL leg on 12/12 and/or 12/13. Having trouble finding time for a second Shanghai leg, though. Our report of filming in Shanghai for 3-4 days is pretty typical for a single leg (including production set-up/tear-down time). Can you help?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #868 on: January 28, 2010, 01:20:28 PM »
Don't forget the actual video filming time in Penang...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #869 on: January 28, 2010, 03:37:35 PM »
I'm thinking:

Leg 1: Los Angeles, California to Valparaiso, Chile
Leg 2: Valparaiso, Chile to Puerto Varas, Chile
Leg 3: Puerto Varas, Chile to Bariloche, Argentina
Leg 4: Bariloche, Argentina to Liverpool, England and possibly Germany?
Leg 5: England/Germany to somewhere in France (rural)
Leg 6: somewhere in France to Lilles, France
Leg 7: Lilles, France to Seychelles
Leg 8: Seychelles to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Leg 9: KL, Malaysia to Penang, Malaysia
Leg 10: Penang, Malaysia to Singapore City, Singapore
Leg 11: Singapore, Singapore to Shanghai, China
Leg 12: Shanghai, China to San Francisco, California
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #870 on: January 28, 2010, 03:49:45 PM »
Last time I am going to say this...8 countries per the Press releases.

You can't have both England and Germany so you get to pick only one.

I pick England.  :lol:

The route is already pretty well organized in the Timeline thread thanks to woden's hard work, see the first post there...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

DavidJunior

« Reply #871 on: January 28, 2010, 04:46:19 PM »
i say the route is this:

2 legs in Canada, followed by a leg in Belgium, and a couple of legs in Germany.  Then they make their way to Djibouti for a leg, before continuing on to Dubai.  From there they head to Indonesia then head to Australia for two legs.  Finally, they hit Paraguay before heading back to the US for the final leg in Dallas:lol3:

there's 12 legs, in 8 countries, on 5 continents (if you count all americas as one)  :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #872 on: January 28, 2010, 04:54:07 PM »
i say the route is this:

2 legs in Canada, followed by a leg in Belgium, and a couple of legs in Germany.  Then they make their way to Djibouti for a leg, before continuing on to Dubai.  From there they head to Indonesia then head to Australia for two legs.  Finally, they hit Paraguay before heading back to the US for the final leg in Dallas:lol3:

HEEE!! Don't forget the Masada!! :lol3:
there's 12 legs, in 8 countries, on 5 continents (if you count all americas as one)  :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #873 on: January 29, 2010, 01:05:29 AM »
i say the route is this:

Seems feasable. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

You guys crack me up! :jam:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #874 on: January 30, 2010, 04:18:13 PM »
okay, no Germany, 1 leg in France and 2 in China is more of a possibility then!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.